Ben Barnes: August 20, 1981 Will be 42-43 when filming. 6'0
Michiel Huisman: July 18, 1981 Will be 43 when filming. 6'1
Luke Evans: April 15, 1979 Will be 45-46 when filming. 6'0
Lee Pace: March 25, 1979. Will be 46-47 when filming. 6'4
Tom Ellis: November 17, 1978. Will be 46-47 when filming. 6'3
Matthew Goode: April 3,1978. Will be 46-47 when filming. 6'2
Jensen Ackles: March 1, 1978. Will be 46-47 when filming. 6'0

Last edited:
You know, we haven't talked about the Michiel Huisman possibility. I think he has a nice look for it:

michiel-huisman-essentia-homme-cover-01.jpg
michiel-huisman-essentia-homme-cover-04.jpg

michiel-huisman-essentia-homme-cover-08.jpg
l-intro-1692746436.jpg

I can't really speak to his acting skills since admittedly I haven't seen him in anything, but he's one of the leads of Snyder's new movie, which I'd expect would put him more on the radar of casting directors, alongside his work on Hill House and GoT. Those who have seen him, what would you guys think?

Great in Hill House but of that cast he’s the second best Batman candidate - wouldn’t be mad at it though m. He’s also the kind of actor I’m expecting if the cast is in the same tenor as Legacy’s.

You know, we haven't talked about the Michiel Huisman possibility. I think he has a nice look for it:

michiel-huisman-essentia-homme-cover-01.jpg
michiel-huisman-essentia-homme-cover-04.jpg

michiel-huisman-essentia-homme-cover-08.jpg
l-intro-1692746436.jpg

I can't really speak to his acting skills since admittedly I haven't seen him in anything, but he's one of the leads of Snyder's new movie, which I'd expect would put him more on the radar of casting directors, alongside his work on Hill House and GoT. Those who have seen him, what would you guys think?

You've never seen Game of Thrones? He was in that for a season or two.

los-angeles-ca-actor-matthew-goode-is-photographed-for-los-angeles-times-on-april-20-2022-in.jpg

Matthew Goode is interesting. He was a finalist for both Superman AND Batman back in the Snyder era, kinda the Nic Hoult of his time. I've only ever seen him in Watchmen, can't say I'm a mega fan of the idea or his looks but he is somewhat intriguing.

Huisman is alright. Serviceable is probably the best way I can describe his acting. But he doesn't really standout in anything he's in for me. Goode on the other hand always stands out for me, so I wouldn't be mad if he finally got his shot. He does seem more villainy to me though.

Still, if we're talking actors who were in some way in the running for Batman at a point, Josh Hartnett has the edge for me. He's classically handsome in the way that looks like he could've been born in some much older generation. So he captures that aristocratic, old-money feeling for me. At the same time he has these really intense eyes that give him a sorta playboy smoulder. Definitely zaddy vibes haha. And all while coming off slightly distant and sort of on the edge in his performances. He doesn't outwardly look nuts in the way that Pattinson's Bruce does (and that works beautifully for that film), but he certainly feels a bit off in a way you can't quite place. It's something I really enjoyed about his performances in Black Mirror and Penny Dreadful. You can just feel he's, at all times, a moment away from snapping and there's no way of telling what will set him off. I like a Bruce/Batman that has that heir about him. He's an enigma and sort of unapproachable. But his charm disarms you and tells your brain he's not as dangerous as he seems.

If they want someone in their 40s who isn't going to cost them half their budget, Hartnett is the guy imo.

Huisman is alright. Serviceable is probably the best way I can describe his acting. But he doesn't really standout in anything he's in for me. Goode on the other hand always stands out for me, so I wouldn't be mad if he finally got his shot. He does seem more villainy to me though.

