The Last of Us The Last Of Us Remake

And here I was thinking a Resident Evil 4 remake was unnecessary.
At least they're doing something different with RE4.

I think its good that iconic games are getting new versions for each generation. I replay my favorite games at least once a year and these new versions keep the experience fresh.

But charging $70 is horse****. Games from the PS3 generation should be $30 at most, PS4 games should be $40 at most. Naughty Dog made a kings random off of LOU2 and have already made mountains of cash from LOU 1 on 2 console generations. Asking or expecting the fans to pay $70 for LOU 1 is a damn insult.

I may buy this down the line but certainly not for $70.

I'm looking forward to it presumably bringing along TLOUPII's photo mode. I spend a lot of time with those so I'll get my money's worth of enjoyment out of this. The more lifelike graphics and haptic feedback will be nice too.

And here I was thinking a Resident Evil 4 remake was unnecessary.
At least they're doing something different with RE4.
For me, the only "good thing" about this remake is I guess the graphiX are now on par with Part II. But I eXpect the gameplay to be the same.

I really don't want to buy and play a game that was already remastered for the ps4 which I already bought for less than 20 dollars. Sony has the other games with super outdated graphiX and gameplay. They could have remade God of War 1 and 2 or some games, I missed out during the ps1/2/3 era.

I understand people not wanting to shell out full price for a game, if they don't think the upgrade is substantial enough.

But I bought TLOU Remastered in 2014, and while I appreciated the improvements, I still felt very aware that it was graphical upgrades slapped on top of the original. Still enjoyed it, but I think most people would have to admit, you can always feel the difference a little compared to a from the ground up remake.

Now, 8 years later, I get the chance to play a fantastic game again but have it feel almost brand new again? Sure, I immediately see the value in that.

Again, I understand if this product isn't for everyone, but still think there's maybe some selective memory going on. Like, we have seen some absolutely garbage, rushed out the door and make money fast "Remasters" in the last 5 or so years, from huge companies that should know better. Like what the hell was AC 2 Ezio edition from Ubisoft? Or Rockstars GTA collection?

When I look at the minimum effort most companies put into this stuff, I will happily pay the money to be able to play one of the best games of the last decade in the best possible quality.

And as for the timing, Sony isn't stupid. They have an upcoming, huge budget TV show that is going to multiply their audience massively. It's a smart move to have an up to date edition, for their newest console, that also rolls straight into TLOU 2. If you've owned 2 versions of this game already, and this one doesn't do anything for you, then the product probably isn't for you anyway, so what's the issue?

Last edited:
Another aspect that will be greatly improved with this remaster are the accessibility options. Much like TLOU2, these extra options will give many people the chance to play this masterpiece that otherwise could have never played it.

Here's another great breakdown by DF.

Has it been confirmed if the Left Behind DLC will be incorporated into the main game for the remake? Because if it is, that'd actually be a pretty big selling point for me. On my last playthrough of TLOU I exited the main game after chapter 8, played the DLC content then picked up again on chapter 9.

Has it been confirmed if the Left Behind DLC will be incorporated into the main game for the remake? Because if it is, that'd actually be a pretty big selling point for me. On my last playthrough of TLOU I exited the main game after chapter 8, played the DLC content then picked up again on chapter 9.

Yeah, I always do that too. Having it seamlessly incorporated would be great.

Who knows if Sony would try to charge eXtra for it?

Who knows if Sony would try to charge eXtra for it?

I think Drizz means whether Left Behind is still treated as an add on that you access from the menu, or whether it's been slotted into the original game after Chapter 8, so its all one big story.

Have I bought 'The Last Of Us' two times already? Yes. Am I going to buy it again at full price? Yes.

Because the game is just that dang good to me!

I think the new stuff looks fantastic, but it also says a lot about how top notch Naughty Dog's character artists have always been that the original stuff still looks good too. The remake is an obvious, unquestionable improvement, but it just goes to show that good art direction can go a loooooong way.

