Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

Havok83

Avenger
Reaction score
ps-featured-image.jpg

Since we originally unveiled our next-generation console in April, we know that there’s been a lot of excitement and interest in hearing more about what the future of games will bring. Today I’m proud to share that our next-generation console will be called PlayStation 5, and we’ll be launching in time for Holiday 2020.

These updates may not be a huge surprise, but we wanted to confirm them for our PlayStation fans, as we start to reveal additional details about our vision for the next generation. WIRED magazine covered these updates and more in a story that posted this morning.

The “more” refers to something I’m quite excited about – a preview of the new controller that will ship with PlayStation 5. One of our goals with the next generation is to deepen the feeling of immersion when you play games, and we had the opportunity with our new controller to reimagine how the sense of touch can add to that immersion.

To that end, there are two key innovations with the PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.

While there’s much more to share about PlayStation 5 in the year ahead, we have plenty of blockbuster experiences coming your way on PS4, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. I’d like to thank all PlayStation fans for continuing the journey with us, as we embark on the future of games.

An Update on Next-Gen: PlayStation 5 Launches Holiday 2020

More details here: Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5—Haptics, UI Facelift, and More

Well I’m pickled tink about it. I was just about to buy a new controller but now I know to hold off.

I wonder what the day one games will be? Of course the number 1 factor that could cause me to jump is cost

Well, if Spider-Man 2 is a launch title, then I'll try and pick up a PS5. If not, then I'll wait until that comes out. Either way, the controller sounds awesome. Maybe by then I can have a 4KHDEIEIO TV or whatever we're up to, now.

Strange that they're announcing it now. Figured they would've done it at E3 or something.

Strange that they're announcing it now. Figured they would've done it at E3 or something.
I guess we’ll get all the bells and whistles at E3. I love new console launches and all the technical info.

Will need to have something super special to get me to purchase this, I mostly use my PS4 for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube etc more than gaming.

Sony has never announced a console at E3 and they didnt even go to E3 last year, which shows how little they value that show in terms of their messaging these days. I do find this announcement odd though as I expected it to be at their own show, press meeting; not a stealth announcement via a Wired article

ETA: I think Im wrong on PS3, but the other PS home consoles

Last edited:
glad it has a 4K player at least. now I'm interested in what MS will reveal next for Xbox Scarlett.

Sony has never announced a console at E3 and they didnt even go to E3 last year, which shows how little they value that show in terms of their messaging these days. I do find this announcement odd though as I expected it to be at their own show, press meeting; not a stealth announcement via a Wired article
When is their show usually?

Will need to have something super special to get me to purchase this, I mostly use my PS4 for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube etc more than gaming.
For the last two weeks, I'm using it for Youtube, so yeah its been more of a web browser/video viewer to me than gaming.

That being said, I might need to start saving some money for this. Though my ps4 pro is only 2 and 1/2 years old which seems pretty early for me to replace.

My PS4 is pretty much a Naughty Dog box so I also won't be upgrading until the PS5 gets bundled with an exclusive that interests me.

When is their show usually?
whenever they have something to annouince. For the PS4 announcement, they did something. I have to make an ammendment to my previous post as I do believe they announced the PS3 at E3. The PS4 was their own press event the Feb before E3. The PS2 was the March before E3 (not sure how they did that). PS1 predates E3

whenever they have something to annouince. For the PS4 announcement, they did something. I have to make an ammendment to my previous post as I do believe they announced the PS3 at E3. The PS4 was their own press event the Feb before E3. The PS2 was the March before E3 (not sure how they did that). PS1 predates E3
Oh I see. So it’s not a fixed date in the calendar, just when they have something to announce. Thanks.

Well, if Spider-Man 2 is a launch title, then I'll try and pick up a PS5. If not, then I'll wait until that comes out.
It's most certainly not.
I wouldn't place my bet on 2021 either.

I'm positive that Horizon 2 is going to be one of the first big titles on the PS5, but I'm not too confident it's gonna come as a launch title. That'd be a great way to start the next-gen, though.

I guess they were worried if there’s a bigger announcement somewhere else it might knock their announcement out of the discussion. I mean clearly they want people talking about it

For the last two weeks, I'm using it for Youtube, so yeah its been more of a web browser/video viewer to me than gaming.

