The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 5: The Return of Corporate Synergy (Spoiler Discussion)

As others have said this was the best ep of the series. I do think it was weird/a mistake to do an entirely Mando episode in Boba's series, though. That opening scene would've sufficed and then have the rest be an actual Book of Boba ep, with the end being Fennec meeting up with Mando in Mos Eisley. All the other stuff could've been in the Mando season 3 opener.

Finally getting to see this...

Din delivers an engaging but ultimately for this show, totally filler episode. For HIS show, this was a good, if somewhat slowish and low key season premiere... Or it would be under normal circumstances.

Starting off this review lemme say... BDH was already quite confident with her first episode of Mando, which for some reason gets lumped into sub optimal episodes for some reason by many around here but I loved that one and her subsiquent outing and now this. She has a real handle on a production like this from camera work and coordinating all the VFX and actors to getting good performances out of her cast. I really cannot wait to see what she decides to do next and would be quite happy if we got her on some high profile genre work in features or another streaming project if she is looking to go that way. I especially liked how Howard brought all the visual elements together and really made the Sci Fi aspect of SW shine here.

So coming back to Din I have some questions which funnily this didn't answer. He was given a quest, one which he accomplished and came back to see the figure in his life that sent him on such a mission. I was hoping that seeing more Mandolorians, Bo, Bobba, and traveling far from his sphere of comfort, physically and mentally, AND at least being exposed to the idea that the group he was a part of may not be anything other than a cult following some kind of draconian fanatic that he would either not go back as a blind supplicant or at least he would question more fully the Armorer.

Din's time on the Ring World was a nice slice of life and man... It's been too long. I miss the vibe of Mando. So the Armorer and Paz are all that's left of his Covert? Shame. We are setting up what the Dark Saber can be as a constant threat to Din by way of those that will covet it. Which, I kinda figured is where this was headed for bit with him.

I rather liked the idea of the Armorer in the previous seasons and was hoping she was actually on the up and up or at least not AS brainwashed as Mando's brother and sister Mandalorians. Like, I was happy to show that a philosophical/religious authority would find a way to use a harsh and unforgiving creed from a warrior culture to justify an act of compassion and mercy and continued to use it to "do the right thing" and lead Din towards his destiny as a protector of Grogu, as well as nurturing his inner morality.

Now... Not so sure but that's fine. Din was raised by something that right now STINKS of corruption. Again, I'm not sure the Armorer has to be the root cause of this, she might be another foundling like Din who is working in her own way against the foundational notions of this Covert. So far she is why Mando was able to even being to question what he was raised in.

On the other hand she's still SUS AF.

@flickchick85 Yes, for sure, he got himself a sports car. I agree that this seems a poor choice for him as a bounty hunter but it being more agile and fast as well as being a long range craft aren't bad things to trade the space of the Crest for.

This was a nice episode.

It was also the most coherent and satisfying episode and... This why it's a shame that as good as it all was it shows how slow and uninteresting BoBF has been so far. Getting back into the groove with Din makes me not want to go back to BoBF's story.

I also don't like that Jon is using he Mandalorian genocide to justify the The Way. The cult didn't survive because of any redeemable quality of The Way. They survived because they were a bunch of lunatics and exiled at the time by the sane Mandalorians. That's not a good reason to aspire to lunacy. Hopefully at some point he will kill the Blacksmith and the Heavy, and just make his own way.
I don't really see how this episode is "justifying" The Way at all. Of course, the Armorer is going to use the genocide to justify her own cult. But the show is very clearly not taking her side, IMO.

Finally getting to see this...

Starting off this review lemme say... BDH was already quite confident with her first episode of Mando, which for some reason gets lumped into sub optimal episodes for some reason by many around here but I loved that one and her subsiquent outing and now this. She has a real handle on a production like this from camera work and coordinating all the VFX and actors to getting good performances out of her cast. I really cannot wait to see what she decides to do next and would be quite happy if we got her on some high profile genre work in features or another streaming project if she is looking to go that way. I especially liked how Howard brought all the visual elements together and really made the Sci Fi aspect of SW shine here.
Honestly I don't really know what the director actually does on a tv series, but it does seem like Jon and Dave and the visual artist do all the pre viz and work beforehand. Then the director for that episode shows up and shoots what they are given. Jon and Dave keep them in line with their story but let them add anything that makes it better. Then the post production finishes the shots. They do show the concept art at the end of the episodes, I think those are the touched up versions of their storyboards they make beforehand. Like I said I don't really know what the director actually does besides coach the actors,shoot the dialogue, and maybe frame the shots in a show like this. They get as much good material as they can so the post production can turn it into something. The credit and blame I think is mostly on the showrunners. They are very hands on and have the final say. I do know that Famuyiwa did some writing and was more hands on with his episode and he is credited among others with the Teleplay. So I would give him more credit on his episode that turned out to be one of the best ones of season 1. This is based on what I have seen in the making of stuff they released for the mandalorian. So who really knows what is actually going on. I am open to any actual insight someone has on what actually goes on in a production like this.

All the exterior shots and background of the station is the work of the visual artist, it was probably done roughly in previz so Bryce could frame here shot, but I don't credit the look of the episode to her, this is the shows look they now perfected over two seasons. I did find the shot dropping of the bounties head cool as Din walks in, there is a slight shake to the camera like it was hand held. It matched his struggling steps as he walked in. The pan around the table though was not good mixed with the shake I thought it was a bit jarring. I would have like a more steady camera shot there as we see the camera move around the table. There was so much to look at in the scene it could have used a more steady shot to let it settle more, but it was still good just a small critique. I did like the way the fight scenes were shot. We got to see all the action and not some closeups of hands moving around like alot of fight scenes tend to do in some movies.

