• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Official Superman Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darthphere said:
To furhter prove what Q, and I are saying. In the Public Enemies of the Superman/Batman arc when they both pretty muched kicked Lex out of office, yes he got into the Green and Purple suit but when he was consequently defeated what did he do? Go crazy and start building robots and ****? No, he organized all the world's supervillains he could and formed the Society to take down the heroes. Rational, logical, intelligent plan. Not getting into some kryptonian transformer and firing tanks at people.

Actually, that was Alexander Luthor. Lex formed the Secret Six to find out who was impersonating him.

The Question said:
Lex's characterization was completely off, though. He was basically Snidely Whiplash in a bald cap. No depth at all. Just "mwahaha I'm a *****ebag!"

I agree Lex's change back into "evil scientist" was a bit off. I like my Lex to be a mix of mad scientist, genius, buisnessman, philanthropist. Scheming plans in the background but I've always seen Lex to have one hell of a temper. I don't think it harms the character for him now and again to get angry and try to destroy stuff. Just as long as after his tantrums he regains his composure. Yes, he loves Metropolis - but we all get angry and hurt stuff we love. Lex just has the knowledge and the means to be able to hurt more things.

then after the whole Secret Six ordeal, he started that Super hero gene manipulation thing during 52, and then something happens down the line where he fails (probably due to his arrogance missing some minute detail once again) and loses everything in Up, Up, and Away.

yenaled said:
I agree Lex's change back into "evil scientist" was a bit off. I like my Lex to be a mix of mad scientist, genius, buisnessman, philanthropist. Scheming plans in the background but I've always seen Lex to have one hell of a temper. I don't think it harms the character for him now and again to get angry and try to destroy stuff. Just as long as after his tantrums he regains his composure. Yes, he loves Metropolis - but we all get angry and hurt stuff we love. Lex just has the knowledge and the means to be able to hurt more things.

Still, seems out of character for Lex. It would be like beating the women you love for him. Yes, some people do that. But there are lines Lex won't cross. Harming Metropolis is one of them. At least, it should be.

The Question said:
But that's the way it's always been. He's never wanted humanity's adoration. He wants to save humanity. Wether we like it or not. Really, I prefer my Lex as a morally questionable anti hero with a messiah complex, Up Up and Away returned him to the days of the irrational supervillain who just likes blowing stuff up and not taking into acount that he'll land in jail for being so obvious about it.

I never really saw Lex as a questionable anti-hero, but a self-contradicting guy. He thinks Superman acts as if he's above humanity when Lex himself thinks he's better than everyone. Lex wants humanity to bow before him. He's smart and successful, and he doesn't hesitate to rub it in at times. But when Superman appears, he's angry but he's losing his attention. He's like a god who's angry because the people began worshipping someone else instead of him.

In my mind, Lex is hedonistic, narcistic, xenophobe.

He doesn't want humanity to bow down to him. He may be highly egotistical and he does possess a sort of messiah complex, but I think he really does wnat to save the world. He just has very morally questionable methods in doing so.

The Question said:
He doesn't want humanity to bow down to him. He may be highly egotistical and he does possess a sort of messiah complex, but I think he really does wnat to save the world. He just has very morally questionable methods in doing so.

I think that description fits (or did fit) Ra's Al Ghul more than Lex Luthor, though I understand where you're coming from.

I think Lex wants to save the world but not really for humanity but for his own adulation.

Again. it's not so much about adulation. Yes, he;d got an ego and likes to admire his acomplishments, but he honestly cares about making a better world.

Also, about Ra's, he doesn't really have an ego. The League of Assasins do worship him, but that's simply so he can ensure their loyalty. He always struck me as rather humble.

The Question said:
Again. it's not so much about adulation. Yes, he;d got an ego and likes to admire his acomplishments, but he honestly cares about making a better world.

Also, about Ra's, he doesn't really have an ego. The League of Assasins do worship him, but that's simply so he can ensure their loyalty. He always struck me as rather humble.

Oh Ra's is humble. I was referring the messiah complex comment. Ra's has it more than Lex does. While Lex does want to make the world better, I firmly believe Lex wouldn't do anything unless he was benefitting from it in some form.

No. Lex certainly sees himself as the savior of mankind. As I said, he's the kind of villain who wants to save the world wether we like it or not. Way I see it, were he in the Wildstorm universe, he'd be funding the Authority. That's his philosophy on how to make the world better. Do whatever it takes.

