Would You Rather Sony Lose The Rights To Spider-Man Or Keep Them?

To me, its just the unwillingness and resistance to support or give the benefit of the doubt, the studio with a better track record that baffles me the most. Sony and 20th Century foX had so many strikes in terms of failures whether its boX office, critical reception, depiction of comic book characters.

"Mcu might be the biggest thing in the world, but I still prefer Spider-Man to remain the rights to the studio that gave me TASM2, Venom, SM3, Ghost Rider, etc. because reasons".

Who knows what would have happened if Marvel Studios didn't partner up with Sony after TASM2. I'm not eXactly a huge fan of Mcu Spider-Man, MJ, Ned, Hot May and the constant appearances of other MCU characters in the solo Spider-Man movies. But Spider-Man in the movies would have been disastrous if they have moved on from TASM3/Sinister siX spin off in 2016.

I voted to Sony keep the rights the way they are now partnering with Marvel if it were them doing movies without Marvels input id say lose them

Morbious and Kraven movies are DOA

Sony has done a great job in the trilogy from 02-07! I loved the Marc Webb films 12-14! The venom film and The recent Spiderman films have been spectacular! They won an Oscar for spider-verse! And they possibly brought back Tobey and Andrew for no way home! And they are giving us a sinister six-film? Keep the rights, Sony!

To me, its just the unwillingness and resistance to support or give the benefit of the doubt, the studio with a better track record that baffles me the most. Sony and 20th Century foX had so many strikes in terms of failures whether its boX office, critical reception, depiction of comic book characters.

"Mcu might be the biggest thing in the world, but I still prefer Spider-Man to remain the rights to the studio that gave me TASM2, Venom, SM3, Ghost Rider, etc. because reasons".

Who knows what would have happened if Marvel Studios didn't partner up with Sony after TASM2. I'm not eXactly a huge fan of Mcu Spider-Man, MJ, Ned, Hot May and the constant appearances of other MCU characters in the solo Spider-Man movies. But Spider-Man in the movies would have been disastrous if they have moved on from TASM3/Sinister siX spin off in 2016.

That same studio also made the 2 best Spider-Man movies ever (SM2 and Into the Spiderverse). While certainly more hit and miss, Marvel's efforts with Spider-Man have also not eclipsed Sony's best work with him. So I can easily see why that would be a preference for some

Fair enough. We have a difference in philoshpy on that.
Batman , Spiderman, and Superman have all been rebooted several times, so I'm not totally on board with one continuity of Spiderman going on and on and on.

Eventually I'd like to see a new version, but as I stated that's after Holland is done.

I wouldn't want to see his version recast and to just go on and on with a different actor in the same continuity. Not saying you do, but I like the fact that different filmmakers tackle these characters over time.

I wouldn't want a single version of Spiderman to last 15 years because it would get stagnate imo.
that's a negative thing in my book. my whole thing is, I don't want to constantly see the face of the live action versions of these superheroes constantly changing. I bet during phase 1 or 2 of the MCU, Disney might have been thinking that if something goes wrong with the actors or if the actors just get too old, they'll just recast them in future phases. But they did neither with Tony Stark. RDJ played the character for over a decade and that's one of the reasons why the character is so beloved and why the MCU is so successful. They retired the character by tastefully killing him off.

A reboot should only be done if it is necessary, in my opinion. Only if what came before it needed to be rebooted. In the case of Batman, in the 2010s the Nolan trilogy back then and even now is generally regarded to be a great comic book movie series. But instead of keeping the series canon, WB decided to reboot and recast Bruce Wayne, when an already popular incarnation of the character existed. For that reason I think casting Ben Affleck or any other actor for that matter was a terrible mistake.

Imagine if Disney recast RDJ in IM3 or Av2. Yes I understand he's portraying the same incarnation of the character throughout but 1) that hasn't stopped recasts in the MCU and 2) either way for whatever reason if they recast RDJ I guarantee the character would not have been as well received. Keeping Bale as Batman in BvS might have made the Nolan series canon but that to me is a better idea than rebooting Batman. Again, that should only be done if the character needed to be significantly improved upon.

And in the case of Spider-Man, I wouldn't say Andrew Garfield's portrayal or series significantly improved upon the original trilogy.

Yeah tenure means a lot with these iconic characters. I’m ok with recasts when it is necessary and handled well.

