DC Universe Animated Green Lantern Movie Thread

I didn't like the film the first time I saw it, I like much more after a second viewing. I still think the film is lacking in character development. We should have seen an explanation for how the ring works and why Hal was chosen.

I think the reason Hal was chosen is explained in full detail over the course of the film. When he discovers Abin Sur, he immediately tries to carry him to safety. Nevermind the fact that Abin Sur is some weird looking alien, that doesn't even phase Hal, the first thing he thinks about is getting Sur to safety. Then, he constantly puts his life on the line to protect the Lanterns despite them not being receptive to him in the beginning. By the end of the film I think it's obvious why they've chosen him.

I think the reason Hal was chosen is explained in full detail over the course of the film. When he discovers Abin Sur, he immediately tries to carry him to safety. Nevermind the fact that Abin Sur is some weird looking alien, that doesn't even phase Hal, the first thing he thinks about is getting Sur to safety. Then, he constantly puts his life on the line to protect the Lanterns despite them not being receptive to him in the beginning. By the end of the film I think it's obvious why they've chosen him.

True, I guess I just wanted dialogue about the emotional spectrum, Hal's lack of fear, his willpower, how his ring is only limited by his thoughts etc

That's the only thing that I missed too, more info about the Corps and their Rings.

True, I guess I just wanted dialogue about the emotional spectrum, Hal's lack of fear, his willpower, how his ring is only limited by his thoughts etc

I'm with you. I definitely wanted to see Hal prior to the events and see why the ring would choose him. They explain it with his actions during the film, but I would have like to see just a little more back story on Hal and what made him the perfect candidate.

Overall, I loved the movie. Animation was top notch, and the voice acting was superb.

I'm with you. I definitely wanted to see Hal prior to the events and see why the ring would choose him. They explain it with his actions during the film, but I would have like to see just a little more back story on Hal and what made him the perfect candidate.

Overall, I loved the movie. Animation was top notch, and the voice acting was superb.

it's not that deep guys, he's a test pilot who is one of those RARE guys that isn't afraid of anything...the ring will select someone who has the ability to overcome great fear....it's not that complicated as you all want it to be....there is no heros journey, like a Spider-Man or Batman

Also...we learned his origin in New Frontier...you know we are gonna learn it again it the movie which will vary some from New Frontier. I really dont need to see three varying versions of an origin. It just makes things convoluted and confusing.

it's not that deep guys, he's a test pilot who is one of those RARE guys that isn't afraid of anything...the ring will select someone who has the ability to overcome great fear....it's not that complicated as you all want it to be....there is no heros journey, like a Spider-Man or Batman

But I don't recall there being any mention of fear or that the ring chose him bc of that. That is what I don't like.

I liked the overall feature but didn't care for the "twist"

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's try to keep the spoilers to a minimum, guys? I know this is out now, but not everyone had the scratch to throw down on it this week.

Let's try to keep the spoilers to a minimum, guys? I know this is out now, but not everyone had the scratch to throw down on it this week.

and no one cares for those poor bastards:cmad::cmad: I shall hunt them for sport

kidding...I know, Ill be more careful sorry

you got that from the movie, cause i didn't.

you are correct in that it's not as extensive as the other heroes you mentioned, but the ring picked him for a reason. there is ALWAYS a heroes journey.

instead of the flight simulator scene, they could have easily just had a scene where he is flying or in a dogfight, and somehow he saves someone else's life through some insane acrobatic feat because he has no fear of death, while going against his superior's orders to abort. shows he's courage, lack of fear, and defying authority all in one scene.

you got that from the movie, cause i didn't.

you are correct in that it's not as extensive as the other heroes you mentioned, but the ring picked him for a reason. there is ALWAYS a heroes journey.

instead of the flight simulator scene, they could have easily just had a scene where he is flying or in a dogfight, and somehow he saves someone else's life through some insane acrobatic feat because he has no fear of death, while going against his superior's orders to abort. shows he's courage, lack of fear, and defying authority all in one scene.

I'm a fan of the character....and actually that scene is fairly close to his standard origin, he was in a simulator and the ring yanked him out of the hanger....they even used that in JL: New Frontier...his journey starts when he puts the ring on and realizes how big the universe really is

This is Bruce Timm with a GL Ring at Comic Con I think.
Do these rings come with special versions of the GL DVD?
timm.jpg

I disagree with you entirely. The fact that he was CHOSEN, and had to grow into becoming a GL and learn how to master the ring is part of his journey. I just wanted to see a little back story, but I understand we got that in New Frontier. I loved the movie from start to finish, it's just a minor complaint.

this movie isn't meant to be a follow-up to the NEW frontier. so i strongly disagree with it being used to tell the origin in this one.

this movie isn't meant to be a follow-up to the NEW frontier. so i strongly disagree with it being used to tell the origin in this one.

I know that, but that's the origin...even in Secret Origin, he's in a simulator and it gets yanked into the desert where Abin Sur crashed....it does seem random at first, but as he learns to use the ring, you see why he was chosen

I have to agree with you on that. His actions spoke louder than any explanation that could have been given in the film.

This is Bruce Timm with a GL Ring at Comic Con I think.
Do these rings come with special versions of the GL DVD?
timm.jpg

No. I bought the 2-disc DVD and there was no ring. I asked the clerk at Target and he knew nothing about it. Now, if you buy a copy of Blackest Night #1, you will get a free Black Lantern Ring. That is the only free ring offer that I know about.

Last edited:
I know that, but that's the origin...even in Secret Origin, he's in a simulator and it gets yanked into the desert where Abin Sur crashed....it does seem random at first, but as he learns to use the ring, you see why he was chosen

fair enough.

I do love how he gets **** for being a human....and it doesn't seem to faze him

I saw the movie on blu-ray last night and absolutely loved it, it was awesome!!!:D:up: The only thing I wish they would have done a little differently was to focus a little more on Hal as opposed to Sinestro, but other than that it was great 10/10!!!:D:up:

Anyone else having a problem with the digital copy? Its totally screwing up my pc. It closes any folder I try to open that contains it and closes any program I try to run it though.

Yeah, I like Hal sticking up for himself and not just letting the Guardians or other GL members give him crap without saying anything. Christopher Meloni did a a great job, but Victor Garber's Sinestro stole the show.

Kilowog was great too. Michael Madsen fits that role perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"