Aquaman Spoilers Thread (just in case ;) - please don’t enter if you don’t want to be spoiled)

Iceman

Daffy Duck Vs The Joker
Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone who wants to know spoilers. I can post a summary of all the scenes later tonight but on way to work now. If anyone has any questions I (or anyone else who has seen it feel free to jump in) will answer everything whenever I am free.

Edit: I had taken a load of notes to do a detailed scene summary (as I usually like seeing that) but it seems pointless as the whole plot is already out there on Wikipedia in much more concise and organised form.

Last edited:
How was Amber and her chemistry with Jason?
For me they were very good together and very natural. Neither are going to be getting acting accolades lol, but it worked well, was very fun and I am totally up for seeing them as the leads for at least a trilogy. Even the cheesy stuff somehow seemed to work. :cwink:

Edit- I read your post too fast and was answering just about the chemistry. But Amber was fine - I liked her as Mera and she got some nice action scenes and uses of her powers too. She had a big role overall.

How bit was Atlanna's role? She in present day stuff or just flashbacks?
Present day stuff. She has some cool stuff at the beginning. Then you don't see her for a long time. It's not a huge role but it certainly adds a fair bit to the film.

Iceman how did you enjoy the film in general? Like on a 1-10 scale? Also how was the action choreography and fight scenes? Were there unique combat styles?

Iceman how did you enjoy the film in general? Like on a 1-10 scale? Also how was the action choreography and fight scenes? Were there unique combat styles?
I don't yet know exactly what I would give it overall. There were the cheesy parts where it would be scraping a 7 but then many highlights where it would be at least a 9. I've no doubt calling it a good film and it is certainly fun all the way through. There is a tonne of action consistently throughout the film and I enjoyed every single minute of it. That is a rare feat in a CBM for me (enjoying every minute of the action), but part of that is due to how different a lot of it was with it being underwater. Aquaman and Orm had their style, Manta and his guys were obviously different, the girls (Mera and Atlanna) also had their cool moves. Aside from that kind of fighting there were a lot of crazy underwater battles.

My Spoiler Review

While I really enjoyed the action in the opening submarine scene I felt it was kind of a rushed introduction & motivation for Black Manta, it was as by the numbers as you could really go for me but on the flip side I like that Momoa's character isn't like Superman in the sense that if you're a bad dude he will actually just let you die.

Nicole Kidman is just a breath of fresh air for the little time she on screen during the beggining she steals damn near every scene and she even got a nice little fight scene. You felt so bad for the dad after she left and you see he keeps looking for her, I just wanted to give him a hug.

The ring of fire scene was fun and they used Momoa well. Wilson did all the big dramatic stuff while Momoa was very much the awkward fish out of water (pardon the pun) type of guy.

The Pinocchio bit had me in stitches both times when they went in to the whale and when she went crazy after finding it was from a book lol.

Black Manta vs. Aquaman Round 2. It was a mistake for the trailer to show you so much of this scene it lost a bit of pop because of it. Obviously because Manta has the Atlantean tech its a much closer fight but in the end it finishes the same way. Actually a lot more brutal this time to be honest. And this is one of the only real problems I had with the movie, Black Manta felt like he was undersold, underused and not really needed here if im honest. Really like the actor who played him and the suit was awesome just feels like he would have been a much better fit for a sequel.

Possibly my favourite sequence of the movie was the trench. Those creatures were creepy, the sense of danger and the unknown was there. Then you have him going for the trident and credit to James Wan the Karathen felt terrifying to me (I actually wished they hadn't had Aquaman take it in to battle because honestly I thought it was even more intimidating when you could only see very little of it and not its true scale.) And I have just found out its Mary frigging Poppins who voiced the monster lol.

Have to give credit to Wilson in general he is great in everything and that mask he has at the end is beautiful.

The battle at the end is really cool the whole movie is visually beautiful but this has to be one of the highlights. Seeing him in the suit, with the trident and commanding the ocean gave me one of those comic book brought to life moments.

To summarise in case nobody wants to read all that lol its a movie that stumbles a little at the beginning, finds it footing after the first 30 minutes and delivers a incredibly fun blend of pure fantasy, superheroes and even has an almost Indiana Jones action feel at times.

