DC Universe Animated Green Lantern Movie Thread

Yeah, I like Hal sticking up for himself and not just letting the Guardians or other GL members give him crap without saying anything. Christopher Meloni did a a great job, but Victor Garber's Sinestro stole the show.

Kilowog was great too. Michael Madsen fits that role perfectly.

Madsen was the diamond in the rough for me.

:gl: :gl: :gl:

I thought the movie was awesome on so many levels, maybe I'm a little biased cause I am a huge GL fan, but I thought this was better than Wonder Woman, not by much at all, but I thought so.

The voices were perfect for the roles, Madsen's Kilowog is the way I want Kilowog to sound, and in fact when ever I read a GL related book that is the voice I will use for the big guy. Garber like One Disturbed SOB said did steal the show, his Sinestro was cunning and deviant. Meloni was a great Hal. The only voices I didn't care for though were that of the Guardians, especially Ganthet, to me Ganthet seemed like he has a deeper voice in the comics.

The action was great, I liked the fact we got actual constructs and not just force field bubbles and energy beams. The chair that Hal created was funny only a earthman would think of that.

The story needed to me a little bit of touch to it, like someone said earlier Hal just seemed all to at ease with it all, meeting aliens for the first time, and not being freaked out that he is flying with a ring. I also didn't really care for the ION part of it, but I doubt we will get any sequels to it so they wanted to get it in there. My only thing would have been to have Sinestro then become Parallax, so then you have the two "gods" fighting.

Overall, I was extremly pleased with the entire movie, the things I didn't careful were in very minor detail to the things I loved about the movie. Like I said I don't think we will get any sequels to it, but I would love to see a sequel were Sinestro comes back and brings his Corps with him so we get a Sinestro War movie.

by the way this is the first written review I have ever done, so forgive me if it seemed jumped all over the place. Oh yeah I also rated it a 10 on the poll :grin: :up: :up:

i loved it except for how calm and accepting of EVERYTHING Hal was.

If i come across an alien bleeding Im not going to walk up to it and be like 'oh hey guy, let me help you with that! thanks for the ring!"

also this should have been called Rise of Sinestro.

I damn near cheered for Sinestro, it made me LIKE and WANT to hate him and yet sympathize.
Whoever the voice actor was did an EXCELLENT job.

the other down side was the guardians were dorks. like nerds....wtf man?

Excellent film, as good as Wonder Woman if not better.

(REVIEW: SPOILERS AHEAD)

This is a great time for Green Lantern.After years of being known pretty much just from the Super Friends cartoons out of comic book geekdom, he´s getting his spotlight, being ne of DC´s top-selling characters, a live-action movie on the fast track and now his first solo animated feature.

It´s a pretty high adrenaline space adventure. I like it that it´s structured kinda like Training Day in space, where Hal is the naive but well-meaning rookie and Sinestro is the seasoned, bittered and corrupted cop. Also like it that Hal is portrayed as an underdog GL, frown upon for being human, who struggles to prove himself to the others. Lotsa cool twists and turns, great visuals, aliens, alien worlds, spaceships, robots, etc.

But there were some significant bugs with the script that bothered me. These STV superhero movies can often feel rushed, and here it really shows. Even though I like the passing of Abin-Sur´s ring to be quick and economic, I´d like to see some of Hal first trying out the ring, figuring it out, etc., which would have fit the storyline. I also thought it´d be better,dramatically, if at least initially Hal looked up at Sinestro as a mentor, kinda like Bruce and Ra´s in BB, which would have made it more disheartening when they became enemies, but it´s obvious from the start Sinestro´s a power-hungry egomaniac - even if he makes a few good points - and is barely of any help in Hal´s development as a GL. In that sense, I felt WW was more satisfying, given she was conflicted between her ideal of reuniting Themyscira with the rest of the world and seeing her mother´s reasons to dislike men. I also missed some more of Hal´s background, especially the death of his father, which woud have fit the story, given that he died while desobeying orders to do what he thought was right.

I´m not trashing it, though. The cast was pretty solid all around, It has some great moments, especially the grand scale final battle, and it was always entertaining and suspenseful. I know the things I missed would have probably pushed it towards two hours, and that´s part of the reason why I´m looking forward to the live-action film.

7 out of 10

Overall I enjoyed the film, However surprisingly I enjoyed Wonder Woman film a lot more than Green Lantern .

To put simple their were certain aspect that worked well in the and others that didn't IMO.

