Homecoming All the technical details of this deal

To me it makes some sense since this film and the character now are a part of the mcu that the ms logo should be used. Again it's a dam kogo. It's the brand name. That the character is a part of. It's not like ms is getting money from the film as we now isn't the case. But it give sony if they can or if they are allowed. More way to brand and market the film and insure mire money gain for them. But I guess we will probably learn more stuff like this once the solo gets in production.

Putting a production company or studio logo on a movie isn't about promotion, though, which is why it's highly unlikely that MS will have their specific logo attached to this movie.

Putting a production company or studio logo on a movie isn't about promotion, though, which is why it's highly unlikely that MS will have their specific logo attached to this movie.

It will.

FWIW, although we disagree with a lot here, I do think this is correct. I think there's a huge division between the deal as it formally stands and the deal in practice, but things like credits are on the former side.

Digic again we are debating if Kevin and who else from Ms works on the solo film. If that qualifies that Ms should be credited along. And again since this a new shared deal between the two. It makes sense that they should be able to. But again yes we don't know what is what fully. All we are trying to point out there shouldn't be a reason why it isnt.

I'd say they're definitely steering the wheel. Marvel is just telling them where to go, typical back seat drivers. :whatever:

People still fail to realize that the 2017 Spider-Man movie is a SONY movie that Marvel is helping out with. They're not just going to fork up a ton of cash and let Marvel call 100% of the shots. They're going to strongly consider their suggestions considering how well the MCU is doing in comparison to Sony's previous universe. However, final creative control is what it is, and it lies in Sony's hands.
why did you take dylan o'brien out of your sig????

Its part of the MCU with Feige heavily involved, the Studio logo will definitely be on it, not only that, they will probably heavily market it as an MCU movie, with references and maybe even MCU characters splattered all over trailers and TV spots

Last edited:
And that is something that sony would be wise on promoting. So it's clear to the regular going audience. This isn't the last spiderman. And that spidey is with the mcu. Again this just helps out sony more. Who will be getting the money made off the film. And they still have there logos and all that too. It just would be another way to help market.

Sony allowing a Marvel Studios logo to be attached to this movie when they, as a corporate entity, have virtually nothing to do with it would be unprecedented, especially since there's not likely to be any quid pro quo from MS on any of their films featuring Spider-Man.

Really though digic we know this is a shared deal. Thst both are working together. Really how different is it (besides marvel not making money off the box office figures) then when studios are jointing working on a film or something along the lines of how ms was before disney buyout and paramount and universal had distribution rights and there logos where on films too. We are not saying sony name won't be on the film. It would be along with marvel studios. Ans like we are speculating on it would just give sony more hype in promotion department and helps the general movie goers know this isn't just another sony solo film. But that it's is mcu film.

The two studios are working together to share a character and a universe; they're not working together to produce the films that feature said shared character and jointly occupy said universe, which is why it's highly unlikely that their respective logos will appear on each other's films.

I was asked to drop this argument, though, so this is my final word on the subject.

^seeing as how spiderman is still sony's cinematic property, I definitely think they'll be name dropped in every set of credits in a film which feature him.

and right now, that means cap3, av3 part 1, and 2.

I am bumping this thread because of all the new stuff Kevin Feige has said recently. First off, if someone could kindly post it all because I'm behind on it and secondly - I read that kingpin won't be in the reboot - does that mean sony indeed does not have the power to use marvel characters?

Bringing these comments over from the General thread:
Without starting an argument, I'd like to bring up the Forgotten Realms universe as an example of what i believe Feige's use of the phrase "Sony Universe" more than likely means.

For anyone who isn't familiar with it, the Forgotten Realms is a shared universe subsetting within the Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying franchise. In addition to comprising sourcebooks and other roleplaying matetials, the Forgotten Realms subsetting has been adapted into other various forms of media, with the largest chunk of that adaptation coming in the form of various novels written by a variety of disparate authors and featuring a wide variety of different characters, many of whom are under the propriety comtrol of a specific author and/associated with a particular location or geographic region, and it is not uncommon for a particular author or authors to be referred to as having their own "universe" within the wider Forgotten Realms subsetting, which is exactly the kind of scenario I believe Feige was referring to through his use of the phrase "Sony Universe".

To answer harryoscop's question about Marvel Studios and Sony sharing or not sharing characters beyond Spider-Man himself, I get the sense that it's not entirely out of the question, but isn't something that is automatically guaranteed or that should be expected.

I said this in general thread I doubt that doesn't mean kingpin or any one else can't show up. There was other older interview kevin said character can be used.

Best thing I say is. To they lock in the story they will be telling in each solo film. Marvel and sony haven't agreed on usage of x character to. They know who may be needed to work in any given story. And work with x actors contract and all that.

Saying no mcu guys in solo defeats the whole purpose of the deal. We already know this spidey is in the mcu and worn be cornered off in his own world now. He is a part of the greater mcu now.

