Guardians of the Galaxy BoX Office Thread

It feels like I've been seeing like only one commercial a night for the last few weeks for it, which just seems strange for a film that's supposed to kick off the summer film season and end one of the MCU's best trilogies. Marvel has been dropping the ball with their marketing for the past couple years.
They certainly need to be putting more effort in there. It’s costing them.

I liked the film a lot so I hope it does well, deserves to. Looks like the opening won’t be big but hopefully legs are decent so that the number isn’t too bad.

office.gif

Ouch.

Wasn't expecting it to go that low.

The Little Mermaid hits tracking:

Disney will have a $100M+ opening title stateside this weekend in Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3 which is eyeing around $110M, possibly north of $120M. I hear the pic’s advance tickets sales are pacing 6% behind Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania‘s which did a 3-day of $106.1M and 4-day of $120.3M.

If this movie drops like a stone next weekend, you better believe Marvel will be having some unpleasant meetings.

This is a healthy performance for opening weekend, but I don't know... I expected more.

My theater was practically empty sadly only like 5 people. They just don't have a post Thanos event, instead we are just getting movies as a general thing. Nothing wrong with that but it means more people are going to wait until stream. These aren't must see to avoid getting spoiled in the future things happening in any movie.

The selling point for GOTG3 was that it was the last one with this group. I avoid reading up on the movies and trailers. I can't avoid tv spots during sporting events on tv though I like when nothing is shown. People on the fence now about MCU though just need to have more shown or the actual main plot needs to be setup.

The Little Mermaid hits tracking:

If this movie drops like a stone next weekend, you better believe Marvel will be having some unpleasant meetings.

This is a healthy performance for opening weekend, but I don't know... I expected more.
My theater was practically empty sadly only like 5 people. They just don't have a post Thanos event, instead we are just getting movies as a general thing. Nothing wrong with that but it means more people are going to wait until stream. These aren't must see to avoid getting spoiled in the future things happening in any movie.

The selling point for GOTG3 was that it was the last one with this group. I avoid reading up on the movies and trailers. I can't avoid tv spots during sporting events on tv though I like when nothing is shown. People on the fence now about MCU though just need to have more shown or the actual main plot needs to be setup.

office.gif

Good luck to Thunderbolts and Sam Wilson neXt year. Who asked for those films when they could have went straight to Fantastic 4, Avengers and X-Men.

‘Guardians of The Galaxy: Vol. 3’ Spots $14M Thursday: Box Office – Deadline
EXCLUSIVE: Distribution sources are telling us that Disney Marvel Studios’ final James Gunn movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, is doing around $14M in previews. As we always say, that can go higher or lower by the morning. Thursday previews kicked off at 3PM, and there were 100 Imax shows on Wednesday. Note, these figures do not come from Disney.
That said, projections on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 have been wild. On early tracking three weeks ago it was at $130M, then lowered down to $110M, then I heard an estimate from an exhibitor today that was even lower, and unspeakable. Let’s just have this pic play out. Global outlook is $250M. Keep in mind, Marvel movies can always be frontloaded. While reviews have settled to around 79% certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, the lowest of the trilogy (following the first film’s 92% certified fresh and 85% certified fresh), GOTG3‘s current audience score is 97% on RT (the first 2014 movie received 92% audience score on RT, while GOTG2 was lower at 87%). Advance ticket sales for GOTG3, I hear, have picked up and are nearing the $37M threshold that Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania had on its Thursday eve before a $106.1M 3-day, $120.3M 4-day opening.

We’re also hearing that 62% of GOTG3‘s presales are for tonight or tomorrow. That’s encouraging when juxtaposed to the 65%-71% presales tied to the first Thursday/Friday of the last four Marvel movies.

Charlie Jatinder, Box Office Analyst and Consultant: “Looks like $18M previews for #GotGVol3. Initial WOM Excellent (A). Weekend projected to be $110-120M.”

Significant difference. We’ll just have to wait a little longer to see where it finally lands.

Last edited:
Cap 4 will probably be more important for building much-needed overall MCU hype towards the Avengers event films.

office.gif

Good luck to Thunderbolts and Sam Wilson neXt year. Who asked for those films when they could have went straight to Fantastic 4, Avengers and X-Men.
They clearly thought that the Marvel name will always (or at least for a very long time) sell itself no matter the characters, quality or even marketing around it. I think it's becoming more and more apparent they were wrong.

They clearly thought that the Marvel name will always (or at least for a very long time) sell itself no matter the characters, quality or even marketing around it. I think it's becoming more and more apparent they were wrong.
Need to bring the goods every time as well as the marketing and the rest from now on.

