• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Justice League Ben Affleck Offered to Direct Justice League

Yeah, I've enjoyed the fight sequences in all of Nolan's Batman films. Some people didn't like the close quarters approach of Batman Begins, but I was cool with it. And the epic fights between Batman and Bane in TDKR were outstanding.

Me too. Despite Begins' fight scenes being 'shaky' and too upclose, they were far more fluid and entertaining than Knight's. Rises' fight sequences, however, take the cake, for me -- they were so impressive. The editing, atmosphere, environments, cinematography, etc.

Bane vs Batman: I & II were perhaps the greatest and most memorable hand-to-hand combat scenes in the genre, to date. My only complaint was that the rematch (at Cityhall) was much too short.

But the team dynamics in that one were handled better than any of the previous M:I movies as well, and one of my favorite sequences of the movie (when they sneak into the Kremlin) wasn't even an action sequence - it was just fun and suspenseful at the same time. The only thing weak about about MI:GP was the script. I can't find a single fault in the direction. So you want it better than GP? Let him direct AND write it, because when Bird actually has a hand in the script (which he didn't with GP), he tells a great, thoughtful story. He proved that 3 times in a row before GP.

So as a writer, he's proven to be a great storyteller, and as a live-action director, he proved that his animation background makes him a natural with action sequences and he's always had a flair for character dynamics. How do those ingredients NOT make for a great option for a JL movie?

One major issue I have with trusting him with a project like JUSTICE LEAGUE IS that the script for GHOST PROTOCOL was very weak, and he apparently didn't have the clout to even have an impact on that. The script has not got much of any character or story complexity, and so basically he shot a really thin action movie.

As I recall, there are some pretty serious editing/pacing issues in GHOST PROTOCOL, and hardly all of them can be attributed to the script. Bird has shown himself to be a decent writer in the past, but in terms of comedy and children's movies, which yes, have been good, but which don't feature a whole lot of complexity. I'm not sure what you mean by "flair for character dynamics" exactly. He has a basic knowledge of character interaction, as evidenced by his animated work. But there was almost no meaningful character interaction in GHOST PROTOCOL beyond the interaction over the basic "plan", which was fairly simplistic, and the injection of humor into the existing dynamic for MI character interaction. "Use your gadget now, like we've discussed" isn't really all that impressive in terms of execution of teamwork. He's not getting any miracles from his actors, either. They all gave very average, though energetic, performances. The action sequences are certainly very good and very entertaining, but they're not light years beyond what else is out there save for a select few sequences.

When Bird gets to the point where he has a bit more control over the script he's filming, when he directs a live action script with some real character/thematic complexity, and does good work with actors, I will believe he is right for a project on the scale of JUSTICE LEAGUE, or any of the other DC superheroes.

One major issue I have with trusting him with a project like JUSTICE LEAGUE IS that the script for GHOST PROTOCOL was very weak, and he apparently didn't have the clout to even have an impact on that. The script has not got much of any character or story complexity, and so basically he shot a really thin action movie.

As I recall, there are some pretty serious editing/pacing issues in GHOST PROTOCOL, and hardly all of them can be attributed to the script. Bird has shown himself to be a decent writer in the past, but in terms of comedy and children's movies, which yes, have been good, but which don't feature a whole lot of complexity. I'm not sure what you mean by "flair for character dynamics" exactly. He has a basic knowledge of character interaction, as evidenced by his animated work. But there was almost no meaningful character interaction in GHOST PROTOCOL beyond the interaction over the basic "plan", which was fairly simplistic, and the injection of humor into the existing dynamic for MI character interaction. "Use your gadget now, like we've discussed" isn't really all that impressive in terms of execution of teamwork. He's not getting any miracles from his actors, either. They all gave very average, though energetic, performances. The action sequences are certainly very good and very entertaining, but they're not light years beyond what else is out there save for a select few sequences.