It kinda reminds me of if you compare Uncharted characters from UC 3 to UC 4. They look great and more realistic in UC4, but their design was still so slick. More cartoonish perhaps but still full of personality. Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 10.57.22 am.png

Joel's updated face lacks the aggressive streak of the original, if that makes sense.

I think I might pick this up if I can buy it used, for under 25 dollars. And that's only if there are gameplay improvements beyond just the combat.

I'm glad for the.. Given the article that came out two years ago, I sincerely hope things have changed. I'm a bit pessimistic about any systemic change in this industry but I really hope it's like this across the board on this and future projects.

Joel's updated face lacks the aggressive streak of the original, if that makes sense.

I think the technology just allows for nuance, so he'll look aggressive when he is being aggressive. But the updated tech lets them capture more nuance from the original mo-cap performance, even in realtime game play. It's actually pretty cool TBH. I'd wager you'll see that intense, aggressive scowl on his face anytime he's in combat. But more nuance isn't a bad thing.

Imagine the really awesome game Naughty Dog could've given us if they didn't have to waste time giving us a pointless remake of an already great game that still holds up perfectly fine. But Sony really needs to tie into the HBO show with a product, so yay for corporate greed.

Seriously, this looks beautiful. How anyone can call a visual upgrade of this quality "pointless" in a world where the GTA Trilogy and other cheap imports exist is beyond me.

One of the best games of the last decades now looks better than it ever has (and even better than some modern games). If you don't need it, fine, but it's ignorant (and maybe even a little arrogant) to claim that means it has no value. There are sooooo many games I would kill to get exactly this level of treatment. Red Dead 1, GTA IV, Assassins Creed 1 & 2 etc. The reality is, remakes of this quality are in the minority. The level of salty fan sulking on social media seems wildly out of proportion (and I suspect largely motivated by people who have an axe to grind against ND in general).

Seriously, this looks beautiful. How anyone can call a visual upgrade of this quality "pointless" in a world where the GTA Trilogy and other cheap imports exist is beyond me.

One of the best games of the last decades now looks better than it ever has (and even better than some modern games). If you don't need it, fine, but it's ignorant (and maybe even a little arrogant) to claim that means it has no value. There are sooooo many games I would kill to get exactly this level of treatment. Red Dead 1, GTA IV, Assassins Creed 1 & 2 etc. The reality is, remakes of this quality are in the minority. The level of salty fan sulking on social media seems wildly out of proportion (and I suspect largely motivated by people who have an axe to grind against ND in general).

Man thank you for saying all this, absolutely perfect. I agree wholeheartedly and you nailed it. You ****ing nailed it.

Yeah, it looks great but not buy it again for potentially the third time at $70 great. If it were maybe $30 or even up to $50, maybe, if you really just have to own it again.

Again, that value is just completely subjective. I own the Remastered edition but would gladly buy this again. I know I won't be alone, and this isn't even mentioning the people who haven't played the game since 2013, or those who never played it at all.

If it's not a worthwhile product for you individually, totally fine. But the people acting outraged by it are showing their entitlement. Like it's somehow a personal attack on them, that there aren't even new features to make it worth their time? Or this took precious time away from a game they actually want?

How about the incredible variety of accessibility features (including some never before done in a video game). Can't fans just be thrilled on behalf of the people with disabilities who can finally experience this game for the first time?

I mean seriously, I don't remember this amount of outrage for the Remastered edition, and that was a much smaller step up in difference and quality to the original compared to this one.

Yeah, it looks great but not buy it again for potentially the third time at $70 great. If it were maybe $30 or even up to $50, maybe, if you really just have to own it again.

Again, totally fair. But then it sounds like you don't have a burning need for this game at launch, and it'll make the perfect thing to pick up either on sale or PS Plus Collection down the line. So you still end up winning. But I keep seeing people posting far less reasonable takes on this whole thing and it definitely feels motivated by something other than objectivity :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"