• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 5

The fight played out exactly as expected, seasoned boxing veteran & one of the p4p greatest to ever grace the ring vs a relative boxing novice.

First 3 rounds Conor won easily, largely because Mayweather threw very little back at him in those 3 rounds focusing more on trying to make him miss or absorbing McGregor's power shots on his forearms, elbows & shoulders. The 4th Mayweather started to try & make McGregor work harder by holding his ground more & by just hold his guard up in Conor's range which lulled him into working & throwing low/medium effort punches to try & get Floyd to open himself up.. which he didn't as the goal was to make McGregor use his energy maybe only occasionally hit him in the body.

The stoppage was a bit meh, it looked more like he was fatigued to me than hurt by anything Floyd had hit him with. I'd have liked him to let it run for a few more punches to see if either Mayweather could either put him on his ass or if McGregor could get out of there & survive the round.

Overall fight was more like an exhibition than anything else, Floyd did exactly what needed to happen. There's no way he could have allowed McGregor to go the distance with him, even if Mayweather had still won a decision, he had to get some form of stoppage for both his own & boxing's reputation. I'm surprised it actually took 10 rounds given the gulf in boxing calibre & experience between them.

Conor was big, and Floyd carried him until he decided he wasn't going to carry him anymore.

What happened with the stoppage in the Gervonta Davis fight? I had the sound practically off as it was 4am with me & I couldn't work out why Fonseca stayed down.

Badou Jack looked very good as well, very good performance against Nathan Cleverly. Really blew him away.

And yet neither of them are the household names that the division once had.

There are very, very few household names in boxing other than Mayweather unless you actually have a semi-interest in the sport.

The UFC has three household names. One is basically retired, the other just got busted for PEDs for a second time and the third just got his ass kicked in a boxing match. :funny:

Mcgregor definitely didn't get embarrassed. He went 10 rounds with the best, won 3 of them and never got knocked down. Not bad for 0-0 vs 49-0. I just hope we see him in the octagon before the year closes.

The UFC has three household names. One is basically retired, the other just got busted for PEDs for a second time and the third just got his ass kicked in a boxing match. :funny:

And the one that is basically retired could show up in a WWE ring in the near future.

And yet neither of them are the household names that the division once had.
I think most people have gravitated to the lower weight divisions since there's a lot more competitive and entertaining fighters there. There's been no big-name heavyweights outside the Klitschko Bros. and even they had limited fame due to not fighting a lot in the US and not having colorful personalities of past heavyweight champs to keep people interested. Plus, MMA has siphoned off a lot of bigger guys who may have ended up boxing in the past.

Not really, there is McGregor & then there's everyone else exactly the same as Mayweather & boxing.

Unless you've a vague interest in the sport I'd be surprised if people actually knew who Jones is.. Rousey maybe but she's been in a handful of popular movies, done a lot of TV shows & appeared at Wrestlemania.

I think most people have gravitated to the lower weight divisions since there's a lot more competitive and entertaining fighters there. There's been no big-name heavyweights outside the Klitschko Bros. and even they had limited fame due to not fighting a lot in the US and not having colorful personalities of past heavyweight champs to keep people interested. Plus, MMA has siphoned off a lot of bigger guys who may have ended up boxing in the past.

You wouldn't think it looking at the state of the HW MMA scene..

Mcgregor definitely didn't get embarrassed. He went 10 rounds with the best, won 3 of them and never got knocked down. Not bad for 0-0 vs 49-0. I just hope we see him in the octagon before the year closes.
He got embarrassed.

Not really, there is McGregor & then there's everyone else exactly the same as Mayweather & boxing.

Unless you've a vague interest in the sport I'd be surprised if people actually knew who Jones is.. Rousey maybe but she's been in a handful of popular movies, done a lot of TV shows & appeared at Wrestlemania.
Ronda was huge. She was selling PPVs on her own. Jon Jones just did 800k buys after being off for another year. That is what makes his situation all the more hilarious. He could be doing a million easy if he wasn't embarrassing himself.

Mayweather definitely wouldn't have gone 4 rounds in the UFC. Totally respectable showing by Mcgregor.

