The Nader Thread

After Nader's "Uncle Tom" comment (and his defending the use of that term), he can go straight to hell. What an a-hole. :down

jag

What a tool. :dry:

There were innumerable ways for Nader to communicate his concern without resorting to such a racially charged, offensive and ignorant reference. The fact that he insisted on keeping his foot firmly lodged in his mouth after time to reflect on the matter is actually worse than the initial statement.

Shepherd Smith did a fairly humorous and effective job at holding Nader out as an ass.

Why does Nader continue to waste time and money by running every election year?

Because he is a racist dick and an attention ****e.

jag

Exactly. And I won't be surprised if Nader threw that Cabin Tom comment out there, hoping that it'd get him some headlines for his racially-charged remark. He thought he can become controversial enough to get some attention, even though he has become largely irrelevant.

He just ended his political career tonight during a interview with Shepard Smith in which he said "Obama will either be this country's Uncle Sam or it's Uncle Tom" :dry: ... :cmad:

EDIT:

His exact words ...

"To put it very simply, he is our first African American President, or he will be. And we wish him well. But his choice, basically, is whether he's going top be Uncle Sam for this country, or Uncle Tom for the giant corporation"

The most irritating part about it was that he was trying to defend his use of the word "Uncle Tom" and that he doesn't regret saying it.

I find this very extreamly ironic. I believe 2 weeks ago Nader Jumped on Bill Mahr for calling Sarah Palin a Brain less bimbo.

He just ended his political career tonight during a interview with Shepard Smith in which he said "Obama will either be this country's Uncle Sam or it's Uncle Tom" :dry: ... :cmad:

EDIT:

His exact words ...

"To put it very simply, he is our first African American President, or he will be. And we wish him well. But his choice, basically, is whether he's going top be Uncle Sam for this country, or Uncle Tom for the giant corporation"

The most irritating part about it was that he was trying to defend his use of the word "Uncle Tom" and that he doesn't regret saying it.

So it is like, 3 in the morning, the election is over, and I'm a Canadian.

Didn't know what Uncle Tom meant so I looked it up in Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom#cite_note-NPR-0It is commonly used to describe black people whose political views or allegiances are considered by their critics as detrimental to blacks as a group.

He should of said something else, but who is to say just yet that Obama has the average person in his best interest, I doubt he would be detrimental to black people, but it seems like much energy was spent looking at that instead of the brunt of what Nader was trying to get across.

Obama has a lot to live up too, and isn't it a legitimate concern on Naders part? Who's interest is Obama going to serve, the people or the corporations?

Is he just a figurehead of hope, or is he the real deal?

Only time will tell, but when you compare McCain and Obama's top contributors a lot of them matched up, and isn't the presidency a facade of power when in the end they still have to answer to those who invested in them?

Just seems like people are really click to pull the curtain over these independent candidates as soon as the media spins them out to be some loony.

What sort of faux democracy are you guys living in when you wont even consider anything but the two main parties, who basically serve many of the same interest.

The independents don't have the money to properly represent themselves, the media which is paid for by either Democrat or Republican money will obviously do whatever it takes to remind you that these men are jokes and a wasted vote.

It is just a bit shocking when you consider the polarity of your politics.

Nader's an academic - he used a term which now seems to be prejudicial - whereas it's origins come from the anti-slavery movement. Nader fought for equal rights for all people over the past decades - it seems unlikely that he is in fact racially prejudiced.
The point Nader is making is that he hopes Obama does not become a sell out to corporations - He should have chosen a better term as mentioning skin colour at all these days is taboo.

Understood, and I agree to a certain extent, I also feel he could have been a little more thoughtful in his choice of words. He's a smart man, he should have known using that term would have overshadowed any message he was trying to get across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"