Deadpool Deadpool News and Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, Affleck already got good reviews for The Town...and then won an Oscar for Argo. So I think he's already "back" so to speak.

But I really hope this thing gets big for Ryan.

In terms of Superhero roles, when Affleck was originally cast as Batman there were some serious outcries. :oldrazz:

But yeah i hope the Deadpool turns things around for Ryans acting career. :woot:

In terms of Superhero roles, when Affleck was originally cast as Batman there were some serious outcries. :oldrazz:

But yeah i hope the Deadpool turns things around for Ryans acting career. :woot:

I hope so, too. He's got the talent, he's often the best part (or one of the best parts) in poor movies, and has always knocked it out of the park in good ones. And I'm tired of people sh***ing all over him on the web.

Reynolds box office record is no measure of his talent. I saw him opposite Helen Mirren in Woman in Gold last summer.He not only held his own but he also turned out a good performance.:up:

Reynolds is definitely talented. Just not sure on his or his agent's ability to pick which project to go for...

I'm still outcrying over that one

We don't seem to have a Concerns/Worries thread in this sub-forum so I'll just post mine here:

Based on what we're seeing in the trailers it looks like Deadpool had his insanity and humor and maybe even his 4th wall breaking abilities even before undergoing the proceedure which ultimately turned him into Deadpool. I thought those things in the comics were reversed...and indeed there's more logic to it in that order. I don't know, but it's just a niggling little thing that's bothered me so far.

I haven't gotten that impression. We see him crack jokes pre-experiments, but we don't see 4th wall breaking or "insanity". What aspects of the footage make you think that? The only thing I can think of is the green lantern suit comment, but that feels more like a shout out to the fans than it does the "look at the camera" wall breaking Deadpool is known for.

Last edited:
When he talks about the suit not being green or animated. That's 4th wall breaking type stuff there. And he's clearly still Wade at that time.

Director Tim Miller explains it himself:

"That got a good laugh at Comic-Con. For the most part, we try to stick to the rule that Wade Wilson can’t break the fourth wall. He’s not aware that he’s in a movie. Deadpool is. He only breaks the fourth wall when he’s Deadpool. So we’re tiptoeing on the edge of breaking our own rule there, because he’s still Wade at that point. We shot a few more Green Lantern jokes, but I’m not sure how many will survive the cut. Ryan definitely had some Green Lantern issues to work out. We had about a minute’s worth of dialogue between him and Colossus where he talks about it, like, 'So a guy comes with a thousand-dollar suit and says, "We want you to play a superhero," but there’s no script yet and the release date is completely unmakeable…' He goes on this whole anti-Green Lantern run, but I’m not sure it’ll stay in, because probably not even half the people in the theatres will get those jokes. You can’t only play to the comic fans. He’s spouting weird **** all the time, and if you don’t pick up on every joke, that’s fine. But you can’t leave everybody behind all the time. Any joke that an audience needs to look up on the internet after the movie is not something I’m in favour of. But that scene’s one for the DVD extras, for sure."
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/deadpool-trailer-breakdown/

Now we need him to be obsessed with Bea Arthur.

He was on the movie's official Pinterest site. Who knows if they'll address it in the movie. I don't remember if they did in the script.

When he talks about the suit not being green or animated. That's 4th wall breaking type stuff there. And he's clearly still Wade at that time.
Yea, but that isn't Wade being aware that he's in a comic/movie like Deadpool is post-experiments. There's breaking the 4th wall with dialogue that nods to the fans without the character "knowing", and then there's breaking the 4th wall and the character being aware of it. As JKR's quote points out, the former is exactly what they're doing in that scene. You have nothing to worry about.

Ok cool. I enjoyed that quote above from the director. So that actual line might not even be in the movie after all or it might be in a completely different context so no worries.

Because otherwise IMO that'd be a little over the line that they said they're tip-toeing around as I can't see a justification for him pulling that reference the way that he did if he's not yet 4th-wall aware.

I NEED that rant on the bluray. God, I hope there is just a bunch of extra takes on the bluray.

Ok cool. I enjoyed that quote above from the director. So that actual line might not even be in the movie after all or it might be in a completely different context so no worries.

