The Wrestling Thread Is The Wrestling Thread 365 Days A Year! - Part 249

Status
Not open for further replies.
29542585_1647483788650839_5930790162473207911_n.jpg

Yeah, sorry I know she's the big thing right now but I don't believe Asuka is so much better than the other girls, I think booking her to walk through the whole division makes the rest of the girls look bad, I don't buy that she's better than all the other girls, and I don't think it's the right way to go. You have all these girls who have been busting their ass and making the women's division legit and she just comes in and turns them all into jobbers. Maybe it's just because I don't find her interesting and don't think she's better than everyone else, but I just think it makes the division look weak. I think it would be better to have her go into some big rivalries with the other top girls and work some great matches, have her mystique as this great worker rub off on the other girls and build the whole division.
You don't think Asuka has busted her ass? She's be doing this for 14 years. Also, who in the division has the offense to compete with her? Like in a legit manner. Asuka basically spends a lot of time trying to make the others looks better. So she puts their offense over plenty.

So New Japan announces that they will have an event in July at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. The question I have is: Could they be able to sell out the Staples Center? that place seats 19,000.

So New Japan announces that they will have an event in July at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. The question I have is: Could they be able to sell out the Staples Center? that place seats 19,000.

Doubtful. NJPW are still niche in the US.

Doubtful. NJPW are still niche in the US.

It's probably the route they take in the US for at least another decade. However, I do think they can sell out the Cow Palace, which seats 10,000. Like it or not, the WWE is still mainstream as John Cena, Dwayne Johnson and Dave Batista are examples of this.

Last edited:
NJPW Strong Style Evolved was crazy tonight!!!!!!!!!!

You don't think Asuka has busted her ass? She's be doing this for 14 years. Also, who in the division has the offense to compete with her? Like in a legit manner. Asuka basically spends a lot of time trying to make the others looks better. So she puts their offense over plenty.

Well, considering it's fake and completely choreographed (painfully so half of the time), I think most of the women can. It's called selling.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something and I'll admit I'm not the wrestling fan I used to be, I've really just been watching matches on Youtube the last couple Months to catch up but I just don't see her as being so much better than the other girls. I don't know her history, or who her trainers were like you guys, I just see her in the ring now (her main roster matches and 2-3 NXTs) and I don't see her as levels ahead of the other girls. She's one of the better girls, but I don't see this huge gap. And like I said, maybe it's just because I don't find her or her style in the ring interesting at all, and I'm missing the little nuances of her outworking the others, etc... I just don't see it. And considering she can't cut a promo, which is half of the business, I see it even less.

I do know, that regardless, I think having her go undefeated through the whole division makes the division look weaker. Having her wipe out all the girls that have been on the main roster, on the weekly shows and PPVs for months/years lessens the division. What do you do with her once she's beaten everyone? What's the point of watching her matches when we already know she's going to win every match? Who does she feud with when she can't talk to sell storylines? That's just my thoughts on it.

It's not that I think Asuka hasn't earned it, I just think undefeated streaks do more harm than good. Especially when the wrestler is CLEANLY beating other wrestlers who are clearly going all out to beat them. It hurts the opponents because it makes them look "less" and it hurts Asuka because once she DOES start losing, it makes her look weak.

It's the same issue that Brock Lesnar has now as champ. He's just running through every wrestler on the roster so in the end no one looks strong enough to be a "champion". Even Reigns.

If I could shift gears for a minute, I think it's really important that WWE goes with one of the two high-profile tag matches to close Mania this year. Anyone who thinks AJ and Nakamura have a shot in hell of closing need to lay off the weed, so stop that thinking right now. Reigns ending the night is just a buzz killer,, unless they do some angle where Reigns gets jumped by his first post-WrestleMania opponent or you turn him.

Bryan closing agaln in New Orleans could work. People are going to eat this up and you have a McMahon in there so that could please WWE.

Honestly though, WWE should go the WrestleMania I route and end with the celebrity tag match. Steph's gonna get her ass whooped, Triple H and Angle are there, and Rousey is going to get people talking. It's gotta be the last thing we see in my opinion.

Last edited:
I would not be at all surprised if the Ronda vs. Stephanie feud continues after Mania, because the WWE won't resist the temptation of a singles match between them. Nothing wrong with that to be honest because it keeps Ronda out of the title picture for a bit longer.

I haven't watched in ages, so I have a question. How is Sonya Deville as a performer? She seems the most logical first real feud for Ronda. Is she any good on the Mic? I've only seen her in the rumble

Maybe not easily, but I bet NJPW could pull a big crowd at the Long Beach Arena.

I haven't watched in ages, so I have a question. How is Sonya Deville as a performer? She seems the most logical first real feud for Ronda. Is she any good on the Mic? I've only seen her in the rumble

She has an MMA background, so she is strong in the striking department. However, the arrival of Ronda Rousey may stunt her development in the WWE as they will have similar gimmicks.

Yeah that's why I suggested they feud. They could play up striker vs grappler. It would be an easy set up.