I can definitely see an argument against rebooting/recasting Batman after a successful and well-liked version like the Nolan/Bale take but for myself Bale was never in the same league as RDJ’s Iron Man in terms of feeling definitive and irreplaceable, and while I adore the movies he was in(at least the first two) I always felt a new actor and a new reboot version of the character could improve upon what he did pretty easily. In fact, despite being in better movies, I still rank Bale second after Keaton. So rebooting Batman after Bale has left the role doesn’t feel nearly as herculean a task as, say, rebooting/recasting Iron Man after Downey calls it quits. At least to me, anyway.

Last edited:
Give Bale a voice modulator and a better suit and he would be viewed like RDJ as IM.

I'm not too sure of that. BB and TDK are two of my all time favorite SH movies and I think a case can be made for BB being the best SH origin story. That being said, RDJ just has the charisma thing going in spades. He had it when he was younger (Chances Are) and never lost it. He's just one of those guys who commands the screen when he's on it and it didn't matter whether it was Sherlock, Doolittle, or MCU. There just haven't been many like him.

I can definitely see an argument against rebooting/recasting Batman after a successful and well-liked version like the Nolan/Bale take but for myself Bale was never in the same league as RDJ’s Iron Man in terms of feeling definitive and irreplaceable, and while I adore the movies he was in(at least the first two) I always felt a new actor and a new reboot version of the character could improve upon what he did pretty easily. In fact, despite being in better movies, I still rank Bale second after Keaton. So rebooting Batman after Bale has left the role doesn’t feel nearly as herculean a task as, say, rebooting/recasting Iron Man after Downey calls it quits. At least to me, anyway.
there is more to the Nolan Batman series other than Christian Bale himself, although of course he is the most important person there. Perhaps Keaton was better in the role but he was too old for what WB was going for with their retelling of Batman. And honestly if Bale had returned to the role for more movies/appearances, I really think audiences would feel that he'd be definitive and irreplaceable the same way RDJ was.

Give Bale a voice modulator and a better suit and he would be viewed like RDJ as IM.
Even if you gave Bale's Batman a voice modulator and a bulkier suit like Affleck, the difference there is that RDJ is the only actor to have portrayed Tony Stark on film. Bale at the time was the fifth actor to play Batman in a movie. There may never be an actor that is generally agreed to be "the perfect Batman" because there are Keaton fans, Bale fans, and Affleck fans alike. And to tie it into the topic of this thread, the same goes for Spider-Man. Even though there have only been three actors who have played him in films, there's usually a split decision among audiences as to who they think is the best one to have played the character.

Lose them. Sony didn’t make the first two Spider-Man films good raimi did. Sony animation did the miles movie. A different beast and more control. The asm franchise felt so rushed and corporate. It was terrible. Also Sony listens to much to avi arad who almost ran the franchise into the ground. 2011-2014 were dark times for Spider-Man
Crap games
Crap tv shows
Horrible movies.

but don’t get me wrong I’m not fond of the mcu approach either. They were heading in the right direction with civil war but now… yea. I think honestly fiege doesn’t have as much control as we think. I feel like if he had more control we’d see a more traditional Peter Parker. Just me tho .

So I guess I’m in that grey area but leaning towards Sony losing cause Sony has terrible producers running the show.

Last edited:
Sure there's room for improvement on many aspects, mainly in action, team dynamic and source material fidelity, but the core thing that made those movies stand out from the rest of the superhero films at the time, for me, was the character drama and emotional connection, something I find the MCU severely lacking in general. Again, a matter of personal preference.
Really cause I felt like those movies you mentioned has no team dynamic whatsoever. Dofp was pretty much wolverine and mystique the movie with very little xmen sprinkled in. The avengers act as a team and get a lot of time to shine. I always felt the xmen movies lacked making the mutants special unless it was wolverine

Days of Future past had some team moments, yet they were all pretty much in future scenes, hence why I said myself they needed work on that aspect. But if you thought the film was just about Wolverine and Mystique you must have missed the part where Xavier is clearly the star of the movie. The whole narrative revolves around his personal journey. Not that I supported the fact that the series was always about four-five characters, but to give credit where credit is due, they did an excellent job on those few.

Yeah well the last several X-Men movies have been about the Professor, Magneto, Mystique and the Wolverine. Deadpool is fifth we count his movies. Jean Grey has been doing nothing since X3 but tied herself to either a. The Wolverine or b. The PhoeniX Force.

