The Offical thread to Vent if need be.

Serene said:
I thought it would have been nice to see her at Jonathan's funeral. :(

She used to be sweet on him after all. It would have been nice to see her there, and really mourning him, but expressing genuine sympathy to Martha, the woman who'd made him happy all these years.

But she's busy being a part of the Da Vinci Inquest. :cwink:

RakuMon said:
You know who I wish was at Jonathan's funeral? Pete Ross and his parents!

There was a young dark good looking guy at the funeral which my fan ******* mind tells me was Pete.:yay:

avidreader said:
But she's busy being a part of the Da Vinci Inquest. :cwink:

?Was she in DaVinci Code? I must have missed her.

And lol about the dead count for Lana. Too funny. :D
I can only remember one person that Chloe has killed, and I don't think Lois has killed anyone yet.

What about Clark? Do FOTW's count? Remember the guy with the metallic arm/sword in Gone? Clark basically threw him into a vat and melted him. Does that count? Lex shot someone.. but I can't remember who or which ep it was in. I think he was defending Clark.. You guys have better memories than I do for these things.

Serene said:
?Was she in DaVinci Code? I must have missed her.

Not DaVinci Code the DaVinci Inquest or something like that. Its actually on CW on the weekends.

I can only remember one person that Chloe has killed, and I don't think Lois has killed anyone yet.

The only one that I can remember is the guy in Hidden.

What about Clark? Do FOTW's count? Remember the guy with the metallic arm/sword in Gone? Clark basically threw him into a vat and melted him. Does that count?

Lois and Clark killed him together. But was he even human? They cut out alot of that guy's story because they thought it was too cheesy.

Lex shot someone.. but I can't remember who or which ep it was in. I think he was defending Clark.. You guys have better memories than I do for these things.

In Vortex Lex shot Nixon just as he was about to slam Jonathan with a crowbar.

I'm sure there's more for Lex. I'll go through and look at the episodes and report back. :yay:

Okay,

Hourglass - Lex indirectly killed Cassandra

Rogue - Did Lex shoot Phalan or was that one of the Security Guards

Phoenix - Lex and Helen shot the Pilot

Shattered - Lex killed Morgan Edge

Onyx - Lex killed Dr Sinclair and the Security Guard found in the Locker

Hypnotic - Lex and Chloe killed Simone. (There's another one for Chloe)

Fade - Lex shot Graham and killed him (self defence)

That's all I can think of without watching each episode. :woot:

When someone tries to defend something in smallville that clearly doesn’t make any sense, it often comes down to ”After all, this is Smallville. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.”
But why is it that a big time Warner production has errors that makes it look amateurish at best? Smallville has got to have the largest amount of misstakes out of all the series out there. Why can’t they fix it?

I’m asking this qustion not as a basher but as a huge fan.

”But if you have to b***h about it, why don’t just stop watching it?

I watch it because of the great lead actors, the great lightning, the movie like filming, the superb music from Mark Snow, the often great sfx, and the twist to the Superman lore.

But everyone knows that Smallville has serious contingency problem. More so than any show I can think of.
It’s beyond me that the person saying at the script meeting ”Would’t it be really cool if lex got shot again?" still has a job.

Having people go from one place to another that are suppose to be three driving hours apart, like they do with Metropolis and Smallville, really takes away the illusion and makes it feel like the character walks between one set to another.

Everyone knows the faults Smallville has. Errors that are just plain old sloppy and often easy to solve.

If you have to use stock footage, you have to remove specific events showing that it is stock footage. How about removing that chopter circling the Daily Planet or the shooting star behind lex mansion. For us who follows the show, it is a dead givaway and at least I am taken out of the show for a sec.
These are things the editors should know.

I have high respect for many of the people working with Smallville, so I don’t get why nobody calls the bs misstakes. The gaps are visible even to a five year old. Why don’t the pro’s working with it just fix it?
Why are they just settling with making a watchable show when they have all the potential needed to make a superb show?

spawnjack01 said:
But everyone knows that Smallville has serious contingency problem. More so than any show I can think of.
It’s beyond me that the person saying at the script meeting ”Would’t it be really cool if lex got shot again?" still has a job.

