Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

Demon's Souls was the first PS5 game for me as well, and the one that made me want one on launch. It opened my eyes for the Soulsborne games but I haven't played many. I intended to play Bloodborne as you got it for free with the PS5 previous generation bundle but then I heard rumors about a 60 fps patch and waited for that, which never came. I did play Elden Ring though and that's such a great next step for the genre.

Bloodborne 2 seems like a very smart step for FromSoftware since they seem to want to make another non-open world game after Elden Ring, and it's such a beloved game among the fans.
Bloodborne may not have been a best seller for Sony, but it was definitely synonymous with the Ps4 within the first three years of its release. to this day, Bloodborne is now considered one of the greatest games of all time. you would think Sony would make a deal with FromSoftware for a Bloodborne 2, but here we are almost 10 years later with no 60fps patch and no news about a followup in any way shape or form. Not even a rerelease in the form of a remaster or a remake in a time where practically all we ever hear about are rereleases in abundance.

I think by Dark Souls 3's release, the Souls series overall went from being niche to mainstream. it's become a household name at this point and Elden Ring is Bandai Namco's fastest selling game ever.
Yes, I think it will really be a clearly felt difference for many when you compare it the way you said, getting used to 60 and then swapping to 30 afterwards.
Yes, absolutely. One of the best examples is Uc4. this is a game that Naughty Dog originally aimed at having 1080p/60fps for the campaign and failed to do so; instead they compensated by keeping the multiplayer only at 60fps whereas the campaign is half that.

as someone who has played Uc4 a lot, a lot, a lot - probably my main multiplayer game of the previous generation, I can very easily notice the difference in the experience going from single player to multiplayer. I think the resolution for the online play is also less than full HD too.

Bloodborne may not have been a best seller for Sony, but it was definitely synonymous with the Ps4 within the first three years of its release. to this day, Bloodborne is now considered one of the greatest games of all time. you would think Sony would make a deal with FromSoftware for a Bloodborne 2, but here we are almost 10 years later with no 60fps patch and no news about a followup in any way shape or form. Not even a rerelease in the form of a remaster or a remake in a time where practically all we ever hear about are rereleases in abundance.

I think by Dark Souls 3's release, the Souls series overall went from being niche to mainstream. it's become a household name at this point and Elden Ring is Bandai Namco's fastest selling game ever.
Yes, I guess one can take it as a sign that FromSoftware aren't interested in continuing that, since all the voices asking for it seem to be falling on deaf ears. Even though it can be easier said than done to increase an fps cap on a game there was someone that did that unofficially with Bloodborne so it certainly seems possible.

Yes, absolutely. One of the best examples is Uc4. this is a game that Naughty Dog originally aimed at having 1080p/60fps for the campaign and failed to do so; instead they compensated by keeping the multiplayer only at 60fps whereas the campaign is half that.

as someone who has played Uc4 a lot, a lot, a lot - probably my main multiplayer game of the previous generation, I can very easily notice the difference in the experience going from single player to multiplayer. I think the resolution for the online play is also less than full HD too.
That sounds like expected and the first step to lower graphics tends to be to lower resolution. A trick that's going to be used more and more the better real time upscaling technology becomes. I hope there is a lot of good development still to come in that area since that will really be a huge step in making games look and flow better.

Yes, I guess one can take it as a sign that FromSoftware aren't interested in continuing that, since all the voices asking for it seem to be falling on deaf ears. Even though it can be easier said than done to increase an fps cap on a game there was someone that did that unofficially with Bloodborne so it certainly seems possible.
I don't think it's necessarily that the voices asking for more are falling on deaf ears. Miyazaki did say in 2015 after the release of Dark Souls 3 that he wants to move on from making Souls type games. but then again...all From Software has been making are other games that people consider Soulslike games, like Sekiro and then Elden Ring.

I don't understand why Sony just doesn't go to FromSoftware and get someone else to work with them on it. it doesn't have to be Miyazaki. he wasn't the director of Dark Souls 2 either.
That sounds like expected and the first step to lower graphics tends to be to lower resolution. A trick that's going to be used more and more the better real time upscaling technology becomes. I hope there is a lot of good development still to come in that area since that will really be a huge step in making games look and flow better.
oh yeah, I bet! I mean, we can look at a game like GTAV on PC. the single player and multiplayer can both go up to 4K/60fps, right?

Naughty Dog is generally praised for being one of the greatest developers, even Rockstar has shown them respect for their achievements. I'm guessing their next big thing for this generation is going to be the Last of Us part 3. although before that we're probably gonna get some remasters, the current rumors point toward Tlou2 on PC & a Uc1 remake.

I posted this in the Drake vs. Kendrick thread, but I suppose it's relevant here too...

I don't think it's necessarily that the voices asking for more are falling on deaf ears. Miyazaki did say in 2015 after the release of Dark Souls 3 that he wants to move on from making Souls type games. but then again...all From Software has been making are other games that people consider Soulslike games, like Sekiro and then Elden Ring.