Days of Future past had some team moments, yet they were all pretty much in future scenes, hence why I said myself they needed work on that aspect. But if you thought the film was just about Wolverine and Mystique you must have missed the part where Xavier is clearly the star of the movie. The whole narrative revolves around his personal journey. Not that I supported the fact that the series was always about four-five characters, but to give credit where credit is due, they did an excellent job on those few.
I didn’t miss that part. We already had an Xavier movie. First class. I still think it was not an ideal xmen movie. I don’t see Xavier as part of the xmen just the man who founded the school. I definitely don’t see mystique as an xmen so it was really just wolverine with xmen sprinkled throughout. Which I found disappointing. Glad the mcu got the rights back

I love Into the Spider-verse but I'd rather they lose them.

When it comes to Spidey appearing in the MCU, Sony plays too much.

There's always the constant threat of Sony yanking Spider-man out of the MCU.

What I dislike the most about the current Sony Marvel movies is they already featured Michael Keaton as Vulture in Morbius, and who knows if Tom Holland is absorbed into that universe. So by default, MCU and Sony Spider-Man Universe are connected and its all because of Sony not Disney.:dry:

I have to wonder if some of it is a desire to see Spider-man/the X-Men as the center of narrative existence. That is to say, people would rather have a Spider-man ( or X-Men ) movie where the titular hero is the be-all-end-all of existence, than a movie that is actually good. Being part of the MCU means, no matter how good your movie, you still have to share the stage and the limelight with other movies and other heroes who are just as important, if not moreso, than you.

I'm sure some wanted the Mutants to stay with the old foX due to movies in development during that time. Even if The New Mutants and Dark PhoeniX flopped and doesn't get a follow up. FoX would have moved on to Deadpool 3, X-Force, a Kitty Pryde movie, Laura and maybe Gambit and Doom. They would have also used Deadpool to crossover with the X-Men to revive interest for another X-Men movie.

In hindsight, I wish this buyout happened in 2013 or 2012. Days of Future Past would still have been released in 2014 and would have been fitting as the final film in the series. Deadpool 1 could be easily tweaked as a Mcu film. No Fant4stic, Dark PhoeniX, Logan, Deadpool 2, Apocalypse and The New Mutants.

In hindsight, I wish this buyout happened in 2013 or 2012. Days of Future Past would still have been released in 2014 and would have been fitting as the final film in the series. Deadpool 1 could be easily tweaked as a Mcu film. No Fant4stic, Dark PhoeniX, Logan, Deadpool 2, Apocalypse and The New Mutants.
See, those movies I bolded are movies I think most here wouldn’t want not to exist. If Disney had bought Fox four years earlier than they ultimately would buy it then forget about just the sequel never happening, the first DP never gets off the ground, and even if it did, it would take much longer to happen(it definitely would not come out in 2016) and it wouldn’t be R-rated.

In retrospect, I have to wonder if Disney did buy Fox back in 2014 after DOFP just how different the reactions would be to the Mutants joining the MCU then would be compared to the reactions when they ultimately joined it after fans were soured by Apocalypse.

I remember there was a thread years five years ago pre-Fox merger that was created as fate would have it before Apocalypse opened asking posters if they would the X-Men to join the MCU and most posters coming off the good will DOFP left were pretty much against the idea.

Well for me, Logan wasted Dofp's happy ending. It literally killed everyone eXcept Laura and her friends. While Deadpool 2 would have made if Deadpool 1 was tweaked as a mcu film, IF the buyout occurred in 2013 or 2014.

As for your other comment regarding DOFP... i literally said in Hindsight. Fans like me in 2013 to 2014 were hoping it would continue the film series with another OT cast led film - not Apocalypse led by McAvoy and company and Logan literally killing everybody on or off screen.

that's a negative thing in my book. my whole thing is, I don't want to constantly see the face of the live action versions of these superheroes constantly changing. I bet during phase 1 or 2 of the MCU, Disney might have been thinking that if something goes wrong with the actors or if the actors just get too old, they'll just recast them in future phases. But they did neither with Tony Stark. RDJ played the character for over a decade and that's one of the reasons why the character is so beloved and why the MCU is so successful. They retired the character by tastefully killing him off.

