Playstation 20th Anniversary

I have that theme on both my ps3 and psp, I was kinda late in getting into ps, I got an N64 before I got a ps1, which I believe I finally got around 2000, 2001, then moved onto ps2 in '02 and that's when sony truly captured me with games like mgs2, FFX, gta3, and many more, but those 3 especially because they were my debut into each respective series, haven't looked back since, ps platforms have always been my primary ones since then

Man, this thread has got me so nostalgic!!!:csad: I got my PS1 in '98, PS2 in '02, didn't get a PS3 until '09, but I've been a fan for years, love the systems, will always get a new system as the franchise goes along. Well, maybe until PS5 rolls out, I'll be too old for video games then, lol.

My Top 10 favorite PS games of all time (so far):

1. God of War III (PS3)
2. GTA: San Andreas (PS2)
3. Batman: Arkam Asylum (PS3)
4. X-men Legends (PS2)
5. Tekken 3 (PS1)
6. Infamous (PS3)
7. NBA Street Vol. 2 (PS2)
8. Grand Turismo (PS1)
9. Max Payne (PS2)
10. Xena Warrior Princess-The Game (PS1)

I thought one of the Metal Gears would've found a home on that list. I didnt realise GTA was THAT popular

Nah, Metal Gear Solid games are cult classics. They don't have the same appeal as the far more commercial titles like the GTA series.

Nah, Metal Gear Solid games are cult classics. They don't have the same appeal as the far more commercial titles like the GTA series.

Eh, that seems to be how some people think of them, but honestly, I think they sell too high to just be considered cult classics. That usually implies something that has a relatively small, but incredibly loyal base. A series that's latest installment sold over 5 million units, and highest selling installment is something around 8-9 million units, seems too big for that. Obviously not as high as something like GTA and Halo, but those are the mega blockbusters that are guaranteed to pull in ungodly sells. It's possible for something to still be fairly mainstream and not pull that kind of standard.

When I think cult classic in gaming terms, I usually think something like No More Heroes and Clover/Platinum Game titles.

Last edited:
Your right but in terms of actual appeal, the MGS fanbase is relatively small compared to the other heavy hitters but tbh I'm actually surprised there wasn't a single mention of any of the MGS games.

Well according to VGChartz's numbers the best selling MGS game was MGS 2 (+ Substance) at 5.74 million units. Thats a pretty high number but falls short of the lowest game on that list, Crash Bandicoot by nearly a million

I'm not sure on that number. Most of the estimates I've seen for final MGS2 sales were around 7-9 million.

EDIT: But even if the 5 million is right, my point still stands, 5 million units is still more than a cult seller to me.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on that number. Most of the estimates I've seen for final MGS2 sales were around 7-9 million.

EDIT: But even if the 5 million is right, my point still stands, 5 million units is still more than a cult seller to me.
but does that include Xbox and PC numbers or is it strictly PS2?

It could be, I don't know, it probably was then.

I picked Symphony of The Night and Final Fantasy VII. A tie for me.
Crash Bandicoot 3 is a really close second.

congratulations for 20th sony ps, bring more good games for psvita

I ended voting for FF VII and Symphony of the Night.

Very cool to see the first three Crash Bandicoot games on the list. Pretty much my favorite games to this day. Oh, and FFVII... Man, I miss those days.

Will the PS4 store ever get some PS1 titles or is that a no go at this point?

Nothing has been said about it, but some PS2 games got re-rated lately, so they may be starting to put classics on PS4. Only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"