Marvel Films The Marvel Studios News and Discussion Thread

James Gunn Talks A Potential Marvel / DC Crossover: ‘I’d Be Lying To Say We Haven’t Discussed It’ – Exclusive
What are peoples' thoughts on this? I can't really see this happening because too many things would need to line up. Too many people would need to agree to get this off the ground, plus there's not really a great moment to do it since Marvel is already phasing out some of the biggest Avengers, while DC still need to start establishing their new continuity.

I also feel like it would risk being a gimmicky event movie done for the sake of it. In the sense that I think it would be difficult to come up with a great story with such a crossover beyond the spectacle, as well the fact that it doesn't have much potential to push either universe forwards, since it would most likely be a one-time thing and the crossover characters wouldn't be built up beforehand nor stick around afterwards.

My thoughts are, that if we ever get a Marvel/DC movie, it will be something more along the lines of a Batman meets Daredevil or a Superman meets Captain America , for example.

It would be something that low key ,as opposed to all of the DC characters meet all of the Marvel characters.

Now is it likely to happen ?
As Gunn said, not anytime soon.

But I would certainly won't go as far as to say " It will never happen!"
Fans have said that alot lately about Hollywood Studios , film directors and Producers, only to be proven wrong.

So, I've learned not to presume what Studio execs would, or wouldn't, do.

At the end of the day, if the two studios want a " Daredevil and Batman " to be in a film together, they'll make it happen.

Ultimately, those fans who wouldn't want a Batman meets Ironman film, or a Superman meets Captain America film ,would be vastly out numbered by the potential Box Office from audiences globally , and there would be more than enough members of the GA who wouldn't have an issue with , for example, Wonder Woman and Thor sharing the big screen together.

Again, I'm throwing out hypothetical crossovers.

Now, in terms of the logistics of which actors, or versions ,it would feature?

We could speculate and debate all day about, and as long as there isn't a film in development ,or an actors cast, there isn't a right or wrong answer.

At this point it would be speculation.

All that said, I doubt a crossover is all that high a priority at the moment.

I'm thinking the most logical outcome would be something along the lines of Avengers vs. Justice League. Something with huge, wide spectrum, four-quadrant appeal to maximize profits for both studios...

I agree that if we ever did see this, it would be at least a decade, probably two in the future. The MCU Avengers lineup is in flux right now and the new DCU is still years away from being viable...

Having said all that, I'd gladly wait in line for a Captain America vs. Batman, Wonder Woman vs. Thor, or X-Men vs. Teen Titans flick!

I would love it. As said above if it ever happens it’s probably 15/20 years or so away assuming the next line ups of Avengers succeed and JL can be done right and also see success. Then they would have something very big to cross-market.

Likelihood extremely low. Potential awesomeness off the scale. If they teamed up against a bunch of enemies it could be the ultimate superhero epic.

I would love it. As said above if it ever happens it’s probably 15/20 years or so away assuming the next line ups of Avengers succeed and JL can be done right and also see success. Then they would have something very big to cross-market.

Likelihood extremely low. Potential awesomeness off the scale. If they teamed up against a bunch of enemies it could be the ultimate superhero epic.
They'd make a ton of money, no doubt.

I just don't see it happening.

Marvel Studios has nothing to gain from a crossover with DC Studios. And by then, Marvel Studios would have crossed over with their #1 competition and there would be nothing that would top it off. Like how do you top/surpass Marvel VS DC? Its likely a 1 time thing that would just benefit Warner Bros. Discovery.

Yeah I don't see it happening, and I don't particularly want it to happen

Those stories are always so contrived and disappointing in the comics, full of anti-climactic fights that tease an answer to "who would win..." but then they never really answer for fear of making one company or the other's characters look weak... and I don't see how the movie version would be any better

While seeing Thor fight Superman or something could be epic, there's no way either Marvel or DC would let their character job to the other. So then we get "they fight for a minute before realizing they should be fighting together" and that's just not what we really want, is it?

Yeah I don't see it happening, and I don't particularly want it to happen

Those stories are always so contrived and disappointing in the comics, full of anti-climactic fights that tease an answer to "who would win..." but then they never really answer for fear of making one company or the other's characters look weak... and I don't see how the movie version would be any better

While seeing Thor fight Superman or something could be epic, there's no way either Marvel or DC would let their character job to the other. So then we get "they fight for a minute before realizing they should be fighting together" and that's just not what we really want, is it?