Pros.
1. A very brief look @ Hal's origin (I'm glad they didn't go too deep in Hal's origin, We got more of that in a much greater depth in Justice League : NF.)

2. Hal Jordon & Sinestro relationship

3. Final confrontation battle between Jordon & Sinestro

4. Victor Garber as the voice of Sinestro

Cons

The Guardians of the Universe - (They were at time too self-righteous)

The Green Lantern Corps - (They were portrayed pretty weak, I'm trying to understand how they survived so long without Jordon in their ranks . It's no wonder Sinestro wanted to wipe them out . IMO Corps were portrayed better in Justice League / JLU .)

Hal as Ion - Sorry But I would've much rathered they'd had left that out . Kyle was Ion not Hal .

Voice actor of Hal Jordon : Christopher Meloni - Chris was alright but IMO David Boreanaz was so much better as voice of Hal in Justice League: The New Frontier .

I don't think that was supposed to be Ion, so much as it's just Hal absorbing the Central Power Battery, which has become a standard part of his early origin. I think it first appeared in GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD DAWN.

Caught this tonight, was pretty impressed with it, seems a bit rushed in the beginning and the end.

Michael Madson should voice Kilwog in the live-action feature.

Don't feel like going out to a Netflix and finding it, but I read that it's On Demand, so I may hook it up later tonight around 1 or 2am when I get back.

Yeah, we almost got it on demand, last night. Instead, our drunken brilliance demanded that we got Dragonball instead. And I don't care what you guys say. Comedy of the effing year.

Dragonball was a hilariously bad adaptation. I don't think I've seen a film where the reviews are actually less damning than they should be.

This movie was okay. Nice action and some good dialogue here and there. The "green/yellow element" stuff was lame, though. It feels like they read the old 60s stories and then put some modern comic art flair to it. The animation could've been better, too; my biggest problem with DC cartoons so far has been how stiff the expressions and movements are.

For me...I really enjoyed the scene where all the rings fell from space...that had quite a bit of impact on me...not seeing them die...but only seeing the rings.

Yeah, that was pretty Ominous...

Yeah, we almost got it on demand, last night. Instead, our drunken brilliance demanded that we got Dragonball instead. And I don't care what you guys say. Comedy of the effing year.

I watched it last night........

I don't think that was supposed to be Ion, so much as it's just Hal absorbing the Central Power Battery, which has become a standard part of his early origin. I think it first appeared in GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD DAWN.

It was (part of his post crisis origin), but if you do that (absorb the total power of the central power battery), you basically have the power of Ion, because we all know now that is what is fueling the battery. Also, one other point that goes overlooked in these stories is that Hal Jordan always gets to posses the power of each color spectrum. I expect him to be a Black Lantern before Blackest Night is over.

so do we know how well this sold in its first week?

what about a sequel? heres what i would want
-the return of boodika,tomar-re
-set more on earth(with carol)
-manhunters controlled by evil star(but still created by the guardians)
-more kiliwog
more later

ok I saw the movie and my impressions of the movie is its a cop flick. Sometimes I felt like I was watching a GL version of Training Day with Sinestro playing the role of Denzel Washington and Hal Jordan was the other guy.

So, does anyone think this could possibly serve as a pilot for a future animated series? Because, I think that would be great.

Overall I enjoyed the film, However surprisingly I enjoyed Wonder Woman film a lot more than Green Lantern .

To put simple their were certain aspect that worked well in the and others that didn't IMO.

Pros.
1. A very brief look @ Hal's origin (I'm glad they didn't go too deep in Hal's origin, We got more of that in a much greater depth in Justice League : NF.)

2. Hal Jordon & Sinestro relationship

3. Final confrontation battle between Jordon & Sinestro

4. Victor Garber as the voice of Sinestro

Cons

The Guardians of the Universe - (They were at time too self-righteous)

The Green Lantern Corps - (They were portrayed pretty weak, I'm trying to understand how they survived so long without Jordon in their ranks . It's no wonder Sinestro wanted to wipe them out . IMO Corps were portrayed better in Justice League / JLU .)

Hal as Ion - Sorry But I would've much rathered they'd had left that out . Kyle was Ion not Hal .

Voice actor of Hal Jordon : Christopher Meloni - Chris was alright but IMO David Boreanaz was so much better as voice of Hal in Justice League: The New Frontier .

I was also surprised to see I enjoyed WW more. It felt more rounded as a story and more epic in its scale and action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"