Deadpool 2 Tim Miller exits Deadpool 2

new report suggests Tim Miller wanted a bigger budget 3 times the original
In initial sequel talks, Reynolds, Reese and Wernick envisioned a “scrappy,” raunchy and inexpensive movie, the insider said — in the vein of the first, which earned over $780 million worldwide on a $58 million budget. It’s a stunning return on a film Reynolds lobbied 11 years to make.

Miller, known more for his visual flair than for the brash antics that Reynolds and his writers embraced and that fans loved, wanted a more stylish take, one that would compete with mega-budget superhero movies, insiders said. But it would have cost three times as much as the original $58 million film, the first individual said.

“There were two totally different movies on the table, and one of them just wasn’t ‘Deadpool,” said the first insider, who is familiar with both concepts.

Reynolds, Reese and Wernick’s vision won.

One person said Gianopulos had been a “peacekeeper” between director and star during the production on the first film. He handed the reigns to Stacey Snider on Sept. 1, who has had input on a situation largely handled by 20th Century Fox President of Production Emma Watts.

Another party close to Fox said executives did not have to step in to manage relationships until well after the first film’s release.

Miller pivoted immediately to another priority Fox project, an adaptation of Daniel Suarez’s cyber-crime thriller “Influx.”

Representatives for Miller did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment, nor did reps for Reese or Wernick. A Reynolds spokesperson and 20th Century Fox declined to comment on the matter.
http://www.thewrap.com/inside-the-deadpool-2-fight-over-two-totally-different-movies/

I don't mind a smaller Movie that doesn't require a big budget. But with Miller at the helm, I would have loved to see what he could have done with three times the budget of the original Movie.

Weintraub of Collider and Bumbray of Joblo says it's not about the budget and that it was Ryan who wanted the bigger budget for the film and it was Miller who wanted it smaller. Either way there was some serious clashing it seems about the direction of the sequel.

The stylized aspect of Deadpool was my favorite part of the film. Raunchy humor is fun but it doesn't usually hold up in turns of replay ability.

#SaveTimMiller

TWEETS
I'm not going to say much about the Deadpool 2 drama but Miller did not want a sequel that would cost 3 times as much. That's ********.
@colliderfrosty

I heard the opposite - that he wanted to do it on the same scale with as much freedom but RR wanted it bigger.
@cbumbray

Miller is such a cutie pie. Why would anyone want to hurt him?

I wonder why Reese and Wernick didn't side with Miller. Didn't they also prefer a budget that isn't that much bigger from the first one? Have we actually heard anything from them yet?

Man the pr machines are out to make Miller look bad.

Yup. Of course they are gonna do everything to make HIM look bad. He's the one who's not on the movie anymore.

I wonder why Reese and Wernick didn't side with Miller. Didn't they also prefer a budget that isn't that much bigger from the first one? Have we actually heard anything from them yet?

We don't really know what's what yet, as there are conflicting reports, and the one who really seems to know what went down doesn't really come (Steven Weintraub from Collider) forward with it (and he probably has his good reasons for not going into details). But to me it seems like Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are pretty close friends with Ryan Reynolds (he's also currently working on another movie which was written by them), so I can see why they didn't side with Miller.

And if you think about it, Reynolds did record his audio commentary with the writers, while Miller recorded his with Rob Liefeld. And I've always found it pretty curious that Tim Miller was barely present during the pre-release press interviews (but maybe I'm looking too much into it).

Last edited:
Writers are treated like the lowest form of scum in Hollywood. They aren't going to quit a lucrative job just because the director did. And I don't blame them one bit.

Writers are treated like the lowest form of scum in Hollywood. They aren't going to quit a lucrative job just because the director did. And I don't blame them one bit.

And also this, of course.

And Reynolds did pay Reese's and Wernick's salary for the last Movie out of his pocket. So I guess there's obviously loyalty here.

Will the Deadpool sequel be able to avoid the "bigger and better" trap that so many other sequels were ensnared in? "I don't think bigger is better," Miller said. "You tell a story that's organic to the character. Deadpool's world doesn't mean you have to go bigger. I don't think the fans of the movie like it because we had big effects." He thinks fans embraced Deadpool because "it had a lot of heart" and "had a lot of humor," as well as action and "a main character that's different than anything else that was out there." For him, going bigger with Deadpool "wouldn't be honest to who he is and why people like him."

