The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 7: In The Name of Honor (Spoiler Discussion)

One of my biggest issues with this season was the lack of growth for Boba's character. In the Mandalorian, we see how Din gradually changes from his time with Grogu.

Personally, I think it would have been great to see a flashback of Boba's life under Cad Bane's tutelage. It would really show the contrast when compared to his time spent with the Tusken Raiders (e.g. self preservation vs working with a tribe).
That would have been great to see. We could have seen a proper mean version of him with what he was learning from Bane and then seen the growth to what he is now.

As for Boba Fett's backstory and his character trajectory, that pandora's box was already opened by George Lucas with the prequels and further exacerbated by Clone Wars.

I was never happy with clone Boba Fett/Jango Fett stuff. I never thought it was integrated that well that you have this kid clone who watches his father get decapitated by a Jedi, and there's never really any payoff for that setup. So years later, Boba Fett grows up to be a worthless bounty hunter who works for Darth Vader and gets beaten by a blind Han Solo on Jabba's sail barge and falls into the Sarlacc pit.

But a show has to work with what it's given. This is the storyline and backstory that's been laid forth.

My thought with this show is that Boba's change was brought about by getting eaten by the Sarlacc and being adopted into the Tusken tribe. Boba realizes that he's done taking orders from scoundrels and now he's going into business for himself. I think the scenes with Fennec nicely demonstrated and established that.

I think they could've maybe done a bit more with the respect that while Boba doesn't resent his father, he's ready to step out of his father's shadow and stop doing what he was doing because he was trying to follow his father's example. His father's way of doing business got him killed, and it almost did the same for Boba Fett.

Can’t believe we lost the Gamorrean guards. :csad

They were done dirty.

A victim of this episodes odd and quite dumb action and pacing. What exactly was the plan of putting two guards on the edge of a cliff with nothing but melee weapons to defend themselves against what was bound to be a greater number of enemies, the outcome was pretty obvious from the start for them, they had nowhere else to go but being pushed back over the edge.

You see I didn't find it to be a bad show at all. I think by episode 4 I was fully invested into the basic gist of the Boba Fett show and Boba Fett establishing his reign as a crime lord.

I f'n hate this development. I saw no point to undo it that quickly.

That makes 1 of us lol

As for Cad Bane. . . okay, I noted in the second season of Mandalorian that all the various callback character appearances still totally worked in the show. You didn't need to have seen Ahsoka or Bo-Katan before to understand who they were, what they were doing, or how they fit into the story.

With Cad Bane, this isn't really the case. He's clearly supposed to be important, but who he is and why he's important is left super vague. . . which is a problem when huge chunks of the finale hinge on his relationship with Boba Fett.

Does anyone else think the dialogue between Boba and Cad is really bad during their fight?
Bad and delivered poorly. Especially by Boba.

“Boba:I’m not a little boy any longer and you are an old man.

Cad:I’m still faster than you.

Boba:That may be, but I have armor.”

That whole exchange is BAD

As for Cad Bane. . . okay, I noted in the second season of Mandalorian that all the various callback character appearances still totally worked in the show. You didn't need to have seen Ahsoka or Bo-Katan before to understand who they were, what they were doing, or how they fit into the story.

With Cad Bane, this isn't really the case. He's clearly supposed to be important, but who he is and why he's important is left super vague. . . which is a problem when huge chunks of the finale hinge on his relationship with Boba Fett.
Was talking about this with someone else earlier as well. The BOBF cameo appearances are more like the ones in Bad Batch. They don't work without context. Mando did much better with throwing in these characters, but giving just enough context, while still progressing the story at hand.

I f'n hate this development. I saw no point to undo it that quickly.
The current rumor is that Andor is airing late this year, where people originally thought Mando would, and then Mando early 2023. At which point it will be a long while since Mando and Grogu split up in Dec 2020. That's probably the main (and only) reason they got back together during this show.

Last edited:
They were done dirty.

A victim of this episodes odd and quite dumb action and pacing. What exactly was the plan of putting two guards on the edge of a cliff with nothing but melee weapons to defend themselves against what was bound to be a greater number of enemies, the outcome was pretty obvious from the start for them, they had nowhere else to go but being pushed back over the edge.

Those Gamorrean guards and Black Krrsantan standing out in the open really had me scratching my head man because it didn't seem well planned at all and in the end, it just looks like the whole thing was super incompetent.