That being said, I might need to start saving some money for this. Though my ps4 pro is only 2 and 1/2 years old which seems pretty early for me to replace.

My PS4 has been that way for a few years, less of a gaming platform more of an entertainment one for my TV... which I suppose it what it's meant to be.

The console's are becoming that expensive that it's naturally drawing in the PC as more of a competitor as one of the things that always put the consoles over was that they were much cheaper.. not anymore. The PS4 launched in the UK at I believe £350-£400 so I presume the PS5 will be at the very least the same, but realistically probably closer to £450-£500, you can get a solid PC for less than that & on top of that the games aren't £50-£60, most new triple-A releases are more in the £30-£40 bracket for PC & if you don't need them right on the release date you can usually pick them up for dirt cheap in a Steam sale which is pretty much the way I do it barring a few exceptions.

2 & 1/2 years is way too soon to be replacing or upgrading something that I presume cost you upwards of £250/$300?

It's most certainly not.
I wouldn't place my bet on 2021 either.

I'm positive that Horizon 2 is going to be one of the first big titles on the PS5, but I'm not too confident it's gonna come as a launch title. That'd be a great way to start the next-gen, though.

Well, that gives me a chance to save up a little longer, then! It's not that I don't want to buy a net gen, but buying it at launch is always pricey. Another year or two afterwards when all the bugs are worked out and there's a Spidey sequel...that works just fine for me.

I dont see Horizon 2 or Spiderman 2 being launch titles. Sony doesnt need them to be. Best to save them till the install base is a bit larger to maximize sales.

It would be lovely to see a fresh franchise. A new console launch is always the best time to create something new. Although sometimes it doesn’t work out like that Victorian game that launched with the PlayStation 4.

It would be lovely to see a fresh franchise. A new console launch is always the best time to create something new. Although sometimes it doesn’t work out like that Victorian game that launched with the PlayStation 4.
You mean The Order 1886? That actually didnt launch with the PS4 but came out in 2015. Unless there's some other Victorian game Im blanking on

My PS4 has been that way for a few years, less of a gaming platform more of an entertainment one for my TV... which I suppose it what it's meant to be.

The console's are becoming that expensive that it's naturally drawing in the PC as more of a competitor as one of the things that always put the consoles over was that they were much cheaper.. not anymore. The PS4 launched in the UK at I believe £350-£400 so I presume the PS5 will be at the very least the same, but realistically probably closer to £450-£500, you can get a solid PC for less than that & on top of that the games aren't £50-£60, most new triple-A releases are more in the £30-£40 bracket for PC & if you don't need them right on the release date you can usually pick them up for dirt cheap in a Steam sale which is pretty much the way I do it barring a few exceptions.

2 & 1/2 years is way too soon to be replacing or upgrading something that I presume cost you upwards of £250/$300?
I don't know how much the original ps4 cost. But I got ps4 pro more or less 350 us dollars if my us dollars conversion is correct,back in 2017 and the price of ps4 pro is pretty much the same right now here, around 333 dollars. A lot of laptops here costs more than twice the price of a ps4 and a high end android phone is more expensive (and phones these days are always replaceable since theres always a new model), so I find the cost of a ps4 pretty affordable, especially I don't watch cable/live tv anymore, and its much better watching stuff with the ps4, because its connected to the tv.

I'm thinking of saving 400 us dollars for a year for ps5 so I wouldn't feel the weight of dropping 400 dollars in next next December. I just hope one of these games (Assassin's Creed, Skulls & Bones and Ghosts of Tsushima) comes along with itand its compatible with ps4 games.

You mean The Order 1886? That actually didnt launch with the PS4 but came out in 2015. Unless there's some other Victorian game Im blanking on

that’s the one. Really? I’m sure I remember it being a launch title that everyone was really excited about to see what the new consoles will be like

that’s the one. Really? I’m sure I remember it being a launch title that everyone was really excited about to see what the new consoles will be like
PS4 launched Nov 15. 2013
The Order 1886 released Feb 20, 2015. It was never gonna be a launch title but it was scheduled for late 2014 before being delayed into 2015

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"