The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 3: The Streets of Mos Espa (Spoiler Discussion)

I think specifically cause it’s Tatooine why it looks out of place. Coruscant they’d all fit right in.
I do agree.
obsessed with an earth subculture from the past
Yet every ship, weapon, greeble and grommet in SW is pulled from earth's past, from Samurai to Roman legion helmets, WWII, to buck rogers deco designs, to 60s vehicles.

And 1980s HB Teen Force was ripe for mining! :funny:
5ym02t.gif
5zb9av.gif

5z9vj2.gif
5zb98g.gif

We have Moleculad & Elektra Lass, we just need Kid Comet to show up, for their own spin-off series.
5zc99j.gif

5zxsi5.gif

5zbgxr.gif

I'm calling this one Kid Comet
FI6ERydakAAhm-C
5zc99j.gif

Last edited:
It being on Tatooine does make it worse.
The mods and their bikes being so clean and shiny.

Are they using the planets scarce water supply to maintain their goofy aesthetic?

Scooter gang
BetterScarceIndianjackal-size_restricted.gif

the rest of Tatooine
1478526093_00021.jpg

Last edited:
At a moment I thought my video player was lagging during the Mos Vespa chase. Yes it was not very good but not a big deal either.
One little nit pick, I think Fett removes his helmet too much.

I don’t mind color or chrome in Star Wars.
I just think it’s stupid to have mods and vespas in Star Wars :funny:

It just kinda looks like a group of kids that are obsessed with an earth subculture from the past and that doesn’t make a bit of goddamn sense.
That's Star Wars. It's why we have samurai, biker gangs, 50s diners, hot rods, etc.

At this point guys, think I am bowing out until every episode is out to watch it. I just am not into this show much at all. It is just spinning its wheels and not interesting at all. Wish I was enjoying this show more than I am

I think specifically cause it’s Tatooine why it looks out of place. Coruscant they’d all fit right in.

Exactly, here they stick out like poor aesthetic. It makes the show look cheap and feel more like CW or power rangers. Add in the fact that this is easily top 3 worst action scenes in SW and it's not doing the property any favors. Just helping them add memes.

There's a way to make this work, mainly by having this crew be a threatening addition or by having their action well depicted. But this was not the way. These were probably cutting room floor Alita characters.

Last edited:
Exactly, here they stick out like poor aesthetic. It makes the show look cheap and feel more like CW or power rangers. Add in the fact that this is easily top 3 worst action scenes in SW and it's not doing the property any favors. Just helping them add memes.

There's a way to make this work, mainly by having this crew be a threatening addition or by having their action well depicted. But this was not the way. These were probably cutting room floor Alita characters.
The idea of the gang, is in theory, they clash with Boba. That they don't, that Boba sees their rebellious spirit and is like, "these are my kind of people" is very much the point imo. Which is why having them be super basic and threatening like the Porky Boys would be boring and repetitive. We've seen Boba bond with mutiple different types. Fennec, the Tuskens, the Mods, Black K, a rancor, etc. He's an island of misfit toys type of guy. Considering his flashbacks to Kamino, it's probably tied to something with papa.

It's why their look "clashing" with Tatooine works rather well imo. Also, I know I've watched way too much Star Wars, but that was far from a "top 3 worst" Star Wars action scene.

The idea of the gang, is in theory, they clash with Boba. That they don't, that Boba sees their rebellious spirit and is like, "these are my kind of people" is very much the point imo. Which is why having them be super basic and threatening like the Porky Boys would be boring and repetitive. We've seen Boba bond with mutiple different types. Fennec, the Tuskens, the Mods, Black K, a rancor, etc. He's an island of misfit toys type of guy. Considering his flashbacks to Kamino, it's probably tied to something with papa.

It's why their look "clashing" with Tatooine works rather well imo. Also, I know I've watched way too much Star Wars, but that was far from a "top 3 worst" Star Wars action scene.

The concept or idea of it isn't so much my issue, this could have worked definitely under the right guidance and budget. I like your reasoning on why this would be the stronger way to go. The execution just felt far below standard for an IP that even in it's lowest has pushed boundaries or been ahead of the game in vfx, character design and action.

Even when comparing some of the cringe moments in the Prequels (admttingly I'm a defender of) there is so much ILM and design craziness going on that I'd argue the entertainment value/eye candy is high. This show at times visually, feels tv cheap and uninspired. Something more along the lines of a tv series that wants to be Star Wars but lacks the creative or money. They look too much like random low level ai in Cyber punk 2077. Because of that cheap contrast, they pop out more on this planet in a bad way imo.

I really can't remember an action set piece so slow and dull in Star Wars upon it's release. But maybe I'm forgetting some and my disappointment here is clouding my judgement. I'll trust your opinion that I am majorly overlooking. That definitely could be the case.

Last edited:
The concept or idea of it isn't so much my issue, this could have worked definitely under the right guidance and budget. Instead it feels far below standard for an IP that even in it's lowest has pushed boundaries or been ahead of the game in vfx, character design and action.
They looked no cheaper then the Mando in his beskar armor. I'd argue they look obviously better, because the worst thing was one eye piece that looked a little plastic, compared to good ole Din. He looks like he's walking around in ill fitting plastic most of the time.