8.5/10

How did you guys like the songs? I see some complaints but tbh Depeche Mode and hip hop version of Africa sounds freaking awesome to me :D

How did you guys like the songs? I see some complaints but tbh Depeche Mode and hip hop version of Africa sounds freaking awesome to me :D

There were one or two hip hops ones that felt really out of place largely it was really good though.

Me and my friend were laughing our heads off at that bit.

Just seen it today, here's my spoiler review

I thought it was a visually spectacular movie from start to end! So wowed by the Atlantis locales, especially the hidden area under the trench, and the city of Atlantis itself. Whoever imagined it all up sure put in A LOT of love and detail. Not to mention the dizzying 360 underwater shots during the underwater chase felt like a true thrill ride. I'm into rollercoasters so I really enjoyed myself. I wasn't too keen on the kaiju in Pacific rim, but the kraken here took my breath away for some reason - maybe the thought of Arthur commanding such a huge animal felt cool in itself.

The romance between Atlanna and Thomas Curry was so beautiful and bittersweet - surprisingly even more so than that of Arthur and Mera. It drove myself and my mom to tears (bear in mind that my mom hates the superhero genre - she surprised me when she asked to watch this movie with me, and surprised me even more when she cried through two parts in the movie. That hasn't ever happened before during an action movie, I think). As for Arthur and Mera, I know they tried their darnest, but there weren't many sparks between Jason and Amber. Sometimes actors have it, sometimes they don't. These two didn't, which was a little disappointing, but didn't hurt the movie much.

The relationship between the brothers was as tense as it should be and I really love how they ended it, how Arthur spared Orm's life, and they seemingly ended on good terms. That was really nice to see - rare too for movies these days (where the villain is typically irredeemable and they always die towards the end, in horrible ways). Orm didn't feel completely like a villain, his ecological message made sense, and I actually cheered when I saw that his tidal waves had dumped trash that had drifted out, back onto the beaches. Killing the king of the fish people didn't feel right though - but it didn't exactly make me hate him.

Similarly for Black Manta, I sympathized with him when he watched his father die in front of his eyes, and swore to not stop till Arthur was dead. At the same time, it didn't really tarnish my image of Arthur - it was merely an unfortunate event that pit two men against each other, which like real life - turns people into enemies. If we're getting tired of stereotype Marvel-factory villains, Aquaman managed to come up with two excellent villains with very rational reasoning behind their "villainy", in a single movie, which is no small feat.

The music was generally good, apart from two particular song choices that seemed a little out of place - nothing horrible though.

CGI was beautiful right up to the end where Arthur is riding the kraken, and something about the green screen made him visibly pasted on. That's my only complaint about the CGI.

8.5/10

i saw yesterday here in Brazil, the crowd love the movie, my wife and daughter loved so much as i loved too, saturday i will see it again, what a movie, beautiful, great action, never seen before. 10/10 for me

The song were a bit off but they work. Harle you'll love the scene the follows after the part in the trailers where Aquaman says he's fish man.

I'd give a 8.8/10. The parts that work really work. The visuals, world building, exotic locations and the horror elements. The script could have been tighter bit less cheesy and better buildup to the Mera- Arthur romance but that kiss saw special. The pacing was a bit off hope Aquaman 2 has a bit complex narrative. Manta rules and I didn't know roses are edible. Will try to eat them. Manta rules but really really wish they showed him underwater too. Orm was awesome the moving eyes on his mask just wish they showed why he really hated the surface that much. Wan could have woven the narrative that a surface dweller caused his mom to die.
Second viewing is needed.
Long live the long one take shots.

Just seen it today, here's my spoiler review

I thought it was a visually spectacular movie from start to end! So wowed by the Atlantis locales, especially the hidden area under the trench, and the city of Atlantis itself. Whoever imagined it all up sure put in A LOT of love and detail. Not to mention the dizzying 360 underwater shots during the underwater chase felt like a true thrill ride. I'm into rollercoasters so I really enjoyed myself. I wasn't too keen on the kaiju in Pacific rim, but the kraken here took my breath away for some reason - maybe the thought of Arthur commanding such a huge animal felt cool in itself.

The romance between Atlanna and Thomas Curry was so beautiful and bittersweet - surprisingly even more so than that of Arthur and Mera. It drove myself and my mom to tears (bear in mind that my mom hates the superhero genre - she surprised me when she asked to watch this movie with me, and surprised me even more when she cried through two parts in the movie. That hasn't ever happened before during an action movie, I think). As for Arthur and Mera, I know they tried their darnest, but there weren't many sparks between Jason and Amber. Sometimes actors have it, sometimes they don't. These two didn't, which was a little disappointing, but didn't hurt the movie much.

