Discussion: Relations with Russia

The rich get richer while the poor people die. It's the same all over. :(

True. But Russia takes it to a disgusting extreme, with government officials directly stealing out of the public purse on an epic scale and spending it on obscene luxuries.

True. But Russia takes it to a disgusting extreme, with government officials directly stealing out of the public purse on an epic scale and spending it on obscene luxuries.
I'm sure it's happening in Nort Korea and China, too. :( Communism only favors those with power.

I'm sure it's happening in Nort Korea and China, too. :( Communism only favors those with power.
It's the political structures that allow this; not how their economies are organized. Places like Russian, North Korea, and Russia have perverted political structures and their economies, from what I understand of them, are organized very differently. What's happening in Russia could happen in virtually any country if the political structure allows it. It happens in the US also; just to a lesser degree.

I think all three are different. China actually does invest in a wide areas of their country. Russia, the bulk of the money goes to two cities. There is a reason why the bulk of the mobilization is going to come from outside those two cities.

I think all three are different. China actually does invest in a wide areas of their country. Russia, the bulk of the money goes to two cities. There is a reason why the bulk of the mobilization is going to come from outside those two cities.
China, like Russia, doesn't seem to give a crap about their people. The covid lockdowns are a prime example, being handled with police and such. I'm not sure they would even blink at outright murder if it kept the masses in line. China wouldn't think twice at calling for a draft like Russia did, and I can see them not taking care of their soldiers either. :(

China, like Russia, doesn't seem to give a crap about their people. The covid lockdowns are a prime example, being handled with police and such. I'm not sure they would even blink at outright murder if it kept the masses in line. China wouldn't think twice at calling for a draft like Russia did, and I can see them not taking care of their soldiers either. :(
Yeah. Their overall political philosophies have a lot of similarities. The ruling political caste knows what's best for people and will provide it for them. How they invest can be very different. As we know from our own country (assuming you live in the US), keeping corruption out of politics is the most difficult part of running a country. How you organize an economy and the overall effect is much less subjective and can actually be somewhat predicted.

Yeah. Their overall political philosophies have a lot of similarities. The ruling political caste knows what's best for people and will provide it for them. How they invest can be very different. As we know from our own country (assuming you live in the US), keeping corruption out of politics is the most difficult part of running a country. How you organize an economy and the overall effect is much less subjective and can actually be somewhat predicted.
I do live in the US and at the risk of sounding alarmist, I do fear our government could be drifting in the same way -- a rich ruling political class making the rules for the rest of us schmoes. :( I am middle class and not as poor as some, but I resent the idea of a tiny few making all the rules -- and the profits. I wish for more overall equality for all, but I'm not sure how to do it.

I do live in the US and at the risk of sounding alarmist, I do fear our government could be drifting in the same way -- a rich ruling political class making the rules for the rest of us schmoes. :( I am middle class and not as poor as some, but I resent the idea of a tiny few making all the rules -- and the profits. I wish for more overall equality for all, but I'm not sure how to do it.
I think it's certainly moving more in that direction, but we were already there. Trickle down economics, corporate influence in elections, behavioral research into how people will respond to particular campaign lies, etc.

The problem was already here. It's just getting more blatant and worse.

I think it's certainly moving more in that direction, but we were already there. Trickle down economics, corporate influence in elections, behavioral research into how people will respond to particular campaign lies, etc.

The problem was already here. It's just getting more blatant and worse.
Indeed. I watch history documentaries and there it is. I think it's something you are only more aware of the older you get and the more you have to lose. I shudder to think of babies born today living in an America closer to modern Russia than a true democracy. :(

China is Communist in name only. A country with 539 billionaires can't reasonably be called Communist.
True. The idea behind Communism is wealth shared by all, but funny how that never seems to actually happen.

True. The idea behind Communism is wealth shared by all, but funny how that never seems to actually happen.
It’s great in theory but unfortunately too open to corruption and authoritarianism at the top.

Associated Press - Biden: Nuclear 'Armageddon' risk highest since '62 [USSR-Cuban Missile] crisis

“We have not seen any reason to adjust our own strategic nuclear posture, nor do we have indication that Russia is preparing to imminently use nuclear weapons,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said Tuesday.

Biden also challenged Russian nuclear doctrine, warning that the use of a lower-yield tactical weapon could quickly spiral out of control into global destruction.

“I don’t there is any such a thing as the ability to easily use a tactical nuclear weapon and not end up with Armageddon,” Biden said.

Speaking to Democratic donors, Biden said he was still “trying to figure” out Putin’s “off-ramp” in Ukraine.

“Where does he find a way out?” Biden asked. “Where does he find himself in a position that he does not not only lose face but lose significant power within Russia?”

Like virtually all political reform movements, one of benefit to the Russian people must be powered by the Russian people. If we are looking to the ruling class in Russia for political reform, we'll get more of the same or worse.

Hope all the Russians vacationing in Crimea got out. Based on how things have gone, I would not like to go on a Russian ferry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"