• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Endgame Thor/God of Thunder - Chris Hemsworth

Asgardian metabolism would not allow him to get that fat. I dont think compelling is good word to describe Thors plunge into depression. Its pretty 1 note and the constant humour associated with his conditions lessens the impact from a viewers POV. It can be almost considered bullying.

Nonetheless, Xaviers ''pity party'' was far more than just losing his legs. It was losing the students, the teachers and closing down his school for the gifted which had been his dream. And most importantly losing his little ''sister'' in Mistique to Magnetos evil ways.

There are fat Asgardians, amigo. So that is not true.

Asgardian metabolism would not allow him to get that fat. I dont think compelling is good word to describe Thors plunge into depression. Its pretty 1 note and the constant humour associated with his conditions lessens the impact from a viewers POV. It can be almost considered bullying.

Nonetheless, Xaviers ''pity party'' was far more than just losing his legs. It was losing the students, the teachers and closing down his school for the gifted which had been his dream. And most importantly losing his little ''sister'' in Mistique to Magnetos evil ways.

Poor Xavier loses the use of his legs - like millions of other people on earth - and CHOOSES to close down his school and self medicate. And he does it because something bad that happened to HIM. Thor went into depression because of his failure to protect OTHERS. Because that's what heroes do.

Xavier may have been slender, but he was a much bigger buffoon in DOFP than Thor was in Endgame.

Poor Xavier loses the use of his legs - like millions of other people on earth - and CHOOSES to close down his school and self medicate. And he does it because something bad that happened to HIM. Thor went into depression because of his failure to protect OTHERS. Because that's what heroes do.

Xavier may have been slender, but he was a much bigger buffoon in DOFP than Thor was in Endgame.

Vietnam war shut down the school because it drafted teachers and students, he didnt choose to shut down anything.

Heros dont abandon Asgard like Thor did at the end.

Point is both Xavier and Thor lose the people they cared most about through one reason or another. Pity that Endgame didnt follow up on the good character work they established in IW for Thor and instead made him a running gag

There are fat Asgardians, amigo. So that is not true.

They didnt get fat through eating or drinking iirc. Volstag can eat a big feast by himself and not get any fatter. The amount of earthly beer kegs on view as Thors monthly suuply shouldnt really make him gain that much weight because of his superior metabolism

While there is a lot of comedy with Thor, I disagree that they didn't follow-up on his character work in IW. I think they followed up on it beautifully. Thor's subplot is one of the best in the movie, IMO.

They didnt get fat through eating or drinking iirc. Volstag can eat a big feast by himself and not get any fatter. The amount of earthly beer kegs on view as Thors monthly suuply shouldnt really make him gain that much weight because of his superior metabolism

How else do you think Volstagg got fat, dude? :dry: Like seriously, Volstagg's over-eating and his weight have no correlation. Right....

While there is a lot of comedy with Thor, I disagree that they didn't follow-up on his character work in IW. I think they followed up on it beautifully. Thor's subplot is one of the best in the movie, IMO.

Just feel they didnt really give him that redemption moment. He gets a cool scene where hes emitting lightning and calls for Stormbreaker and Mjlonir but thats whilst hes out of shape and doesnt do much with it. I wanted to see something as brutal as in the opening 20 minutes when he chops Thanos head off. Or the rage force in Ragnarok on the rainbow bridge. Anything to ''snap'' him out of his depressive state and return to being prime, focused Thor - never really got that in Endgame

Just feel they didnt really give him that redemption moment. He gets a cool scene where hes emitting lightning and calls for Stormbreaker and Mjlonir but thats whilst hes out of shape and doesnt do much with it. I wanted to see something as brutal as in the opening 20 minutes when he chops Thanos head off. Or the rage force in Ragnarok on the rainbow bridge. Anything to ''snap'' him out of his depressive state and return to being prime, focused Thor - never really got that in Endgame

Thor's adventures are also continuing. So his arc as a character in general is incomplete. Cap's and Tony's arcs end like they do because they're done. Thor was never going to be the guy that took out Thanos or anything in this movie. It was always going to be Tony, and I would agree that Thor didn't get a "Bring me Thanos!!!" moment in Endgame, but his character arc was strong and it has set him up where he needs to be going into his next appearance. Now we know Thor sees he is not the man he is supposed to be, now he will discover who he is for himself. It's a good arc.

