Endgame Thor/God of Thunder - Chris Hemsworth

One moment I didn’t really like in AEG was this...

C5j7cML.gif

It was a funny little thing but there was no need whatsoever for this to happen, other than giving Captain America even more of the spotlight and providing a bit of levity.

Wielding Stormbreaker is suppose to drive people “mad”. Thor himself said it so. It’s part of the weapons mythos and it’s something that should be respected otherwise it looses its weight and importance.

Also Thor basically says that only beings of Thor’s strength or superior can wield it and while it’s understandable why Thanos was able to hold it, it doesn’t really work with Cap... because he can wield Mjølnir because of the enchantment/he’s worthy. Cap is nowhere near as strong as Thor and that moment shouldn’t really happen or shouldn’t really carry much weight.

Hopefully in the future that “madness” angle won’t be dropped as some random thing Thor said. It would add so much more depth and importance if at one point and after prolonged use of Stormbreaker, Thor himself falls prey to the “Warrior Madness/beserker rage” an important aspect of both Nordic mythos and the Thor comics.

I had the exact same reaction when I saw this in the theaters. My head canon says because Cap had just wielded Mjolnir he was still possessing the "power of Thor". Maybe's there's a 60 second timer like back in the Lee/Kirby days. :-)

I mean if Cap couldn't retain Thor's power momentarily then the hammer could never return to him like it does for Thor.

I don't think Thor was worthless in this film at all. But he wasn't an MVP like he was in Infinity War. His story here is more character oriented. They were a little heavy handed with the humor and I also disliked the Cheese Whiz comment but I thought it was a good story. The conclusion is not satisfying for me but hey more films blah blah. I guess that's how Marvel keeps us on the hook. I am glad to be getting more Thor but that depends... I don't want more Fat Thor. I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

However in AEG, Thor did serve the plot. He brought back Mjolnir in the main timeline (had to be him). He was definitely instrumental in the final battle. Holding off Thanos buying time and just in general I mean you want Thor on your side during something like this.

Lastly, I know Cap gets all the limelight near the end but the most obvious role Thor plays to me is that he's the one juicing up Cap. If Thor dies where does Cap get the power? Odin was very clear in Ragnarok that the hammer was not the source of Thor's power - just a conduit. The power was his own. So in Thor's weakened state, he gave that power to Cap (by means of the Mjolnir enchantment). Cap was Thor's surrogate in that moment. So yeah Thor had to be there.

That's how I see it.

I hear what you're saying. I mean to me that's no different than Thor hanging out with Hawkeye and Black Widow and even Cap (although the MCU seems to have made him much stronger). To me only Hulk, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Wanda, and Vision are really on or close to Thor's level.

The difference is that Thor has never really spent prolonged periods of time working alongside the likes of Widow or Clint. In AOU, he went off on his own for a large chunk of the movie, in IW he was again on his own personal quest and in EG, well, y'know.

That's quite different from Thor spending an ENTIRE movie with Quill, Mantis and Co., in which virtually any problem they face that's a challenge for them can be effortlessly solved by Thor.

Drax has been under utilized but he has been shown to have some insane durability (the GOTG2 space travel sequence with him tethered do the back). Gamora is clearly enhanced. Groot can hang.

That still isn't remotely comparable to Thor taking the force from a neutron star. Drax would have been instantly incinerated by that.

Surely they can keep Thor busy with a foe on his power level while the other Guardians do their thing.

It's definitely possible. It would just take some pretty creative writing and the temptation will always be there to keep Thor fat in order to make the rest of the team seem relevant - as well as to get more laughs out of the audience.

If they don't want Thor to be Thor then invent a new character I guess.

They pretty much already did, and they have been richly rewarded for it.

Last edited:
If anything, Endgame would have actually been a great place for Thor to make the sacrifice card as well.

Think about it; up until now Thor has done somewhat of a poor job in saving people and maintaining the peace in the nine realms. He couldn't save his home and people from Hela and Thanos.

Then Thor failed to stop Thanos from carrying out his plans in wiping out half of all life in the universe.

He did little to nothing to contribute in taking down 2014 Thanos either. If he had at least sacrificed his life in stopping Thanos then his life would have amounted to something imho.

