Sasha Calle is Supergirl

Bottom line is, we don't know what they're going to do in terms of her look. So, at this point , it's about debating our own individual preferences as opposed to arguing her hair color based on what we know about the character's actual look in the film.

For me, the hair color thing is not that big a deal , in the sense that it's a deal breaker. Even if I'm very attached to a character.

Amy Adams didn't dye her hair black to play Lois, neither did Erica Durance. Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland didn't dyed there hair to look just like the comic book Peter Parker.

Michael Keaton's hair wasn't the exact same color as the comic book . Daniel Craig's Bond is blonde.

I'm attached to all of those characters , but when it comes to my favorite characters , above everything ,the most important thing for me, is that an actor captures the spirit and the soul of the character, not that they look 100% aesthetically like the comics or previous iterations.

It's a nice cherry on top , and it's great when you can do both and have both, but I want an actor or actress who can act , not someone who looks the part exactly like in the comics for the sake of comics accuracy.

For me, it's about capturing the character, and alot of times, an actor or actress who maybe doesn't look like they stepped right from the page will achieve that better than an actor who looks exactly like their comic book counter part.

In Supergirl's case, we've had 3 blonde Supergirl's over the past 40 odd years on film and tv. Would it really be horrible imo if we had a brunette Supergirl on film?

If Sasha captures the spirit and essence of the that character, then , no , it's not a problem for me. I can believe that she's Supergirl without Blonde hair, if she can make me believe she's Supergirl.

But again, we really don't know what type of look they're going for, and we don't know if this Supergirl is Kara.

SO happy with this news, that we are getting the character in the DCEU. I'm not looking forward to the Flash film at all but the news of the inclusion of this news is good moving forward, at least.

For me, the hair color thing is not that big a deal , in the sense that it's a deal breaker. Even if I'm very attached to a character.

Amy Adams didn't dye her hair black to play Lois, neither did Erica Durance. Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland didn't dyed there hair to look just like the comic book Peter Parker.

Michael Keaton's hair wasn't the exact same color as the comic book . Daniel Craig's Bond is blonde.

I'm attached to all of those characters , but when it comes to my favorite characters , above everything ,the most important thing for me, is that an actor captures the spirit and the soul of the character, not that they look 100% aesthetically like the comics or previous iterations.

It's a nice cherry on top , and it's great when you can do both and have both, but I want an actor or actress who can act , not someone who looks the part exactly like in the comics for the sake of comics accuracy.

For me, it's about capturing the character, and alot of times, an actor or actress who maybe doesn't look like they stepped right from the page will achieve that better than an actor who looks exactly like their comic book counter part.

In Supergirl's case, we've had 3 blonde Supergirl's over the past 40 odd years on film and tv. Would it really be horrible imo if we had a brunette Supergirl on film?
Not awful. Unneccessary, to me, as the character is blonde, yes. Why not have the character be blonde?

There are some character I prefer their hair color to be the same as their comic versions more than others. Harley's and Catwoman's, not necessarily, moreso for Harley in her non Harley form. Poison Ivy's, yes. Lois Lane and Barbara Gordon's, at least as Batgirl, yes. Supergirl, yes. To me, those looks are visually for their characters. They don't have to be hair style ripped right off the page verbatim.

Personally, I've never been into Amy Adam's' version having red hair. Black Canary is another preference of mine, at least after she becomes Black Canary. Smallville, funny enough, I didn't even think of Lois' hair as blonde until later. I just saw it as light brown, which I didn't have much issue with and personally prefer that look to her later darker haired look. Maybe that's just me.

Tobey and Tom I think their hair is fairly similar in color to almost all versions of Spider-Man I've seen.

Bond, as a character, has had many actors with different hair colors play him. I think the hair changing is more apart of the character than not.

Not awful. Unneccessary, to me, as the character is blonde, yes. Why not have the character be blonde?

There are some character I prefer their hair color to be the same as their comic versions more than others. Harley's and Catwoman's, not necessarily, moreso for Harley in her non Harley form. Poison Ivy's, yes. Lois Lane and Barbara Gordon's, at least as Batgirl, yes. Supergirl, yes. To me, those looks are visually for their characters. They don't have to be hair style ripped right off the page verbatim.

Personally, I've never been into Amy Adam's' version having red hair. Black Canary is another preference of mine, at least after she becomes Black Canary. Smallville, funny enough, I didn't even think of Lois' hair as blonde until later. I just saw it as light brown, which I didn't have much issue with and personally prefer that look to her later darker haired look. Maybe that's just me.

