BOX OFFICE Discussion

^ Much more competition this year compared to 2005

Yep. It was brutal. It did well considering. $ 42 million WW below FF. It still ranks 14th domestic, and 12th WW for 2007. GR is 15th on the WW 2007 list. So all in all not too bad. With Iron Man on deck in 2008. Can't wait. This movie has the potiental to be the Transformers of 2008. It could well be huge. It's new, and the Iron Man suit is just frickin awsome. Have May 2, 2008 circled on my calander.

My students aren't talking about Iron Man......THEY ARE talking about the Indy 4 movie..........ALL THE TIME. They seem to be tired of CB movies at the moment.

Don't know who you are talking to Kel, but the people I talk to are hyped about Iron Man. These are people I play basketball with, people in the store and they all say that Iron Man is one of the movies that they can't wait to see. Honestly..........I really haven't been hearing any positive news about Indy Jones on the street. Only about IM, TDK, and Prince Caspian.

My students aren't talking about Iron Man......THEY ARE talking about the Indy 4 movie..........ALL THE TIME. They seem to be tired of CB movies at the moment.

The new Indy movie will be like the Live Free or Die Hard movie. It will do well, but Iron Man, being produced by Marvel, and distributed by Parimount, with no sign of Fox in site, will do extremly well with the kids. Heck if they liked Transformers, the'll love Iorn Man. Transformers suscess still boggles my mind. I guess there were more kids playing with robots then I thought. Go figure. :huh: Marvel is smart relesing it in May unlike FF which was released in the summer. Will it do $ 700 WW like Transformers ? Probabily not, but it should be in the $ 350 to $ 400 WW range, mabey more, but right now that's my prediction. I don't think the public is tired of comic book movies. The public wants something new, and exciting, and I think Iron Man will fit the bill nicley, if it is marketed right. That will be the key. Heck if GR could do over $ 200 WW in February, Iron Man should be a sure thing in May.

On a side note here, according to Mojo. FF Rise of the Silver Surfer, as of Nov. 25th has done $ 37.22 million in home video rentals. Transformers ? $ 38.45 million same date. So it has held it's own. As I predicted it would do very well on DVD.

I know Tim's happy about the DVD #'s. There will be another film in some form. I'm glad we got to see the FF on the big screen, and I hope when someone else takes a stab at it it's improved much more. It was worth the price of admission, and the second one to me was a solid film.

Don't know who you are talking to Kel, but the people I talk to are hyped about Iron Man. These are people I play basketball with, people in the store and they all say that Iron Man is one of the movies that they can't wait to see. Honestly..........I really haven't been hearing any positive news about Indy Jones on the street. Only about IM, TDK, and Prince Caspian.

Well as I said, I'm talking to my students...:huh: :huh:

If you are talking to people on the street, you may not know them either... ha.

I really haven't been hearing any positive news about Indy Jones on the street. Only about IM, TDK, and Prince Caspian.
I've heard lots of anticipation for Indiana Jones from many of my friends, and some down at the comic shop, too. It's been almost 20 years since Last Crusade; a lot of kids weren't even alive back then. So gauging its hit potential may be tricky. A lot of people didn't expect Live Free or Die Hard to do that well and look at that one. And Indy was a much, much bigger franchise than Die Hard ever was.
I think Indy 4 will do great.

I know Tim's happy about the DVD #'s. There will be another film in some form. I'm glad we got to see the FF on the big screen, and I hope when someone else takes a stab at it it's improved much more. It was worth the price of admission, and the second one to me was a solid film.

I hope Story won't EVAH be allowed to direct superhero movies again in his life. :hyper:

I wasn't happy to see FF butchered by such a lousy director.

The first wasn't worth the price of the freakin' popcorn and the second was pathetic storywise.

Not to mention the corniest dialogue I've ever heard in this kind of movie (that one when Reed talks down to the military pinhead).

That was awful. Ridiculous. It can only be matched by Reed's idiotic dance. In. the. same. flick. :oldrazz:

And DINO. And Cloudactus.

Argh! way too much crap. :o

Not to mention the corniest dialogue I've ever heard in this kind of movie (that one when Reed talks down to the military pinhead).

Corny? Maybe. But the audiences I saw it with loved that part. (I thought it was perfectly fine.)

That was awful. Ridiculous. It can only be matched by Reed's idiotic dance. In. the. same. flick. :oldrazz:

Still doesn't come close to Emo Pete's dance number in Spidey 3.
At least Reed's dance was mercifully short.

Fantastic Four and Corny Dialogue are one in the same Mercurius. Have you ever read the early FF origin books, the first apperance of Doom, or any of the books at all. It's all corny. The Dance in FF was god awful...at least in SM3 it was a bit of unexpected comic relief.

Nah, just a different soul than yours.....*smiles*

Fantastic Four and Corny Dialogue are one in the same Mercurius. Have you ever read the early FF origin books, the first apperance of Doom, or any of the books at all. It's all corny. The Dance in FF was god awful...at least in SM3 it was a bit of unexpected comic relief.