Now, Thor went from being the Mighty Avenger/King of Asgard to a fat guardian. The only thing that Thor has been good at is serving as someone else's punching bag.

I honestly do not know on how you can redeem his character from here.
He tried to when he stepped forward to put on the gauntlet and bring everyone back. "Let me do something good." He wanted to make that sacrifice to redeem himself of the failure he felt.
If anything, Endgame would have actually been a great place for Thor to make the sacrifice card as well.

Think about it; up until now Thor has done somewhat of a poor job in saving people and maintaining the peace in the nine realms. He couldn't save his home and people from Hela and Thanos.

Then Thor failed to stop Thanos from carrying out his plans in wiping out half of all life in the universe.

He did little to nothing to contribute in taking down 2014 Thanos either. If he had at least sacrificed his life in stopping Thanos then his life would have amounted to something imho.

Now, Thor went from being the Mighty Avenger/King of Asgard to a fat guardian. The only thing that Thor has been good at is serving as someone else's punching bag.

I honestly do not know on how you can redeem his character from here.

Thor did save his people from Hela. She was killed, right?

Sure, he couldn't save everyone, and Asgard itself ended up getting destroyed, but then again Cap wasn't able to prevent a lot of innocent Shield agents from getting killed in WS as part of his effort to take down Hydra. And Cap wasn't able to prevent Shield itself from being destroyed as an organisation.

So, is Cap a failure too?

Sure, he couldn't save everyone, and Asgard itself ended up getting destroyed, but then again Cap wasn't able to prevent a lot of innocent Shield agents from getting killed in WS as part of his effort to take down Hydra. And Cap wasn't able to prevent Shield itself from being destroyed as an organisation.

If you watch, she actually vanishes in a flash of green *just* before Surtur's sword would've hit her

If you watch, she actually vanishes in a flash of green *just* before Surtur's sword would've hit her

Nope, she's most definitely dead. All of those fan theories about her appearing in IW/EG turned out to be moot.

Besides, if she can teleport, then what was the point of her needing Heimdall's sword to operate the Bifrost?

Nope, she's most definitely dead. All of those fan theories about her appearing in IW/EG turned out to be moot.

Besides, if she can teleport, then what was the point of her needing Heimdall's sword to operate the Bifrost?
Those theories turning out to be moot isn't proof that she's dead.

Also, just because she can teleport herself doesn't mean she'd be able to teleport her entire army, which I'm pretty sure is what she wanted Bifrost for (to continue conquering worlds)

They pretty much already did, and they have been richly rewarded for it.

That's not creating a new character. That's changing an existing character. Which just bolsters my original point. That Thor fans don't want Thor to become unrecognizable. Because that's not why they became fans to begin with.

That may be the case but it's still poor storytelling to not give him some kind of closure to his arc before he starts a new chapter in his life.

And really at the end of the day, what did Thor do/contribute in this film that resulted in Thanos's defeat? Nothing. Thor was not in any way useful in either taking down Thanos or reversing the snap.

I mean everyone keeps dancing around that topic. So far, I have not seen anyone who could find a reason to justify Thor even being in this film other than getting fat and joining the guardians at the end.

Thor was so depowered in this film that I am pretty sure there quite a few established individuals now that could kill him. Especially with a person not needing to be worthy or powerful to wield stormbreaker. Just take that weapon away and you can use it to kill Thor easily.

They gave him closure to THIS arc. He's realized he needs to stop trying to be a guy he isn't and has decided to go figure himself out. That was the arc of this movie. Thor discovering is he is not that guy then who is he is a different arc. So saying they didn't pay off is Endgame arc is patently false.

Those theories turning out to be moot isn't proof that she's dead.

But it does make it more likely. Not to mention the fact that Hela surviving would completely ruin the ending of Ragnarok as Thor's decision to destroy Asgard would have been in vain.

Also, just because she can teleport herself doesn't mean she'd be able to teleport her entire army, which I'm pretty sure is what she wanted Bifrost for (to continue conquering worlds)

That's just speculation. Hela never demonstrated the ability to teleport on her own. And no, the fact that she exited Hel in Norway isn't teleportation, since if it was, it would have made more sense for her to go straight to Asgard. More likely that Odin's imprisonment meant that she would be freed wherever he happened to die.

No Asgardian has ever demonstrated the ability to teleport on their own. Even Thor is only able to travel between the Realms with Stormbreaker; he can't do it on his own.