LOL LOL LOL

He's got a point!

I wonder how long before it will be for Pat to come in looking for a mod to close it :ninja: you can set a watch by this type of stuff I bet & no Morg if you even bothered to look there is no complaint thread

spawnjack01 said:

you mean "continuity"

its not my fault you dont know how to use the search function.

AssMan said:
I wonder how long before it will be for Pat to come in looking for a mod to close it :ninja: you can set a watch by this type of stuff I bet & no Morg if you even bothered to look there is no complaint thread

Is that really called for?

:whatever:

Kaboom said:
its not my fault you dont know how to use the search function.

& its not my fault that not all threads are visible & a complaint thread should be since everyone likes to refer to it

if you feel that strongly about it, bump it.....

Kaboom said:
if you feel that strongly about it, bump it.....

It doesnt bother me but you cant blame anyone for not searching for a thread when they looked through the forum & the thread in question does not even show up & also the thread does not need to be re worded because I doubt non forum regulars would use the word "vent" when searching for a complaint thread & as I said you can not blame them for not searching for a thread that for them does not even show up at all in the forum

i have no idea what you just said, but i'd probaby disagree with it anyway.

spawnjack01 said:
When someone tries to defend something in smallville that clearly doesn't make any sense, it often comes down to ”After all, this is Smallville. If you don't like it, don't watch it.”
I think you may be confusing snarky cheap shots "It's SV; what do you expect?" with the reality that every show has good and bad elements; no show is completely perfect.

But why is it that a big time Warner production has errors that makes it look amateurish at best?
Oh god... LOL. I could SO launch a "snarky cheap shot" right about now. :D

Smallville has got to have the largest amount of mistakes out of all the series out there.
If that were true, it wouldn't have lasted six seasons. The good must significantly be outweighing the bad.

Why can't they fix it?
Fix what? Those examples you list below? Some of that stuff is just laughable, but not egregious. IMHO.

I’m asking this question not as a basher but as a huge fan.
No sweat.

But if you have to b***h about it, why don't just stop watching it?
Well, there is some validity there, but *****ing about something doesn't necessarily equate to being so unhappy with it that you don't *want* to watch it any more. I stop watching shows when they bore me *cough*Sopranos*cough*. That doesn't mean the show had an identifiable "flaw" that could or should have been fixed however. It just means that I wasn't entertained by it any more.

I watch it because of the great lead actors, the great lightning, the movie like filming, the superb music from Mark Snow, the often great sfx, and the twist to the Superman lore.
Nice list. I watch it for all those things too.... and TW of course. Gotta say, if it wasn't for him, all of those other things probably wouldn't have been enough to keep me hooked.

Contingency or continuity?

Meh. It's a show cliché. Sometimes ya just have to laugh...

startrek.jpg

Having people go from one place to another that are suppose to be three driving hours apart, like they do with Metropolis and Smallville, really takes away the illusion and makes it feel like the character walks between one set to another.
Well, yeah, agreed. But it doesn't bug me all that much. Maybe the writers just want folks to assume Metropolis is closer to Smallville? I know they already established it's three hours away, but they haven't exactly been drilling that detail. In fact, they've been doing just the opposite. [shrugs]

Everyone knows the faults Smallville has. Errors that are just plain old sloppy and often easy to solve.
Given how much they get right and how much I *am* entertained by the show, I'm willing to give that a pass sometimes. If that makes me an "apologist," so be it. Some out of whack story elements don't bother me all that much.

If you have to use stock footage, you have to remove specific events showing that it is stock footage. How about removing that chopper circling the Daily Planet or the shooting star behind lex mansion. For us who follows the show, it is a dead giveaway and at least I am taken out of the show for a sec.
Hah? Those are establishing shots. The mailbox shot, Clark's loft, the Talon, the high school (though that's not used anymore for obvious reasons), Smallville Medical Center, the Daily Planet and Lex's mansion at night or during the day... they all establish location. Do the cows outside the Kent house or the person in the wheelchair outside of SMC bug you too? (Honest question.)

