The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 2: The Tribes of Tatooine (Spoiler Discussion)

Like I said earlier, I had issues with the pilot because I felt like it was a bit poorly put together and wasn't really telling much. Specifically, I thought this bit of story didn't really worked on its own, when cut that way.
Well, after this second episode that feeling is even stronger as it seems like last week's episode should definitely have been attached to this second one to form a true full chapter. Maybe a one hour special would have been wiser to start this new series ... Anyway, I'm warming up to what's brought to the table now.

In details, both storylines, in present time and the flashbacks have now set some things to follow.
In the first, the two Hutts an the Wookie bounty hunter were pure classic Star Wars. I really loved seeing that exchange between Boba and the slugs. That Boba felt in the continuity of that character so quickly but efficiently introduce in the OT (I'm not a big Extended Universe guy...).
The story with the Tusken was more enjoyable this time for me, even if I'm not completely sure of that development for that tribes. If the series is doing pretty great bringing them some humanity, I never really drew the parallel between them and the Amerindians and think it was a bit too caricatural in some parts. But again, the whole was pretty entertaining and I now understand why Boba stated he want to "rule with respect".
The series is doing a nice work developping its main protagonist but I sometimes feels like we're heading at a quite drastic reinvention of Boba Fett. We'll see, if it's well made, I'll be aboard.

Technically, I had no problem with the paceof the episode this time around. I love the design work for the mayor and the train conductor. Some brief VFX shots were a bit off during the heist, but it was honestly not that bad and expected for a TV show anyway. I still think the lighting and photography could go for more bold choices in some parts, but nothing is bad looking.
The music, for now, isn't very memorable for me. But I'm starting to understand better the mood chosen for the main theme and it started to regularly pop in my head those last days...

At the end of that episode, I was quite ready to just play another one, so yeah, I'm looking forward to what's coming next !

Last edited:
All of you guys complaining about the Tusken stuff are nuts. I really don’t get it.

Pretty much the general consensus I’ve seen for this show so far has been pretty positive. If there was ever an example of internet opinion not reflecting real life, it’s this show.

Well, based on his conversation with Jennifer Beals in episode 1, he’s running a protection racket.

True.

But lets get some cool crimes going. Maybe some Beskar trafficking or Spice distribution.

All of you guys complaining about the Tusken stuff are nuts. I really don’t get it.

Pretty much the general consensus I’ve seen for this show so far has been pretty positive. If there was ever an example of internet opinion not reflecting real life, it’s this show.

I think the general reaction is mixed leaning toward positive. I've seen a lot of people say they like it but they're not hooked like they were with Mando.

Exactly. If they want him to be a hero, that’s fine. But then they should have made a show about him going on an actually path of redemption. Making him a crime lord who doesn’t actually commit crimes makes no sense.

"My name is Boba Fett. For five years I was stranded on a planet with only one goal... survive. Now I will fulfill my father's dying wish... to use a list of names he left me, to bring down those who are poisoning my galaxy. From a life of excess to a life pursuing justice, to keep my loved ones safe, I must work in secret and pretend to be someone else. To do this, I must become someone else. I must become something else."

I don’t hate the Tusken stuff but I’m more interested in the “present day” story. I want to see if Boba actually becomes a crime lord.

I am less invested as of now on the present stuff. Simply cause nothing is happening, and what little has happened is people telling Boba he is being too nice or is boring. At least the Tusken stuff had cool action that didn't make Boba look like an old man.

I am less invested as of now on the present stuff. Simply cause nothing is happening, and what little has happened is people telling Boba he is being too nice or is boring. At least the Tusken stuff had cool action that didn't make Boba look like an old man.

That’s true, yeah. I guess in my case, I never found Boba Fett that interesting in the first place but I really like Fennec so more stuff in the present would mean seeing more of her. Also the Hutt twins seem like cool antagonists.

True.

But lets get some cool crimes going. Maybe some Beskar trafficking or Spice distribution.

I think the general reaction is mixed leaning toward positive. I've seen a lot of people say they like it but they're not hooked like they were with Mando.

We did see him rob a train this week as well, not exactly non-criminal behaviour but can you even commit a crime in a lawless land like Tatooine, isnt everything done there a bit dodgy. :funny:

As for the Tusken/flash back stuff, if its like episode 1 then yeah I can see the complaints but if its like ep2 then bring it on, that was good as Star Wars stuff as your going to get for me.

I can see the frustration though as we are beginning to get some interesting and cool stuff in the present day with Jabba's cousins and dat Wookie :mrk: but its all very much a tease and short at the moment, it feels like Boba and Shand and those two gangsta Gamorrean's have wondered up and down the same road twice in two episodes and thats about it.:funny:

I feel we are in for a fair few flashbacks yet and may not be done witch them to the end of this season, which to me will be fine as long as its good stuff and comes together in the end but may frustrate some. Perhaps season 2 will be more like what people wanted from this show, we shall see how things pan out I guess.

the 'ninja raider' was played by a stuntwoman named Joanna Bennett who was in Captain Marvel, Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

As the new Crime Lord/Daimyo of Tatooine...Boba needs to actually ya know...commit some crimes.

Why? Crimelords don't commit crimes, they get paid by others for allowing *them* to commit crimes. ;)

Or more seriously, the difference between "crimelord" and "ruling noble" on Tatooine seems to be non-existent.

