• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Official Musical Theatre Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say and don't know if this is the right thread, but...
Guys, does anyone here ever heard an alternative Goldeneye song ?
I mean, everyone knows the one of Tina Turner, right. There's another one, I was listening to, as I was a kid. It's still Tina turner singing.
Not the Bono demo, not the Ace of Base song. tina Turner but somehow more ... urban, more electric kind, sort of.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about ? I can't find it.

Can't say and don't know if this is the right thread, but...
Guys, does anyone here ever heard an alternative Goldeneye song ?
I mean, everyone knows the one of Tina Turner, right. There's another one, I was listening to, as I was a kid. It's still Tina turner singing.
Not the Bono demo, not the Ace of Base song. tina Turner but somehow more ... urban, more electric kind, sort of.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about ? I can't find it.

Is it either one of these?

i just saw online that Les Miz is leaving Broadway in September :eek:

i would love to see that show before it leaves

edit: i think the site meant Sep 2016 :(

Yeah, it closed in September.

But Miss Saigon and Sunset Blvd are coming back this year, so there’s a 90s flashback right there... :wow:

Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of the first time I saw Rent. And the full OBC was on that night, which didn’t happen often.

lucky!

i wasn't aware that the original cast of Dreamgirls recently did a sold out performance for the 35th anniversary. i bet that was pretty cool to see. they all look amazing for their age.

i'm going to Pippin next month! still going in blind so yay

also, a friend and I got tickets to see Idina in Richmond in May. We got orchestra seats but i had no idea it was part of a World Tour so i'm not sure what to expect

Is it either one of these?

Hey Hi Pink ranger. Thanks but no, this is not one of those. The melody itself is very different from the "usual" song.
Thanks for the help anyway. I'm welcome to any other ideas, because, honestly, I'm dry. Can't find the song since years. It's weird
Cheers :)

I’ve got a friend visiting in a few weeks, and we’ve got tickets to see Sunset Blvd, and Great Comet.

I saw Glenn Close in Sunset when it was on Broadway the first time and she was amazing, so looking forward to seeing her again. Great Comet should be interesting. :up:

Saw the Met broadcast of Rusalka. Different production than the one I saw a few years ago. It was interesting to compare the different takes on the same opera.

Went to a production of Avenue Q by a community college on Friday night. I have never seen it, but these guys did a great job.

Went to Pippin last night, had absolutely zero idea of what to expect. it was definitely the most different show i'd ever seen.

I liked Corner of the Sky (if i get the names wrong, don't kill me) and there was a song his Grandma sang about Time that was pretty memorable, especially with the acrobatics and everything. The Narrator was phenomenal. She was amazing and her voice just filled the entire hall. The guy playing Pippin was pretty good too and he had a lot of range vocally.
The acrobatics and all that were really great. And I still haven't figured out how the lady playing Fastrada (?) aka stepmom was able to get into that red dress so quickly. All in all, it was pretty entertaining :up:

I'm glad you had a good time. I will likely see this same production when it blows by Niagara Falls in May.

Nice! Glad you had a good time, CC. I love that show.

Got tickets to see Hamilton for November...in Chicago. Because apparently seeing it twice (soon to be 3 times) in NYC clearly wasn’t enough. :oldrazz:

My friend lives there, so we’re going together. She’s had no luck getting through during any of the ticket sales in Chicago. I’m in NY and I got through on the first try. Go figure.

Hey CC, I have a question about the version of Pippin you saw. The show itself has multiple possible endings, and I was wondering if your ending was the one ...

where Pippin, Katherine and Theo are left on a darkened stage. Pippin sings his final lines acapella, and he and Katherine quietly leave the stage. But Theo stays behind. He starts playing on some of the rigging and props that are left over, and then stops and sings a few bars of Corner of the Sky acapella. Then, the music starts again, and the Narrator/Leading Player and the other characters emerge from the darkness.

^ that's the version i saw

^ that's the version i saw

Cool, cool, cool. That's my favorite ending. They came up with that one fairly recently, I'm sure Bob Fosse is looking up at it and nodding approvingly.

i researched the show after i saw it and it spoke of two different endings and that one of the people involved actually like the new ending better

i researched the show after i saw it and it spoke of two different endings and that one of the people involved actually like the new ending better

Yes, technically there are three different endings, or four if you want to be really detailed about it. Stephen Schwartz actually likes the new, darkest, ending, which apparently came out of regional productions rather than from the original authors.

I'd like to think Bob Fosse would love the newest ending, but I also know he'd hate it because it wasn't his idea.

what are the other alternate endings?

what are the other alternate endings?

For context, it is important to know that in the original 1972 production, there was a lot of creative tension (to put it mildly) between the composer Stephen Schwartz and the director Bob Fosse. There continues to be some debate as to how much input Fosse the director had on the content of the show; there's some belief (that I share) that the meta aspects and darker plot elements came from Fosse rather than the show's creative team of Schwartz/Hirson.

There was some disagreement over how to end the show, apparently. Fosse wanted something like the ending to The Graduate, where the romantic couple overcome the conflict and climax, but then reach a "so what do we do now?" moment at the end, leaving it open for viewer interpretation.

Fosse's original ending was for Katherine, Pippin and Theo to be left on the destroyed set, with a single spotlight on them. Katherine asks Pippin how he's feeling, and he says, "Trapped." The spotlight cuts out and the show ends.

Schwartz hated this ending, because he felt it was dark and cynical. When the original Broadway show ended, Schwartz re-inserted his original preferred dialogue at the end, which is almost the same, except Pippin's answer is "Trapped. But happy."

Other editions had a different ending, where Pippin goes, "Trapped. But happy. Which isn't a bad ending for a musical comedy."

I saw Sunset Blvd today. Omg, Glenn Close is spectacular. “As If We Never Said Goodbye” stopped the show three times and it was on the best things I’ve ever seen.

They’ve scaled it down from the original production, which had the big mansion set and the staircase (they used it for the Tonys that year). Now the orchestra is on the stage, and there’s a bunch of scaffolding and stairs surrounding the stage. It worked - the show was still so good.

I also saw Great Comet last night. That was...interesting. The staging is incredible and I thought the music was pretty cool (that Josh Groban is a pretty good singer!), but it was pretty weird too.

I'm going to see Great Comet on April 27. It's a bit early for me to buy tickets, but when they announced Groban is leaving in July, I wanted to be sure in case there is a rush to buy them now.

Goban is so great in the show.

I saw Dear Evan Hansen a month or two ago and it was incredible.

Saw Amelie this week and I hated it. All my friends loved it.

Saw Miss Saigon last night. First time I've ever seen it. I had an EXPERIENCE. I loved it.

Oh, and I'm seeing first preview of Dolly on Wednesday! WOOOO!

All you New Yawkers should see Come From Away. It's quite good: a stripped down but meaningful production that will evoke memories of theatre in its most pure form.

Taking my mom to see Dear Evan Hansen on Saturday. I saw it when it was in previews, looking forward to being emotionally destroyed by it again.

I totally wanted to see Miss Saigon this weekend, but my friend wasn’t into it. I saw the original 3 times, so I can’t wait to see it again.

Have fun at Dolly, JP! Jealous!!

I'd never seen it! Nor was I familiar with it (shocking).

It was everything. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogmanyoyo
Back