When Bird gets to the point where he has a bit more control over the script he's filming, when he directs a live action script with some real character/thematic complexity, and does good work with actors, I will believe he is right for a project on the scale of JUSTICE LEAGUE, or any of the other DC superheroes.

It seems to me that your standards for a JL director are ridiculously high!

If you're looking for a director that has the clout to out weigh the studio, then you have an extremely short list. It is really kind of up to the studio as to how much creative control they allow the typical director. Nolan didn't have clout on the Dark Knight but WB did believe in his vision and let him play it out.

Creative control requires a leap of faith on behalf of the studio and the passion of the director to sell his vision. Brad Bird has passion and vision by the buttload. He revitalized a dying franchise in his first foray into directing a live action piece with a script that was admittedly subpar. To me the sign of a great director is being able to release a project that is greater than the sum of it's parts and Brad Bird accomplished that. On paper, if you include his success with The Incredibles, Ratatouille and Iron Giant he is at least as credible as Whedon (pre Avengers), Nolan (pre DK) or Affleck.

Any director for this project is going to be a risk. For my money, Brad Bird is a better bet than just about anybody else in the running.

I was reading an article about Affleck going shopping with his two adorable daughters when I came across these lines:

Variety reported this week that with Christopher Nolan declaring himself out of the running for Justice League, Warner has offered the gig to Ben.
Since guiding WB's The Town to commercial success and critical acclaim from both sides of the camera, Affleck has ascended high on the studio's list of filmmakers who can be trusted.

'Affleck is the only candidate who's been sent Will Beall's Justice League script,' Variety said.

DC Comics' answer to Marvel's Avengers, Justice League is expected to bring together marquee characters Batman and Superman, as well as Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and The Flash.

'Affleck has made it clear that going forward, he's only interested in directing films in which he also stars - The Town and Argo are proof of that - so it's likely that if this pairing ever came to fruition, he would likely don a suit of his own,' the entertainment industry news magazine said.

So if Affleck accepts the gig, it is possible that he will cast himself as one of the DC superheroes. What role will he play, then? Since he played George Reeve and Superman in Hollywoodland, maybe he'll play an older Superman in JL. Remember, JL doesn't need to follow MOS's continuity, just like it won't with Nolan's Batman.

If he accepts, I doubt Affleck would cast himself as a superhero. Ben clearly voiced his displeasure about wearing the Dare Devil tights.

He wont cast himself. It would be Hal Jordan or a smaller/side character if he did. I would hope it would be something like that and not Hal lol but as long as he has a small role i could live with it.

Bottom line is, i think he would stay behind the scenes on this one.

It seems to me that your standards for a JL director are ridiculously high!

Someone who gets good performances from actors, can influence a project with his own vision, doesn't butcher a film in the editing room and can make a well paced action film? Someone who understands complex stories and characters and can make them work on a deeper level? These are ridiculously high standards?

So be it. Then my standards are ridiculously high. JUSTICE LEAGUE deserves that.

If you're looking for a director that has the clout to out weigh the studio, then you have an extremely short list.

Pretty sure I never said that.

Creative control requires a leap of faith on behalf of the studio and the passion of the director to sell his vision. Brad Bird has passion and vision by the buttload. He revitalized a dying franchise in his first foray into directing a live action piece with a script that was admittedly subpar.

I have yet to see Brad Bird's "passion and vision by the buttload".

THE IRON GIANT is based on a book. THE INCREDIBLES is a cartoon satire/parody of existing comic book/superhero tropes, and obviously heavily based on certain characters and types of characters. And he had little to do with MI4, certainly nothing in a visionary capacity.

How was MISSION IMPOSSIBLE a "dying franchise"?

To me the sign of a great director is being able to release a project that is greater than the sum of it's parts and Brad Bird accomplished that. On paper, if you include his success with The Incredibles, Ratatouille and Iron Giant he is at least as credible as Whedon (pre Avengers), Nolan (pre DK) or Affleck.

That's where we differ. Because to me, that's the job of every director ever. The sign of a great director is to make a great film.