Tobey and Tom I think their hair is fairly similar in color to almost all versions of Spider-Man I've seen.

Bond, as a character, has had many actors with different hair colors play him. I think the hair changing is more apart of the character than not.
Agreed.

As you said, such a change is unnecessary. Yeah. You could change Supergirl's hair color but why? Why change something that has stayed relatively consistent for all these years and across all the different media incarnations of Kara Zor-El?

And, for a character like Supergirl, I'd argue that her hair color is an important visual cue because unlike other characters, Kara does not wear a mask, helmet, or other type of covering. So, her hair color is always visible and always on display and thus almost becomes a part of her costume. It's a part of her overall look.

Also, as a visual cue, it makes her stand out compared to other characters like Wonder Woman and her cousin Superman. If she had dark hair just like Superman, then she really would just come across as "female Superman." At least her blonde hair gave her some kind of visual distinction compared to her cousin. And, if you put a Supergirl figure next to a Wonder Woman figure, and they both had dark hair, then there likely wouldn't be much to tell them apart other than their costume. Again, at least with blonde hair, Supergirl stands apart.

Another poster made a point how most of the DC film characters have dark hair, including ones who are supposed to be blonde in the comics. So, if you make yet another blonde character dark hair, then that would be kind of boring without much diversity in hair color, as you'd once again have yet another dark haired character in the DC film universe. At least with blonde hair, Supergirl would stand out more.

Of course, as has been said, this is all just fun speculation because we don't even know if this will be indeed be Kara version of Supergirl. And the multiverse does give them the excuse to change up the character's looks. So, we shall see.

But just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD do something. And that applies to any of the changes made to these established characters.

Last edited:
So is this a multiverse thing, or a multiverse thing that could become canon, or...

Supergirl, though. Cool.

This was posted in another thread/forum.
Supergirl movie with latina lead and female lead.
Supergirl: In August 2018, a film centered on Kara Zor-El / Supergirl, was announced to be in development with Oren Uziel penning the script. Warner Bros. is seeking a female director. In February 2021, Sasha Calle had officially been cast in the role, with the character making a first appearance in The Flash (2022).

She kind of looks like my therapist.

I wasn't on here when she was announced, but I like the casting at least looks-wise. I would prefer Supergirl be blonde, but I think Sasha would look good with a darker shade of blonde (I actually think she's better suited to it than Melissa Benoist was). If they keep her a brunette, that's on them, not the actress.

So are they going with an adult Supergirl yet again after a whole series about that? Laura Vandervoort was also an adult Supergirl. Can't they give us a teen one for a change? We haven't had that since 1984.

Superman is always an adult in his films, I dont see it as an issue. But there's nothing (that ive seen) confirms one way or another how old Supergirl will be.

Superman is always an adult in his films, I dont see it as an issue. But there's nothing (that ive seen) confirms one way or another how old Supergirl will be.

But the actress is 26 and doesn't look like a teen. She's about the same age as Melissa Benoist in season 1 of Supergirl.

But the actress is 26 and doesn't look like a teen. She's about the same age as Melissa Benoist in season 1 of Supergirl.

When has being 26 stopped Hollywood from having an adult portray a teen? She could be 19 for all we know which is a teen but an adult.

Sasha Calle was recently cast as the DC movie universe's Supergirl. Any words of wisdom for her as she gears up to don the cape? And what do you feel is your legacy from your time as Kara and Supergirl?

You know what? I don't have any words of wisdom because it's such a personal thing. All I can say is that I can't wait to see her version of the character, and her and I have DMed on Instagram. I reached out to her when she got the news in the video when she found out she got the role, which made me cry, because I felt that and this role, she just seems perfect for it. I think that staying true to yourself and playing this role is the best thing you can do. I have no doubt that she's going to do that. I feel like that's what I'm most proud of, is that I've never compromised in playing this role what I really felt mattered for her and for what we were saying to young girls out there. What we represent was always at the forefront of my mind in every line I said and every step I took. Every heat vision I did, every freeze breath I blew, it always came back to this. This is for young girls. I did it as the first female superhero show since Wonder Woman, but Sasha will be doing it as the first Supergirl who is a person of color.

Melissa Benoist: How 'Supergirl' Ends 'Does the Character Justice'

Isn't this version of Supergirl going to be in an alternate reality timeline where Superman likely doesn't exist? This isn't going to be the CW Supergirl universe either way, so why are we fixated on the age? Aside from being adults I doubt these two versions of the character will have much in common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"