I don't understand why Sony just doesn't go to FromSoftware and get someone else to work with them on it. it doesn't have to be Miyazaki. he wasn't the director of Dark Souls 2 either.

Yes, as you say the company has made their biggest waves with such games since then so it's clearly still on the table. They just seem to want to do something else than the Bloodborne aestetic.

I'm sure there's been some talks but nothing has come of it. That Elden Ring became as big as it did probably changed the picture a bit as well, since the Bloodborne fans are now far fewer comparatively. Maybe they don't see as big of a need to go backwards when they've shown that they can actually drive success with new things.

oh yeah, I bet! I mean, we can look at a game like GTAV on PC. the single player and multiplayer can both go up to 4K/60fps, right?

Naughty Dog is generally praised for being one of the greatest developers, even Rockstar has shown them respect for their achievements. I'm guessing their next big thing for this generation is going to be the Last of Us part 3. although before that we're probably gonna get some remasters, the current rumors point toward Tlou2 on PC & a Uc1 remake.

Yes, but on PC the player can usually customize the graphics settings in quite a lot of detail to get what they want. The reason to lower resolution is to not have to lower other graphical fidelity aspects, but on PC the player can keep the resolution and drop other things instead. It's all a compromise between all elements that are rendered.

Yes, what they did technically with TLOU2 on the PS4 was quite remarkable. I'm hoping to see something new from them though so I hope that they are working on that rumored fantasy setting game as well.

Yes, as you say the company has made their biggest waves with such games since then so it's clearly still on the table. They just seem to want to do something else than the Bloodborne aestetic.

I'm sure there's been some talks but nothing has come of it. That Elden Ring became as big as it did probably changed the picture a bit as well, since the Bloodborne fans are now far fewer comparatively. Maybe they don't see as big of a need to go backwards when they've shown that they can actually drive success with new things.
FromSoftware wanting to go in another direction contradicts their actions because they have kinda stayed in the same direction, seeing as how Sekiro & Elden Ring are both ultra hard action games, and the latter in particular is an ARPG just like the Souls series is.

And it's not just about FromSoftware. Sony owns the Bloodborne IP, so if they wanted to, they could license it out to another studio to develop a sequel. we were just talking about the Demon's Souls remake, which was the first time a developer outside of FromSoftware made one of these games; even though it is a rerelease, it's still critically acclaimed with a 92 on Metacritic.

Spider-Man Miles Morales is probably the best selling Ps5 launch title and the one that got the most attention. but to me, DeS is the definitely Ps5 launch title.
Yes, but on PC the player can usually customize the graphics settings in quite a lot of detail to get what they want. The reason to lower resolution is to not have to lower other graphical fidelity aspects, but on PC the player can keep the resolution and drop other things instead. It's all a compromise between all elements that are rendered.

Yes, what they did technically with TLOU2 on the PS4 was quite remarkable. I'm hoping to see something new from them though so I hope that they are working on that rumored fantasy setting game as well.
whoa, a rumored fantasy setting game?! when did this rumor come about?

Sales of video game consoles continue to struggle in the UK, with hardware sales down 39% over April to 71,000 units sold (GfK panel data).
All three major platforms continue to post declines, with overall console sales down nearly 30% year-to-date. So far this year, Xbox Series console sales are down just under 25%, PS5 sales are down just over 25%, and Switch sales are down 38%. It's a situation that's likely to continue until we have sight of new hardware or major game releases to help boost sales.
Sony needs to just take the loss and cut the price of the Ps5.

FromSoftware wanting to go in another direction contradicts their actions because they have kinda stayed in the same direction, seeing as how Sekiro & Elden Ring are both ultra hard action games, and the latter in particular is an ARPG just like the Souls series is.

And it's not just about FromSoftware. Sony owns the Bloodborne IP, so if they wanted to, they could license it out to another studio to develop a sequel. we were just talking about the Demon's Souls remake, which was the first time a developer outside of FromSoftware made one of these games; even though it is a rerelease, it's still critically acclaimed with a 92 on Metacritic.

Spider-Man Miles Morales is probably the best selling Ps5 launch title and the one that got the most attention. but to me, DeS is the definitely Ps5 launch title.

Yes, I think many hoped that Bluepoint Games would make a Bloodborne remaster back then since they did such a great job with Demon's Souls. I also fully agree that the latter was the big release title. Seeing footage of that was what really convinced me that I needed to get a PS5 as soon as possible, despite that I had never played a Souls game before, and my impression was correct.

whoa, a rumored fantasy setting game?! when did this rumor come about?

I heard it a few years ago. Never really followed up on it though as I felt that if there is something to it we'll get official news eventually. I hope it's true but seeing how nothing is said about it I guess the odds aren't great.