Mayweather definitely wouldn't have gone 4 rounds in the UFC. Totally respectable showing by Mcgregor.
He got his ass kicked by the the guy he outweighed by 20 pounds and who hasn't had a legit knock out in 10 years. Against a blown up 140 dude nonetheless. You are talking nonsense. :funny:

Last edited:
How did he get embarrassed? He did much better than expected. He's basically an amateur who went 10 rounds against one of the greatest boxers of all time. Obviously Floyd is past his best but we're talking about someone who is league's above any other boxer still out there.

Honestly he had zero chance of winning. But he definitely ruffled Mayweathers feathers a few times. Connor simply doesn't have the stamina or mentality to fight for 12 rounds. He was gassed by the 5th because he was too eager to land a KO punch.

Mayweathers plan was spot on though. He knew Connor would punch himself out.

You wouldn't think it looking at the state of the HW MMA scene..
Yeah, that division isn't pretty either. There's some young, up-and-coming guys but no one's a surefire lock to be the next household name.

How did he get embarrassed? He did much better than expected. He's basically an amateur who went 10 rounds against one of the greatest boxers of all time. Obviously Floyd is past his best but we're talking about someone who is league's above any other boxer still out there.

Honestly he had zero chance of winning. But he definitely ruffled Mayweathers feathers a few times. Connor simply doesn't have the stamina or mentality to fight for 12 rounds. He was gassed by the 5th because he was too eager to land a KO punch.

He did "better then expected" as he didn't fall on his face walking into the ring. Floyd let him have the first two rounds. The proceeded to pick him apart for a 6 rounds because he started putting it on him. Floyd carrying a guy at 40 shows just how bad Conor was. Once he started sitting on his punches, what did Conor do other then eat shots from a smaller man who knocked him out? When did he "ruffle" Floyd's feathers?

Spot on the spot on.

I guess we just have different definitions of embarrassed. If it gone the way Max Kellerman described (Conor won't land a significant punch, Mayweather will do whatever he wants) that would've been embarrassing. Fact is Conor won 3 straight rounds, landed some solid counters (including that really nice uppercut early) and had impressive head movement (dodging and slipping, not bobbing and weaving). This ended how I thought it would, Conor gassed and defenseless but not asleep or even hurt.

He did "better then expected" as he didn't fall on his face walking into the ring. Floyd let him have the first two rounds. The proceeded to pick him apart for a 6 rounds because he started putting it on him. Floyd carrying a guy at 40 shows just how bad Conor was. Once he started sitting on his punches, what did Conor do other then eat shots from a smaller man who knocked him out? When did he "ruffle" Floyd's feathers?

He did better than expected because he did land a few nice shots early on. Then still landed later on in the fight but with no power because he was knackered. The fact that he was landing punches against probably the greatest defensive boxer of all time was quite impressive.

You keep bringing up his age. But that's irrelevant really considering we're talking about Floyd Mayweather. He could still school most pro boxers in his weight class. So him school McGregor isn't surprising or impressive. What is surprising and impressive is McGregor not only lasting 10 rounds but making the bout entertaining and ultimately losing because he was gassed not because he was hurt or knocked out.

I guess we just have different definitions of embarrassed. If it gone the way Max Kellerman described (Conor won't land a significant punch, Mayweather will do whatever he wants) that would've been embarrassing. Fact is Conor won 3 straight rounds, landed some solid counters (including that really nice uppercut early) and had impressive head movement (dodging and slipping, not bobbing and weaving). This ended how I thought it would, Conor gassed and defenseless but not asleep or even hurt.
He landed one uppercut in the first two rounds. That is where his signifcant punches ended. He hit so softly, Floyd, giving up a 20 pound weight disadvantage, walked him down and knocked him out. Starting around the 5th Floyd just stopped walking backwards. Pushed forward after every clinch.

I understand most people don't know what they were watching, but this does not change reality. If Conor was landing significant punches, this would have looked like the Manny fight, where Floyd did not push it for fear of being hurt. He wasn't hurt, ever. That is all one needs to know to see how this went. He didn't even respect him enough to not walk through his punches. When Floyd Mayweather is walking through your punches, that is embarrassing.

And no, Conor won 2 rounds, Floyd gave him. Also, since when is getting tired an excuse for getting your ass beat? Floyd is 40 and wasn't tired. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"