A reboot should only be done if it is necessary, in my opinion. Only if what came before it needed to be rebooted. In the case of Batman, in the 2010s the Nolan trilogy back then and even now is generally regarded to be a great comic book movie series. But instead of keeping the series canon, WB decided to reboot and recast Bruce Wayne, when an already popular incarnation of the character existed. For that reason I think casting Ben Affleck or any other actor for that matter was a terrible mistake.

Imagine if Disney recast RDJ in IM3 or Av2. Yes I understand he's portraying the same incarnation of the character throughout but 1) that hasn't stopped recasts in the MCU and 2) either way for whatever reason if they recast RDJ I guarantee the character would not have been as well received. Keeping Bale as Batman in BvS might have made the Nolan series canon but that to me is a better idea than rebooting Batman. Again, that should only be done if the character needed to be significantly improved upon.

And in the case of Spider-Man, I wouldn't say Andrew Garfield's portrayal or series significantly improved upon the original trilogy.

The thing is , there always going to change no matter what.
There's always going to be a new actor playing Clark, Bruce, Peter, Sherlock, etc.
Over different years and generations the role is passed on to someone else.

The same way Kirk Alyn didn't play Superman forever, Adam West didn't play Batman forever, and Chris Evans wasn't the first actor to play Captain America, he was the 4th, behind An actor who played him in the 40s, an actor who played him in the 70s, and an actor who played him in the 90s.
eb1617a4-f55d-4f39-b133-a6957b836c7a-captain-america-gun.jpg

captain-america-ii-death-too-soon-lg.jpg

a1tNE5nsAMIMpBs0yrweIdzXymO.jpg

chris-evans-captain-america-1200.jpg

These roles change hands over time. They get rebooted.

That's how it's always been and that's how it always will be with alot of these iconic characters.

I don't see that as a negative at all in principle at least.

The question for me is really, when and how it's done, and whether the product is good.

While I agree you shouldn't reboot every time there's a stumble, you shouldn't also stay with weak or bad interpretation for the sake of continuity. If the stories in that continuity have run their course or have just gotten bad, you've got to move on and let someone else run with the ball for the sake of the character if anything else.

Now the frequency of reboots is another issue, i.e rebooting after 2 years or 3 years. That's where things get iffy and problematic.

But the idea that there would be a different actor ,with a different continuity playing Bruce Wayne, in a decade or a couple of decades after a prior actor is inevitable.

The torch is gonna be passed , and Holland isn't gonna play the role forever, and that version of Peter Parker isn't gonna go on forever.

Eventually, they'll be a new Peter Parker who hasn't fought in the Infinity Conflict, and who won't have a best friend named Ned. When that will be , I don't know. But it's gonna happen.

There's a child out there as we speak, watching these films ,who's gonna grow up and end up directing his or her own version and vision of the Peter Parker story, and that's how its supposed to be.

The story is passed on, reinterpreted , etc, and another group will put their own spin on Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Sherlock etc.

I accept that different artists, creators, directors, actors, etc are going to take on these characters and want to tell different stories in different continuities for different generations.

This is a creative medium being adapted by a creative industry , so things are going to change depending on which group is handling a given property.

Now of course they have to be good. I wouldn't want to see mediocrity on and on when these stories are rebooted.

But in terms of the principle of having different versions of these characters, I'm very much for, and we may disagree on that. That's fine.

Now of course, Marvel is gonna do what Marvel is gonna do in terms of their own strategy, and they've done well with their own strategy.

They've clearly done their own thing which is great, and they excelled at it.
That doesn't mean I want everyone to do what Marvel does, since I don't .

But I certainly want studios to strive for the same respect for the characters, high quality of films, and good collection of actors that the MCU has.

Last edited:
Keep them. We probably wouldn't get a third insomniac game and possible spin-offs if Disney got the rights and we already have Spidey in the MCU

Keep them. We probably wouldn't get a third insomniac game and possible spin-offs if Disney got the rights and we already have Spidey in the MCU
That isn't true. Even if Disney have the rights for Spider-Man, that doesn't mean Sony wouldn't want to make Spider-Man games which are console sellers to them. Disney could easily go to other game studios if they want to, which they are already doing with Lucasfilm and Marvel.

Sony is making a Wolverine game and they don't even have film rights for The Wolverine.

The only thing that people are going to miss out on are Into the Spider-Verse movies and seriously how many follow ups can they do for that? Into the Spider-Verse didn't even gross over 400 million pre pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"