Which Green Lantern should be used? - Part 2

You know, after all these arguments about which Lantern WB should focus on, if they do end up casting Tyrese as John Stewart, I think that would tell you how much they value that character and how much focus he'd receive. He's not exactly a great actor. Serviceable more or less.

I think they'd go for someone a lot cheaper than Tyrese if they didn't value John.

Last edited:
Does that indicate how much they value Cyborg? lol

Well lets just hope they went for Fisher because he was good, not because he was cheap..

Look at this from WB's perspective:

-They tried and failed to do a GL movie once before.
-They already face lots of doubt about their competency/ability to pull this off (and accusations of "trying to ape Marvel").
-You have a rabid fanbase who all have their favorites and are CONSTANTLY bickering/insulting each other (this very thread is proof enough of that).

So, WB probably said to themselves "if we just pick one, then all of the other fans will jump down our throats. So, lets just give everyone what they want and differentiate them in the actual film." A reasonable premise imo.

I say just make the next GL movie a semi-team flick including Hal, Guy, John and Kyle.

WB probably said to themselves "if we just pick one, then all of the other fans will jump down our throats. So, lets just give everyone what they want and differentiate them in the actual film." A reasonable premise imo.

I doubt these people truly give a damn about what the GL fanbase thinks. They want to appeal to the large casual market, not to people like us who argue which character should or should not be used. They don't care, they would make whatever choices they make and see if it makes more money this time, regardless of which characters they use. At this point in time, I have little to no faith that they know how to handle the GL property. They can have all the GLs in the movie if they will, it's not going to amount to anything if they don't treat the mythology better this time.

I think it was pretty clear that I meant in terms of how much it costs them. I haven't seen Ray Fisher in anything, so I don't speak of his talent as an actor.

:up:

This is probably the first pro John argument I've seen that dosen't rely on "I hate Hal and his movie flopped".

I wouldn't necessarily call it a pro-John argument. Like I said, I don't care who they use. I just thought the poster I responded to was being illogical.

The idea of having several lanterns in the film will be confusing for the general audience.

...what?

How can they tell the difference between Hal, John, Kyle and Guy?
John is black. Hal has brown hair. Kyle has black hair. Guy has red hair.

John is serious. Hal is cocky. Kyle is creative. Guy is a jackass.

There isn't just enough time to give all of them proper character development in a Justice League adventure.
Who said anything about introducing them all in Justice League?

I'm in the same boat. They all have their interesting and entertaining qualities that could lead to different interesting and entertaining films. I'm one of the few people who really liked the GL: Emerald Knights and would be fine watching a full film with any of those characters over any of the human ones.

Well, I dunno about that, but I can't say that I'm especially opposed to the idea. It'd definitely be unexpected.

Well, I dunno about that, but I can't say that I'm especially opposed to the idea. It'd definitely be unexpected.

Well, I'm just saying if they made an interesting story with a GL or GLs who weren't from Earth and it had nothing to do with the humans, I'd be cool with it. Highly unlikely, but would be cool to see especially if this GL Corps idea is something they're really thinking about.

I feel more or less the same way. It just wouldn't be something I'd really push for, you know what I mean?

Hal is the one I want the most

The idea of having several lanterns in the film will be confusing for the general audience. How can they tell the difference between Hal, John, Kyle and Guy? There isn't just enough time to give all of them proper character development in a Justice League adventure.

*A white, cocky pilot in a domino mask
*An even cockier womanizing red-head wearing a vest and no mask
*A black, straight-laced architect wearing no mask
*A Latino (or part Latino) artist wearing a crab mask.

You really think this will confuse people?

I feel more or less the same way. It just wouldn't be something I'd really push for, you know what I mean?

Yeah, I hear ya. I know some have said the GL concept is like the Star Wars of the DCU. I don't fully agree with that, but in concept I think it can be in terms of scope. Even only now is Star Wars really expanding it comes to the general audience and going beyond the Skywalker family and their friends. So, maybe down the line GL will expand beyond Hal, John, etc. on film.

