Beta Ray Bill

The framing of this shot in the teaser doesn’t add up, so people have theorized that they have edited out a spoilery character. Now since they are apparently in Sakaar I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this was actually BRB. I have a strong feeling he’s going to be in the film in some capacity.

Also this shot could have been framed like this so it wouldn’t show the magical goats which I’m pretty sure it’s what Korg is holding since the shot matches up with behind the scenes pictures showing Toothgnasher.

FQpahsIWUAkY6Pm

I still think, there’s no better opportunity to introduce him. It’s a character Taika definitely likes and Kevin Feige really wants to be introduced into the MCU

The problem with BRB in the MCU is that we've already had two people pick up the hammer and get Thor's power so doing that again soon will feel very played out for me. I think I'd need them to change up his thing for me to be interested in seeing him soon. You can't have other people "become Thor" too many times in a short while without severely diluting the worth of the original.

there are the Thor Corps.
Also in the comics 3 Thors fight Gorr in the end

there are the Thor Corps.
Also in the comics 3 Thors fight Gorr in the end

The Thor Corps is in a gimmick reality that Doom created and the three Thors that fight Gorr are all the same one so nothing about anyone else picking up the hammer and gaining his powers (it didn't even let young Thor pick it up).

To that point I'd rather point to the cases where people did lift the hammer to gain Thor's power, but the point is that in the comics those things were spread out over a long time. Here it's becoming a big part of Thor's MCU appearances as we've seen four people lift Mjolnir this far (although only two of them gain the power of Thor from it). It's losing the feeling of being special and if they have BRB do it after Cap and Jane has done it in two consecutive films the magic is pretty much gone. They can't rely on that trope every time Thor is on screen.

Maybe, Maybe not

The Thor Corps is in a gimmick reality that Doom created and the three Thors that fight Gorr are all the same one so nothing about anyone else picking up the hammer and gaining his powers (it didn't even let young Thor pick it up).

To that point I'd rather point to the cases where people did lift the hammer to gain Thor's power, but the point is that in the comics those things were spread out over a long time. Here it's becoming a big part of Thor's MCU appearances as we've seen four people lift Mjolnir this far (although only two of them gain the power of Thor from it). It's losing the feeling of being special and if they have BRB do it after Cap and Jane has done it in two consecutive films the magic is pretty much gone. They can't rely on that trope every time Thor is on screen.

Wait, four? I count Vision, Cap, and now Jane. Whose the fourth one, Odin?

Wait, four? I count Vision, Cap, and now Jane. Whose the fourth one, Odin?

Hela. Likely not by being worthy though but rather being stronger than the enchantment, and she didn't try to wield it and destroyed it instead, but it's a point against the enchantment nonetheless.

The more I think of it, the more I resent Whedon's decision to make Vision worthy in AoU. Aside from being a cute gag, it had literally no effect on any of the subsequent movies/shows which featured Vision, and now only contributes to the feeling that a few too many characters have been deemed to be worthy at this point.

Hela. Likely not by being worthy though but rather being stronger than the enchantment, and she didn't try to wield it and destroyed it instead, but it's a point against the enchantment nonetheless.

You could technically throw in Kurse too, since he was able to redirect Mjolnir with sheer brute force.

and Loki, because he was lying under it, without being crushed. Or Spiderman because he was flying with it while holding the Infinity Gauntlet

and Loki, because he was lying under it, without being crushed. Or Spiderman because he was flying with it while holding the Infinity Gauntlet

Those are the effects of the ones that aren't worthy though. Having Mjolnir on top of you doesn't mean that you get crushed, just that you can't move it. Grabbing it while it's flying is also not wielding it so Spidey couldn't change the trajectory, he could just tag along wherever the wielder threw it. Quicksilver and Hulk had the same thing happen.

The Kurse thing is trickier though. He could clearly punch it away as it came flying, which is a big deal, but it might be harder to lift as he might just end up like Hulk and pulling himself into the ground.

While it’s undoubtedly true that giving Mjolnir to different characters dilutes Thor’s own “unique” worthiness, I think Marvel has done a decent job in making the new wielder do something or be something different with it.

Vision - It worked in the context of the scene/film and it helped establish the character itself. Vision was worthy because he was “born the day before” and was basically a clean slate, he gave Mjolnir to Thor and he then decided a plan with him to get the upper hand on Ultron, where Vision just used Mjolnir to hit Ultron very hard once.

Captain America - Thor was double wielding at the time with Stormbreaker and Mjolnir. Cap had already budged it before so in the fight against Thanos he came to Thor’s aid and he probably knew he could wield Mjolnir hence summoning the hammer to his hand. Cap showed his skill not only with Mjolnir and the shield but also by controlling the lightning powers. He also briefly hold Stormbreaker which doesn’t have an enchantment.

Jane Foster - Thor wields Stormbreaker. Jane gets a hold on the crushed Mjolnir and that grants her not only the power of Thor but also a similar appearance. A theory floating around is that “there must always be a Thor” and since Thor wasn’t present to help Asgard, the hammer “awarded her the title”, so to speak, and the appearance of the body armour we can chalk up to Mjolnir magical abilities since Thor can also change his appearance when he hits the hammer on the ground… A female looking Thor wielding a reassembled shattered Mjolnir is definitely something new and fresh for the MCU.

“Beta Ray Bill” - Stormbreaker is already part of the MCU and it makes the most sense that it eventually falls in the hands of its righteous owner. Stormbreaker lack of a worthiness enchantment is something new that lends to a easy change of the wielder. The whole Mjolnir’s worthiness angle with BRB can be explored later down the line, at first he could just get Stormbreaker as some sort of reward from Thor while Thor himself eventually gets back to wielding Mjolnir once again.

We don’t know how much Jane Foster we’re going get moving forward, I wouldn’t be suprised at all if this is a one and done sort of deal, so BRB would be the next in line to eventually, at some point and maybe for a short period of time as well, wield Mjolnir just as a small nod to the comics and I way that narratively would make sense.

Last edited:
I just hope Taika is still around to give us Beta Ray Bill when the time is right . It won’t feel right if the Thor franchise is done without a proper appearance from BRB.

I‘m counting 100% on a BRB post credit scene.
I mean we got
Charlize Theron as Clea in MoM

Those are the effects of the ones that aren't worthy though. Having Mjolnir on top of you doesn't mean that you get crushed, just that you can't move it. Grabbing it while it's flying is also not wielding it so Spidey couldn't change the trajectory, he could just tag along wherever the wielder threw it. Quicksilver and Hulk had the same thing happen.

The Kurse thing is trickier though. He could clearly punch it away as it came flying, which is a big deal, but it might be harder to lift as he might just end up like Hulk and pulling himself into the ground.
Yeah, Quicksilver and Hulk were both shown to have no control of it after it stopped, just the ability to catch it and hold on to it - which is still pretty cool. Just doesn't have anything to do with being worthy, and Quicksilver certainly wasn't worthy at that point.

I‘m counting 100% on a BRB post credit scene.
I mean we got
Charlize Theron as Clea in MoM
Yep, I can't think of anything more appropriate. Also if we got that I think it would be part confirmation of Thor 5 with Taika too lol.

BRB could show up after that in Guardians Vol 3, Nova maybe in Marvels if it’s a cosmic movie

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"