Best screen Batman?

lorenzovanmatte

Civilian
Reaction score
Just to qualify, screen only, not comics

1. Adam West, we all grew up with him and even today this show is great fun, the villains are especially good and the best ep is the political satire when the Penguin runs for Mayor. The film is especially good, benefitting from the bigger budget for the Batcopter, Batbike etc sorry Eartha, Julie Newmar for the best Catwoman

2. Tim Burton's Batman, lot's of gothic and like a modern day fairy tale but with kick-ass action (they always described The Punisher as Batman-who-kills-people but Burtons Batman doesn't hesitate to do that). Favourite scene is where we first see Bruce Wayne at the beginning of Batman Returns, sitting alone in a huge dark cavernous room staring off into space. You see him and think 'This guy could dress up as a giant bat in his spare time'.

3. Joel Schumacer's Batman, less dark, more colourful, more set in the real world with none of the 30s noir touches but keeping the overall comic book tone. Val Kilmer is actually my favourite in the role, some sexy ladies, terrific villains and great action scenes. George Clooney is ok but saddled with a terrible script and fat Batgirl. No offence to Robin but he works better as a solo act

4. Christian Bale's Batman, stripped of all it's comic book trappings and set very much in the real world, impressive but maybe not as much fun as what's been before.

5. Other, the old black and white serials and the various cartoon incarnations (I'm actually old enough to remember the late 70s cartoons)

You mean Chris Nolan's Batman...?

Either way, I prefer Tim Burton's Batman.

EDIT: Unless Kevin Conroy's Batman (TAS) counts. Then it's definitely him.

Easily Christian Bale, although THE best Batman is Kevin Conroy and I suppose you can count him cause Mask of the Phantasm was released on the big screen.

KEATON....all day:word:
Tim Burton's Batman still holds up.

:batman:
:supes:

Which is the movie with the rich playboy secret identity? The black mask and cape? The belt loaded with weapons? The mansion over the secret lair? With the secret entrance behind the grandfather clock? Where he keeps his sleek black mode of transportation? And a faithful manservant/confidant, who alone knows his secret? And of course the one with the small cunning animal totem and name? And stylized symbol to match?

Oh right .... :oldrazz:

fairbankbatman.jpg

Hey, there was an other option. But no, I like them all each for their own deferent reason and what they brought to the mythos.

Last edited:
I'd say Christian Bale.
Btw, it's always funny to see people mention B:TAS. We get it, you're hardcore Batman fan.

My favorite is Kevin Conroy, but if we're limiting this to live-action performances:

Michael Keaton's Batman.
Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne.

A combination of the two would be perfect.

The poll is stupid, because it assumes no difference between Val Kilmer and George Clooney's portrayals, which is ridiculous.

That said, I'd go with Bale anyway.

Which is the movie with the rich playboy secret identity? The black mask and cape? The belt loaded with weapons? The mansion over the secret lair? With the secret entrance behind the grandfather clock? Where he keeps his sleek black mode of transportation? And a faithful manservant/confidant, who alone knows his secret? And of course the one with the small cunning animal totem and name? And stylized symbol to match?

Oh right .... :oldrazz:

fairbankbatman.jpg

Hey, there was an other option. But no, I like them all each for their own deferent reason and what they brought to the mythos.

Or The Shadow knows what darkness lies within the hearts of men....
I always wish we could do a handicap system with the votes so newest didn't always have the advantage. In case you're wondering I swap between actors and directors because I consider the style and tone of Forever and Batman & Robin to be the same even if the lead actor is different

Ignoring all comic book "accuracy" and going with the best performance as Bruce Wayne and Batman, Christian Bale.

Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale's Batman.

Though it's not entirely fair to include it, considering it isn't finished yet.

Michael Keaton

The poll is stupid, because it assumes no difference between Val Kilmer and George Clooney's portrayals, which is ridiculous.

That said, I'd go with Bale anyway.

It's not so much a question of the actor but the tone and style of the film, Batman Forever and B&R are identical in those respects even with a different lead

Definitely Tim Burton's Micheal Keaton Batman for me. Was hectic fun to watch when I was a kid, didn't get that same wonder with the Nolan/Bale version - Still enjoyed them a lot though.

It's not so much a question of the actor but the tone and style of the film, Batman Forever and B&R are identical in those respects even with a different lead

No, they are not. At all.

People who lump Batman Forever in with Batman and Robin and consider the films to be identical haven't seen them in a LONG time.

I didn't see an introduction section, so I guess I will just jump right in.
I choose Christian Bale or Val Kilmer, but in regards to Bruce Wayne, I think Val is the best. But seeing as how Val's name is not up there, I will have to vote for Christian.

Keaton, absolutely. Nolan's take is excellent and Bale makes a great Bruce Wayne and Batman. But Keaton didn't even have to move to be more Batman than anyone else.

Just to qualify, screen only, not comics

Your poll is blatantly biased. You neither listed Kevin Conroy, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer or George Clooney. And yet, you list Christian Bale by name? In the very least, your choices should be West, Conroy, Keaton and Bale. Poll fail.

Michael Keaton is the best IMO(other than Kevin Conroy if he counts) so I guess Tim Burton's Batman.

2. Tim Burton's Batman, lot's of gothic and like a modern day fairy tale but with kick-ass action (they always described The Punisher as Batman-who-kills-people but Burtons Batman doesn't hesitate to do that). Favourite scene is where we first see Bruce Wayne at the beginning of Batman Returns, sitting alone in a huge dark cavernous room staring off into space. You see him and think 'This guy could dress up as a giant bat in his spare time'.

But it was reminiscent of Batman in his early days. As these pictures and this blog so excellently points out.

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2010/11/killer-batman.html

Are we talking the best and most "COMPLETE" portrayal of Batman??? Are we limited to just The big screen and live actors?

Because really....the Best Batman on a screen has been the Bruce Timm animated Batman.......especially as done in JL and JLU.

The voice....
The detective skill.....
The scientific genius (he designed the watchtower and all of his oown gadgets)
The costume ( not rubber)
The bad attitude.....the loner motif
The fighting skill and agility

No live action film has ever come close to giving us the the true Batman that we read about.

Bale's Batman still falls short (as great as it is). We've seen minimal detective skill. He invents nothing. all of his stuff comes from Lucious Fox. And I'm truly done with the Iron Bat armor thing. The fur ball in the throat thing is just bad now.

So my vote is for animated Bruce Timm Batman. Thoughts?:batman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPHSEWul5rU

These are his best moments! ^

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"