Even when comparing some of the cringe moments in the Prequels (admttingly I'm a defender of) there is so much ILM craziness going on that I'd argue the entertainment value/eye candy is high. This visually feels tv cheap. Something more along the lines of a tv series that wants to be Star Wars but lacks the creative or money. Or just random ai in Cyber punk 2077.
I like the prequels. But this revisionist history, which honestly applies to most of Star Wars. There is cheap looking stuff in every saga and every show so far. Hell, my favorite TV show for Star Wars is Rebels, and you can tell it didn't have the budget of TCW. A large problem with the prequels is while the costume design, sets and concepts are great 90% of the time, the big environments and a lot of the CGI creations feel "cheap". For every great one, there's stuff like the cutout heads for the clones in ROTS. Half the time in AotC, the film suffers from green scene obviousness. I'm not complaining. I'm just acknowledging it's there.

I really can't remember an action set piece so slow and dull in Star Wars upon it's release. But maybe I'm forgetting some and my disappointment here is clouding my judgement. I'll trust your opinion that I am overlooking.
I mean I could bring up a lot of early TCW and Rebels, but I don't even need to. Mando, the hallway chase during episode 4 of season 2 which was cut from hell and back. The original film is amazing. It also involves a stick fight between what feels like to very untrained elderly men moving in slow motion and Han getting in a shoot out by firing at dudes and just slapstick running away while everyone hilariously misses. And I want to be clear, I am not complaining. I love it. I even love the carebears and their sticks and rocks who show little to no ability to actually hurt people with them.

I'm not even saying the scene is great or anything. I enjoyed it, but I'm also someone who enjoys RR's sense of humor a lot of the time. And I took the Mod kids chase for what it was. A goofy chase sequence, built on youth subculture of the past. Which is what a lot of my favorite Star Wars does. Could it have looked faster? Yep. Boba could have also just use his jet pack.

I dont think that chase was the worst scene in Start Wars history or anything. But by that same token, it wasn't great either. In the end, I am just not connecting with this show.
I think your assessment is correct.

As to vibing with the show. I'm hoping that when it's over and complete, you can sit down and pick it up and watch in through, and hopefully it works better for you. I can definitely get not being a fan of the pace here. I personally wish they had done the flash backs as one "big" episode, because while a love a lot of that material, it also has spread the present narrative rather thin so far imo.

I dont think that chase was the worst scene in Start Wars history or anything. But by that same token, it wasn't great either. In the end, I am just not connecting with this show.
The honor of worst chase in Star Wars history goes to TLJ when that First Order Destroyer was chasing that Resistance cruiser throughout most of the film

The one in Boba wasn’t terrible but it could have been executed better

They looked no cheaper then the Mando in his beskar armor. I'd argue they look obviously better, because the worst thing was one eye piece that looked a little plastic, compared to good ole Din. He looks like he's walking around in ill fitting plastic most of the time.
It didn't look great but the design had much more going for it imo as did the character. I just can't say that for these characters yet. Maybe they will be cooler in the next ep?

I like the prequels. But this revisionist history, which honestly applies to most of Star Wars. There is cheap looking stuff in every saga and every show so far. Hell, my favorite TV show for Star Wars is Rebels, and you can tell it didn't have the budget of TCW. A large problem with the prequels is while the costume design, sets and concepts are great 90% of the time, the big environments and a lot of the CGI creations feel "cheap". For every great one, there's stuff like the cutout heads for the clones in ROTS. Half the time in AotC, the film suffers from green scene obviousness. I'm not complaining. I'm just acknowledging it's there.
There are definitely cheap things in every series. My enjoyment on these rely more so on how the rest compensates for those moments. Saw TPM 11 times in the theatre back in the day (constantly made fun of for it haha) and wanted to know more about the world building, character design and action choreography. It's an odd and interesting film for me and one of my fondest movie going experiences. I love what Clone Wars did for the property even more.

Focusing on these characters, the story, directing, the action etc this all feels very low on the SW live action rankings and overall execution upon an IP release. I really don't know where to defend this show because of how subpar it feels to everything else in SW. It's actually frustrating to me because I'm trying right now to say something positive about this gang and the show. But outside of SW comic characters showing up I can't say much about it so far.

I mean I could bring up a lot of early TCW and Rebels, but I don't even need to. Mando, the hallway chase during episode 4 of season 2 which was cut from hell and back. The original film is amazing. It also involves a stick fight between what feels like to very untrained elderly men moving in slow motion and Han getting in a shoot out by firing at dudes and just slapstick running away while everyone hilariously misses. And I want to be clear, I am not complaining. I love it. I even love the carebears and their sticks and rocks who show little to no ability to actually hurt people with them.

I'm not even saying the scene is great or anything. I enjoyed it, but I'm also someone who enjoys RR's sense of humor a lot of the time. And I took the Mod kids chase for what it was. A goofy chase sequence, built on youth subculture of the past. Which is what a lot of my favorite Star Wars does. Could it have looked faster? Yep. Boba could have also just use his jet pack.