MCU - Thursday Previews

1. Avengers: EG ---------- 60M / OW = 357M
2. Spider-Man: NWH ----- 50M / OW = 260M
3. Avengers: IW ------------ 39M / OW = 257M
4. Doctor Strange: MOM - 36M / OW = 187M
5. Thor: Love and Thunder - 29M / OW = 144M
6. Black Panther: WF ……. 28M / OW = 181M
7. Avengers: AOU ---------- 27M / OW = 191M
8. Black Panther ------------- 25M / OW = 202M
9. Captain America: CW --- 25M / OW = 179M
10. Captain Marvel ------------ 20M / OW = 153M

AM&TW 3 ……………. 17.5M / OW = 106M
GOTG 3 ……………… 17.5M / OW = ???
GOTG 2 ……………… 17M / OW = 146M

Last edited:
MCU - Thursday Previews

1. Avengers: EG ---------- 60M / OW = 357M
2. Spider-Man: NWH ----- 50M / OW = 260M
3. Avengers: IW ------------ 39M / OW = 257M
4. Doctor Strange: MOM - 36M / OW = 187M
5. Thor: Love and Thunder - 29M / OW = 144M
6. Black Panther: WF ……. 28M / OW = 181M
7. Avengers: AOU ---------- 27M / OW = 191M
8. Black Panther ------------- 25M / OW = 202M
9. Captain America: CW --- 25M / OW = 179M
10. Captain Marvel ------------ 20M / OW = 153M

AM&TW 3 ……………. 17.5M / OW = 106M
GOTG 3 ……………… 17.5M / OW = ???
GOTG 2 ……………… 17M / OW = 146M
Nice to see it creep above Vol 2. OW is hopefully at least above Quantumania.

Deadline for whatever reason keeps lowballing things for this film. At one point, they had it only doing $14M for previews and only $90-95M for weekend.

Deadline for whatever reason keeps lowballing things for this film. At one point, they had it only doing $14M for previews and only $90-95M for weekend.

Yet now they have it at $110 million, and people here are talking about empty theaters, so... *shrugs*

Zero hype for those two.
For me what is also mind boggling is we are getting them back to back, and they are both in the summer. If they are inbetween Deadpool or Avengers, that would make more sense, marketing wise. But those movies are literally for supporting characters of Steve Rogers. If Ant-Man and Guardians are barely hitting $100 million in the opening weekend, what else for Sam wilson and Thunderbolts neXt year? And it is looking like Marvel Studios movies are being frontloaded more than ever.

I also care more about Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men (and Blade) more. I'd rather see those films first before Marvel Studios lost the good will from the masses. I want to see a F4 film grossing over $200 million in North America, a Blade grossing over $100 million and a X-Men grossing over $300 million in North America. I don't think Sam Wilson/Thunderbolts are going to help those.

Last edited:
That’s one way of safeguarding the future headlines/box office outlook because it can always be “sold” as an over performer, at least they can say it was better than expected.

Anyway 110M OW it’s ok at best. I don’t really understand how it could’ve turned out like this in the end. A few guesses though…
- Audience fatigue and sour taste for the controversies surrounding the crew and cast.
- GOTG 2 wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
- MCU has been misfiring for a while now leaving the audiences more tentative.
- The footage has been a bit of hit and miss for me personally with them dressing like Teletubbies, going back to Earth at some point, the use of cheap looking rubber muscle suits, the lackluster humor, Adam Warlock not looking very good…
- It’s being advertised as a very emotional finale and not necessarily bombastic or spectacular.
- If it’s just “ok/fine” people might just wait for it on D+.
- James Gunn is heading to DC and i sort of buy the idea that Marvel/Disney might have pulled the foot out of the pedal for this, marketing wise…

Last edited:
At this point it seems like it’s playing very much in line with AM&TW3 so here’s some comparisons:

Thursday Previews:
AM&TW 3 ……………. 17.5M
GOTG 3 ……………… 17.5M

Friday:
AM&TW 3 ……………. 46M
GOTG 3 ……………… “48M”

Opening Weekend:
AM&TW 3 ……………. 106M
GOTG 3 ……………… ???

110M+ OW seems about right.

I think we should cross out $300 million for now.

$250 million should be the goal for now, assuming this has a better final tour.

That’s one way of safeguarding the future headlines/box office outlook because it can always be “sold” as an over performer, at least they can say it was better than expected.

Anyway 110M OW it’s ok at best. I don’t really understand how it could’ve turned out like this in the end. A few guesses though…
- Audience fatigue and sour taste for the controversies surrounding the crew and cast.
- GOTG 2 wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
- MCU has been misfiring for a while now leaving the audiences more tentative.
- The footage has been a bit of hit and miss for me personally with them dressing like Teletubbies, going back to Earth at some point, the use of cheap looking rubber muscle suits, the lackluster humor, Adam Warlock not looking very good…
- It’s being advertised as a very emotional finale and not necessarily bombastic or spectacular.
- If it’s just “ok/fine” people might just wait for it on D+.
- James Gunn is heading to DC and i sort of buy the idea that Marvel/Disney might have pulled the foot out of the pedal for this, marketing wise…

I can say, as an MCU fan, I didn't feel the need to rush out to the theater to see the film, even with the good reviews.

I'm gonna wait to see it on D+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"