Genetics. Some people are just born bigger

This is 100% an assumption here. There is no evidence Volstagg in the movies was always fat or bigger. But we do see he eats a lot. You're basically making stuff up to support a hypothesis you cannot substantiate.

Vietnam war shut down the school because it drafted teachers and students, he didnt choose to shut down anything.

Heros dont abandon Asgard like Thor did at the end.

Point is both Xavier and Thor lose the people they cared most about through one reason or another. Pity that Endgame didnt follow up on the good character work they established in IW for Thor and instead made him a running gag

The educational system in America didn't shut down because of the War in Vietnam. Xavier's school fell apart because he fell apart by wallowing in self pity. And Thor left Asgard in pretty good hands. You know, the super powerful warrior woman with the flying horse?

Endgame Thor dusted himself off, went toe to toe with an indestructible space god, took a front line position in the most amazing battle in cinematic history and then went off for new adventures in outer space. That's good character work.

The educational system in America didn't shut down because of the War in Vietnam. Xavier's school fell apart because he fell apart by wallowing in self pity. And Thor left Asgard in pretty good hands. You know, the super powerful warrior woman with the flying horse?
The woman warrior he hardly knows and has no idea if she is a good leader or not? - considering she left Asgards forces a while back as explained in Ragnarok. What must the people of Asgard think when they see theyre long time Odin-Son leaves them to join Guardians for no particular reason.

Xaviers school was mutants so they would be useful in war and disproportinatly selected.

Endgame Thor dusted himself off, went toe to toe with an indestructible space god, took a front line position in the most amazing battle in cinematic history and then went off for new adventures in outer space. That's good character work.

Yes it was in IW.

THANK YOU (Insert Steve Carell gif here)! Exactly what bothered me. Valkyrie, drunk for decades, rocking body. Steve Rogers at the end of The first Avenger, can't even get drunk in the first place. Thor, 1500 years old, godly stamina and, like you pointed out, Asgardian metabolism, looks like the embodiment of the God of Diabetes. This circumstance is worsened by the fact that, as another poster correctly pointed out, his fatness is merely a poorly deployed plot device to let others shine. Additionally, also as others pointed out, his depression is played for laughs...Except for the end battle he was played for laughs in basically every scene. Even when he is about to meet his dead mother and former love affair he acts like a little whiney child and get slapped by Rocket....for laughs. I still clearly remember his last conversation with Valkyrie where the frame of their handshake focussed on Thor's gut to tickle some further laughs out of the audience.

Last edited:
This is 100% an assumption here. There is no evidence Volstagg in the movies was always fat or bigger. But we do see he eats a lot. You're basically making stuff up to support a hypothesis you cannot substantiate.

From Thor 1

Fandral : [to Volstagg] Our dearest friend banished! Loki on the throne! Asgard on the brink of war! Yet you managed to consume four wild boars, six pheasants, a side of beef and two caskets of ale! Shame on you! Don't you care?

[dashes the plate from Volstagg's hands]

Volstagg : Do not mistake my appetite for apathy!

The amount of alcohol shown in Endgame isnt that much to make him fat, extreme metabolism burns it all off

The woman warrior he hardly knows and has no idea if she is a good leader or not? - considering she left Asgards forces a while back as explained in Ragnarok. What must the people of Asgard think when they see theyre long time Odin-Son leaves them to join Guardians for no particular reason.

Valkyrie clearly had been immersed within New Asgardian Society during the five years post snap.

Xaviers school was mutants so they would be useful in war and disproportinatly selected.

They were drafting underage mutants?

Yes it was in IW.

I was describing Endgame. You should watch it! It's great!

From Thor 1

Fandral : [to Volstagg] Our dearest friend banished! Loki on the throne! Asgard on the brink of war! Yet you managed to consume four wild boars, six pheasants, a side of beef and two caskets of ale! Shame on you! Don't you care?

[dashes the plate from Volstagg's hands]

Volstagg : Do not mistake my appetite for apathy!

The amount of alcohol shown in Endgame isnt that much to make him fat

The scene you're quoting doesn't prove he cannot get fat. It proves he can eat/drink a lot. You don't get fat instantly. It takes time. Volstagg's eating is habitual. Therefore, a very likely cause to his weight. I mean, do you think if he was getting fat that suddenly, his belly would expand like a balloon on screen?

