Brave and the Bold Casting Thread

I’m normally someone who prefers total reinventions but my dumb fanboy lizard brain is deeply in love with how much Pace just naturally feels like DCAU Batman. Who is maybe my favourite fictional character.
I keep trying (and failing, obviously) to not get too attached but I keep going through the choices and I can't find anyone that'd fit /that/ version of Batman (which I also equate to how he's written in most post-Crisis comics. Batman in the Timmverse JL is practically identical to how he behaves in Justice League International) as well as he would. The fact you can literally take audio of him, put it on animated incarnations and have it match perfectly, it's just... wow. I know part of it is he already had an extremely Bruce Wayne-y role but still, it's just kinda insane.

It also strikes me as reaally matching the vibe that Gunn has been going for so far with his castings. /Particularly/ Corenswet. It's extremely easy to imagine seeing those two interact with a very classic Bruce Wayne-Clark Kent/Batman-Superman dynamic.

Finalist for Superman. Will be in his mid-30s by the time this movie kicks into gear.

Shutterstock_10472828tv.jpg

Finalist for Superman. Will be in his mid-30s by the time this movie kicks into gear.

Shutterstock_10472828tv.jpg
Really dislike for look for it and I checked his acting and it's really nothing special tbh. The Superman connection makes it so it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up auditioning but I doubt he'd get it. Brandon Sklenar is probably the best candidate in the 30s age range.

Really dislike for look for it and I checked his acting and it's really nothing special tbh. The Superman connection makes it so it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up auditioning but I doubt he'd get it. Brandon Sklenar is probably the best candidate in the 30s age range.
The lack of suitable candidates for this role is really discouraging. :sadcat:

That seems a little random. What makes him a good fit? Oliver Jackson Cohen strikes me as the best in the 30s range for a conventional Batman and feels of a piece with the kind of casting Gunn has been doing so far. All the other great 30 something choices are way too distinctive for what they seem to be going for in the DCU even if we didn't know Morrison was the basis.

That seems a little random. What makes him a good fit? Oliver Jackson Cohen strikes me as the best in the 30s range for a conventional Batman and feels of a piece with the kind of casting Gunn has been doing so far. All the other great 30 something choices are way too distinctive for what they seem to be going for in the DCU even if we didn't know Morrison was the basis.
I think OJC is a really good actor. My problem with him and the reason I'm kinda writing him off a bit is that I really don't think his actual performance as Batman would be /that/ different from Pattinson tbh. He thrives on roles that to some extent or another let him wear his vulnerability up his sleeve (Even in the one scene he had in Invisible Man he was still desperate and pathetic despite being creepy) which is something he's talked about on interviews as well. He recently did a profile in which he said he realized around 5 years ago or so he doesn't really fit the "manly action man" image his agents kept trying to push initially and how he always feels awkward on those types of roles.

And granted, that's not to say Batman is not emotionally vulnerable. He is. But the problem is that type of hyper vulnerable, almost insecure in a way type of take on Batman is one that we're already getting on Pattinson. And since exact type of Batman that OJC would be really good at playing is the one Pattinson is already doing, he'd feel really redundant and I'm also not sure that's the take on Batman Gunn would be looking for based on what we know so far of his inspirations.

As for Sklenar, well, he does seem to have a sort of natural charm and presence that's really hard to come by on modern actors. In 1923 he was given all sorts of goofy badass lines that he somehow made believable. A friend of mine compared him to Russell Crowe and I can see that. I can also totally understand why he was cast as Harrison Ford's grandson, as he has that sort of charm. And he hasn't been in much, but I've checked some of the other performances he's done and he does seem to have quite a bit of range, so I think he could bring something cool to the table.

Another thing about Sklenar: He seems deeply random in a way, yeah, until you consider the fact that John Papsidera, who is the DCU casting director, seems to really really like the guy. A bunch of the small roles that he's gotten in his career that then became getting cast on something that's actually massive (Those Sheridan shows may not be talked much in social media, but they are huge) as one of the leads can be attributed to Papsidera, who has been continously pushing for him in projects, and it's something that I do think is something to consider, as it's likely Papsidera would push for him on something like this as well.

And between that and him getting cast as the romantic lead of a somewhat popular YA book, idk, I feel he may be close to a complete unknown now but he's also just at that very very sweet spot where I think he's 1 step away to nabbing something that's actually big (Well, 1923 is already massive but I mean, in terms of making him a name I guess). And I can see it being this, if they really really wanna go younger. Either way I wouldn't be surprised if he ended on the DCU somewhere eventually. He's someone that's easy to overlook but that I really would keep an eye on.

I've already come to accept this as the likeliest candidate:

1422ac9eb6d0bb884851f0e3806ceee697e20764.gif

Elordi would be amazing but he’s super young and soooo close to Pattinson. I also need to hold onto hope he’ll get to be Superman someday.

Would there even be much difference between him and Pattinson?

I'd bet good money on Jacob Elordi never playing Superman or Batman.

Way too young.

Elordi would be amazing but he’s super young and soooo close to Pattinson. I also need to hold onto hope he’ll get to be Superman someday.
Not that I care, but I would like to remind Batfans that Bruce has 3 step kids, a surrogate daughter, and a biological son all before 32 in the comics. :o

1712884204594.gif

Not that I care, but I would like to remind Batfans that Bruce has 3 step kids, a surrogate daughter, and a biological son all before 32 in the comics. :o

View attachment 87053
Only in New 52. Also it's different in comics where yeah you can be careless and handwave nonsensical ages away but also keep drawing Bruce as a mature patriarch vs. In live action where you're relying on getting an actual actor with that visual, which Elordi and the vast majority of actors in their late 20s to early 30s don't have for obvious reasons.

Only in New 52. Also it's different in comics where yeah you can be careless and handwave nonsensical ages away but also keep drawing Bruce as a mature patriarch vs. In live action where you're relying on getting an actual actor with that visual, which Elordi and the vast majority of actors in their late 20s to early 30s don't have for obvious reasons.
Also in Rebirth which is the current continuity.

Also in Rebirth which is the current continuity.
Nah. There the timeline is wonky but they make it clear he and the rest of the heroes have been around for a long while. Also it doesn't really rule out either way the fact that when casting in live action there are practical considerations that don't exist in comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"