Black Panther: Wakanda Forever General Discussion and Speculation Thread

Regardless of the outcome, it's crazy all the stuff Coogler had to face here.

If losing a friend wasn't enough, he had to rewrite the scripts, address Boseman's death, shoot the movie during the pandemic, face delays and actors injuries, the grief of his and the cast, while introducing new characters and expanding the MCU, and closing phase 4.

A lot of respect for this guy, regardless of the outcome.
True. So much on his plate making this. Hopefully the result makes it worth all that hard work.

Not saying, that the death of Chadwick will make the movie better, but including his tragic passing and not recasting the character make the story more emotional than it could ever be. And none of those emotions are acting, but real feelings for their beloved colleague.
I hope they don’t screw this up and this will be remembered as the greatest of Phase 4

In regards to the recasting or not re-casting of Chadwick Boseman, I was a bit unsure about how I thought about the whole situation, until I saw this video from Variety with Danai Gurira, particularly at the end:

Because of the genuine emotion the cast were feeling when filming this movie, recasting the role of T’Challa and having all of the cast act against a new actor as if nothing had happened in real life would feel emotionally false. Yes, I know they are professionals, and could conceivably fake it very well. But, even if they were able to hide that for the movie, you would still be able to tell and feel the disconnect between their performances and how they actually feel in real life, and it just wouldn’t sit right.

It’s one thing to just act in a film normally, but it’s another to try and act in a film in the wake of an unbearable tragedy of losing someone really close and so vital and important to the film. The emotions all of the actors are feeling are too strong and raw to just stuff away. No matter how much you try to disguise it, you can still subconsciously sense it. Trying to go against that would be such a Sisyphean task for the actors to overcome, and would negatively affect their performances, because they would be constantly thinking of and distracted by what actually happened, and not putting their whole heart into their roles. Instead of pushing the real life and emotional component to the side, they decided to lean into and fully embrace it, and I think the film, and especially the performances, will be much stronger for it.

I mean, going by the dozens of strong emotional reactions I’ve watched of people reacting to this trailer, I’d say that they’re going the right route with this, or rather, as right as they can in the face of a terrible situation like this.

Last edited:
Ramonda: "MY ENTIRE FAMILY IS GONE!!!"
Shuri:

SUOMLfh.jpg

Recasting would not allow the same catharsis for the cast and audience.

After seeing the trailer, it's clear.

Plus acknowledging Chadwick's passing makes this movie much more special.

Lastly, Chadwick is irreplaceable. It would be jarring to see another actor pretending to be him.

In regards to the recasting or not re-casting of Chadwick Boseman, I was a bit unsure about how I thought about the whole situation, until I saw this video from Variety with Danai Gurira, particularly at the end:

Because of the genuine emotion the cast were feeling when filming this movie, recasting the role of T’Challa and having all of the cast act against a new actor as if nothing had happened in real life would feel emotionally false. Yes, I know they are professionals, and could conceivably fake it very well. But, even if they were able to hide that for the movie, you would still be able to tell and feel the disconnect between their performances and how they actually feel in real life, and it just wouldn’t sit right.

It’s one thing to just act in a film normally, but it’s another to try and act in a film in the wake of an unbearable tragedy of losing someone really close and so vital and important to the film. The emotions all of the actors are feeling are too strong and raw to just stuff away. No matter how much you try to disguise it, you can still subconsciously sense it. Trying to go against that would be such a Sisyphean task for the actors to overcome, and would negatively affect their performances, because they would be constantly thinking of and distracted by what actually happened, and not putting their whole heart into their roles. Instead of pushing the real life and emotional component to the side, they decided to lean into and fully embrace it, and I think the film, and especially the performances, will be much stronger for it.

I mean, going by the dozens of strong emotional reactions I’ve watched of people reacting to this trailer, I’d say that they’re going the right route with this, or rather, as right as they can in the face of a terrible situation like this.

I was saying before, it was a hard decision to make but I think ultimately Disney made the right call in not recasting. Consider what Boseman went through while playing T'Challa: being in pain from his cancer, going to treatments, all the while still fulfilling his contractual obligations and traveling to promote these movies... that would've been disrespectful to his memory to just put someone else in the role and call him the new Black Panther.

And then for the people saying they should've recast, that's a very big risk that I'm grateful they didn't take. If they had to pick the wrong person to be this character and have him acting within this established cast, it would be jarring and social media would've viciously eaten that person alive.

I say all that to say, this film seems like it's heading in the right direction.

I was saying before, it was a hard decision to make but I think ultimately Disney made the right call in not recasting. Consider what Boseman went through while playing T'Challa: being in pain from his cancer, going to treatments, all the while still fulfilling his contractual obligations and traveling to promote these movies... that would've been disrespectful to his memory to just put someone else in the role and call him the new Black Panther.

And then for the people saying they should've recast, that's a very big risk that I'm grateful they didn't take. If they had to pick the wrong person to be this character and have him acting within this established cast, it would be jarring and social media would've viciously eaten that person alive.

I say all that to say, this film seems like it's heading in the right direction.

I've always had the stance that they should recast...just not in this movie. Have T'challa just not be present for the film's events. Come up with a reason he cannot be here. Then in the 3rd BP movie he comes back but recast. I very much respect Marvel's decision and I think its heartening that they're honoring Boseman in this way so I dont have a problem with it but...ultimately I think we need to have T'Challa back in the MCU in the future.

Last edited:
I've always had the stance that they should recast...just not in this movie. Have T'challa just not be present for the film's events. Come up with a reason he cannot be here. Then in the 3rd BP movie he comes back but recast. I very much respect Marvel's decision and I think its heartening that they're honoring Boseman in this way so I dont have a problem with it but...ultimately I think we need to have T'Challa back in the MCU in the future.

Even if they kept T'Challa offscreen and brought in someone new to play him for BP3, it still wouldn't stop the bleeding. I just feel that's way too big a role and too big a risk, especially when you had someone as unforgettable as Chadwick Boseman playing him. It's one of those ideas that truly sounds better on paper.

Now years and years later if Disney ever reboots their MCU with brand new actors for everybody, then by all means go for a new T'Challa. But for right now, it's best to let him rest and be celebrated.

I'll take that beautiful song anyway I can. Love this cover.

Ramonda: "MY ENTIRE FAMILY IS GONE!!!"
Shuri:

SUOMLfh.jpg

Rumor has it, that Shuri goes to the ancestors plain to bring back Killmonger. The BP in the end definitely has a masculine figure but Winston Duke is too broad.

**** that trailer made me so emotional, on top of being an incredible trailer in itself. I know a lot of people have been down on Marvel's work post-Endgame, but I like that this movie is keeping the trend of every Phase 4 having its own identity.

kinda dissapointed, they didn’t chose to make Tenochtilan but Talocan instead the home of Namor. That would’ve given more depth to Eternals. But this decision was made before so many people were dissapointed by Eternals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"