Hal is the one I want the most

The idea of having several lanterns in the film will be confusing for the general audience. How can they tell the difference between Hal, John, Kyle and Guy? There isn't just enough time to give all of them proper character development in a Justice League adventure.

It's already been established that there are multiple Green Lanterns from the first film (The Green Lantern Corps?). To say that having several Lanterns in the film would be confusing is like saying having multiple Star Fleet officers in a Star Trek film would be the same, and we know that is not true.

Terry Crews has more charisma in his little toe then Tyrese has in his whole body.

Crews has big time charisma and screen presence. He also has the physicality. Would do well in an ensemble film!

...what?

John is black. Hal has brown hair. Kyle has black hair. Guy has red hair.

John is serious. Hal is cocky. Kyle is creative. Guy is a jackass.

Who said anything about introducing them all in Justice League?
*A white, cocky pilot in a domino mask
*An even cockier womanizing red-head wearing a vest and no mask
*A black, straight-laced architect wearing no mask
*A Latino (or part Latino) artist wearing a crab mask.

You really think this will confuse people?
It's already been established that there are multiple Green Lanterns from the first film (The Green Lantern Corps?). To say that having several Lanterns in the film would be confusing is like saying having multiple Star Fleet officers in a Star Trek film would be the same, and we know that is not true.
Not to dumb down the average person who goes to the cinema, but I've read posts from MOTU fans who claim that neither He-Man or Skeletor should have all their "core allies" because it would be too difficult for the GA/non-fans to get all the characters' names.
And if it's hard to tell Man-At-Arms apart from Tri-Klops, then imagine FOUR heroes who all wear green and goes by the same superhero alias.

I'm not speaking for myself. I just fear that people who aren't familar with the Lanterns (or DC comics, or even superheroes overall) would find the film too stuffed with the "same type of character".

Last edited:
Not to dumb the average person who goes to the cinema, but I've read posts from MOTU fans who claim that neither He-Man or Skeletor should have all their "core allies" because it would be too difficult for the GA/non-fans to get all the characters' names.
And if it's hard to tell Man-At-Arms apart from Tri-Klops, then imagine FOUR heroes who all wear green and goes by the same superhero alias.

I'm not speaking for myself. I just fear that people who aren't familar with the Lanterns (or DC comics, or even superheroes overall) would find the film too stuffed with the "same type of character".

That's just a concern that really has no factual basis. The truth of the matter is that there are many films that have introduced all of the character to audiences and they haven't been confused by it. You can look at modern day classics like the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings franchises, not to mention Star Trek and Star Wars, and see that there clearly no confusion.

Not to dumb down the average person who goes to the cinema, but I've read posts from MOTU fans who claim that neither He-Man or Skeletor should have all their "core allies" because it would be too difficult for the GA/non-fans to get all the characters' names.

One of the basic rules for any adaptation is to never diminish the mythos for the uninitiated. There are cases in movies that encompass everything from Frank Miller's 300 to Twilight, where large amounts of characters are introduced in a short amount of time. Movies that worry too much about marginal fans will surely remove essential parts of the story.

Green Lantern, at least when introduced in 1959, has always been a massive story. The word "corps", by standard definition, means an organized body of (usually military) members. Viewers should understand that in advance.

Star Wars does just fine. And not only are there a billion different characters, but most of their names are made-up gibberish. I think Hal, Guy, John, and Kyle would be easy enough to differentiate.

Every great GL story features Hal or Kyle as the lead, that is undeniable. The entire ****ing canon revolves around Hal's existence

John can be left out of the entire GL mythology and there would be little impact

If they want diversity AND a character that brings great stories to the table, then they should go with Kyle Rayner (who is Mexican American)

it was basically confirmed by everyone who went to SDCC that Hal will be used . John may appear in the GLC movie but Hal will be in Justice League.

Answer: All of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"