I did, AD. :hyper: Have all o'them and cherish'em.

But although we can appreciate vintage great stuff (Stan/Jack) the times have dramatically changed.

Moreover, it wasn't a vintage movie. They've setted it in modern times.

Byrne was the best way to get things right.

And, even so, they couldn't get even close to the original work.

Plain bad. :dry:

I really had no problem with the dance. It was just Reed having a little fun.

The only thing that bothered me about the dance was the very bad cgi...

The only thing that bothered me about the dance was the very bad cgi...

Agreed - also the Doom spinning..."go for a spin" segment and when they are in the Fantasticar trying to talk to Doom on the surfboard. It's almost embarrassing.

Agreed - also the Doom spinning..."go for a spin" segment and when they are in the Fantasticar trying to talk to Doom on the surfboard. It's almost embarrassing.

That was not in the script, someone....probably Julian decided to throw that in......it was not the writer's idea...

Maybe Nolan will do "Fantastic Four Begins" and we can just pretend these dogs were unaired Corman films.

...Well, they pretty much WERE Corman films... unfortunatly they actually came out.

Maybe Nolan will do "Fantastic Four Begins" and we can just pretend these dogs were unaired Corman films.

...Well, they pretty much WERE Corman films... unfortunatly they actually came out.

Have you ever seen the Corman version of the FF ? To compair that to these films, is an insult. Mabey you would like Singer to do the next one ? FF would mean something totaly different to him. Sheesh. After seeing the Superman suit, I can only imagine what The Thing would look like.

The Corman film was garbage. Pure trash. The 2005 FF film was mediocre but it had it's moments. FF2 was a short but great film that showed even more potential for the franchise. I don't think the way this franchise is now it'll ever approach the quality of the top films but not all film franchises can be. I enjoyed it and I'll watch part 3 when it comes out.

The Corman film was garbage. Pure trash. The 2005 FF film was mediocre but it had it's moments. FF2 was a short but great film that showed even more potential for the franchise. I don't think the way this franchise is now it'll ever approach the quality of the top films but not all film franchises can be. I enjoyed it and I'll watch part 3 when it comes out.

The Corman film was trash. Plain and simple. However, that film stuck to the origin. You have to give it credit for that. If the 1st movie had stuck to the origin like that film did, it would have been much better. I'll say that till my dying day. Corman made that film on a 1.5 million budget, instead of the 40 million he was suppose to have to make the film. Give Corman 100 million like the 05 movie had, and I'll bet my bottom dollar it would have been fantastic. However that movie was made only so the rights for FF would not revert to Marvel. It was never meant to be released. Everybody but Corman, the cast and crew knew that. The special effects were embarasing, even by 1994 standards. I'll go see 3. No doubt there. Here's the movie of 08 : :im: Iron Man. Whooooooooooooo.

Honestly, I think if the Doom origin was closer to the comics this movie would have surpassed the budget. He really was like Norman Osborne. Heck even the board room firing was very similiar to SM1. If they could have done a quick flashback with him growing up with his mother and she being killed as a witch and him ruling Latveria and not just being a businessman, this would have worked. I was disappointed in this movie when Story said that Doom would be in all his "bada$$ness" but we have yet to see it. Matter of fact, he looked like the GG on Surfer's board. I hope they have a part 3 but with a smaller budget. Maybe the villian can be .............the Xmen? There's a thought! The first superhero crossover film.

Honestly, I think if the Doom origin was closer to the comics this movie would have surpassed the budget. He really was like Norman Osborne. Heck even the board room firing was very similiar to SM1. If they could have done a quick flashback with him growing up with his mother and she being killed as a witch and him ruling Latveria and not just being a businessman, this would have worked. I was disappointed in this movie when Story said that Doom would be in all his "bada$$ness" but we have yet to see it. Matter of fact, he looked like the GG on Surfer's board. I hope they have a part 3 but with a smaller budget. Maybe the villian can be .............the Xmen? There's a thought! The first superhero crossover film.

Keep dreaming. Now there's a thought. Never thought of that. Start out with a Dr. Doom origin movie right up to the point where he meets Reed in college, and go from there with the 1st FF movie. :woot: Follow the origin story, and BANG. Away the franchise goes. I was disapointed with Doom in the 2nd movie. They had too much of Victor, and not enough Doom. And I was extremly disapointed that The Thing did not have a bigger roll. He did not clobber anyone. The only thing he did Thing like was holding up the London Eye. He was basicly invisable in the 2nd film. I did like the fact that Sue was more the loving sister to Johnny, instead of the scolding mother in the 1st film. Payne treated Sue's charactor with more respect than the 1st movie did. They did not exploit Jessicas sexualality for a few cheep thrills. I was pleased to see that. I gave the movie an 8 stricly based on better dialog, better sets, and better special effects than the 1st one.

Any word yet from FOX... they are stating to annoy me! :cmad:

I'm boycotting every single film that they pump out until FF3 is greenlit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"