Because otherwise IMO that'd be a little over the line that they said they're tip-toeing around as I can't see a justification for him pulling that reference the way that he did if he's not yet 4th-wall aware.

It's a throwaway line at the expense of Green Lantern, even though Wade Wilson is not consciously breaking the fourth wall. It's just a moment that winks at the pop-culture savvy audience. Happens a lot in movies, without characters actually breaking the fourth wall. Even though they're on the edge, they're not really crossing the line with Wade. It probably just seems much more specific in the trailer.

Wade's always had a sense of humour, even though nowhere the looney Deadpool level. At this point in the movie, he's probably just cracking jokes to distract himself from how shady and sh***y the place he's in looks.

BTW, I hope composer Junkie XL goes the whole ten yards with the darker and more vicious moments of the movie.

Last edited:
It's a throwaway line at the expense of Green Lantern, even though Wade Wilson is not consciously breaking the fourth wall. It's just a moment that winks at the pop-culture savvy audience. Happens a lot in movies, without characters actually breaking the fourth wall. Even though they're on the edge, they're not really crossing the line with Wade. It probably just seems much more specific in the trailer.

Wade's always had a sense of humour, even though nowhere the looney Deadpool level. At this point in the movie, he's probably just cracking jokes to distract himself from how shady and sh***y the place he's in looks.

BTW, I hope composer Junkie XL goes the whole ten yards with the darker and more vicious moments of the movie.

I get that but it's just such an unusual thing to talk about that it seems forced. Another example of this kind of this currently in theaters which is much easier to buy is Max Von Sydow's opening line in SW7 "This will being to make things right." It works as a dig at the prequels but also in the context of the story at hand. The green/animated suit bit? I can't imagine a way that it's anything else but a total dig at the GL movie with no extra meaning in the story at hand to make it believable. Now obviously I haven't seen the movie so maybe somehow they actually made it work both ways. If so then I'll be happy to be wrong. But at this point I don't see how I can be.

We don't seem to have a Concerns/Worries thread in this sub-forum so I'll just post mine here:

Based on what we're seeing in the trailers it looks like Deadpool had his insanity and humor and maybe even his 4th wall breaking abilities even before undergoing the proceedure which ultimately turned him into Deadpool. I thought those things in the comics were reversed...and indeed there's more logic to it in that order. I don't know, but it's just a niggling little thing that's bothered me so far.

The only thing I'm worried about going in is if they can carry enough jokes and have enough memorable/unique action moments to make it stand out and last the full 106 mins and we havn't already seen all the "best bits" in the trailer.

From what Ive seen and heard from the directors/makers they seem to really care about this project and seem to be saying and doing the right things so I'm pretty confident it will be pulled off well. I dont expect a Batman Begins level of epic origin story but thats not how this film is being presented or advertised so I'm cool with that and doesnt really fit the Deadpool character anyway. Keeping the story a simple "revenge" story is good idea and will hopefully work in its favour.

The only thing I'm worried about going in is if they can carry enough jokes and have enough memorable/unique action moments to make it stand out and last the full 106 mins and we havn't already seen all the "best bits" in the trailer.

From what Ive seen and heard from the directors/makers they seem to really care about this project and seem to be saying and doing the right things so I'm pretty confident it will be pulled off well. I dont expect a Batman Begins level of epic origin story but thats not how this film is being presented or advertised so I'm cool with that and doesnt really fit the Deadpool character anyway. Keeping the story a simple "revenge" story is good idea and will hopefully work in its favour.

I don't know if the trailers and spots have shown the best bits already. That's exactly why I watched just the first trailer in July, and the IMAX trailer, which didn't feature any new footage except for a brief shot.

Anyway, from what I can remember, the script never really run out of steam. It started in a great way, and kept going until the very end. It was very balanced in that regard.

And it's not really an origin story in the same vein as Batman begins or Sam Raimi's first Spider-man.

I don't know if the trailers and spots have shown the best bits already. That's exactly why I watched just the first trailer in July, and the IMAX trailer, which didn't feature any new footage except for a brief shot.