Almost any director should be able to make a movie that is better onscreen than it is on a piece of paper.

Someone who gets good performances from actors, can influence a project with his own vision, doesn't butcher a film in the editing room and can make a well paced action film? Someone who understands complex stories and characters and can make them work on a deeper level? These are ridiculously high standards?
and brad bird can do all of that

That's where we differ. Because to me, that's the job of every director ever. The sign of a great director is to make a great film.
and he clearly showed that with GP a film with a higher RT rating than Avengers and TDKR

Me too. Despite Begins' fight scenes being 'shaky' and too upclose, they were far more fluid and entertaining than Knight's. Rises' fight sequences, however, take the cake, for me -- they were so impressive. The editing, atmosphere, environments, cinematography, etc.

Bane vs Batman: I & II were perhaps the greatest and most memorable hand-to-hand combat scenes in the genre, to date. My only complaint was that the rematch (at Cityhall) was much too short.

The rematch was a tad short, but I still thought it was really kickass. I just wish they had given Batman a cooler line to say right before the whole thing kicked off. I think he said "I came back... to stop you!" Kinda weak. I'm not saying he should have gone Full Arnold and delivered some cheesy catchphrase, but they could have given him something better there. It reminded me of the scene in The Matrix where Trinity asks Neo what he believes and you think he's going to say something really deep, but instead just says, "I believe I can bring him back."

So if Affleck accepts the gig, it is possible that he will cast himself as one of the DC superheroes.

I'm pretty sure there are a few leading roles in the JL film that aren't superheroes... even though Affleck said that he wasn't donning any more superhero tights back in 2009 (and he could've changed his mind over the years). Playing the villain is a leading role, so don't forget that.

And I saw the article you linked to with Affleck taking his daughters out to the market... just like any other dad with two kids. He looks really happy to be out and about, maybe it's his kids -- or maybe it's the next gig he has lined up too.

So be it. Then my standards are ridiculously high. JUSTICE LEAGUE deserves that.

Nolan never directed an action film before BB. Favreau had done a couple family studio films before IM. Guillermo Del Toro directed a couple Foreign Language high concept horror films before Blade II and Hellboy. I'm just saying, based on your criteria, at the time they were hired, none of these displayed the skills that are necessary to successfully direct a big budget super hero action flick.

Pretty sure I never said that.

You said, "One major issue I have with trusting him with a project like JUSTICE LEAGUE IS that the script for GHOST PROTOCOL was very weak, and he apparently didn't have the clout to even have an impact on that."

Maybe I misinterpreted but to me that indicates your expectation is that a JL director should have the clout to impact studio decisions on the script. Based on that criteria, neither Raimi or Favreau are qualified to direct JL.

How was MISSION IMPOSSIBLE a "dying franchise"?

The net BO has been on a steady decline since MI1, and MI3, which I actually thought was the best of the franchise after GP, was generally lauded as flop in comparison to the others.

Almost any director should be able to make a movie that is better onscreen than it is on a piece of paper.

It is the job of every director but not every director cuts the mustard. Brad Bird, however, to me he has proven himself as an exceptional director. The only question mark was his live action direction and he answered by delivering the best entry in a blockbuster action franchise.

But based on your criteria, only the most influential directors should be allowed the privilege of directing a JL movie. I am glad Marvel didn't base their director decisions on your criteria otherwise Favreau and Whedon would have never had an opportunity. It's doubtful even Nolan would have been given the reigns over the Batman franchise.

Sometimes a studio needs to take a leap of faith.

I can see Ben Afleck directing a Batman movie, he may even cast himself as a Batman villain, maybe as Hush ?

Marvel has officially announced the release date for Avengers 2. It seems WB has had a response the last two times Marvel has made an announcement. Will WB respond again?

I can see Ben Afleck directing a Batman movie, he may even cast himself as a Batman villain, maybe as Hush ?