Uh... this is what Miller said a few months ago in an interview. So, either he's changed his mind since then, or he's got a split personality.

And Reynolds did pay Reese's and Wernick's salary for the last Movie out of his pocket. So I guess there's obviously loyalty here.

He did not pay their salary for the last movie out of his pocket. He paid for them to be on set out of his pocket, which is different.

Uh... this is what Miller said just a few months ago in an interview. So, either he's changed his mind since then, or he's got a split personality.

Well, Steven Weintraub seems pretty sure that it's not about him wanting a bigger budget.

new report suggests Tim Miller wanted a bigger budget 3 times the original

http://www.thewrap.com/inside-the-deadpool-2-fight-over-two-totally-different-movies/

I felt ambivalent fully crediting the previous El Mayimbe article. I'm glad this one got posted so I can call complete crap on this. Everything Miller has said is that he didn't want the bigger budget that would dramatically change the movie. I certainly don't think he'd want to go from 60 million to 180 million.

I felt ambivalent fully crediting the previous El Mayimbe article. I'm glad this one got posted so I can call complete crap on this. Everything Miller has said is that he didn't want the bigger budget that would dramatically change the movie. I certainly don't think he'd want to go from 60 million to 180 million.

El Mayimbe does have some good scoops sometimes (i.e. Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker, Deahtstroke being the 'Batman' villain), but this latest article seems unlikely.

And Collider's Steven Weintraub already called BS, and he sounds like he knows what went on behind the scenes.

BTW, this tweet caught my attention a couple of days ago, but the guy never talked any further about it.

2l8f8t2.png

Last edited:
Per usual, the truth will surface once the dust settles. Eh Maybe has been right once in a blue moon, but I honestly think I could make up scoops on my own and be almost as accurate as him in the long run.

I'd be very curious to see what the actual creative differences were. This looked like everyone's golden ticket, so the rift between Reynolds and Miller must have been quite severe.

I just hope Ryan Reynolds and Co. know EXACTLY what they're doing, and we won't be here talking about how "the sequel was okay, but could have been much better."

If true, it's sad to find out that there was already so much bts drama on the first Movie.

If true, it's sad to find out that there was already so much bts drama on the first Movie.

Not really. Because it seems like Miller's and Reynolds' different views led to a great movie. And one thing I love the most about it, is how the movie really offers both slick action and pathos and insane, raunchy comedy.

I doubt it would have been as good if it was more one-sided. Creative push and pull is a good thing, and often leads to more interesting solutions.

With that push and pull now being gone, it's all on Reynolds. And what I'd like people to remember is that even on the first one a bad or average director could've taken that script and turned into a mediocre movie. Most people don't seem to get that.

Oh noez! Not $150 million!

That's on a smaller scale for CBM's and as good as the first one is, they need to expand the scope a little bit instead of carbon copying the original.

That's on a smaller scale for CBM's and as good as the first one is, they need to expand the scope a little bit instead of carbon copying the original.

I hope that the team behind Deadpool 2 understands that bringing in Cable widens the scope anyway, and also calls for a bit more pathos as he is a character with a more 'classically epic' story.

They can't just use him in a similar fashion to Colossus. He needs a bit more meat to him to really work. If they don't want to make a proper Cable & Deadpool (or Deadpool & Cable) movie, I don't think they should've included the character just yet. Those two have a real history together.

They're pretty much like Murtaugh and Riggs. You don't just leave out the more serious parts of Riggs losing his wife and being suicidal or Murtaugh's worries about his family and his old war pal's daughter, and ultimately his daughter to just skip to the laughs.

I hope their take sans Miller isn't just "let's skip to the raunchy humour."

Last edited:

Increasing the scope a little bit is fine. But I don't like the reports that say they want a Movie that can compete with the mega-budget superhero Movies. I'm not sure I want a Deadpool Movie that can compete with Civil War or Age of Apocalypse in scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"