I am bumping this thread because of all the new stuff Kevin Feige has said recently. First off, if someone could kindly post it all because I'm behind on it and secondly - I read that kingpin won't be in the reboot - does that mean sony indeed does not have the power to use marvel characters?

Not necessarily, just that Feige doesn't want to use him. I think it's more movie vs. tv than anything else.

Not necessarily, just that Feige doesn't want to use him. I think it's more movie vs. tv than anything else.
okay, so what exactly does it mean? because yes although daredevil is television, the kingpin is his own character and is a rogue of spiderman's...having him be the main villain of the first film is the perfect way to kickoff the new series imo

Again I doubt it means nothing to worry about. He never said mcu guys can't show up in the sony solo films. They more then likely haven't decided on mcu guys they may need or want to use in solo films. To they lock in the scripts for each films. And then if said films feature x mcu guys. They then work out deal with marvel and for x actor to appear. Again why would folks now think spidey in the solo films be shutted out into his own world where nothing from mcu connects to him. It's been said HE IS IN THE MCU WORLD AND THE MCU WORLD AFFECTS HIM.

okay, so what exactly does it mean? because yes although daredevil is television, the kingpin is his own character and is a rogue of spiderman's...having him be the main villain of the first film is the perfect way to kickoff the new series imo

What it means is Feige disagrees about it being the perfect way to kick off the new series. Keep in mind as of a month ago, he said he hadn't even seen Daredevil yet. Connectivity from the TV side of things isn't a priority. So, while yes, Kingpin is absolutely a Spider-Man foe, I don't think reusing the character from Daredevil is his priority.

Plus, we don't know what's going to happen in season two of Daredevil. For all we know, he dies.

However, the good news is that, in my opinion, there's nothing in his comments that says they aren't allowed to use him. Just that Feige doesn't want to at the moment.

This is how I see it:

Marvel have free control over Spider-Man for Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and Avengers: Infinity War Part 2. Sony gains no monetary benefit from any of these movies.

Sony and Marvel are co-producing Spider-Man (2017), with Sony getting final say on decisions, although seemingly they're allowing Feige free-reign. Marvel gain no monetary benefit beyond merchandise, Sony retains all profits.

Marvel & Sony both can use eachother's characters in their respective movies per agreement, e.g. Marvel would need permission to use Norman Osborn, Sony would need permission to use Iron Man. The respective studio would also have to agree upon how each character is used.

Similarly, Spider-Man characters can be used in the TV shows (Netflix & ABC) but it would have to be agreed upon by Sony (and probably Marvel Studios too, since Marvel Television is a separate division.)

What it means is Feige disagrees about it being the perfect way to kick off the new series. Keep in mind as of a month ago, he said he hadn't even seen Daredevil yet. Connectivity from the TV side of things isn't a priority. So, while yes, Kingpin is absolutely a Spider-Man foe, I don't think reusing the character from Daredevil is his priority.

Plus, we don't know what's going to happen in season two of Daredevil. For all we know, he dies.

However, the good news is that, in my opinion, there's nothing in his comments that says they aren't allowed to use him. Just that Feige doesn't want to at the moment.
Well, I wouldn't call it reusing him, I'd say it's continuing the narrative of the mcu as far as kingpin's story arc goes. Also, I get that feige isn't into daredevil and has very little to do with that property, but that isn't a reason for him to ignore kingpin for that reason. just like how even though the mcu is one big franchise, each individual superhero still helms their own franchise within it as well. spiderman included, so kingpin being a rogue of his should be a reason to have him in a film and him being in a televised series shouldn't be to discount them.

also, killing kingpin off before any encounters with spiderman...:down:down:down:down

lastly, I wish it was more clear about what sony can and can't do. it still doesn't seem 100% clear to me. I think this thread should get stickied

Ya its likely any character can alpear. But dies that character need to be there. And does the story they are telling need that character. And if so they work on contracts and deals with those actors and go from there. Again no way it means no mcu stuff in the solo films.

Well, I wouldn't call it reusing him, I'd say it's continuing the narrative of the mcu as far as kingpin's story arc goes. Also, I get that feige isn't into daredevil and has very little to do with that property, but that isn't a reason for him to ignore kingpin for that reason. just like how even though the mcu is one big franchise, each individual superhero still helms their own franchise within it as well. spiderman included, so kingpin being a rogue of his should be a reason to have him in a film and him being in a televised series shouldn't be to discount them.

also, killing kingpin off before any encounters with spiderman...:down:down:down:down

lastly, I wish it was more clear about what sony can and can't do. it still doesn't seem 100% clear to me. I think this thread should get stickied

As far as the clarity goes, I think his comments are clear that he's talking about what his focus is rather than what the limits of what he can do is. He never said, "our agreement doesn't allow Kingpin to appear in the movie" and other comments about Marvel characters possibly appearing suggest that isn't an absolute road block.

However, regarding everything else: You and I may agree on what we'd like to see, but I'm commenting solely from what Feige is saying and what his comments and behavior in the past suggest. I don't think Kingpin is a priority for him and that's all I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"