I saw Robert Myer Burnett talk about the same thing and I couldn't help but agree because as much as I was thoroughly enjoying the episode, I couldn't get over at how rushed it felt at times.

I was a bit disappointed to see the Gamorrean guards go out like that since they were probably the only few characters in the show that were actually established well and that I had somekind of attachment too.

I enjoyed the show overall, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement for a Season 2 if it happens and hopefully it isn't nearly as messy or unorganized as this first season was.

Was talking about this with someone else earlier as well. The BOBF cameo appearances are more like the ones in Bad Batch. They don't work without context. Mando did much better with throwing in these characters, but giving just enough context, while still progressing the story at hand.

The current rumor is that Andor is airing late this year, where people originally thought Mando would, and then Mando early 2023. At which point it will be a long while since Mando and Grogu split up in Dec 2020. That's probably the main (and only) reason they got back together during this show.

They shouldn't have gotten back together at all.

I think this would have been partly fixed had Cad Bane first appeared earlier in the show. I agree as is, it doesn't entirely work.

I also have to say, after this show I like Boba Fett less in general. I am not gonna act like he was my favorite character in Star Wars. He wasn't. But I think this show actively made him less interesting

I'm still waiting for the book from the "Book of Bobba Fett" to make an appearance. In hindsight, the producers probably should have called this show "The House of Bobba Fett" instead.

I'm still waiting for the book from the "Book of Bobba Fett" to make an appearance. In hindsight, the producers probably should have called this show "The House of Bobba Fett" instead.
Maybe they made a book rather than a show for those 2 episodes where Boba went missing.

Those Gamorrean guards and Black Krrsantan standing out in the open really had me scratching my head man because it didn't seem well planned at all and in the end, it just looks like the whole thing was super incompetent.

I saw Robert Myer Burnett talk about the same thing and I couldn't help but agree because as much as I was thoroughly enjoying the episode, I couldn't get over at how rushed it felt at times.

I was a bit disappointed to see the Gamorrean guards go out like that since they were probably the only few characters in the show that were actually established well and that I had somekind of attachment too.

I enjoyed the show overall, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement for a Season 2 if it happens and hopefully it isn't nearly as messy or unorganized as this first season was.

Yeah there was just a lot of strange decisions and structuring of the action in this episode all round. Deciding to defend a bombed out shell of a building in the middle of the street, open on 3 sides to be attacked from seemed odd when they had a fortified palace at home, everyone of their group spread out in carious locations, outnumbered and standing in the middle of the street in broad daylight or standing so far away on top of a cliff nobody could get to you to lend support, just odd all round.

Yeah it wasnt all bad but I just expected the action to be strong throughout this series and dont get me wrong we got some really good action, the Rancor fight in this episode, the Train heist early on in the show and Mando's entrance etc but the episodes directed by Rodriguez just felt off and weird for some reason, may not have been his fault but just the writing for those episodes he was involved in didnt mesh or something.

I do hope we get a season 2 but yeah there's lots they need to work on to get it up to the Mando's level for example, shifting focus away from the main character half way through a mini season is jarring to the extreme.

Maybe they made a book rather than a show for those 2 episodes where Boba went missing.

Agreed. Honestly, any viewer could just go into episodes 5-7 directly after watching the Season 2 finale of TM and not feel lost at all.

What's even more baffling is that they had Bobba Fett invest so much time in becoming the new crime lord (e.g., benevolent ruler) of Tatooine, only for him to tell Fennec that they're not right for the job.

Last edited:
Agreed. Honestly, any viewer could just go into episodes 5-7 directly after watching the Season 2 finale of TM and not feel lost at all.

What's even more baffling is that they Bobba Fett invest so much time in becoming the new crime lord (e.g., benevolent ruler) of Tatooine, only for him to tell Fennec that they're not right for the job.
This show doesn’t really have its own identity with the middle part cut out. We got a finale and some slow build up without the bit in between. I’m not the biggest TV show watcher but I’ve never seen anything like this where the main character got sidelined to such an extent and not in favour of one of their own supporting characters, in favour of a lead character who already has their own successful show of 2 seasons with more to come.

As for them not being right to rule, as Fennec said, “If not us, then who”. I didn’t have a problem with that part given her response.

