First Avenger Why Does Everyone Want a Body-Building Captain America?

How about the actor that played Harvey Dent in Dark Knight? Just a quick thought, maybe he could add the bulk. I'm not sure about his actual height.

I would love Eckhart in the role but I'm worried that he's too old. He's 40 or so now and will be even older when the film finally start filming.

Yeah, but you gotta keep it relatively young. Doesn't have to be in his 20's, but when you start bringing in guys in their late 30's/early40's it starts to become a bit of a stretch. Worked for Iron man cuz, lets face it, Stark just uses a suit of armor. I've always wondered why Stark wasn't a fat ass or something in the comics considering he doesn't necessarily need to be all that fit. Cap on the other hand? Different animal.

You guys need to get over the obsession with the perfect comic book physiques. Few in real life have them. It's pretty simple. Get a good actor in reasonable shape who has a decent build and he can work out a lot for the role. Anything else can be filled out for the costume.

You don't hire a bodybuilder, wrestler, or American Gladiator to play Captain America. I'm sorry.

Also, Hugh Jackman is not huge year round as Wolverine.

Robert Downey Jr. did it....why cant he?

First off, Stark is supposed to be an older superhero, right? Captain America's saga begins with him as a college-age guy who tries to enlist in the military. Eckhart is probably too old to portray an 18-22 year old. I think he could've done it about a decade ago, though.

You guys need to get over the obsession with the perfect comic book physiques. Few in real life have them. It's pretty simple. Get a good actor in reasonable shape who has a decent build and he can work out a lot for the role. Anything else can be filled out for the costume.

QFT. The same goes for the guys who complain about actors' chins, noses, etc. I've always seen comics as providing a general, not literal, guide as to how a character should look. We don't need a perfect comic match for Cap, just someone who can convincingly portray him onscreen.

You don't hire a bodybuilder, wrestler, or American Gladiator to play Captain America. I'm sorry.

Also, Hugh Jackman is not huge year round as Wolverine.

Yeah, I agree. I think some people are getting too obsessed with the whole size thing; It's hard enough to find a decent enough actor who fits the bill facially without then adding a further casting hurdle to get over by placing more physical requirements on them.

It's time to get real.

If it became a trade off in order to get the right actor - I'd take smaller quality muscle before mass any day of the week.

Cap is, after all, at the peak of human fitness; nothing really about that says that the more muscle-mass a person has - the fitter they are.

Robert Downey Jr. did it....why cant he?

RDJ was playing a businessman who spent most action scenes in a suit of armor which could be replaced with CGI, animatronic or stuntman. Not a super-soldier who kills people with his bare hands.

I agree about the physique thing 100%. All I ask is that who ever plays Cap is in tremendous shape. As far as the age thing goes I don't want a young 20something. I know his origin story dictates that he's at college age when he becomes Cap and his movie will center around his WWII exploits. The thing for me is any comics I ever read with him in it I saw him as a man in the present time and that's what I know. I really don't want a an "OC/WB" type in the role of Steve Rogers.

lazy, perhaps in terms of acting focus... but have you seen the guy's physique??? He is clearly not lazy...

Agreed thats like saying Sean Penn is always Spacoli! MM is more than just a stoner dude! Watch we are Marshal or A time to kill! his speach to Bale during the celebration in Reign of Fire was pure Cap! granted he has been lazy lately with his choice of roles and he knows it! But he does have potential! His work out regime is insane!!! If he puts the same kinda commitment toward this role as he does his body there would be no stopping him!! I would compare him to Ben Affleck before he did HollywoodLand! if you haven't seen this you should it shows that if an actor is really motivated and takes the role seriously he can change public opinion. One role should not define an actors career!! BTW Affleck should have at least been nominated for Hollywoodland! If you want to see how MM could be Cap watch LoneStar!

Yeah, saw that movie. Sheriff of a small Texas town who just so happened to had been the creepy older guy from Dazed and Confused who digs on high school chicks. :)

The difference between Penn as Spicoli and Mcconaughey as Sheriff Deeds, or Jake in A time to Kill or even Vilmer in Texas Chainsaw Massacre, is that Penn is a great actor, and Mcconaughey is at best, a decent one.

Last edited:
Let it go, man.

This McConaughey hate of yours will tear you up inside.

:D

Yeah, saw that movie. Sheriff of a small Texas town who just so happened to had been the creepy older guy from Dazed and Confused who digs on high school chicks. :)

The difference between Penn as Spicoli and Mcconaughey as Sheriff Deeds, or Jake in A time to Kill or even Vilmer in Texas Chainsaw Massacre, is that Penn is a great actor, and Mcconaughey is at best, a decent one.

Dude what is with all the hate? Did he steal your Bong water or something? I thought stoners were supposed to be mellow? Anubis I have a feeling you should change it to Adubis! Seriously you are missing my point entirely! MM like Ben Affleck could just be waiting for the right role!
Affleck was in the same position as MM before he did Hollywoodland! MM could still surprise you! So until you stop taking so many hits off that thing I just can't take you seriously.

Hehe - snuck that edit in there after I replied to the post, eh? ;)

At least you've finally conceded that MM's a decent actor - all he could need is that one standout role that could elevate him and his game;

Cap could be that role.

I saw MM in one of Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequels. It's amazing how his performance hasn't changed much.

Dude what is with all the hate? Did he steal your Bong water or something? I thought stoners were supposed to be mellow? Anubis I have a feeling you should change it to Adubis! Seriously you are missing my point entirely! MM like Ben Affleck could just be waiting for the right role!
Affleck was in the same position as MM before he did Hollywoodland! MM could still surprise you! So until you stop taking so many hits off that thing I just can't take you seriously.

Adubis? Try again. I'm sure you could do better than that.

QFT. The same goes for the guys who complain about actors' chins, noses, etc. I've always seen comics as providing a general, not literal, guide as to how a character should look. We don't need a perfect comic match for Cap, just someone who can convincingly portray him onscreen.

I agree...but with some characters, things like noses and chins matter. I am really SUPER picky about how Superman looks, because he doesn't wear a mask and his whole identity is based on his looks as both Superman and Clark.

As far as Cap goes. I think that a general look needs to be adhered to. MMs nose bothers me, but not enough to disqualify him as Cap, same as the actor from Crusoe. My problem is that his features make him look very British and that to me (IMO) pulls me away from the reality of him being American (even though he is)

As for size, I have NO PROBLEM with the actor wearing a muscle suit (like Hellboy) Done right, a muscle suit might be the way to get a Great Actor to look more like Cap (in a relatively short time period) and still be able to portray a sickly Steve Rogers (PRE SSS)

Rage

Sorry Rage, but you've got me intrigued - how does a person 'look' British?

Its a generality. Not all citzens in the UK look "British"... but there are certain characteristics that can make a person look like they are from specific regions. It may be hard to pinpoint. He reminds me of Sean Bean. I think its his hard shaped nose and the height of his cheekbones. He has a very anglo saxon, western European look to him.

For example...
Lynchnikoff.JPG

You can't tell me this guy doesn't look Russian...why does he look Russian? Can you put your finger on it? There is something there (maybe you can't put your finger on it, but its there) that tells you he's eastern European.

Maybe its my artistic eye, but it is something that I pick out.

Rage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"