I actually agree. Not only on the directing front, but I could absolutely see Affleck as Hush. I have no idea why, but I could.

He's definitely ripped enough to play Hush. Dude was JACKED in The Town.

Nolan never directed an action film before BB. Favreau had done a couple family studio films before IM. Guillermo Del Toro directed a couple Foreign Language high concept horror films before Blade II and Hellboy. I'm just saying, based on your criteria, at the time they were hired, none of these displayed the skills that are necessary to successfully direct a big budget super hero action flick.

No, Nolan hadn't proven he could do big action. And action remains Nolan's weak point to some degree.

Far more importantly though, Nolan HAD shown the ability to get fantastic performances from his actors, and he had proven ability to handle complex stories and characters, elements I consider far more important to Batman and to a very good film in general than whether a director can do great action. Because on a big budget film, a director has a whole team that assists with action.

As far as Favreau goes, yes, he was a risk. And its arguable that Favreau didn't exactly do a bang up job directing the Iron Man movies anyway. IRON MAN is a very straightforward movie, and IRON MAN 2 is largely considered a mess of a film, and many feel that the films largely only work on any special level because of Downey himself. But IRON MAN was conceived as an effects-heavy action comedy. While Jon Favreau had not done much in the way of action, he had done some, and he had proven he could direct comedies, with two big hits in ELF and ZATHURA. A previous film, MADE, was also a comedy.

As far as Del Toro goes, HELLBOY required someone who understood supernatural/horror elements, and could handle action. Del Toro had more than proven he got supernatural/horror with THE DEVIL’s BACKBONE, CRONOS and MIMIC, and he had clearly shown that he could handle action with BLADE II.

These are just not good comparisons you're making. These weren't directors who hadn't proven they were suited for a particular type of film. Thus far, Brad Bird has proven he can handle action, effects, animation, and very straightforward, simple stories and characters, while getting solid performances, but nothing special from his actors.

I don’t doubt Brad Bird’s action abilities. I have not seen his ability to handle and present complex stories and characters and to elevate his actors talent. Because I have yet to see it from him.

And let's not forget...IRON MAN and HELLBOY, at the time, these weren't A level franchises like JUSTICE LEAGUE will be. IRON MAN and HELLBOY simply weren't the financial/creative risks JUSTICE LEAGUE appears to be shaping up to be. In that context, taking a bit of a directorial risk is ok comparatively.

The reason I want someone who has proven their talent in multiple areas for this franchise is that JUSTICE LEAGUE is going to be an enormously expensive film, probably in the $250-$300 million range. It will feature up to seven very classic, very iconic characters, and possible solo films for these characters may well rest on how audiences respond to them in JUSTICE LEAGUE.

You said, "One major issue I have with trusting him with a project like JUSTICE LEAGUE IS that the script for GHOST PROTOCOL was very weak, and he apparently didn't have the clout to even have an impact on that."

Then that’s what I said. So that's what you should have assumed I meant.

Maybe I misinterpreted but to me that indicates your expectation is that a JL director should have the clout to impact studio decisions on the script. Based on that criteria, neither Raimi or Favreau are qualified to direct JL.

Yes. But having the clout to impact the script doesn't neccessarily mean that they have more power than the studio itself. I didn’t say “a director who has the clout to outweigh the studio”. I said “the clout to have an impact on the script”. As in, the ability to impact the script at all. As in, the ability and clout with a studio to contribute creatively to a film at all before it lenses. Even Brett Ratner, who fans claim was brought on as a hired gun to make X-MEN: THE LAST STAND, had a pretty solid impact on the story, excising bits of the third act and cutting/changing and rearranging other elements.

The net BO has been on a steady decline since MI1, and MI3, which I actually thought was the best of the franchise after GP, was generally lauded as flop in comparison to the others.

MI's world take was roughly $460 million.

MI2's world take actually went up, not down, to about $550 million.

MI3 went down to $400 million. This could be attributed to a number of factors, IE, Tom Cruise being less visible and it being six years between films VS four for the second movie. Either way, hardly "dying franchise" numbers.