The relationship between the brothers was as tense as it should be and I really love how they ended it, how Arthur spared Orm's life, and they seemingly ended on good terms. That was really nice to see - rare too for movies these days (where the villain is typically irredeemable and they always die towards the end, in horrible ways). Orm didn't feel completely like a villain, his ecological message made sense, and I actually cheered when I saw that his tidal waves had dumped trash that had drifted out, back onto the beaches. Killing the king of the fish people didn't feel right though - but it didn't exactly make me hate him.

Similarly for Black Manta, I sympathized with him when he watched his father die in front of his eyes, and swore to not stop till Arthur was dead. At the same time, it didn't really tarnish my image of Arthur - it was merely an unfortunate event that pit two men against each other, which like real life - turns people into enemies. If we're getting tired of stereotype Marvel-factory villains, Aquaman managed to come up with two excellent villains with very rational reasoning behind their "villainy", in a single movie, which is no small feat.

The music was generally good, apart from two particular song choices that seemed a little out of place - nothing horrible though.

CGI was beautiful right up to the end where Arthur is riding the kraken, and something about the green screen made him visibly pasted on. That's my only complaint about the CGI.

8.5/10
Loved the bar scene after he rescued the marines lol those pics. Curious to see Arthur as the reluctant king. Momoa has played kings before curious if he'll be serious or maintain the " bro" swag

Oh yeah! When those guys knocked him from his beer I was like.. oh no, please don't do another confrontation. And then the guy took out the pink phone lol! What a nice turn of events.

I was actually a little disappointed at the end when he told Mera that being a king will be fun, I'd like to see him nervous and reluctant as a king. I think he'll always have a bit of the "bro" swag, which is not really like the comics, but adds that bit of flavor.

Oh yeah! When those guys knocked him from his beer I was like.. oh no, please don't do another confrontation. And then the guy took out the pink phone lol! What a nice turn of events.

I was actually a little disappointed at the end when he told Mera that being a king will be fun, I'd like to see him nervous and reluctant as a king. I think he'll always have a bit of the "bro" swag, which is not really like the comics, but adds that bit of flavor.
Lol he reminded me of Korg in Thor Ragnarok. Plus those shatks are fast really.

Loved the bar scene after he rescued the marines lol those pics. Curious to see Arthur as the reluctant king. Momoa has played kings before curious if he'll be serious or maintain the " bro" swag

Me to, that was excellent way to subvert expectations, I was thinking too myself as well "Dude are you seriously away to pick a fight with a dude who fought an alien that nearly destroyed the world?"

I like our current version of Aquabro hope they keep his personality much and such the same for the next movie, think it would be weird if next movie he is super serious since a big part of his character was his levity and the fact he isn't always serious.

Me to, that was excellent way to subvert expectations, I was thinking too myself as well "Dude are you seriously away to pick a fight with a dude who fought an alien that nearly destroyed the world?"

I like our current version of Aquabro hope they keep his personality much and such the same for the next movie, think it would be weird if next movie he is super serious since a big part of his character was his levity and the fact he isn't always serious.
In the next movie they should do a bit of Superman's arc in BvS on him. Make him question being king and the weight it carries. Also make Atlanna and Tom grandparents in all of the CBMs so far no father or mother to a here is a grandparent lol.

I found the film visually spectacular. The work that went into creating the world of Atlantis was very impressive, a lot of creativity went into this. The action scenes were all very well done, and there were a couple of strong emotional moments. I have no complaints about any of the acting, nothing outstanding, but everyone put in a good effort.
However, the dialogue was absolutely atrocious. Just awful, some of the worst exposition I've ever scene. The film was very enjoyable apart from when people were talking.
Didn't care for the soundtrack.
I only came out of cinema a couple hours ago, so I'm still thinking it over, but at the moment it's a 5/6 out of 10.
Will be seeing it again on Saturday which may change how I feel.

As for the acting, well, I thought teen Arthur was really bad. I few moments in the film made me cringe. Arthur and Mera arguing in the desert. "If you're truly the next king, we're doomed." Really out of place and corny. Not even funny. Also the score in this scene was cringy as well. And the "we could have just peed on it" was juvenile.

