Super Mario The Official Super Mario Thread

Previews

What’s New in Super Mario 3D World?

Mario is making his first big appearance on the Wii U with Super Mario 3D World, and Shaun has a look at the best new abilities..

and

• 10 New Things From Super Mario 3D World Video Reveals Fifth Playable Character

Preview
    on Nov 13, 2013 at 08:20 PM
    cafe-icon.png

We know Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad are all playable in Super Mario 3D World, but a new video today reveals that Super Mario Galaxy's Rosalina will also be a playable character.
    ... More

Super Mario 3D World’s Double Cherry Powerup Came From A Mistake. November 14, 2013 . 9:30am

The Double Cherry powerup in Super Mario 3D World came about as the result of a mistake on the part of member of the game’s development team, Nintendo have revealed.

Super Mario 3D World has a new powerup called the Double Cherry, which creates clones of Mario and co. if they acquire one, allowing you to control multiple versions of your character. And while the powerup is called “Double Cherry,” trailers for the game has shown up to eight Marios being controlled by a single player using multiple Double Cherries.

Interestingly, the Double Cherry powerup came about as the result of a mistake on the part of member of the game’s development team, Nintendo have shared in an Iwata Asks interview.

When asked how the clone mechanic came about, director Kenta Motokura replied, “Well actually…we discovered that when a staff member made a mistake with the placement tool and put in two player Marios.” He added, “When we saw that, we thought it was great! So we went ahead and put that in the game.”

On the subject of the development team, co-director Koichi Hayashida reveals that about 100 people worked on Super Mario 3D World.

“At first, about 40 to 50, but there were about 100 in the end,” Hayashida shared, adding that this is partly why the number of ideas suggested by the development team for the game was so high. “When that many people threw out ideas, there was about three times more than ever before.”

Super Mario 3D World will be available for Wii U on November 22nd.

source: EPD.TV/ROTR & GI

Last edited:

• GI Rating 9.25
    Super Mario 3D World

hot-post.png
    cafe-icon.png

on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Nintendo does it again, blending novelty with nostalgia to offer some of the best couch co-op out there.
    ... More

and

source: GI & GT

Really want to play this. This is more like it from Nintendo.

This game is incredible. One of the best the year easily. I think only Bioshock Infinite is better.

I wish Nintendo could churn this kind of stuff out ALL the time.. But.. I hate that they'll probably go back to hibernating after Christmas.

Next year we get Donkey Kong, Mario Kart and Smash Bros definitely no hibernation there

I really, really hope they port 3D world to 3DS.

oh yeah I didn't put this up when they talked about it

Nintendo Aren’t Done With Super Mario Galaxy Yet. November 16, 2013 . 9:30am

“I should point out that this doesn’t mean we’ll never make another Super Mario Galaxy game,” says Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, while discussing Super Mario 3D World.

Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U is a clear evolution of Super Mario 3D Land on the Nintendo 3DS. While it is an entirely new 3D Mario game, it’s building upon the combination of 2D and 3D Mario that 3D Land attempted, opting to drop the full-fledged exploratory style of games like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy.

In a recent Iwata Asks interview, Nintendo’s president asks Super Mario 3D Land producer Yoshiaki Koizumi how he feels about players that say a game like Super Mario Galaxy is better suited to a console Mario experience. Koizumi, who directed Galaxy, replies, “Well… first of all, I say thank you.”

He goes on to elaborate that he has certain regrets regarding Super Mario Galaxy, which he feels have been addressed in 3D World. For starters, Koizumi has wanted Mario and Luigi to be able to play together in a 3D Mario game since Super Mario 64. While Luigi did make an appearance as unlockable character in Galaxy several years later, you weren’t able to control him with a second player alongside Mario. This is an issue that has finally been rectified in Super Mario 3D World with 4-player co-op.

Second, Koizumi says, he feels that Mario Galaxy was a title more suited to boys. The addition of Princess Peach in Super Mario 3D World makes the title more appealing to women in addition to men, he suggests. Furthermore, he adds, having a greater variety of characters with unique abilities in a game like 3D World makes the game more widely appealing in general.

Then, Mario co-creator Shigeru Miyamoto pitches in. “Just so there is no misunderstanding, I should point out that this doesn’t mean we’ll never make another Super Mario Galaxy game,” Miyamoto clarifies.

He elaborates, “The same team can’t make both at the same time. And we can’t bring in a second party and slap the name Super Mario Galaxy on it. I suppose we could idealistically make both in Tokyo, but we want to do something new too, so there was that dilemma. Personally, I would like to take on a variety of new challenges with Super Mario Galaxy and design 2D Super Mario games in an easy-to-understand way within certain restraints.”

source:siliconera

This game almost makes me want to buy a WiiU again.... Almost.

I really, really hope they port 3D world to 3DS.

I doubt that's even possible. They'd be better of just making 3D Land 2 since it'd require them to basically remake the entire game over again.

There doesn't appear to be anything in 3D World that couldn't be done on the 3DS using lower-quality assets. But I haven't played it, so maybe there's some crazy stuff in there I haven't seen that would require more powerful hardware.

I don't know much about, but I've always heard downporting is a much harder thing to do than upporting, which is relatively easy and quick. I doubt it's really a practical expectation to be honest.

This is the 1st time I've wanted to get a Wii U. It's probably still too expensive but more importantly I don't have space for it. Already have about 10 devices around my downstairs TV and XB1 will be the last thing coming in that doesn't require something else being kicked out. :csad:

I haven't regretted my Wii U purchase at all. I still need to pick up Super Mario U and ZombiU. I'm hoping something will come along for both next friday.

As far as this game goes, I think I'm liking it even more than 3D Land. As odd as the catsuit is, I love the way it plays. And the cherry thing is so trippy, just great stuff. Some of the best level design. I didn't think anything could beat Wonderful 101 for GOTY, but I'm thinking this is going to come close. Haven't had a chance to play multiplayer, though, hopefully I can get some people together next week and try it out.

Nice I can't wait to get it. I don't regret buying my Wii U last year either. I knew there would be tons of games as time went on that I would want. Nintendo is still one of the best devs out there.

I don't think a wii U is that bad of a purchase for a Nintendo fan with either a PS4, XB1 or gaming pc. Just for those who aren't getting anything else. I want to play this Mario game more than anything else coming out at the moment.

Now that we're starting to get solid Wii U titles it's a must have for Nintendo fans. I've still got Xbox for all that stuff, and I'll eventually get the Xbone or PS4, but Nintendo is keeping my gaming bone pleased. I gotta wait until Christmas to get this new Mario game unfortunately.

It gets damn hard. Don't let the videos showing early worlds fool you. The later levels get tough

It gets damn hard. Don't let the videos showing early worlds fool you. The later levels get tough

That's great. I liked that 3D Land felt easy at first, and then absolutely got impossible later. I love that.

The last 4 worlds are really tough and the last world is ridiculously hard to even get to

I hope they either...

A.) Bundle this with the WiiU.. As I would probably buy one... Again.

Or

B.) Port this to the 3DS.

Second is wishful thinking, I know.

I'm sure there will be a bundle with 3D world at some point in time. Next holidays maybe? I don't think it's wishful thinking to hope for a port....I think it might be impossible thinking? I really don't think it'd be possible without basically remaking the entire game. The game looks great and has a lot of content, I don't think it'd be an easy job. They would be better of just making a 3D Land 2, which I would be fine with.

EDIT: I hope those saying that know this isn't an upport from 3D Land? I know that was a mistake made in the beginning, but it is a new game built from the ground up for the Wii U. 3D Land is more just sort of the template for design, this is very much a natively built HD title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"