And if Hela did teleport away from Surtur, wouldn't it have made more sense for her to go straight to the Asgardian ship? And what was she doing during the five years that followed (assuming she survived the Snap)? New Asgard is a glorified fishing village with an overweight, alcoholic king, making it an easy picking for Hela. So why didn't she (again, assuming she survived the Snap) go to Midgard and claim her birthright?

They gave him closure to THIS arc. He's realized he needs to stop trying to be a guy he isn't and has decided to go figure himself out. That was the arc of this movie. Thor discovering is he is not that guy then who is he is a different arc. So saying they didn't pay off is Endgame arc is patently false.

If his scene with Frigga was meant to serve as closure to this stage/phase of his life then I feel like the buildup to it left a lot to be desired.

Up until Thor's reunion with his mother, his whole Fat and Depressed Thor phase was mainly played for laughs. His depression was not because of the burden of being who everyone thought he was supposed to be but more from the guilt of not being able to stop Thanos.

One could also argue that Thor's whole arc, from the moment he was introduced in his first solo film, was about him learning to be a wise king. So for him to throw away that responsibility in the end so easily did not make any sense to me.

And even if you look pass everything mentioned above, that still does not explain on what his purpose was in this film and what he specifically contributed towards stopping Thanos.

Everyone else had their moment where they did something important that contributed towards Thanos's defeat. The only useful thing that Thor did was bringing back his old hammer for Cap to use while serving as a punching doll for Thanos.

Shield was not Cap's responsibility from the start like Asgard was for Thor.

And at least people can say that Cap was essential in stopping Thanos once and for all in endgame. Can people really day the same for Thor?

If his scene with Frigga was meant to serve as closure to this stage/phase of his life then I feel like the buildup to it left a lot to be desired.

Up until Thor's reunion with his mother, his whole Fat and Depressed Thor phase was mainly played for laughs. His depression was not because of the burden of being who everyone thought he was supposed to be but more from the guilt of not being able to stop Thanos.

One could also argue that Thor's whole arc, from the moment he was introduced in his first solo film, was about him learning to be a wise king. So for him to throw away that responsibility in the end so easily did not make any sense to me.

And even if you look pass everything mentioned above, that still does not explain on what his purpose was in this film and what he specifically contributed towards stopping Thanos.

Everyone else had their moment where they did something important that contributed towards Thanos's defeat. The only useful thing that Thor did was bringing back his old hammer for Cap to use while serving as a punching doll for Thanos.

This seems more like you're unhappy with the approach for the character in the movie, which is blinding your opinion. We can argue all day if the Russos went too far into comedy with Thor, but Thor's regret and PTSD were 1000% a major part of his arc in this movie. Why did he not like anyone saying the name "Thanos" if it didn't touch a particular nerve? Why is he telling his mother he is a failure and confessing to his mother that even in killing Thanos he realizes it changed nothing going as far as to call himself an "idiot with an ax" then? I get not liking the approach the used for Thor, but being disappointed with his arc/story doesn't mean he didn't have one. He absolutely did.

As for what he did in the defeat of Thanos, he didn't have a major role in beating him. But guess what? Neither did Captain America. Yes, Cap got to wield the hammer and fight Thanos, but he too was tossed like a rag doll (like Thor) when they were trying to keep him away from the gauntlet. Thor's role in the battle was the same as everyone else's: fight whoever was near him in the battle. Yes, he didn't get as much emphasis in the action sequence as maybe Cap and such did, but he was absolutely in the battle fighting with everyone else.

Last edited:
It's telling that the loudest detractors of Thor in this movie seemingly can't express their frustration without relying almost entirely on hyperbole.

This seems more like you're unhappy with the approach for the character in the movie, which is blinding your opinion. We can argue all day if the Russos went too far into comedy with Thor, but Thor's regret and PTSD were 1000% a major part of his arc in this movie. Why did he not like anyone saying the name "Thanos" if it didn't touch a particular nerve? Why is he telling his mother he is a failure and confessing to his mother that even in killing Thanos he realizes it changed nothing going as far as to call himself an "idiot with an ax" then? I get not liking the approach the used for Thor, but being disappointed with his arc/story doesn't mean he didn't have one. He absolutely did.