Here is the other factor in metabolism you're not factoring in: activity level. Thor was not active during those 5 years. When you don't exercise, guess what happens to your metabolism? It declines! So if Thor was consuming alcohol non-stop, but was still fighting evil, maybe he wouldn't be fat. But he is sitting around playing video games and sulking.

The amount of alcohol shown in Endgame isnt that much to make him fat, extreme metabolism burns it all off

Where are you coming up with this stuff? In the film Valkyrie pointed to a pile of kegs Odinson consumed recently. And his extreme metabolism ain't doing much if Thor's activity consists of squaring off against noobmaster69 online.

If he got that then the show would have ended quickly. Or else Capt and Iron Man wouldnt get the send off that they deserved for their last movie. Thor had to be nerfed sadly and from what ive read Chris Hemsworth likes to act in more of a comedic fashion than a serious one. He could have put up the idea of a fat thor. If he wanted it that way then even i as a fan of thor cant really argue about that.

Thor's adventures are also continuing. So his arc as a character in general is incomplete. Cap's and Tony's arcs end like they do because they're done. Thor was never going to be the guy that took out Thanos or anything in this movie. It was always going to be Tony, and I would agree that Thor didn't get a "Bring me Thanos!!!" moment in Endgame, but his character arc was strong and it has set him up where he needs to be going into his next appearance. Now we know Thor sees he is not the man he is supposed to be, now he will discover who he is for himself. It's a good arc.
Yes i agree with you. A huge clue was dropped during age of ultron when tony had the vision that thanos killed all the avengers, with Capt telling him that he could have saved them before dying. He felt very burdened and conflicted about that. And i think the whole MCU development showed how tony eventually changed, from being conflicted to being convicted and was willing to sacrifice himself to save the his team, the whole world and now even his family. Nice that he has a daughter though.

I loved Endgame and I enjoy the depth and layers that the Russos have brought to Thor as a character. Still as a Thor fan I was left feeling pretty dissatisfied. The only thing I have to go on is "but his story is not over". In the hands of James Gunn. We will see.

Now while I'm not in love with what they did with Thor's physique it actually makes sense to me. I've made this point before but think back to Age of Ultron when Thor was sharing his Asgardian liquor aged a thousand years in barrels built from the wreck of Grunhel's fleet. "Not meant for mortal men." Rogers was the only other human who could even handle it. That right there tells you how much Midgardian beer Thor would have to drink to even feel the slightest buzz.

Now imagine the efforts to drown out the guilt and torment Thor might feel while blaming himself for the deaths of literally trillions? How much beer would the guy have to drink? For five years? I'm sorry but he's going to get fat, Asgardian metabolism be damned.

Lastly I'd just like to make the point that Volstagg wasn't always fat. There's an old tale from the comics called "When Volstagg Was in Flower" and dude was fit as a fiddle.

latest

I liked Thor's character in Thor 1 and in the Avengers.
The humor and character work was really the shinning aspects of their approach. Also there was a level of badassery to go along with it which it made it even more enjoyable.

I strongly disliked The Dark World because it was so uninspired and it did a disservice to the character and the franchsie. Sure it had some redeeming moments but by far the bad outweighed the good. Visually it more or less followed the same path as the first movie but there was just a general blandness about the whole thing. It was a massive misstep in the franchise and one that soured people's taste and interest in it.

Then we had Age of Ultron which i liked and they even did some decent stuff with Thor but again the shadow from the TDW loomed over the character. Thor had some interesting stuff sprinkled through but he still felt very much like an ancillary character.

I loved Ragnarok because it revitalized the franchise and the character in a big way. Ragnarok had to accomplish a lot in order to succeed... and it did just that, not only critically but box office-wise. They leaned heavily into what had worked before, the humor and Hemsworth's natural charisma. Did they lean a bit too much into the comedy angle? Yes. Did it all work? No. But for the most part it was a fresh, new, engaging and reinvigorating new take. It definitely had some flaws like a superficial brush to the drama, a unevenness to the story, some debatable narrative choices and dodgy execution of important scenes.