They shouldn't have gotten back together at all.
Disney wasn't going to let three years worth of merchandise opportunities pass them by, I'm afraid. If Mando S3 had come out as intended, they probably would've reunited pretty late in that season, which would've felt more natural at least.

Fair enough. I have seen some rumors about the show. Apparently there were 8 episodes and 5-8 were cut before shooting. They replaced 2 with episodes from season 3 of The mandalorian, 1 Boba episode was cut due to time, and the finale was rewritten. All rumors, but it does seem like 5&6 were the Mandalorian episodes.

I am hoping there will be a Disney gallery for Boba just to see what went on behind the scenes. Though I don't think they want to share their problems. If they do release anything it will be very complimentary.
It's pretty clear they had problems, but the true scope of it, we'll probably never know.

Disney wasn't going to let three years worth of merchandise opportunities pass them by, I'm afraid. If Mando S3 had come out as intended, they probably would've reunited pretty late in that season, which would've felt more natural at least.

That's bad.

Remember that scene where Boba uses Slave 1 to blast the bike gang with impressive accuracy ?

Golly, I wonder if turning up in Slave 1, and using it to destroy the battle droids would have been more effective than say, riding up on a barely controllable monster, that later tries to eat your allies ?

Mind you, it's the same guy who decided that a juvenile delinquent is better qualified to make tactical decisions about where to make a stand - kind of like how Boba has been kind of incompetent for most of the season, while Fennec saves his ass - maybe the show should have been about her.

I feel like with a bit more thought this could have been epic, but kind of came off half baked.

Cad Bane seemed interesting, but also a symptom of the show's poor storytelling- because for those of us who couldn't bother watching Clone Wars, he was just some guy.

Anyway, now Boba's the Godfather.

There was so much potential for a show based on this character, but the choices made seem a bit bizarre. Oh well, on to the next bit of content.

The finale was fine but it didn’t really change my opinion that the show was pretty much a failure except for the Mando stuff (which should have appeared in Mando season 3 but it felt like a godsend to not have to spend another two episodes with boring-ass Boba). The Pike Syndicate were really weak villains (which I guess makes them appropriate foils for Boba) and the one member (Cad Bane) who was somewhat compelling gets offed because he had to; otherwise Boba would have proven himself completely incompetent.

The Rancor/ED-209 fight was kinda cool but the droids apparently weren’t able to really hit anything because nearly every character has plot armor. Couldn’t they have at least taken out the Cyberpunk Power Rangers? Would that have been too much to ask? Oh well. At least Cobb Vanth is still alive. Give him his own show. I’ll watch that because Olyphant oozes charm and charisma, two things that were completely absent on any episode of this show that centered on Boba.

The finale was fine but it didn’t really change my opinion that the show was pretty much a failure except for the Mando stuff (which should have appeared in Mando season 3 but it felt like a godsend to not have to spend another two episodes with boring-ass Boba). The Pike Syndicate were really weak villains (which I guess makes them appropriate foils for Boba) and the one member (Cad Bane) who was somewhat compelling gets offed because he had to; otherwise Boba would have proven himself completely incompetent.

The Rancor/ED-209 fight was kinda cool but the droids apparently weren’t able to really hit anything because nearly every character has plot armor. Couldn’t they have at least taken out the Cyberpunk Power Rangers? Would that have been too much to ask? Oh well. At least Cobb Vanth is still alive. Give him his own show. I’ll watch that because Olyphant oozes charm and charisma, two things that were completely absent on any episode of this show that centered on Boba.

If you liked Vanth, and haven't done so already you have to see Justified - because Vanth is just Olyphant's US Marshall, Raylan Givens, in space.

Loved the ED209 reference :lmao: Imagine if they'd talked.

Tons of plot armour in that episode, very true!

I don't think I would want to rewatch this, only 5 & 6 before the mandalorian comes back on. All the time they spent on the Tuskens you would think it would payoff at the climax of the series. He didn't try to reach out to any other tribes. He also didn't even get revenge after he found out who really killed the Tuskens. Using the Gaffi stick on Cad Bane was pointless, if they were going for some sort of poetic justice, since he wasn't involved. Instead of Fennec killing the head of the Pyke syndicate in town, Boba should've shown up with the Gaffi stick and wrecked shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"