If I could shift gears for a minute, I think it's really important that WWE goes with one of the two high-profile tag matches to close Mania this year. Anyone who thinks AJ and Nakamura have a shot in hell of closing need to lay off the weed, so stop that thinking right now. Reigns ending the night is just a buzz killer,, unless they do some angle where Reigns gets jumped by his first post-WrestleMania opponent or you turn him.

Bryan closing agaln in New Orleans could work. People are going to eat this up and you have a McMahon in there so that could please WWE.

Honestly though, WWE should go the WrestleMania I route and end with the celebrity tag match. Steph's gonna get her ass whooped, Triple H and Angle are there, and Rousey is going to get people talking. It's gotta be the last thing we see in my opinion.

Well, for me, the most interesting match by far is the Intercontinental Championship match, you have two of the best workers with Rollins and Balor and you got Miz causing mischief as the cowardly heel. The one drawback being that any match with 3 or more singles guys/gals in it are transparently choreographed, and then when you get to 4 Ways, 5 Ways Six Pack's, forget about, where 2-3 guys are rolling out of the ring for no reason what so ever other than to give 2 guys some breathing room so there's less botches, but it looks awful. Sorry, those matches are one, if not my biggest pet peeve with today's wrestling, on paper it's great but the execution, especially in recent years is awful but Triple threats aren't AS bad as those others, so I digress.

But yeah, the IC match I believe will be at worst the 2nd best match of the night. But, it's a midcard Championship, especially now that they have 2 belts ahead of it instead of just one, so that isn't happening.

The last match on the card I want to see as the Main Event is the Mixed Tag Team with HHH, Angle, Stef and Ronda, I literally won't be watching it. HHH and Kurt shouldn't be out there anymore, Stef never should have been allowed in the ring or on the mic in the first place way back when and even more so now, Ronda is green and this doesn't hold much weight for where she's gonna be a few months from now, so I have no interest. Pretty much the same with the U.S. Championship, Orton's Orton, he's been doing the same matches for almost 2 decades or something now, Roode I like a bit but hes a midcarder and Jinder is trash.

I think it's obvious that the fans want Styles and Nakamura last but, the Universal Title is THE Title now, it is what it is, it's going last. And to be honest, as predictable as the match will be and basically a rerun of 3 years ago, I've seen worse Main Events at Mania.

Last edited:
Yeah that's why I suggested they feud. They could play up striker vs grappler. It would be an easy set up.

And the story could be that Sonya wasn't able to make it into the UFC while Ronda had all the success.

I think there is a greater chance of AJ and Nakamura opening the show than of them closing it.

Well, considering it's fake and completely choreographed (painfully so half of the time), I think most of the women can. It's called selling.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something and I'll admit I'm not the wrestling fan I used to be, I've really just been watching matches on Youtube the last couple Months to catch up but I just don't see her as being so much better than the other girls. I don't know her history, or who her trainers were like you guys, I just see her in the ring now (her main roster matches and 2-3 NXTs) and I don't see her as levels ahead of the other girls. She's one of the better girls, but I don't see this huge gap. And like I said, maybe it's just because I don't find her or her style in the ring interesting at all, and I'm missing the little nuances of her outworking the others, etc... I just don't see it. And considering she can't cut a promo, which is half of the business, I see it even less.

I do know, that regardless, I think having her go undefeated through the whole division makes the division look weaker. Having her wipe out all the girls that have been on the main roster, on the weekly shows and PPVs for months/years lessens the division. What do you do with her once she's beaten everyone? What's the point of watching her matches when we already know she's going to win every match? Who does she feud with when she can't talk to sell storylines? That's just my thoughts on it.
That is not how it works. The selling is half of it. The other is the execution and throwing of offense. How the wrestlers carry themselves. No one carries themselves like Asuka. No one moves like Asuka. In a way it is like seeing Serena Williams play tennis. Such a clear difference from the others.

She has had some of the best matches in all the WWE the last few years, and one of the best performers in terms of character. Excelled more in NXT with good writing, but her natural charisma keeps her over on the main roster with the poor writing. Her matches with Nikki Cross and Ember Moon are great stuff. Fans legitimately worried about the streak.

Asuka rarely wipes anyone out. She has good and competitive matches with almost everyone.

Man has HHH aged. He looks worse tonight than ever. Stephanie is killing him with her excessive nagging.

That is not how it works. The selling is half of it. The other is the execution and throwing of offense. How the wrestlers carry themselves. No one carries themselves like Asuka. No one moves like Asuka. In a way it is like seeing Serena Williams play tennis. Such a clear difference from the others.

She has had some of the best matches in all the WWE the last few years, and one of the best performers in terms of character. Excelled more in NXT with good writing, but her natural charisma keeps her over on the main roster with the poor writing. Her matches with Nikki Cross and Ember Moon are great stuff. Fans legitimately worried about the streak.

Asuka rarely wipes anyone out. She has good and competitive matches with almost everyone.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I don't see her as the best or drastically better than any of the top girls. Everyone has their favorites, that's why there will never be a clear cut "Greatest Wrestler of All-Time" *cough*Bret Hart*cough*, you ask 10 different people you get 10 different answers. Different strokes and all that.

Asuka will be appearing on UpUpDownDown very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"