In the end of the day the good largely outweighed the bad. Hemsworth performance was great, the Thor stuff was a treat, cool, funny, badass... Taika's direction was fresh, funny and bold. Great characters where successfully introduced, solid character work... Out of this world visual flair, solid soundtrack, strong and overall successful creative choices throughout.

Infinity War picked up where Ragnarok left off. Largely a very different movie but one that expertly used the groundwork laid out before to create a strong and compelling story arc for the character. Thor was at his very best in IW. Strong character work. The drama was executed very well, the humor was subdued but on point and he was as badass as the fans want him to be.

AEG dealt with the repercussions of the thirst for revenge overshadowing his best judgement. It definitely was a layered and impactful look at the character. It took the moment of humanity laid out in IW by his conversation with Rocket and built on that by making the character even more human, flawed and relatable. His physical transformation is a big and understandable point of contention though. While the portrayal was funny and also tragic, it didn't hit that perfect balance because it leaned a bit too much into the misery and worthless angle. Coupled with the fact of Thor being a shadow of his former self it's easy to see why some people had their issues with this portrayal of the character.

I agree mostly with this but really disagree about Dark World. I realize it was in many ways a missed opportunity and I blame it on the choice of director but Marvel Studios was still relatively young and hadn't truly found its stride yet. There's also this impossibly high standard their success has now set for them.

But I still really enjoy that film and will never understand the hate it gets. Sometimes I think it's my favorite Thor film and I'm not even joking. Because Thor was Thor to me. For the whole film. He could've been more charismatic but it fits where he was in his arc at the time. Marvel has been figuring out this character this whole time and it's been interesting to watch. But I don't think anyone but Hemsworth could have pulled it off through all these incarnations like he has.

I never thought Thor ‘s character needed fixing. In Thor 1 Hemsworth perfectly captured the character from the comics, he was charming, regal, a little arrogant and naive, the way Thor should be. Thor was never a jokester, his humor came from his natural ignorance/ naivety on how things worked on earth. They didnt need to lean heavier on his comedic side but its what Taika Waititi and Hemsworth wanted and Ragnarok landed with the audiences so this is the Thor we’re getting from now on.

Agree completely here but I understand Hemsworth needing to inject more of himself into the character. By doing so he's managed to bring more charisma to the role and it's clear to me he has effectively won over many more fans.

It's also why RDJ's Stark has worked so well. Compare RDJ's Tony Stark to the original Tony Stark that Stan Lee created followed up by decades of comic book history (before 2008) and while RDJ still maintains the essence of the character IMO, you'll see he's quite different. In a good way. Now the comics and other forms of media where Iron Man appears base their version on RDJ's take.

At the moment it looks like Hemsworth is going to end up doing at least 9 films as Thor. He deserves to make it his own. He's earned it and he's actually shown himself to be a really great actor.

As long as Marvel preserves the essence of Thor as a character, I'm enjoying the ride. I like that they are trying new things. However, they are walking a dangerous line and I'll admit I'm a little worried. If Thor remains a fat slob from here on out well then they have gone too far. That is WAY out of character for him.

I expect him to be back to his true form in the next two films. If not well then I will be very disappointed and it will honestly sour my view of the MCU as a whole. Just how I feel about it.

As long as Marvel preserves the essence of Thor as a character, I'm enjoying the ride. I like that they are trying new things. However, they are walking a dangerous line and I'll admit I'm a little worried. If Thor remains a fat slob from here on out well then they have gone too far. That is WAY out of character for him.

You can't just expect him to miraculously recover from the emotional trauma of the events of IW and move on without long-term (physical and psychological) damage. He is still a broken man and his guilt for failing in IW won't have fully abated (he could just as easily see himself as inadvertently responsible for Nat and Tony's deaths). As the Russos have said, Thor at the end of EG is still a long way from recovering from his failure in IW. And that leads me to think that Fat Thor is here to stay (for better or worse).

It also makes sense from a practical perspective, since Thor in prime physical shape in GOTG Vol. 3 would render the rest of the team redundant. Keeping him in Lebowski form allows for the likes of Rocket and Quill to have their moments in the spotlight.

Maybe it's an excuse that helps if Hemsworth doesn't want to weight lift as much anymore?

I don't like fatThor but understand it.
I just want heroic, brave intelligent and effective Thor, shape be damned.

I really don't know how I feel with him in Guardians, but I know I'm going ng to watch the film anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"