Still, if we're talking actors who were in some way in the running for Batman at a point, Josh Hartnett has the edge for me. He's classically handsome in the way that looks like he could've been born in some much older generation. So he captures that aristocratic, old-money feeling for me. At the same time he has these really intense eyes that give him a sorta playboy smoulder. Definitely zaddy vibes haha. And all while coming off slightly distant and sort of on the edge in his performances. He doesn't outwardly look nuts in the way that Pattinson's Bruce does (and that works beautifully for that film), but he certainly feels a bit off in a way you can't quite place. It's something I really enjoyed about his performances in Black Mirror and Penny Dreadful. You can just feel he's, at all times, a moment away from snapping and there's no way of telling what will set him off. I like a Bruce/Batman that has that heir about him. He's an enigma and sort of unapproachable. But his charm disarms you and tells your brain he's not as dangerous as he seems.

If they want someone in their 40s who isn't going to cost them half their budget, Hartnett is the guy imo.
Could easily see Hartnett being wanted by both John Logan and James Gunn. Like I said before, since Hartnett was a lead in Penny Dreadful I wouldn't even be surprised if the script was written with him in mind. Him and Pace both strike me as very very similar types with their heights, voices and the overall vibe they give nowadays. And since Pace strikes me as the likeliest to be the type Gunn wants then Hartnett would fit there too.

The only caveat, and it's kind of a big one, is that I'm completely unsure of whether Hartnett would be interested. I heard that he doesn't like fame very much or being in the spotlight that much and this would obviously change that. He said he regretted turning down Begins back in the day but idk if that'd be enough to get him to sign on in this nowadays.

And even if he was open to it, would he be /that/ enthusiastic about it? I know it's kind of a dumb thing to consider since at the end of the day acting is a job but still. Every actor that Gunn has cast so far in Legacy has seemed extremely excited about the prospect and I kinda don't think that's a coincidence since it obviously works better to have people actually excited about their roles and the 10 year plan if you're gonna do something like this. I'm unsure whether Hartnett would be that excited as even when he said the thing about regretting passing on Batman Begins it was more along the lines of "Man I wish I had taken it because then maybe Nolan would've considered me for The Prestige" rather than him being interested in the role.

Could easily see Hartnett being wanted by both John Logan and James Gunn. Like I said before, since Hartnett was a lead in Penny Dreadful I wouldn't even be surprised if the script was written with him in mind. Him and Pace both strike me as very very similar types with their heights, voices and the overall vibe they give nowadays. And since Pace strikes me as the likeliest to be the type Gunn wants then Hartnett would fit there too.

The only caveat, and it's kind of a big one, is that I'm completely unsure of whether Hartnett would be interested. I heard that he doesn't like fame very much or being in the spotlight that much and this would obviously change that. He said he regretted turning down Begins back in the day but idk if that'd be enough to get him to sign on in this nowadays.

And even if he was open to it, would he be /that/ enthusiastic about it? I know it's kind of a dumb thing to consider since at the end of the day acting is a job but still. Every actor that Gunn has cast so far in Legacy has seemed extremely excited about the prospect and I kinda don't think that's a coincidence since it obviously works better to have people actually excited about their roles and the 10 year plan if you're gonna do something like this. I'm unsure whether Hartnett would be that excited as even when he said the thing about regretting passing on Batman Begins it was more along the lines of "Man I wish I had taken it because then maybe Nolan would've considered me for The Prestige" rather than him being interested in the role.
I guaran-goddamn-tee you John Logan won't have a role in the casting. That is never in the purview of a work for hire screenwriter which John Logan absolutely is. Again, I think he's one of the better studio journeymen out there but you are wildly overestimating what a creative force he is.

Hartnett feels like a very realistic choice for me. If they go older this Batman sounds like a great gig for a later career actor. Good money, probably a lot of your work will be done by stuntmen/CG, etc. Hartnett or a Hartnett "type" is where my money would be if it's an older name actor.