There may have been a few other scenes that made me cringe but nothing major. The submarine fight was awesome, however some of the shots James Wan used I thought were out of place. The heavy metal and those slow-mo, nearly freeze framing shots of Momoa walking through the steam in darkness just didn't fit within the sequence.

I would have liked to have seen more of Queen Atlana's backstory, and seeing her adapting to the surface-world.

There are about 4-5 "surprise attacks" in the movie that were slightly annoying. They were notably redundant. That's a given, but every time one of the characters in the film has to get interrupted by bad guys is just annoying.

Overall, the film has more good things about it than bad. There are too many good things about the film to go over all at once, but I am planning to see it again when I can. I loved how James Wan made light of the campiness (the classic orange and green suit and Aquaman's ability to talk to sea life).

Atlantis' immigration border, all interesting. Everything in this film was visually spectacular. Black Manta had a good set-up. The final battle under water was so amazing. Seeing Aquaman in his purest form, on a seahorse. The battle was just as epic over the surface. So glad it wasn't spoiled in the trailers. Calling it the most epic final battle of all time is a stretch but I was so impressed by it. The way it ended, I thought was too simple. Queen Atlana returns, and suddenly Orm changes his mind. He's not even angry that his mother just suddenly returned after going missing for 20 years? Not sure what to make of that, but it was nice that Arthur gave Orm a shot at redemption.

Hmmm, yes, good chunks of dialogue were corny. But it felt like it was kinda intentional, to me. It was in line with the 'fun' general vibe.
However, we get some dramatic scenes, which, to my surprise, momoa and heard carried pretty damn well. And those moments made me care.
My problem with most marvel films is that, despite the dialogue not being as cheesy, there is no room for dramatic scenes to breathe and leave an impact, it all rushes to the next joke (im talking gotg, antman etc, clearly there are exceptions).
Here, those deeper moment made me care. So minus a few exposition heavy scenes, I absolutely loved all of it.

i saw yesterday here in Brazil, the crowd love the movie, my wife and daughter loved so much as i loved too, saturday i will see it again, what a movie, beautiful, great action, never seen before. 10/10 for me
Glad you enjoyed it so much. It certainly has visuals and action that we haven't seen before.

So... just came back from my screening, and please bear in mind that I know nothing about Aquaman...
That being said, I fraking LOVED this movie!
It's not an end all, be all kind of movie, but what it does, it does extremely well!
Performances wide I thought it was kind of hit and miss, Jason and Patrick being the obvious standouts.
The action, oh my god, the action scenes in this movie are insane! I left my theatre thinking "how much did they spend?!" Some people will undoubtly call it a CGI fest, and indeed it is, but it kinda had to be in order to portray Atlantis and the underwater stuff. Choreography was amazing!
One thing that I'll say is that this is a weird halfbreed (aahahaha.... see what I did here?) between Star Wars, Black Panther, a dash of Tomb Raiding, and a sprinkle of Saint Seiya (I mean c'mon... Orm's "regal armor"? yeah... )
That being said, I find this to be a solid 8/10 in my books, and I do in all honesty hope that DC gets their act together and take this movie and run with it!

"HELL YAH!"

btw, a question for those who have seen it (no spoilers): does anyone know the song playing during the "black Manta montage?"

So... just came back from my screening, and please bear in mind that I know nothing about Aquaman...
That being said, I fraking LOVED this movie!
It's not an end all, be all kind of movie, but what it does, it does extremely well!
Performances wide I thought it was kind of hit and miss, Jason and Patrick being the obvious standouts.
The action, oh my god, the action scenes in this movie are insane! I left my theatre thinking "how much did they spend?!" Some people will undoubtly call it a CGI fest, and indeed it is, but it kinda had to be in order to portray Atlantis and the underwater stuff. Choreography was amazing!
One thing that I'll say is that this is a weird halfbreed (aahahaha.... see what I did here?) between Star Wars, Black Panther, a dash of Tomb Raiding, and a sprinkle of Saint Seiya (I mean c'mon... Orm's "regal armor"? yeah... )
That being said, I find this to be a solid 8/10 in my books, and I do in all honesty hope that DC gets their act together and take this movie and run with it!

"HELL YAH!"
It looks like a film with a huge budget. Certainly no letdown on the visual front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"