The Official Syfy Channel Original Movie Appreciation Thread

This week, the Syfy Channel Original Movie is

The Almighty Thor

Hmm, I'm no expert, but the timing of this can't be coincidental.

It may be crap but at least it has got big stars like Professional Wrestling & part time actor Kevin Nash as Odin, The Mummy's Patricia Velasquez, & 21 Jump Street's Richard Grieco as Loki.

My favs...

Man-Thing
The Black Hole
Area 51
Wyvern
Mansquitio(?)
Pterodactyl

A few more I ca...

Ice spiders

Yeah, some of these have actually decent directors. One who directed ice spiders and the black hole, directed the gate back in the day and now a Christian slater and Cuba gooding jr dtv...their first one...with like these two women...the guy who did wyvern did the I spit on your grave remake.

Oohhh or what about Crimson Force with Ponyboy Curtis himself?!?! haha

Almighty Thor wasn't half bad, but it had room for improvement. Kevin Nash was a pretty decent Odin.

Almighty Thor wasn't half bad, but it had room for improvement. Kevin Nash was a pretty decent Odin.

It was at least better than THOR: Hammer Of The Gods. At least we got a big budget Thor movie now although based on a comic book interpretation of the Thor legend.

It may be crap but at least it has got big stars like Professional Wrestling & part time actor Kevin Nash as Odin, The Mummy's Patricia Velasquez, & 21 Jump Street's Richard Grieco as Loki.

I'm afraid they didn't help the movie at all.

Wow that Almighty Thor movie was pretty bad.

Acting, direction and story was the exact opposite of the Theatrical One.

I know the budget was way low BUT c'mon that story and acting could have been better.

But I guess you get what you paid for.

Kevin Nash was just reading his lines and Richard Grieco couldn't care less.

I guess the writers felt the same way.

Saw the tail end of Highlander the source this early morning. ....the producers and Lionsgate...screwed that movie behind the scenes. They had better scripts...and as for the bad guy...that goes on the director.in the Russian cut (which has a better opening credits, no voice over by Anna in beginning or ending, longer fights, better editing, and more Joe, Duncan, and methos...not a masterpiece...but a bit more watchable at least!) he has more horrid lines. Glad I have a fan made cut of it...as for the region one DVD...decent 80 minute doc...but the REAL meat was in the not shown post production.

Highlander movie series: one giant "If Only...." At least we have director cut of highlander and the rough cut of endgame on DVD. Oh...and that Russian cut of the source...different writing credits from SyFy cut.

Last edited:
I spit on the Highlander franchise ever since they killed off Conner.

A good Syfy movie & a Video Game Adaption ? I am hearing others say it was good

Yeah Red Faction Origins was good.

After the movie, I was waiting for them to announce the tv series.

Yeah Red Faction Origins was good.

After the movie, I was waiting for them to announce the tv series.

this is 25 years before Armageddon...they could probably get another tv movie or two out of it

I wonder since this is getting positive reaction will Syfy do more Video Game adaptions ?

Caught Moby Dick the other night, an updated version where Ahab is a navy captain and the whale chomps on nuclear subs! So dire it was hilarious but nice to see Renee O'Connor again, she hasn't done nearly enough since Xena. CGI has made B movies a lot more impressive than they really have any right to be

I spit on the Highlander franchise ever since they killed off Conner.

Remember in Highlander 2 we see Connor in the future AND see that Immortals can ressurect one another as Connor does with Ramirez, I think the true Highlander's story is far from over

Moby Dick premieres here tonight. I'm looking forward to this one. I am absolutely convinced that it will be a masterpiece.

Last edited:
Tonight it's Megashark vs. Crocosaurus starring Jaleel White.

I watch the movies and virtually all of them are C-budget movies with C-list casting or has-been actors to bring it up to B-movie quality. Occasionally they'll do a good one in spite of the poor quality they produce but it's fun to nitpick and laugh at how ridiculous virtually everything and everyone involved in it is.

Remember in Highlander 2 we see Connor in the future AND see that Immortals can ressurect one another as Connor does with Ramirez, I think the true Highlander's story is far from over
Only that sequel is non-canon. It's been officially declared AFAIK too. Too bad because I liked it. It was a completely new take on their origins but it was entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"