X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

Welp, it's another Monday.

Two more days to brace ourselves for the next episode.
View attachment 87496
055c2d42ade979d4f62d9448aa548092099c667d.jpg

Finally got around to watching this episode and wow, absolutely gut-wrenching. I share some sentiments that
Gambit still had lots of story left on the table.... but isn't that true of real life tragedies? That's the cruel truth of tragedy... the victims don't get to have their story end the way it should.
Yeah and that’s the problem for me.

I don’t really care for comics teaching me a lesson about how crappy the real world is and how final death is. I’m well aware. Genosha being massacred is enough of a reminder. Killing off favourite characters for the sake of drama is lame.

Fantastic episode, after the (to me) slight let down of ep4.

Ignoring a very few actions I personally didn't like, this was a killer episode.

Very conflicted if I would want this permanent (emotions hit harder) or not.

Im not sure Im ready for more emotional trauma, still dont have the strength to re-watch last weeks episode yet, its far, far too soon. Nice episode this week where they all sit around and drink tea please.

I just recently finished the episode and it was a roller coaster of emotions lol

Im still in shock how much they can do in 30 min episodes. All the X-Men episodes have not wasted any minute haha and have been entertaining. I can't wait to see Rogue get revenge and also for the upcoming Storm episodes. Im not particularly upset about losing some characters (Magneto is actually my favorite character) for the rest of the season. I don't know if they have plans to undo the massacre with time travel or keep it canon in this universe but I trust they will eventually do every character justice with more seasons and stories. Marvel Universe is full of different universes and stories where they could easily bring them back.

Last edited:
TAG YOUR SPOILERS! For movies in general we keep it at a 2 week time frame for spoilers and that's essentially the standard. I already gave you 1 point for doing it another day. I will not provide another warning.

This applies to everyone as well....TAG SPOILERS! It's not just common courtesy, it's a rule. If this becomes a major issue, I will start handing out mandatory vacations.

Firstly I had no notification or communication from you about any spoiler before the above. Secondly, I didn't know about the 2 week time frame rule. I thought once an episode had aired then it could be freely discussed. Now that I know about the 2 week rule, I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Firstly I had no notification or communication from you about any spoiler before the above. Secondly, I didn't know about the 2 week time frame rule. I thought once an episode had aired then it could be freely discussed. Now that I know about the 2 week rule, I'll keep it in mind for the future.
There should have been a notification sent to you cause I awarded you a warning point. If you didn't receive that, I will submit feedback to see why you didn't. But I did tag a previous post you made and awarded a point. But in general you have been posting here a while going by your join date, it spoiler tagging isn't new to the site.

There should have been a notification sent to you cause I awarded you a warning point. If you didn't receive that, I will submit feedback to see why you didn't. But I did tag a previous post you made and awarded a point. But in general you have been posting here a while going by your join date, it spoiler tagging isn't new to the site.
I didn't get any notification. I hadn't posted on here in ages before the last few days. I may have joined back in 2009 but you can see by my post count that I am not a regular poster.

I didn't get any notification. I hadn't posted on here in ages before the last few days. I may have joined back in 2009 but you can see by my post count that I am not a regular poster.
I dont want to derail the thread further, so this will be last post I make here. You can send me a PM in the Conversation section if you want to continue, but even if you have not posted in a whole, you are reading new posts. Several you quoted had tagged spoilers. So the fact that almost everyone else is using them should be a good indicator that you should be as well. So it's not a valid excuse either. Untagged spoilers isn't a violation I have much sympathy for. You had several clues that you should be doing so even if you didn't read the rules page carefully or haven't been here a while. Which again, that applies to everyone. Untagged spoilers isn't one I am going to be terribly sympathetic towards

I just think it's a cop out for the writers to insert the Magneto/Rogue relationship (that didn't exist in the original animated series) purely to create a love triangle situation just to then kill Gambit off without it being resolved between him an Rogue. It makes Rogue look bad. She was my favourite character in the original animated series, she's not in this one.

Been catching up to this show since folks have been raving about the recent episode and it's been utterly fantastic. I'm surprised we've gotten something of this high quality considering the MCU's recent subpar output.

In regards to what unfolded in episode 5 and what will follow, and taking into account what the showrunners have said about it, my thoughts are basically this:

The Genosha genocide is still to this day an important event in the comics which has understandably not been undone, and I highly doubt they'll change things up here. In regards to Cable showing up, that was most likely meant to signify his futility in adverting the massacre and saving his mother, rather than foreshadowing anything regarding time travel related.

Gambit's a goner. He will not be brought back and that's the last we'll see of his character, though I suppose you can theorize that he could be resurrected as Death by Apocalypse sometime in the future like in the comics, which would certainly make for great angst with Rogue, but as of now I don't think they'll head in this direction. I do very much appreciate that Xavier's line to Remy on his death bed has been made more poignant now due to Gambit's sacrifice.

Magneto, on the other hand, is 50/50 for me right now. We know Leech's abilities can downplay other's so there's a sliver of chance that Erik could have survived, so it's just a matter of wait and see for the rest of the season.

Truth be told, I also wasn't much of a fan of the love triangle, but what's done is done.

I wonder if that giant bird monster that kidnapped Storm is going to be something to do with Shadow King. I just got that vibe when it showed up.
It's almost certainly drawing from Fall of the Mutants. The show isn't afraid to shake things up, but it's essentially an antagonist of Forge.

It's almost certainly drawing from Fall of the Mutants. The show isn't afraid to shake things up, but it's essentially an antagonist of Forge.
Oh man if they actually go that route and kill off all of the X-Men only for season 2 to take place in Australia…

I would laugh.