I have enjoyed BOBF so far, even enjoyed every episode. But yes it was so good to get back to Mando again and his world, and him going to get Grogu back was just a punch the air moment.

Hopefully the last 2 episodes of BOBF kill it. I do think the way BOBF is structured might be better for a binge watch, so next time I watch it I will be doing just that.

Pretty much what should have happened between Boba and that biker gang.

Its like they want to diminish Boba with this show. At every turn he's been a bumbling old man and weak and now they bring Din in being more ruthless and capable than him.
You’d expect Boba to be the more ruthless one. Boba’s Punisher to Din’s Daredevil.

You’d expect Boba to be the more ruthless one. Boba’s Punisher to Din’s Daredevil.

Thats a really good comparison. I get Boba wants to rule with respect but I think he is learning he will have to be ruthless to get that respect and so the next 2 episodes need to show us that.

Din isn't exactly ruthless though. He has a code. He gives his bounties the chance to come quietly and only resorts to violence if they refuse to comply. If he was truly ruthless he'd have charged into that meat packing plant guns blazing but instead he offered everyone involved a peaceful alternative and they foolishly chose the other option (to our entertainment).

Pretty much what should have happened between Boba and that biker gang.

Its like they want to diminish Boba with this show. At every turn he's been a bumbling old man and weak and now they bring Din in being more ruthless and capable than him.

He literally massacred them with his ship! Insert Tyrese: "What more do you want from me?!"

Din isn't exactly ruthless though. He has a code. He gives his bounties the chance to come quietly and only resorts to violence if they refuse to comply. If he was truly ruthless he'd have charged into that meat packing plant guns blazing but instead he offered everyone involved a peaceful alternative and they foolishly chose the other option (to our entertainment).
That's the point isn't it? Boba Fett is the one you'd have expected to be ruthless after all the anticipation over the last few decades of seeing him onscreen. Din isn't ruthless for a bounty hunter, pretty nice as they go, but his day job still involves hunting people for bounties and many incidental murders during business hours rather than something like working behind the till at Walmart lol.

That's the point isn't it? Boba Fett is the one you'd have expected to be ruthless after all the anticipation over the last few decades of seeing him onscreen. Din isn't ruthless for a bounty hunter, pretty nice as they go, but his day job still involves hunting people for bounties and many incidental murders during business hours rather than something like working behind the till at Walmart lol.
Especially after the "No disintegrations" line from Vader in ESB.

Especially after the "No disintegrations" line from Vader in ESB.
Ha, hard to relate the need for that line (which implies a simpler and reckless guy who loves disintegrating people at the first opportunity) to this more complex, thoughtful and maybe too decent Boba.

How much are we expecting Din to feature in the last 2 episodes?

How much are we expecting Din to feature in the last 2 episodes?
If you told me the next episode was all about him again, I'd believe you. Something about that last scene made it feel like it was as possible we follow him as we do Boba/Fennec.

If you told me the next episode was all about him again, I'd believe you. Something about that last scene made it feel like it was as possible we follow him as we do Boba/Fennec.

I'd have to rewatch but, didn't he say he was going to do something BEFORE he joined up with Boba's crew?

Or do you mean a bifurcated narrative where what Din does at first seems not connected and then we learn his story dovetails into the main BoBF story the last two episodes?

I'd have to rewatch but, didn't he say he was going to do something BEFORE he joined up with Boba's crew?

Or do you mean a bifurcated narrative where what Din does at first seems not connected and then we learn his story dovetails into the main BoBF story the last two episodes?
If he's really going to go see Grogurt, I can't imagine them not showing us that. Which dovetails into a prediction I have based on a tweet from a legit leaker.

Han and Ben are going to show up. Which makes me wonder if he'll meet up with them while hanging with Luke.

"Hey little Grogurt, meet Ben, he's gonna try and kill you in a few years but you have a secret ability that will save you: the ability to print cash."

"Hey little Grogurt, meet Ben, he's gonna try and kill you in a few years but you have a secret ability that will save you: the ability to print cash."
This is the way.

If he's really going to go see Grogurt, I can't imagine them not showing us that. Which dovetails into a prediction I have based on a tweet from a legit leaker.

Han and Ben are going to show up. Which makes me wonder if he'll meet up with them while hanging with Luke.

Who's the leaker if I might ask? I haven't kept up with BoBF and Mando Season 3 rumors.

Who's the leaker if I might ask? I haven't kept up with BoBF and Mando Season 3 rumors.
ViewerAnon. What he said was:

He quoted someone who said that they were going to retcon the ST with Favs and Filoni. And ViewerAnon was laughing at them, saying they won't feel the same after the finale of the Boba. With the rumors of a Qi'ra show, I think it's definitely going to be Han, who might run into his ex with his son there. Spicy.

Last edited:
ViewerAnon. What he said was:

He quoted someone who said that said they were going to retcon the ST with Favs and Filoni. And ViewerAnon was laughing at them, saying they won't feel the same after the finale of the Boba. With the rumors of a Qi'ra show, I think it's definitely going to be Han, who might run into his ex with his son there. Spicy.

Well... well... well...

(Satisfied Palpatine gif.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"