Oh totally, I do try and take into consideration that critiquing a scene from the 70s isn't comparable. Trying to look at these all based on their release and where film and tech is at the times. With all that, I still really do see this chase scene as a low point for SW set pieces. This isn't the mark to hit in future shows.

RR was one of my favorite directors growing up. Heck, his segment for Four Rooms still cracks me up. Maybe that's another reason for my disappointment here. He knows how to make an action scene better with editing and camera skill and there's just no effort her at all that I can see. He's also better with humor than this. I'm all for him adding more of his style to the show. Loved his ep from Mando.

Hoping the next eps will switch my mind up

Last edited:
I would hardly describe Fett as "invincible" after that fight. Fett got his ass handed to him. It is still a Star Wars show, you are not going to see a lot of bodily damage.

Could've simply not have him take a lot of bodily damage :funny: Don't have a wookie hit him with spiked electric "brass" knuckles...

Even not considering the controversial design from the bikes, the bland look for the gang and the poor direction of the chase (yeah it's already a lot), why would Boba put trust in these people ?
The only thing he knows about them is that they are shoplifting a guy selling water. And since they're not looking like they're dying of thirst, it seems that the water is use to keep their vespas clean. What is he seeing here ?
Anyway, so Boba Fett, the new biiiiig crime lord (insert Costanza's big salad energy here) has now build a crew with the most random kid group. What a chance for him they managed to fight that so, we heard, powerful Wookie bounty hunter. Guess he was lucky.

Maybe as much as the show for going into production with that kind of writing...

Last edited:
Not as good as the last episode, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

-Don’t get the complaints about the young gang and the colorful Vespa speeders. Like everyone else has said, the Star Wars universe is a mishmash of things borrowed from different cultures, subcultures and time periods in our world. This isn’t new. Watch Attack of the Clones. There’s precedent.

-Poor Tuskens. Guess we sort of know why he’s gunning for that crime lord reputation.

-Rancor! Danny Trejo! Need I say more?

-Everything that’s been said about the chase has been said. Didn’t hate it, didn’t love it.

It’s fine if people have their issues, but certain fans making it a point to just complain about the Mod Squad and their vehicles, among other ridiculous nitpicks, not fitting into their perceived version of Star Wars need to go watch previous content and do research, or go outside and touch some grass. JFC.

Last edited:
I don’t particularly mind it, it’s just a bit comical that the speed doesn’t get any faster from when they start. Not really worth doing a chase scene if you’re not going to do it properly and give it some drama. As for the show overall this all still feels like a setup/intro to the much better stuff when Boba is properly established having built up his numbers - just hope we start getting that from next episode.

I don’t particularly mind it, it’s just a bit comical that the speed doesn’t get any faster from when they start. Not really worth doing a chase scene if you’re not going to do it properly and give it some drama. As for the show overall this all still feels like a setup/intro to the much better stuff when Boba is properly established having built up his numbers - just hope we start getting that from next episode.

I mean they had Boba there in full gear, why not just use him in the chasing down of the Mayor's man, it feels like the shows scared to use him in action scenes unless its showing Morrison's face for some reason, they could use a stunt double plus would have shown in broad daylight Boba owns these streets in the present time.

Anyway just some odd choices for me in Ep3 but its in the past now, hopefully we move onto better things next week.

I think that the chase was about as fast as it could have been in those streets. Because of the bikes, we just can’t help but compare it to the ridiculously fast speeder bike pursuit from RotJ, which only someone like Anakin in his prime might have stood a chance of surviving.

Boba’s “Ta-da! Jetpack!” arrival at the end seems to show that the director didn’t mean for the ground chase to come across as particularly fast.

When that Wookie was giving Boba a bear hug, it looked like he was fighting one of those sports mascots...

I mean they had Boba there in full gear, why not just use him in the chasing down of the Mayor's man, it feels like the shows scared to use him in action scenes unless its showing Morrison's face for some reason, they could use a stunt double plus would have shown in broad daylight Boba owns these streets in the present time.

Anyway just some odd choices for me in Ep3 but its in the past now, hopefully we move onto better things next week.
I think part of that was to show that a vulnerable Boba (in his boxer shorts and asleep) needs loyal followers to have his back to be a legit power player (otherwise anyone can get assassinated by one of these elite bounty hunters) and is getting the rewards of his earlier treatment of all those groups. Building his empire through respect!

Honestly, my read was that Boba recruited the biker gang mostly to spite the water merchant. Like, they had some spunk and he did need more manpower, but mostly it was to punish the dude who could have *maybe* been more insulting if he tried, but it would have taken effort.

I think part of that was to show that a vulnerable Boba (in his boxer shorts and asleep) needs loyal followers to have his back to be a legit power player (otherwise anyone can get assassinated by one of these elite bounty hunters) and is getting the rewards of his earlier treatment of all those groups. Building his empire through respect!

Yeah was sort of hoping that was going to be the Tusken's though.....:waa:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"