As for what he did in the defeat of Thanos, he didn't have a major role in beating him. But guess what? Neither did Captain America. Yes, Cap got to wield the hammer and fight Thanos, but he too was tossed like a rag doll (like Thor) when they were trying to keep him away from the gauntlet. Thor's role in the battle was the same as everyone else's: fight whoever was near him in the battle. Yes, he didn't get as much emphasis in the action sequence as maybe Cap and such did, but he was absolutely in the battle fighting with everyone else.

giphy.gif

Shield was not Cap's responsibility from the start like Asgard was for Thor.

It technically was when you consider that the Strategic Science Reserve from WW2 was the predecessor of Shield. And besides, Cap became one of Shield's most elite operatives between Avengers and TWS, so he definitely bore responsibility for the well-being of Shield as well as by extension the United States. He wasn't able to prevent Hydra from massacring many innocent civilians and Shield agents, just as Thor wasn't able to prevent Hela from massacring Asgardians.

Once, again, does this make Cap a failure?

And at least people can say that Cap was essential in stopping Thanos once and for all in endgame. Can people really day the same for Thor?

Cap didn't do any more to win the final battle with Thanos than Thor did. Even with Mjolnir, he quickly got bodied by Thanos 1v1. Heck, Tony was arguably the least impressive of the Big 3 in the fight with Thanos given that he was the first to be taken out (straight up KOd - ironically by Thor - in one hit).

And that was a fat, alcoholic version of Thor. Of course he wasn't going to be the MVP again.

Thor's "arc" in EG was complete and utter BS. They spent all that time getting him to the throne and then in Ragnarok he's finally leading his own people into the cosmos. The Russo's scrap it for cheap laughs justified through some drive-by Frigga dialogue and turn the kingdom over to Valkyrie (really?). She wasn't a leader, in fact she was a quitter who quit on her own people.

That's my one issue with this genre is that anything can change in a split second from cheap dialogue. It's even harder to swallow due to his poor showing in the final EG fight. This is a freaking GOD we're talking about. But that whole end sequence turned into the Cap and Tony show.

Last edited:
Thor's "arc" in EG was complete and utter BS. They spent all that time getting him to the throne and then in Ragnarok he's finally leading his own people into the cosmos. The Russo's scrap it for cheap laughs justified through some drive-by Frigga dialogue and turn the kingdom over to Valkyrie (really?). She wasn't a leader, in fact she was a quitter who quit on her own people.

That's my one issue with this genre is that anything can change in a split second from cheap dialogue. It's hard even harder to swallow due to his poor showing in the final EG fight. This is a freaking GOD we're talking about. But that whole end sequence turned into the Cap and Tony show.

That did bug me a little bit with Valkyrie but I figured she must have demonstrated leadership qualities helping the Asgardians resettle in Tønsberg during the past 5 years while Thor was sequestered away in his useless funk. Thor can still assume the mantle of king again in the future and eventually probably should but the time is not right. Thor being unwilling to take the throne is certainly within character.

And even though he led his people in Ragnarok he admitted to Hela that he didn't want it but there was no better alternative because she was "just the worst".

That did bug me a little bit with Valkyrie but I figured she must have demonstrated leadership qualities helping the Asgardians resettle in Tønsberg during the past 5 years while Thor was sequestered away in his useless funk. Thor can still assume the mantle of king again in the future and eventually probably should but the time is not right. Thor being unwilling to take the throne is certainly within character.

And even though he led his people in Ragnarok he admitted to Hela that he didn't want it but there was no better alternative because she was "just the worst".

We already saw Thor being unwilling to take the throne when he chose Earth over it. It's like are we ever going to really see King Thor?

I'm starting to wonder if part of it is due to a screenwriting cover up for the fact that a Tonsberg-located Asgard doesn't make rich story-telling for a character like his so they need him out in the cosmos. Then again he is supposed to be a protector of all the nine realms. You'd have to wonder if the Thor/Guardians dynamic tested really high in panels they did too.

In regards to your Valkyrie comments, it just bothers me when stuff is developed off-screen especially if it's not minutia.

My favorite look for Thor is the Roadworn one from the begining of Ragnarok.
But this one in AEG is damn near perfect and without the big bely it would be my nr 1. The long hair and beard fit perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"