It is the job of every director but not every director cuts the mustard. Brad Bird, however, to me he has proven himself as an exceptional director. The only question mark was his live action direction and he answered by delivering the best entry in a blockbuster action franchise.

I don't think he's proven himself to be an "exceptional" director in live action. Clearly we have different standards.

But based on your criteria, only the most influential directors should be allowed the privilege of directing a JL movie.

No, but certainly only well rounded directors should.

I am glad Marvel didn't base their director decisions on your criteria otherwise Favreau and Whedon would have never had an opportunity. It's doubtful even Nolan would have been given the reigns over the Batman franchise.

Whedon had proven himself in several releant directorial areas before THE AVENGERS. Another bad example. See above for my thoughts on Nolan.

Sometimes a studio needs to take a leap of faith.

And sometimes, like when they're making a $300 million movie that they want to compete with a box office juggernaut like THE AVENGERS, they should play it a little safer, or at least pick a proven director.

No, Nolan hadn't proven he could do big action. And action remains Nolan's weak point to some degree.

Far more importantly though, Nolan HAD shown the ability to get fantastic performances from his actors, and he had proven ability to handle complex stories and characters, elements I consider far more important to Batman and to a very good film in general than whether a director can do great action. Because on a big budget film, a director has a whole team that assists with action.

As far as Favreau goes, yes, he was a risk. And its arguable that Favreau didn't exactly do a bang up job directing the Iron Man movies anyway. IRON MAN is a very straightforward movie, and IRON MAN 2 is largely considered a mess of a film, and many feel that the films largely only work on any special level because of Downey himself. But IRON MAN was conceived as an effects-heavy action comedy. While Jon Favreau had not done much in the way of action, he had done some, and he had proven he could direct comedies, with two big hits in ELF and ZATHURA. A previous film, MADE, was also a comedy.

As far as Del Toro goes, HELLBOY required someone who understood supernatural/horror elements, and could handle action. Del Toro had more than proven he got supernatural/horror with THE DEVIL’s BACKBONE, CRONOS and MIMIC, and he had clearly shown that he could handle action with BLADE II.

These are just not good comparisons you're making. These weren't directors who hadn't proven they were suited for a particular type of film. Thus far, Brad Bird has proven he can handle action, effects, animation, and very straightforward, simple stories and characters, while getting solid performances, but nothing special from his actors.

I don’t doubt Brad Bird’s action abilities. I have not seen his ability to handle and present complex stories and characters and to elevate his actors talent. Because I have yet to see it from him.

And let's not forget...IRON MAN and HELLBOY, at the time, these weren't A level franchises like JUSTICE LEAGUE will be. IRON MAN and HELLBOY simply weren't the financial/creative risks JUSTICE LEAGUE appears to be shaping up to be. In that context, taking a bit of a directorial risk is ok comparatively.

The reason I want someone who has proven their talent in multiple areas for this franchise is that JUSTICE LEAGUE is going to be an enormously expensive film, probably in the $250-$300 million range. It will feature up to seven very classic, very iconic characters, and possible solo films for these characters may well rest on how audiences respond to them in JUSTICE LEAGUE.

Dude you're contradicting yourself. All the examples I provided were of directors who, by yours standards of, "Someone who gets good performances from actors, can influence a project with his own vision, doesn't butcher a film in the editing room and can make a well paced action film? Someone who understands complex stories and characters and can make them work on a deeper level?", they did not fit the bill when hired for their respective projects. They had not displayed all these characteristics until they were given the opportunity. You go to great pains to justify how each met your critieria in certain areas but by your own admission they were weak or unproven in other areas. Even Whedon had only proven himself in "several releant directorial areas before THE AVENGERS".