Hmm I would love to see the regular line up to have Havok, Dazzler and Psylocke.

Yeah and that’s the problem for me.

I don’t really care for comics teaching me a lesson about how crappy the real world is and how final death is. I’m well aware. Genosha being massacred is enough of a reminder. Killing off favourite characters for the sake of drama is lame.
Agreed on all counts. :(

I just recently finished the episode and it was a roller coaster of emotions lol

Im still in shock how much they can do in 30 min episodes. All the X-Men episodes have not wasted any minute haha and have been entertaining. I can't wait to see Rogue get revenge and also for the upcoming Storm episodes. Im not particularly upset about losing some characters (Magneto is actually my favorite character) for the rest of the season. I don't know if they have plans to undo the massacre with time travel or keep it canon in this universe but I trust they will eventually do every character justice with more seasons and stories. Marvel Universe is full of different universes and stories where they could easily bring them back.
Magneto is my favorite character too and they definitely had a lot more story to tell with him, but honestly, I hope he stays dead. I like it when these things have consequences as opposed to Comic Book Heaven having a revolving door instead of pearly gates.

Magneto is my favorite character too and they definitely had a lot more story to tell with him, but honestly, I hope he stays dead. I like it when these things have consequences as opposed to Comic Book Heaven having a revolving door instead of pearly gates.
I agree.

I doubt...

Gambit and specially Erik will remain dead.

... but I'd like to feel more the consequences. My hope is that at least these events last a while.

And hopefully there will be more room for other mutants to be showcased.

I agree.

I doubt...

... but I'd like to feel more the consequences. My hope is that at least these events last a while.

Maggot! :D

Reactions: Lip
I agree.

I doubt...

I could see
Magneto maybe surviving and returning back to villainy because of the genocide, with Scott going down the revolutionary path after learning about Madelyne's death and potentially joining him at the end of the season.

But I feel, other than my aforementioned theory of him maybe (and that's a big maybe) returning as Death, that this is the last we've seen of Gambit. The showrunners have very much emphasized that they wanted this to feel like a tragedy and refutied the idea of bringing people back, so I highly doubt any of the deaths will be undone.

I could see
Magneto maybe surviving and returning back to villainy because of the genocide, with Scott going down the revolutionary path after learning about Madelyne's death and potentially joining him at the end of the season.

But I feel, other than my aforementioned theory of him maybe (and that's a big maybe) returning as Death, that this is the last we've seen of Gambit. The showrunners have very much emphasized that they wanted this to feel like a tragedy and refutied the idea of bringing people back, so I highly doubt any of the deaths will be undone.
It just takes so many future characters out of the running. Dazzler, Shaw, Moira, Maddie, Banshee, Callisto. Like are they just saying screw their stories no one cares? Moira is like a super villain in the comics. I just think it was ****ty of them to kill off so many big names for the sake of tragedy. Genosha is destroyed. Thousands if not millions died. We get the tragedy. They don’t need to turf fan favourites and key figures.

Last edited:
It just takes so many future characters out of the running. Dazzler, Shaw, Moira, Maddie, Banshee, Callisto. Like are they just saying screw their stories no one cares? Moira is like a super villain in the comics. I just think it was ****ty of them to kill off so many big names for the sake of tragedy. Genosha is destroyed. Thousands if not millions died. We get the tragedy. They don’t need to turf fan favourites and key figures.
The reason you're pissed is the reason it worked. If it were a bunch of unknown characters, it wouldn't have the same emotional resonance.

Of course we would feel the sad impact of the genocide. But when you deeply care and know who's there, it hits you harder.

And I wouldn't call that cheap drama. If we felt hard the way we did, they did it right.

The reason you're pissed is the reason it worked. If it were a bunch of unknown characters, it wouldn't have the same emotional resonance.

Of course we would feel the sad impact of the genocide. But when you deeply care and know who's there, it hits you harder.

And I wouldn't call that cheap drama. If we felt hard the way we did, they did it right.
No the reason I’m pissed is because Beau and others keep harping on this “the real world is tragic” trope and I don’t read comics to be reminded of that. I read comics for an escape from that. Also, X-Men and the MCU has seen its fair share of tragic deaths already (Logan comes to mind). I just don’t see it as necessary here or warranted.

Some of those characters keep getting turfed in the shows and movies and so to kill them off is lazy and uninspiring to me. I don’t want writers to kill off characters that express their desire for a happy ending. It’s a cheap trick that’s been overused. This isn’t about grief, it’s about frustration.

I know they won’t bring back Gambit. And that’s a huge mistake on their part, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Speaking of such matters...

Does anyone else get the feeling that with Magnus 'killed off', somehow Xavier will come back from the dead in the season finale? I'm 1000% sure that'll be the cliffhanger.

Okay a friend and I are watching X-Men 97 from the beginning so calm yourselves and your worshipping of the misogynist, bottom-shaming showrunner.

Speaking of such matters...

Does anyone else get the feeling that with Magnus 'killed off', somehow Xavier will come back from the dead in the season finale? I'm 1000% sure that'll be the cliffhanger.
Yeah, Xavier death is the weirdest because he didn't actually died at the end of the original. He left with Lilandra because it was his only chance to survive. I believe he will be back eventually.

Now, when it comes to undoing Gambit's death, if that happens, I hope it's something like Gamora in the MCU. They brought her back, but kept the impact of what happened, and I enjoyed how they handled it.

I'm also thinking, a.k.a hoping, the season will end introducing a new roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"