I'm not saying I'm dying to see it happen with this specific set of characters or that its even close to the only way to do a hero team-up, but what you just wrote there pretty easily describes a lot of the action in both the first two Avengers movies, the first Guardians movie, the Snyder movies, and even some of the X-men films. Its clearly a thing a lot of people like, even if some examples are better done than others and some people aren't interested in general.

Last edited:
^And I will continue to pray it does not

I'm not saying I'm dying to see it happen with this specific set of characters or that its even close to the only way to do a hero team-up, but what you just wrote there pretty easily describes a lot of the action in both the first two Avengers movies, the first Guardians movie, the Snyder trilogy, and even some of the X-men films. Its clearly a thing a lot of people like, even if some examples are better done than others and some people aren't interested in general.

Idk, disagree... I'll give you Civil War and BvS on the hero-vs-hero tip, but the rest of those movies didn't have lackluster fights because nobody wanted to pull the trigger on having one character beat another... some of those movies had issues all their own with their third acts, granted, but it wasn't two major studios competing interests that interfered. I also didn't feel those films plots were nearly as bad as the DC/Marvel comic crossovers we've gotten in the past.

I'd rather an Amalgam animated movie, tbh.

It *will* happen. But maybe not for another decade or two. But it is inevitable.

It's a question of when more than anything else.

I know there are fans who don't ever want Batman to team up with Ironman ( I don't buy the idea that a crossover would be a versus film anyway) but at the end of the day, as I've said in previous posts, those are really a minority compared to the vast majority of the potential viewing audience.

If the two studios could agree to terms , they aren't going to leave all that potential money on the table for the sake of fans who don't want to see DC and Marvel characters together.

The question, at this point, is really one of timing ,and several other logistical issues.

^And I will continue to pray it does not

Idk, disagree... I'll give you Civil War and BvS on the hero-vs-hero tip, but the rest of those movies didn't have lackluster fights because nobody wanted to pull the trigger on having one character beat another... some of those movies had issues all their own with their third acts, granted, but it wasn't two major studios competing interests that interfered. I also didn't feel those films plots were nearly as bad as the DC/Marvel comic crossovers we've gotten in the past.

I'd rather an Amalgam animated movie, tbh.

Well, I never said they were all lackluster fights, I said they were all examples of heroes fighting each other, not being allowed to have a definitive outcome, and then deciding to work together instead. That doesn't guarantee the outcome is lackluster.

Nobody won the Thor v Iron Man and Captain America fight. Nobody won Starlord v Gamora v Rocket and Groot. The Avengers never actually beat or genuinely lost to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Nobody won Flash v Superman.

Well, I never said they were all lackluster fights, I said they were all examples of heroes fighting each other, not being allowed to have a definitive outcome, and then deciding to work together instead. That doesn't guarantee the outcome is lackluster.

Nobody won the Thor v Iron Man and Captain America fight. Nobody won Starlord v Gamora v Rocket and Groot. The Avengers never actually beat or genuinely lost to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Nobody won Flash v Superman.

Yeah but my point was about the cheesy way the characters from the two companies always get thrown together, and then we never get what we actually want, which is a resolution to, "who would win, Batman or Cap"... I could give a s* about seeing the Avengers and JLA team up to fight Darkseid or Thanos. And everytime they've met in the comics it's like "I can sense you are a good Person Captain America, let us not fight"... idk, maybe its just the lame-ass writing we've always gotten in those crossovers that have put me off to the idea. lol

And of those fights you listed, half of them aren't questions of who would win, it's already pretty well known with in-universe character fights. Thor Wins... the Avengers win... Superman wins... those fights were just about creating some drama and a bit of team conflict to show how they learn to work together

Yeah but my point was about the cheesy way the characters from the two companies always get thrown together, and then we never get what we actually want, which is a resolution to, "who would win, Batman or Cap"... I could give a s* about seeing the Avengers and JLA team up to fight Darkseid or Thanos. And everytime they've met in the comics it's like "I can sense you are a good Person Captain America, let us not fight"... idk, maybe its just the lame-ass writing we've always gotten in those crossovers that have put me off to the idea.