You have to admit that Brad Bird certainly fits your criteria in several key areas. Based on that criteria, solid performances, well paced action. I think he did well with the GP script he was given and I was not privy to decisions he made while editing or his impact on the script (whether it involved pushing back on the studio or not). He did deliver the best entry in a "declining franchise" and the highest rated action film of 2011. 94% TM is not a fluke. Clearly he knows how to strike the right cord with his audiences as he has done on several other occasions whether it has been animated or not.

WB/DC could do much worse and not much better in hiring Brad Bird for the JL project. He absolutely has earned the opportunity.

Clearly we do have vastly different standards, but being that Nolan has said no, Whedon is committed to the Avengers and WB propably wont pony up the dough for Spielberg, Scott or Scorcese for a project like this, I'd say you're probably boned.

. . . and that's all i'm going to say on this subject.

Dude you're contradicting yourself. All the examples I provided were of directors who, by yours standards of, "Someone who gets good performances from actors, can influence a project with his own vision, doesn't butcher a film in the editing room and can make a well paced action film? Someone who understands complex stories and characters and can make them work on a deeper level?", they did not fit the bill when hired for their respective projects.

A, No I'm not.

B, I disagree. Del Toro specifically had proven ability to handle multiple elements of filmmaking that Bird has not displayed yet.

C, they were not hired for JUSTICE LEAGUE, but for different types of projects. I am referring to what I feel is neccessary for a director who would be directing JUSTICE LEAGUE.

They had not displayed all these characteristics until they were given the opportunity.

And in some ways, at least in Favreau's case, he STILL hasn't.

You go to great pains to justify how each met your critieria in certain areas but by your own admission they were weak or unproven in other areas.

I'm not "going out of my way". I am doing something called looking at things in context. In the context of the films they were set to direct, they had proven themselves to be accomplished in key areas. In the context of a JUSTICE LEAGUE film, Bird has not.

Even Whedon had only proven himself in "several releant directorial areas before THE AVENGERS".

Whedon had proved himself in pretty much every area that matters as a writer/director. Writing various types of stories, different genres, comedy, action, sci-fi, the ability to handle ensemble casts, the ability to handle complex stories and characters, and the ability to develop rapport with and get very good performances from actors.

You have to admit that Brad Bird certainly fits your criteria in several key areas.

Action and comedy work. That is not enough to direct a JUSTICE LEAGUE film.

Based on that criteria, solid performances, well paced action. I think he did well with the script he was given and I was not privy to decisions he made while editing or his impact on the script (whether it involved pushing back on the studio or not). He did deliver the best entry in a "declining franchise" and the highest rated action film of 2011. 94% TM is not a fluke. Clearly he knows how to strike the right cord with his audiences as he has done on several other occasions whether it has been animated or not.

94%, in context, basically just means people thought the movie was fun. It was.

WB/DC could do much worse and not much better in hiring Brad Bird for the JL project. He absolutely has earned the opportunity.

Of course they could do much worse, as there are worse directors out there. They could also do much better.

And no. He has not "earned" the opportunity to direct a $300 million tentpole film that may well be designed to spearhead the DC film universe based on MI4 and some animated movies.

Clearly we do have vastly different standards, but being that Nolan has said no, Whedon is committed to the Avengers and WB propably wont pony up the dough for Spielberg, Scott or Scorcese for a project like this, I'd say you're probably boned.

So...you think there are only five directors out there capable of directing JUSTICE LEAGUE?

Last edited:
Marvel has officially announced the release date for Avengers 2. It seems WB has had a response the last two times Marvel has made an announcement. Will WB respond again?

They'll have to. The only 2014 film they have scheduled is Lego for February 28th. Sooner or later WB will have to start dating their 2014 releases and maybe stake a July 2015 date for JL.

BleedingCool says it's not quite a shot in the dark, but a shot by candlelight, that in three or four weeks they'll announce Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland, Gangster Squad) as the director.

BleedingCool says it's not quite a shot in the dark, but a shot by candlelight, that in three or four weeks they'll announce Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland, Gangster Squad) as the director.
A random name, but I can actually see it working.:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"