Yes, I think many hoped that Bluepoint Games would make a Bloodborne remaster back then since they did such a great job with Demon's Souls. I also fully agree that the latter was the big release title. Seeing footage of that was what really convinced me that I needed to get a PS5 as soon as possible, despite that I had never played a Souls game before, and my impression was correct.
I guess it just comes down to profitability. games are increasingly expensive to develop, and need to sell a lot of copies for the publishers to see a return. for example, I heard Spider-Man 2 which had a production budget in the hundreds of millions, had to sell 7 million copies just to break even. 7 million alone I think is a lot and would count as a success but if they ended up selling 5 million I would still think it's successful but financially for them it would be a failure.

I dunno what Bloodborne's budget was, but it took 7 years to sell 7 million copies which is the latest sales figure. to me that's still a great success, but Demon's Souls the remake sold over 1 million copies and they haven't really reported any sales figures past that. maybe they're thinking that the benefits of making a sequel to Bloodborne would not justify the cost.
I heard it a few years ago. Never really followed up on it though as I felt that if there is something to it we'll get official news eventually. I hope it's true but seeing how nothing is said about it I guess the odds aren't great.
oh I see. Naughty Dog has been overall kinda silent this generation. outside of the eventual PC releases of their Ps4 games, it's just been rereleases; the remake of tlou1, and a rumored remake of Uc1. all of that is kinda lame in my opinion.

I guess it just comes down to profitability. games are increasingly expensive to develop, and need to sell a lot of copies for the publishers to see a return. for example, I heard Spider-Man 2 which had a production budget in the hundreds of millions, had to sell 7 million copies just to break even. 7 million alone I think is a lot and would count as a success but if they ended up selling 5 million I would still think it's successful but financially for them it would be a failure.

I dunno what Bloodborne's budget was, but it took 7 years to sell 7 million copies which is the latest sales figure. to me that's still a great success, but Demon's Souls the remake sold over 1 million copies and they haven't really reported any sales figures past that. maybe they're thinking that the benefits of making a sequel to Bloodborne would not justify the cost.

Yes, AAA games are quite big risks financially. I don't think Bloodborne, or the Demon's Souls remake, are anywhere near SM2 in budget though and I do remember hearing someone call the remake a financial success. Still, we know that it isn't likely to be happening as Bluepoint is making an original game.

oh I see. Naughty Dog has been overall kinda silent this generation. outside of the eventual PC releases of their Ps4 games, it's just been rereleases; the remake of tlou1, and a rumored remake of Uc1. all of that is kinda lame in my opinion.

Yes, I really want to see something new from that studio. There's a ton of talent there but I feel like I need a fresh approach from them.

Yes, AAA games are quite big risks financially. I don't think Bloodborne, or the Demon's Souls remake, are anywhere near SM2 in budget though and I do remember hearing someone call the remake a financial success. Still, we know that it isn't likely to be happening as Bluepoint is making an original game.
dang, that blows. Demon's Souls was critically acclaimed, so I feel like it makes perfect sense for Sony to have them work on another Souls game after that. maybe even a Demon's Souls 2, if they feel like doing a Bloodborne 2 wouldn't be right. but that goes back to what I was saying before with FromSoftware still just cranking out similar games. Sony could just go to them for another deal to make a sequel.

It would be expensive, but seeing how Souls games have become mainstream, the likelihood of Bloodborne 2 outselling the first game should be much higher.
Yes, I really want to see something new from that studio. There's a ton of talent there but I feel like I need a fresh approach from them.
outside of rereleases, I get the impression that their next priority will be tlou3. if they are working on a fantasy game, it's probably something in its early stages. there is supposed to be a playstation showcase soon, and I doubt we'll see ND there at all.

Any word on a Showcase I feel Sony desperately needs a good showcase after last years pretty weak one.

Yikes
xBV0yAK.gif

Yikes
yep. apparently, the guy that was in charge of Square Enix back when the FFS7 Remake series was made with Sony, stepped down. so there will probably be a lot more multiplatform stuff moving forward.

(more) bad news for Sony.

Or Sony could simply buy Square Enix. Sony plans to buy Paramount Global, so they have the money to buy Square Enix.

Or Sony could simply buy Square Enix. Sony plans to buy Paramount Global, so they have the money to buy Square Enix.
yeah we talked about it here in this thread when @Superhero 101 posted about it how Square Enix sounded like the perfect candidate for an acquisition for Sony, but they have to want to be bought and that doesn't seem to be the case.

If Sony actually makes an offer that is a hard to refuse because "money talks", I don't see why.

The fact that Square Enix wants to go back in Multiplatform releases, shows they need more money/income, and if Sony can see that, Sony could play aggressive by making an offer to buy them completely, for the right amount of course.

If Sony actually makes an offer that is a hard to refuse because "money talks", I don't see why.

The fact that Square Enix wants to go back in Multiplatform releases, shows they need more money/income, and if Sony can see that, Sony could play aggressive by making an offer to buy them completely, for the right amount of course.
I guess if you put it that way, but I do think the desire to be sold also plays a part. Microsoft has all the money in the world and Nintendo laughed at them when the former came to them about an acquisition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"