• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that Brie Larson's natural speaking voice or is she doing that for this role? It's hella annoying

She's not doing a voice. That's her voice, lol.

People on Twitter are sharing a leaked low quality picture of Carol and little Monica... not sure I can post it. They look happy and I love them
Looking forward to this. Where can I see the pic?

I have to admit she sounds to me a tad like Leslie in Parks and Recreation.

It is a bit higher pitched than all the other roles I've seen her in
Jump Street and Community she definitely had a a lot more bass to her voice... Scott Pilgrim she was whispery, but still at a lower pitch

But it ain't Leslie Knope high

Y’all are hearing things, IMO. When she speaks softly, it naturally goes higher than when she’s speaking forcefully or being snarky or whatever. And the most-used clips in these trailers/promos just happen to be moments when she’s speaking more softly. She’s not doing anything to her voice, just speaking how she speaks.

Scott Pilgrim’s the only time I’ve ever heard her alter her voice for a role.

I dunno, I've heard her speak softly before, like I said she practically whispered through Scott Pilgrim (just with a healthy amount of vocal fry)
it's not major, at all, just slightly softer and maybe a half step higher in pitch, which is perhaps not what people might picture for a somewhat cocky military woman

Sounds exactly the same as always to me, and I’ve been watching a lot of her work this past week. And cocky military women come with all sorts of voices. I come from a military family and we don’t have any deep-voiced ladies, lol. My Air Force cousin definitely has a higher-pitched voice than Brie. People can get past their stereotypes and deal.

Last edited:
Na I mean, i don't have an issue with her voice in this at all, but when her narration started in the trailer, It was a little jarring, like "Who's talking? That is not Brie Larson"
but granted, I've also only seen her in maybe 4 other things before this, so maybe in some of her older more teen-oriented fair, or dramatic stuff like Room, she sounded more like this... I'm only really familiar with her comedy work

And cocky military women come with all sorts of voices. I come from a military family and we don’t have any deep-voiced ladies, lol. My Air Force cousin definitely has a higher-pitched voice than Brie. People can get past their stereotypes and deal.

Oh without a doubt, but people have their perceptions and stereotypes of how different people act and speak... how often do you hear mild-mannered military men in movies?? Never. So hearing a soft voice with a seemingly hardened character can be strange for the audience... which is what I think happened here, some people were just caught off guard by the choice of voice

Last edited:
Don’t know what to tell ya, BG. I recognized her voice in the trailer right away and hear no difference in her voice between this and her other work, comedy or drama, except of course Scott Pilgrim, where she was obviously doing a voice.

well no problem, just have to agree to disagree
its all good though, won't impact my enjoyment of the film one iota :D

Honestly, in the movie it sounds like her normal voice to me. I am not hearing any difference.

Na I mean, i don't have an issue with her voice in this at all, but when her narration started in the trailer, It was a little jarring, like "Who's talking? That is not Brie Larson"
but granted, I've also only seen her in maybe 4 other things before this, so maybe in some of her older more teen-oriented fair, or dramatic stuff like Room, she sounded more like this... I'm only really familiar with her comedy work

Oh without a doubt, but people have their perceptions and stereotypes of how different people act and speak... how often do you hear mild-mannered military men in movies?? Never. So hearing a soft voice with a seemingly hardened character can be strange for the audience... which is what I think happened here, some people were just caught off guard by the choice of voice
A Few Good Men has all types of dudes as military men (even Kevin Pollack lol), and Cuba Gooding Jr, with his high-pitched soft voice has played military men on multiple occasions, so it happens. But I won’t disagree that some folks are thrown off by that, even though the voice ain’t a choice. ;)

ahh true true, I'll give you Cuba, he kinda just always sounds like he has laryngitis, lol

Honestly, in the movie it sounds like her normal voice to me. I am not hearing any difference.

idk.. maybe y'all are right and that is her normal voice, perhaps I just got used to her in Jump Street where she added a little extra bass to it, maybe that was the false voice.. it just sounds very different than that movie to me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back