And of those fights you listed, half of them aren't questions of who would win, it's already pretty well known with in-universe character fights. Thor Wins... the Avengers win... Superman wins... those fights were just about creating some drama and a bit of team conflict to show how they learn to work together

Ok, I guess. I don't go into any of these scenes with my primary motivation being the question of 'who wins'?

I get the fun of debating that, but not of demanding it be necessary for a fight to be considered worthwhile. And I don't see how 'It's ok for Thor fighting other Avengers but not for Batman fighting Captain America' is anything but an arbitrary distinction. Plenty of people probably would argue for other characters to be able to outwit Thor, and that has actually happened plenty in the comics both with Thor specifically and with weaker characters beating stronger ones in general.

A Marvel DC project doesn’t necessarily have to be a vs if people are worried about studios not wanting their characters to definitively lose any battles. I’d kind of like a team up from the start where the threat is big enough to justify that.

A Marvel DC project doesn’t necessarily have to be a vs if people are worried about studios not wanting their characters to definitively lose any battles. I’d kind of like a team up from the start where the threat is big enough to justify that.

The question is what kind of threat that is big enough to justify both Marvel and DC heroes to team up?
It could be either Anti-Monitor or Galactus!

Last edited:
It *will* happen. But maybe not for another decade or two. But it is inevitable.
How though?

Because since when two major film studios shared ips for a blockbuster film? Marvel Studios is doing good on its own and currently has the highest grossing film franchise of all time with 31 released films under their belt.

The other one is rebooting its shared universe, and time will tell if its another DC disappointment.

Anyone could make a story or premise for this cross over film. I could up with a premise in 10 minutes. But business wise? Why would Disney do this?

How though?

Because since when two major film studios shared ips for a blockbuster film? Marvel Studios is doing good on its own and currently has the highest grossing film franchise of all time with 31 released films under their belt.

The other one is rebooting its shared universe, and time will tell if its another DC disappointment.

Anyone could make a story or premise for this cross over film. I could up with a premise in 10 minutes. But business wise? Why would Disney do this?

Now. But businesses change. They could all be owned by the same company at some point or both find it to be beneficial.

Look, it took 50 years (and the power of Steven Spielberg) for Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse to appear onscreen together, and it may never happen again.

But it did.

And this will too. Think of how Marvel-ed and DC-ed out we’ll be by 2040, and the next thing they’ll do to get everybody hyped again.

Now. But businesses change. They could all be owned by the same company at some point or both find it to be beneficial.

Look, it took 50 years (and the power of Steven Spielberg) for Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse to appear onscreen together, and it may never happen again.

But it did.

And this will too. Think of how Marvel-ed and DC-ed out we’ll be by 2040, and the next thing they’ll do to get everybody hyped again.
You are assuming both companies would be merged or get absorbed or that things would go so bad that they have no choice but to make the Ultimate Crossover of all time.

You are assuming both companies would be merged or get absorbed or that things would go so bad that they have no choice but to make the Ultimate Crossover of all time.

Again, it’s inevitable. I’m not saying now. But things change so fast, and future generations who are in charge will want to keep pushing. There’s only history of the movie/TV business to look at.

Again, it’s inevitable. I’m not saying now. But things change so fast, and future generations who are in charge will want to keep pushing. There’s only history of the movie/TV business to look at.
What is inevitable to me is Disney rebooting their Marvel movies.

Not work with their competition.

Per that Deadline article:

"Deadline hears there’s been zero conversations in the Marvel camp to drop Majors from the MCU."

Also, WME hasn't dropped him yet. Not saying that's the correct move but that's what was reported in the article.

My own speculation is that Marvel and WME are waiting to see how this plays out before they make a move. Keep in mind, WME doesn't really have a leg to stand on here after Dana White and Vince McMahon.

I just don't see how Disney would still continue working with an actor that has been linked to "physical abuse". Even if its not true, this controversy would still be people's memories and not everybody is going think he's innocent.

And this role isn't just for 1 upcoming film but potentially a couple of blockbuster films including the neXt Endgame. Its just not realistic to me that his face would still be plastered for the trailers/posters of the upcoming Avengers movies. Its not worth the money and investment keeping this actor around for more Marvel movies.

I think Marvel Studios will silently fire the actor and recast Kang. We still don't know if Kang Dynasty is out in two years especially if there are more delays after the reports and rumours of Disney slowing the annual releases of Marvel Studios. They still have a lot of time to recast Kang the Conqueror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"