No it's not, he's all about two things: benefiting himself, and benefiting the non-metahuman population.

There's no way in Hell Luthor would fund the Authority.

He would fund the Boys the beat the f*** out of the Authority.

The Question said:
No. Lex certainly sees himself as the savior of mankind. As I said, he's the kind of villain who wants to save the world wether we like it or not. Way I see it, were he in the Wildstorm universe, he'd be funding the Authority. That's his philosophy on how to make the world better. Do whatever it takes.

As long as he's getting something in return.

If Lex was funding the Authority, he'd also probably have them on call to destroy Superman whenever he wants, LOL.

But seriously, Lex would have to be getting something from the Authority if he was funding them. He wouldn't do it out of the goodness of his heart. Lex would have an ulterior motive.

You're not really getting what I'm saying. Lex is the type who believes in making a better world by whatever means necessairy. The Authority share this philosophy. Thus, he'd fund them. He does have motives other than greed. Even if they only make sense to him.

Luthor wouldn't fund the Authority because, when it comes down to it, at his core, Luthor would rather deal with non-powered people than powered, because he believes in the raw human spirit. A small accomplishment by one without powers is infinitely superior, in his eyes, to a major accomplishment by one with powers. If he had the choice between dealing with the Authority or dealing with the Boys, he'd pick the Boys every time.

The Question said:
You're not really getting what I'm saying. Lex is the type who believes in making a better world by whatever means necessairy. The Authority share this philosophy. Thus, he'd fund them. He does have motives other than greed. Even if they only make sense to him.

Ah, I see. Though I still can't see him funding them just because he wants to make the world a better place.

I agree, businessman/John Bryne/modern Lex luthor would fund authority, if he got somehting in return etc.modern Lex luthor may see himself as some warped "savior" of mankind, but silver-age Luthor is just an evil genuis who hates superman [for balsding him]and wants to rule the world. curently we have silver-age Lex Luthor not the Lex Luthor:Man of Steel.

The Leaguer said:
Luthor wouldn't fund the Authority because, when it comes down to it, at his core, Luthor would rather deal with non-powered people than powered, because he believes in the raw human spirit. A small accomplishment by one without powers is infinitely superior, in his eyes, to a major accomplishment by one with powers. If he had the choice between dealing with the Authority or dealing with the Boys, he'd pick the Boys every time.

Ah. Very very true. I simply used The Authority as an example because they share many of his world veiws. But you are correct, he'd rather deal with a group of normal humans and simply supply them with weapons or maybe genetic enhancements to deal with metas than metas. Of course, he's been shown to be willing to work with metas in the past if he felt he could trust them or if their skills were necessairy.

Eros said:
I agree, businessman/John Bryne/modern Lex luthor would fund authority, if he got somehting in return etc.modern Lex luthor may see himself as some warped "savior" of mankind, but silver-age Luthor is just an evil genuis who hates superman [for balsding him]and wants to rule the world. curently we have silver-age Lex Luthor not the Lex Luthor:Man of Steel.

And here I thought we had both.:ninja:

If Luthor were to deal with the Authority, it would be in the same fashion that he dealt with the Society: using them as a means to an end, ready (and even planning) to double-cross them at every step.

However, I think Luthor would truly feel good about himself if he dealt with the Boys. In the same style as Hope from Man of Steel or his new team of genetic "heroes," he would view them as the product of the human spirit, and would truly believe in them as heroes. Would he be willing to back-stab them if it came down to it? Sure, he'd sell out his own daughter (he kinda did), but he'd feel s***ty about it (just like with his daughter).

The Sage said:
No I'm a guy. What the heck kind of question is that?

Oh man im really really really really really sorry, its just your avatar had these pictures of beautiful woman, so i just came to the conclusion your may be a female.

The Leaguer said:
If Luthor were to deal with the Authority, it would be in the same fashion that he dealt with the Society: using them as a means to an end, ready (and even planning) to double-cross them at every step.

However, I think Luthor would truly feel good about himself if he dealt with the Boys. In the same style as Hope from Man of Steel or his new team of genetic "heroes," he would view them as the product of the human spirit, and would truly believe in them as heroes. Would he be willing to back-stab them if it came down to it? Sure, he'd sell out his own daughter (he kinda did), but he'd feel s***ty about it (just like with his daughter).

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back