The Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow News and Discussion Thread

Just any female director though? What if they tapped Sam Taylor Johnson lol
Certainly not just any, but there are numerous talented female directors out there and for any of them to take the helm for such a project should probably be the default choice. I could definitely get around a male director but they'd have to find a really good one to justify not going with a woman and like others have said there's also an apparent overall lack of diversity for DC projects. Which shouldn't be a surprise given Zaslav is the CEO.

Looking at Gillespie’s involvement with other projects, we’ll probably see further casting announcements this summer as well as a release date. It’s definitely going to get made, question is how good will it be.

Gender aside, this feels like a pretty middle of the road pick. I don't even know if I would categorize it as a "safe" pick, because a safe pick would have undoubtedly been a woman.

It's giving off this energy:
how-it-feels-to-scroll-this-sub-sometimes-v0-5v7d1kvppb7c1.jpeg

Certainly not just any, but there are numerous talented female directors out there and for any of them to take the helm for such a project should probably be the default choice. I could definitely get around a male director but they'd have to find a really good one to justify not going with a woman and like others have said there's also an apparent overall lack of diversity for DC projects. Which shouldn't be a surprise given Zaslav is the CEO.

I mean, I get it. There are more white men involved in this whole thing then any other group, but the lack of diversity thing feels kinda thin to me in this instance. A women will lead this film. A woman wrote this script. A black woman is creating one of their next shows that will be led by 2 black women.

I get your point and I agree that a woman could indeed be a better voice here. Plenty of good options out there, woman or otherwise, but Gillespie isn’t some random man. A man also wrote this story and he’s heavily involved himself.

Last edited:
I never expected Gunn to get big names to direct these movies. They're either not interested or would cost too much and would want too much creative control. All we can do is hope that Gunn actually sees something in these filmmakers that make them a good choice to direct a given project instead of just throwing random indie directors at these 200M behemoths and hoping for the best i.e. what Marvel seems to be doing nowadays.

Start with the wish list (say, Greta Gerwig).

From there… who wants to direct it (based on genre and the script — which are sorta non-negotiable)? Then who’s available to do it (schedule wise)? Then who’s affordable?

So the list might not be as long as we imagine.

I never expected Gunn to get big names to direct these movies. They're either not interested or would cost too much and would want too much creative control. All we can do is hope that Gunn actually sees something in these filmmakers that make them a good choice to direct a given project instead of just throwing random indie directors at these 200M behemoths and hoping for the best i.e. what Marvel seems to be doing nowadays.
That is the sad reality for most blockbusters these days. Studios getting smaller names just so that executives can control them more and leave little to no room for creative differences. DCEU was extremely problematic but at least it gave filmmakers more freedom to follow their own style. If what you say is indeed the case then Gunn is probably following the Disney model for his new universe which kind of sucks for me.

But wasn't Mangold going to do a Swamp Thing movie? I don't know if that's still happening, especially after The Dial of Destiny, but I was hoping WB would go for more creative choices, like him.

I don't even think it's about creative control honestly. I think it's just as simple as the fact that "big names" have their own projects they wanna do that they're already attached to so really the likelihood of them being interested on taking any project developed by someone else in general is low because they're already working on their passion projects (Gerwig, for example). If Greta Gerwig was offered full creative control over Supergirl I still think she'd have said no because of Narnia.

But wasn't Mangold going to do a Swamp Thing movie? I don't know if that's still happening, especially after The Dial of Destiny, but I was hoping WB would go for more creative choices, like him.

As of now, he's still on board.

That is the sad reality for most blockbusters these days. Studios getting smaller names just so that executives can control them more and leave little to no room for creative differences. DCEU was extremely problematic but at least it gave filmmakers more freedom to follow their own style. If what you say is indeed the case then Gunn is probably following the Disney model for his new universe which kind of sucks for me.

I could be totally wrong but considering that it seems like Superman will be immediately followed up by Supergirl, Gunn might be focusing on bigger name characters first and looking at how many lesser known characters both at Marvel and at DC have under-performed the last couple of years it's probably a good idea. You don't want to start this new universe off with Swamp Thing and The Authority to then see them both bomb.

I don't even think it's about creative control honestly. I think it's just as simple as the fact that "big names" have their own projects they wanna do that they're already attached to so really the likelihood of them being interested on taking any project developed by someone else in general is low because they're already working on their passion projects (Gerwig, for example). If Greta Gerwig was offered full creative control over Supergirl I still think she'd have said no because of Narnia.
Well, the first point I mentioned was that they might not just be interested.

Swamp Thing is probably gonna have a way smaller budget than Supergirl, hence being able to take that gamble.

I could be totally wrong but considering that it seems like Superman will be immediately followed up by Supergirl, Gunn might be focusing on bigger name characters first and looking at how many lesser known characters both at Marvel and at DC have under-performed the last couple of years it's probably a good idea. You don't want to start this new universe off with Swamp Thing and The Authority to then see them both bomb.
Yeah I didn't think that it was one of their first projects coming out, even despite having a director announced. I just mean that Mangold was literally the first name that we've heard for a DCU project (not counting Muchietti), even before Gunn confirmed he'd do Superman, so at that point I figured they would probably go for similar type of experienced filmmakers for the rest of their projects.

I never seen any Gillespie film, but I hope for the best. Happy this film has a director and is shooting later this year.

I suspect to hear about casting come summer.

Mangold is a way bigger name with more prestige than Gillespie.
Mangold is a top shelf, high end studio guy. Way higher calibre than Gillespie who’s just… competent and quirky. At best.

Something I do appreciate is that they're following up Superman with Supergirl so quickly. None of this "here's a cameo and you'll get her solo movie in 4 years" nonsense.

In regards to the creative freedom thing: I don't think Gunn intends to micromanage ANY of his creatives, including Craig. I think the idea with hiring someone like Craig is precisely that he's the sort of director that even if you give him complete and total creative freedom he'll still end up following the script and doing the movie the studio wants anyway. I expect a similar approach will be taken when hiring directors for The Authority and Teen Titans (I'd say Brave and the Bold too but I'm very bullish Gunn will direct that himself)

If Gunn wanted to micromanage someone he'd have picked some indie director he can just knock around as he pleases, like Feige does. Craig is the sort of journeyman you don't have to worry about regardless.

I think Gunn wants creative he can hire and put their trust in so he can then just go off and spent most of his days directing or writing things himself, opposed to micromanaging them and checking everything they do every single day.

Something I do appreciate is that they're following up Superman with Supergirl so quickly. None of this "here's a cameo and you'll get her solo movie in 4 years" nonsense.
I’m just happy about it because there’s a decent chance this DCU won’t pan out, and with this movie moving so quickly it means we’re much more likely to actually see it. :hehe:

I’m just happy about it because there’s a decent chance this DCU won’t pan out, and with this movie moving so quickly it means we’re much more likely to actually see it. :hehe:

Hadn't even thought about it like that but you're absolutely right.

If Superman is a success (and I think it will be) there's no reason it wouldn't pan out, at least the first projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"