The Marvels: News and General Discussion thread

F52gYxobgAAgZXB

They look great together! That's also one of my favourite poster images for Carol.

For the rest of 2023, this and the Hunger Games are the only ones left I'm seeing in a theater.

I'll save Aquaman 2 for the first weekend of 2024.

Is anyone else losing confidence in The Marvels after the Variety interview?

Some quotes from the article below. Sounds like she felt in way over her head and is already saying anything that doesn’t work is because of Feige, not her

—————————

During the making of “The Marvels,” DaCosta would text “Shang-Chi” director Destin Daniel Cretton on tough shoot days. She would text him “I’m overwhelmed” and “I’m so stressed.”

As DaCosta told Vanity Fair, “Sometimes you’d be in a scene and you’d be like, ‘What the hell does any of this **** mean?’ Or an actor’s looking at some crazy thing happening in space, and they’re [actually] looking at a blue X. There were obviously hard days, and days where you’re like, ‘This just isn’t working.’”

While DaCosta tried to bring as much of her voice into the MCU as possible, she still noted to Vanity Fair that “The Marvels” is “a Kevin Feige production, it’s his movie. So I think you live in that reality, but I tried to go in with the knowledge that some of you is going to take a back seat.”

I think the film will be fine.

According to reports, this only cost 130 million? Which is weird. I guess this should make up for the disappointing performance of Quantumania, as I can see this tripling its production budget at the boX office.

Some quotes from the article below. Sounds like she felt in way over her head and is already saying anything that doesn’t work is because of Feige, not her

—————————

During the making of “The Marvels,” DaCosta would text “Shang-Chi” director Destin Daniel Cretton on tough shoot days. She would text him “I’m overwhelmed” and “I’m so stressed.”

As DaCosta told Vanity Fair, “Sometimes you’d be in a scene and you’d be like, ‘What the hell does any of this **** mean?’ Or an actor’s looking at some crazy thing happening in space, and they’re [actually] looking at a blue X. There were obviously hard days, and days where you’re like, ‘This just isn’t working.’”

While DaCosta tried to bring as much of her voice into the MCU as possible, she still noted to Vanity Fair that “The Marvels” is “a Kevin Feige production, it’s his movie. So I think you live in that reality, but I tried to go in with the knowledge that some of you is going to take a back seat.”
There have been a few red flags for this movie. Multiple sets of reshoots is one, the rumoured runtime is another. Even the fact that they're not delaying this besides the writer's strike could be perceived as one, but not necessarily. People tend to give examples of movies with reshoots or short runtime that are good, but the reality is that for huge productions like this both of those things tend to happen because they cut a lot of scenes out, either because they didn't work or because of studio mending.

That being said the trailers look fun and it supposedly had a positive test screening a few months back, so it can go either way.

—————————

Yup.

Interview was fine
I guarantee every director has had the same thoughts DaCosta did, especially ones who've never worked with green screen and a bunch of CGI before
she's just being honest about it

The only thing giving me pause still is that tiny runtime

I think the film will be fine.

According to reports, this only cost 130 million? Which is weird. I guess this should make up for the disappointing performance of Quantumania, as I can see this tripling its production budget at the boX office.

Notice Vanity Fair just stealth-edited their piece to remove that number of 130 million. If you read the current version, that figure is no longer there. Didn't even add a correction, though it's entirely possible that's the number that they were given.

Either way, make up your mind on the budget, Disney! Not like the strike is ending anytime soon, presumably, and you'll need every cent from Scrooge's vault that you can save.

EXGUSTo.jpg

Where does all those figures come from? Is so hard to believe anything. Everything is debunked two days later.

Where does all those figures come from? Is so hard to believe anything. Everything is debunked two days later.
Disney itself. The previous overall budget claim was a mistake made by Vanity Fair based on another Disney quote a few months back, where they said that the movie cost 130 million just for the first two months of shooting. The 275 million is the real deal.

I don’t think we will ever know real budgets because of Hollywood accounting to not show too much profit on the books

I'm sorry but I can't trust Disney. Or any other major studio, to be honest.

The history of the MCU is full of movies and TV shows that have gone over budget. There's nothing that costed less than 200 million ever since 2019. And The Marvels specifically is a film with big scale, full of VFX and extensive reshoots. Whatever the actual budget is the fact remains that this is a very expensive flick. At the very least you can trust that.

Hhhmmm. On the one hand too many movies lately have been bloated and longer than they should have. But that does seem quite short for this type of movie.

Let's just hope it works out.
If that was the plan all along then I embrace this type of runtime for big movies. Not everything needs to be 2,5-3 hours. Short and to the point can be a breath of fresh air, escpecially for a film of this scale.

However, if we consider how big blockbusters work and taking into account that movie had multiple sets of reshoots, chances are they cut a lot of stuff out. Either they weren't working for the filmmaker or even worse for the studio. And that's not a very good scenario.

A lot of red flags with this film. Let’s see how the final product stacks up. I actually thought the first one was decent enough for a Phase 1 type film.

I actually liked the first one too. There was a simplicity to it that is nowhere to be found on the MCU movies lately. The 90's buddy-cop tone between her and Fury was really fun.
This new one doesn't seem to have any distinctive flavour, it looks like another generic space piece.

Honestly, I find more than 2 hours a bit long. but that runtime is fine to me. Also it doesn't seem like they would juggle dozen of characters so its fine.

I am perfectly fine with the runtime, it isn't a movie I am excited to see really. 1hr and 45min shouldn't feel like a slog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"