I guaran-goddamn-tee you John Logan won't have a role in the casting. That is never in the purview of a work for hire screenwriter which John Logan absolutely is. Again, I think he's one of the better studio journeymen out there but you are wildly overestimating what a creative force he is.
Eh. I don't think he'd be the final say or anything but I mean, he'd at least have some sort of voice just like how Goyer had a voice with Nolan when casting Batman Begins and pushed hard for Jake Gyllenhaal who became the second finalist. And idk. I watched a video about John Logan the other day where he explained his process and all that and he always works extremely closely with both the director and the producers even when they go down to shooting or when they do rehearsals or they do readings. He's said that throughout his career he's always been allowed to have that voice and that much participation in the process to the point he even openly collaborates with actors as well. And seeing how Gunn made a whole deal about saying that writers would have a big voice in the DCU I think that he will for this also. At least to the extent they'd ask him "Hey who would you like?"
Hartnett feels like a very realistic choice for me. If they go older this Batman sounds like a great gig for a later career actor. Good money, probably a lot of your work will be done by stuntmen/CG, etc. Hartnett or a Hartnett "type" is where my money would be if it's an older name actor.

Yeah the money is one thing but Hartnett is no stranger to turning down roles regardless of the money, and I do think that the "Hartnett doesn't like fame" combined with the fact that maybe Gunn wouldn't want an actor that exclusively sees being Batman as an obligation or a job when all the other actors he's cast so far see being cast in this DCU as a dream come true makes it so that Hartnett could have some major caveats. I do agree he's probably the "type" they want (and his type is also Lee Pace's so, you know. ;) )

Honestly, it probably will be Lee Pace. There's a lot there that's been mentioned already to where it kinda makes too much sense. And nothing about the DCU casting so far makes me think Gunn will be taking any huge swings in terms of casting anyway. All that said, I do like Pace. He's got that quality that Pattinson, Bale, and Keaton all have where they could've just as easily played the Joker. That's always a good sign imo.

Yuck!! Barfing at the thought.

Hartnett would be great
Hartnett would be adequate but Pace is a wildly more interesting actor for this role and just in general. Hartnett is replaceable with just about any other actor in his age group, it’d be like having Affleck in the role but without all the meta elements to Ben’s casting that made it interesting.

I feel like your frustration at the fact everyone else loves Lee Pace is what’s actually making you want to vom. You’ve only gotten more militant in this stance the more pushback you’ve received.

Pace is clearly the guy. I have no interest in this movie and actively don’t want it made but if they cast Pace I’ll actually start caring.

If Gunn is amenable to casting older actors (say, 45 and up), then Pace has it in the bag. If not, then I can see Ethan Peck landing the part. He checks a lot of the same boxes as Pace: impressive stature, commanding presence, booming voice, charismatic, proficient at playing serious roles with dry-wit humor. I can say more, but you get the idea. Both choices seem like a no-brainer to me.

If Gunn is amenable to casting older actors (say, 45 and up), then Pace has it in the bag. If not, then I can see Ethan Peck landing the part. He checks a lot of the same boxes as Pace: impressive stature, commanding presence, booming voice, charismatic, proficient at playing serious roles with dry-wit humor. I can say more, but you get the idea. Both choices seem like a no-brainer to me.
Both Peck and Oliver Jackson Cohen seem equally likely to me if they reaaally wanna go younger (which I doubt). I'm still torn on them though. Can't deny they're both the best realistic picks on their age range, but they both still lack a certain "gravitas" that I think is important for a Batman with a whole Bat-Family to have. If this was a movie about Dick Grayson or Jason Todd as Robin I'd be more easily sold, but idk. The fact they are both so clearly the same age Robert Pattinson is continues to be a turn-off for me.

A friend of mine suggested Oliver Jackson Cohen as The Question and I think that'd fit him better.

Funny thing is that I just found a short Ethan Peck did where he plays a character type that's veeeery similar to the character Lee played in Halt and Catch Fire.

Both Peck and Oliver Jackson Cohen seem equally likely to me if they reaaally wanna go younger (which I doubt). I'm still torn on them though. Can't deny they're both the best realistic picks on their age range, but they both still lack a certain "gravitas" that I think is important for a Batman with a whole Bat-Family to have. If this was a movie about Dick Grayson or Jason Todd as Robin I'd be more easily sold, but idk. The fact they are both so clearly the same age Robert Pattinson is continues to be a turn-off for me.