These are things the editors should know.
They DO know that. That's why they use those shots. They establish location.

I have high respect for many of the people working with Smallville, so I don't get why nobody calls the bs misstakes.
Probably because most are nitpics. There ARE a few glaring errors from time to time. The show isn't perfect.

The gaps are visible even to a five year old. Why don't the pro’s working with it just fix i?
Because some of the things you're complaining about are the kind of things that only kids piss and moan about - or overly critical fans. I notice that stuff too, but I try to laugh at it. I think dialog can be more annoying; the overuse of "secrets and lies" for example KILLS me - especially when uttered by one particular character. :rolleyes: :p ;)

Why are they just settling with making a watchable show when they have all the potential needed to make a superb show?
I think it IS a superb show - even with the continuity gaffs and silly clichés. Could it be better? Sure. But I think there's a lot of shows out there that are a LOT worse, and NO other show is as entertaining as this one for me. But as I like to say, YMMV. :)

AssMan said:
I wonder how long before it will be for Pat to come in looking for a mod to close it...
Hmmm... I wonder how long it will be before Kane is banned again?

AgentPat said:
Hmmm... I wonder how long it will be before Kane is banned again?

Hmmm... I wonder how long it will be before Pat is wrong again & I am not going to even waste my time saying I am not Kane no one will obviously believe it & I am not here to suck up to forum regulars & mods like most here seem to do & if the mods here ban people based on who they think someone is without real proof of that person being that other someone then thats not really good moderation

spawnjack01 said:

Back to the original question posed - which certainly is a valid question, although it has been covered ad nauseam (btw, everyone please note that spelling. ;)).

I sound like a broken record, I'm sure, but much of the criticism of this show is purely perspective and expectation based. Like a few of us who post here, I tend to look at various SV online forums - not just the comic-fan based ones. The gripes in here are, as expected, all about SV not following DC mythology. Although, the difficultly in defining "which" mythology is often glossed over.

In other areas of SV fandom, people haven't a CLUE who the 'flying guy with the Oreos' is. He's just another mysterious SV character to them. My point is that SV is never going to please everyone - EVER.

I love the show, I love the mythology nods, but I really don't have any problem when they completely stray from it and pave their own path. I hate that comic fanboy hypocrisy that allows for comics to alter stories, but not a TV show.

This is why there is a lot of that attitude you spoke of - if you don't like it, don't watch. Because a lot of us DO like it, and don't obsess over every little change from "established DC canon" (which really is almost an oxymoron :)), and it's annoying to have people complain about what it's not, rather than critique it for what it is.

Even the most loyal SV defenders have complaints about the show - hell, I'm currently not returning its calls :p ... but I still love it.

So.. that's why the 'take it as it is or don't watch at all' attitude.

IMO, natch. ;)

I'm just glad that Pat came in and answered the first post.

Bravo!!:woot:

AgentPat said:
Hah? Those are establishing shots. The mailbox shot, Clark's loft, the Talon, the high school (though that's not used anymore for obvious reasons), Smallville Medical Center, the Daily Planet and Lex's mansion at night or during the day... they all establish location. Do the cows outside the Kent house or the person in the wheelchair outside of SMC bug you too? (Honest question.)

You forgot about the guy bouncing the basketball walking along the street in Smallville.

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that they havent done an outdoor scene in downtown Smallville since Season 3.

avidreader said:
Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that they havent done an outdoor scene in downtown Smallville since Season 3.

Aside from the select few locations the show hardly takes place in Smallville anymore so its understandable why shots like that are not used anymore

AssMan said:

Being a mod I do know we have a complaint thread, been a few times I had to use my ax in one or two of them :hyper: I'll just merge this one with the other complaint thread, one's enough and better for use mods to keep a eye out in it

Morg said:
Being a mod I do know we have a complaint thread, been a few times I had to use my ax in one or two of them :hyper: I'll just merge this one with the other complaint thread, one's enough and better for use mods to keep a eye out in it

How come this thread (as I have shown) does not show up when I browse through the Smallville boards ?

Beats me, I rarely have trouble. But then being a mod I have some extra tricks to find a thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"