Anyway, from what I can remember, the script never really run out of steam. It started in a great way, and kept going until the very end. It was very balanced in that regard.

And it's not really an origin story in the same vein as Batman begins or Sam Raimi's first Spider-man.

Yes that is another positive, those more informed than me, that have seen most of the script all seem to say its good and very funny so that gives me the most hope.

Trailers are odd, you can have a great trailer for a film that turns out rather mediocre and vice-versa, hopefully, as seems the case, its just a taster of more that is to come. I've enjoyed both trailers so thats a good sign and I cant say that about every film trailer doing the rounds at the moment.

In less than a month know we will find out for ourselves and I think its just nerves getting the best of me and I might be over-hyped so just need to chill and take comfort in everything I've seen I've enjoyed and not over analyse.

I get that but it's just such an unusual thing to talk about that it seems forced. Another example of this kind of this currently in theaters which is much easier to buy is Max Von Sydow's opening line in SW7 "This will being to make things right." It works as a dig at the prequels but also in the context of the story at hand. The green/animated suit bit? I can't imagine a way that it's anything else but a total dig at the GL movie with no extra meaning in the story at hand to make it believable. Now obviously I haven't seen the movie so maybe somehow they actually made it work both ways. If so then I'll be happy to be wrong. But at this point I don't see how I can be.

It's Deadpool. His humor is over-the-top compared to Star Wars. Star Wars doesn't overtly break the Fourth Wall. Deadpool does. A joke that makes sense for one movie doesn't make sense for the other. I don't see the big deal about that. And I think you should expect jokes to be a bit more obvious in Deadpool because it's his style.

It's Deadpool. His humor is over-the-top compared to Star Wars. Star Wars doesn't overtly break the Fourth Wall. Deadpool does. A joke that makes sense for one movie doesn't make sense for the other. I don't see the big deal about that. And I think you should expect jokes to be a bit more obvious in Deadpool because it's his style.

I understand that but even from the director's comments above he admits that there are still rules to this universe. The main one being that Deadpool is the only one who gets to break the 4th wall and that Wade Wilson doesn't have that ability.

The Deadpool trailers have been a bit weird. It feels like there are a bunch of different takes, and that they've been mixing it up for the trailers and TV spots. So, I'm not really sure which takes are going to be in the movie.

Again, I have a burning NEED to hear Reynold's Green Lantern rant. It sounds amazing.

Every Ryan Reynolds comic book character he's played has been in a movie that was lackluster. Arguably not horrible, but yea. Blade: Trinity as Hannibal King was a waste. Should've been a vampire, not a cured one. Also, Green Lantern wasn't a bad movie, just boring. And X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a mess. Probably the worst of the three.

Every Ryan Reynolds comic book character he's played has been in a movie that was lackluster. Arguably not horrible, but yea. Blade: Trinity as Hannibal King was a waste. Should've been a vampire, not a cured one. Also, Green Lantern wasn't a bad movie, just boring. And X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a mess. Probably the worst of the three.

He's (partly) in charge here, though. And he probably wants to make up for the previous efforts.

Reynolds problem is his comic book movies have had lots of problems outside of him and his roles.

I think thats why many still wanted him for Deadpool as when he was Wade in origins he was good but the movie failed him and that's generally what happened with all of them. He didn't fail the movies the movies failed him

The Deadpool trailers have been a bit weird. It feels like there are a bunch of different takes, and that they've been mixing it up for the trailers and TV spots. So, I'm not really sure which takes are going to be in the movie.

Again, I have a burning NEED to hear Reynold's Green Lantern rant. It sounds amazing.

Yeah I find that a tad odd. In some ways it's good as like you said we don't know which will be in the final cut so there's some mystery but the downside is that people may prefer the other takes that aren't in the final cut.

I'd prefer the "I only have ten bullets so some of you will have to share" line than the "this guy wore the brown pants"

That's probably the biggest concern with the movie. Having so many jokes though means it's bound to have at least 1/4 that don't land for everyone if not half. Thing with jokes and humour though is one person may love one and another find it unfunny and vice versa.

I'm confident that the majority of jokes will land and make up for the ones that dont

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skaboss241
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"