A friend of mine suggested Oliver Jackson Cohen as The Question and I think that'd fit him better.
I don't know. At age 36, Tyler Hoechlin exudes plenty of gravitas in the father figure role he plays on Superman and Lois. Peck and OJC should be able to pull off a similar performance, IMO. These kinds of things are a bit subjective, anyway.

I don't know. At age 36, Tyler Hoechlin exudes plenty of gravitas in the father figure role he plays on Superman and Lois. Peck and OJC should be able to pull off a similar performance, IMO. These kinds of things are a bit subjective, anyway.
In that show he's playing a father figure exclusively to teenagers though. I'm not too concerned about whether they'd be able to play a convincing father against Damian—it's the Nightwing and potentially Red Hood portion that I'm worried about though lol Granted they could reaaally age down both of them or have them be played by mega babyfaces but ehhh, I'd rather them not do that. Also idk. Tyler Hoechlin looks like he could easily be in his 40s to me. He's always looked older than he is and I don't necessarily get that vibe from OJC or Ethan.

I guess another hang-up I have is I'm not fully sold on either of their looks in general. But granted, that's a bit more subjective. I thought I was sold at least in regards to Peck, but seeing him in motion as a businessman figure on that video I just sent made me double check a little bit lol And OJC looks kinda off at times in a way I don't fully like for the character. I do realize that's the sort of thing that will depend on each person.

I will say in regards to Peck that he appeared as a recurring character in Penny Dreadful City of Angels, another show that John Logan showran, so he is in the radar of at least someone of the production.

But I do hope Gunn goes older, it's frankly the best way to go all things considered and I can't really think of any reason not to. The whole "franchise longevity" argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny at all. Even Marvel, the kings of being obsessed with franchise longevity, just had no problem casting 48 year old Pedro Pascal for Reed Richards. RDJ did the vast majority of his tenure as Iron Man (7 movies since Avengers) past 45, Paul Rudd got cast when he was 45, etc.

Last edited:
In that show he's playing a father figure exclusively to teenagers though. I'm not too concerned about whether they'd be able to play a convincing father against Damian—it's the Nightwing and potentially Red Hood portion that I'm worried about though lol Granted they could reaaally age down both of them or have them be played by mega babyfaces but ehhh, I'd rather them not do that. Also idk. Tyler Hoechlin looks like he could easily be in his 40s to me. He's always looked older than he is and I don't necessarily get that vibe from OJC or Ethan.

I guess another hang-up I have is I'm not fully sold on either of their looks in general. But granted, that's a bit more subjective. I thought I was sold at least in regards to Peck, but seeing him in motion as a businessman figure on that video I just sent made me double check a little bit lol And OJC looks kinda off at times in a way I don't fully like for the character. I do realize that's the sort of thing that will depend on each person.

I will say in regards to Peck that he appeared as a recurring character in Penny Dreadful City of Angels, another show that John Logan showran, so he is in the radar of at least someone of the production.

But I do hope Gunn goes older, it's frankly the best way to go all things considered and I can't really think of any reason not to. The whole "franchise longevity" argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny at all. Even Marvel, the kings of being obsessed with franchise longevity, just had no problem casting 48 year old Pedro Pascal for Reed Richards. RDJ did the vast majority of his tenure as Iron Man (7 movies since Avengers) past 45, Paul Rudd got cast when he was 45, etc.
See, I don't think the approach to playing opposite a 21-year-old like Alex Garfin should be significantly different from playing against a 28- or 30-year-old. Do you know what I mean? Like, if you were to replace Garfin (in Superman and Lois) with a much older actor, it wouldn't really have that much of an impact on Tyler's performance. Mannerisms and the like would more or less remain the same. I do agree that his older appearance helps to sell the performance a little more, but OJC has a mature look to him as well, IMO. Peck looks younger, but who cares when his voice sounds like that? lol

I totally hear you on this point. I'm not completely sold on them, either, to be honest. Why is it so hard to find another perfect Batman?

goddammit-circus.gif

Yeah, I'm hoping that Gunn is willing to cast older actors as well. It's just that the more objective side of me keeps saying, "Not gonna happen, Arms. Not gonna happen."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"