As the new Crime Lord/Daimyo of Tatooine...Boba needs to actually ya know...commit some crimes.
I guess as the lord he will be making money from the activities of all those he controls rather than doing smaller crimes himself. I can see some turf wars coming though as he builds his numbers up.

Maybe you‘re nuts and we aren’t. But how about no one is nuts and people just have different tastes. Think about that…
Fine. :(
I think I’ll be more interested in the present day stuff once I get to know more about his character and his motives for his actions from the flashbacks. As of now, it’s enjoyable, but not the most captivating part of the show for me.
That’s true, yeah. I guess in my case, I never found Boba Fett that interesting in the first place but I really like Fennec so more stuff in the present would mean seeing more of her. Also the Hutt twins seem like cool antagonists.
I agree on never finding Boba much of a interesting character. Hence, why the flashback stuff is so important and I dig it more than the present day stuff. We’re getting more into his headspace.

Though, I don’t disagree on Fennec. More more Ming-Na Wen is never a bad thing. :cwink:

Plus, we can still get a flashback of Boba saving her life.

Fine. :(

I think I’ll be more interested in the present day stuff once I get to know more about his character and his motives for his actions from the flashbacks. As of now, it’s enjoyable, but not the most captivating part of the show for me.

I agree on never finding Boba much of a interesting character. Hence, why the flashback stuff is so important and I dig it more than the present day stuff. We’re getting more into his headspace.

Though, I don’t disagree on Fennec. More more Ming-Na Wen is never a bad thing. :cwink:

Plus, we can still get a flashback of Boba saving her life.

Yeah, I’m hoping Fennec gets her own spin-off after this. I’d even be down for a prequel series where we explore her more villainous past.

Exactly. If they want him to be a hero, that’s fine. But then they should have made a show about him going on an actually path of redemption. Making him a crime lord who doesn’t actually commit crimes makes no sense.
They already have a hero Mando show. They didn't need another one, and they certainly didn't need to turn a POS like Boba into a good guy. This show is pure corporate milking. The equivalent of making a show about Luke becoming a sith cultists if Acolyte is successful.

I'd actually be interested in a show on the Tuskens after this ep.

Why? Crimelords don't commit crimes, they get paid by others for allowing *them* to commit crimes. ;)

Or more seriously, the difference between "crimelord" and "ruling noble" on Tatooine seems to be non-existent.

I was told once "You never wanna be just a runner, soldier or pimp... You wanna be the Mack. The Mack tells all those others when and where they can ply their trades."

Okay... Second episode...

After a feature film's worth of content with two epiosodes... I don't know what to think about this show or the story it's telling. Really.

In the ep 1 thread I noted how off that chapter felt. Like it was half or a portion of a story. A lot of questions that I expected at least some answers to. At the end of ep 2 I still am asking things that I thought we'd NEED some insight into.

Don't get this twisted as a slam of the show in total. Morrison is always magnetic, Wen is cool AF and this is a great looking show but I am not hooked yet by the story or how they are telling it after over two hours of story.

I still don't know as of this epiosde why Fett has turned to being a crime boss over a manhunter? I did like a peak at the Hutt cabal to a degree but there's still so much we are in the dark about in terms of the politics of crime Boba is dealing with as well as the stakes in terms of who can or will do what to whom. Also, a man tallking so much about honor and respect while being a crime boss? Okay but... You gotta make that work with the character's forceful pronouncments and attitude. How can they balance that?

In this episode we see Fett is somewhat concerned with the Tuskens giving us the honorable warrior. Which is fine. A tale of a warrior finding rebirth in another warrior culture is a tale as old as time and I'm okay but... Here again are questions. Why did Boba not leave when he was capable? Why did that Rodian NOT want to leave? Why did the Tuskens save him and keep him in the first place? Now I really, really like how they are playing with the Tuskens giving them depth and linking the two, our bad ass bounty hunter and the indigenous people of Tattooine, is not a thing I would have come up with but I like it. Still I don't "get" the whys exactly not to mention other odd things. The lizard gaffi quest was... I know, it was filmed well but since Fett used that stray branch to fight in ep one I was like... Where did that come from? Where are there trees on this planet? And in this ep? Apparently you can find them on a LSDard vision quest you were NEVER told to go on in the first place. Was it a cool idea, Boba goes on journey to find his gaffi stick? Yeah. But... It was pretty opaque no matter how good it looked.

I would have thought that if you are gonna have Boba hang with the Tuskens and make it clear he could leave at any time then show us why? I would toatlly accept that he was too weak at first and comes to appreciate them or that he feels the NEED to stay because he's never fallen in battle like that before and requires time to get his head together after a blow to the ego. But so far we aren't told anything.

I will say... Is this part of building up the Tuskens for some other project? Say, Obi? Vader in cannon does go to the world of his birth to rain hell on the Tuskens annually. The same world Obi is on so... I could see the Tuskens possibly playing a part in that project. Ben is on world for years, gets asked by the Tuskens to battle some shadowy evil they claim attacks them and it turns out it's Vader... Just a thought.

All in all... So far this seems like they didn't have as explicit an idea of what to do with Fett as compared to how tight Mando seasons one and two were. They have broad strokes but so far that seems all the show is offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"