Are we facing a new Cold War?

Hobgoblin

Veritas veritatum
Reaction score
This is a spin off to the Russia invades Georgia thread. Hopefully this thread will be used more to discuss American/Russian relations, specifically.

I have heard that the two countries are headed towards a new Cold War. Do you think this is true? What are your reasons?

Personally, I think the relations have certainly gotten chillier, but this is very different from the Cold War. Russia may be exerting more influence on Europe (I heard Lou Dobbs say that Europe gets 50% of its energy from Russia, thus the tepid response to the Georgia War from Germany, France and Britain) but I cant see us nearly being so eye to eye as we were in the 60's.

I think there is a lot of "fear mongering" going on in the media. We in the US still see Russia as the enemy (and Putin may well be) and as soon as they do anything, we get jumpy.

Some reading:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/13/us.russia.diplomacy/index.html

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. In fact, I'm looking forward to nuclear holocaust. I've read "The Road," so I should be thoroughly prepared.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. In fact, I'm looking forward to nuclear holocaust. I've read "The Road," so I should be thoroughly prepared.

You sound like a liberal homosexual version of my conservative homophobic friend Ben :csad:

Seems like it but we'll have to wait and see how countries respond to this.

No. Putin wants more power in the reigon, but he is also smart enough to know Russia is not economically capable of maintaining an empire or picking a fight with any of the super powers (the US, EU, or China).

I think it is happening, and has been happening for quite some time. The only difference this time it we didn't know it, and it's over energy instead of weapons. I know this makes me sound like Mayor of Crazy Town, but I think that is the Main Reason they didn't support us in the Iraqi War, because Russia was apart of the Oil for Food Program with the UN, and they where Staged to see a lot of Oil, but the US came along and disrupted the whole thing. Then over the last few years, you hear about Venezuala and Iran meeting with Putin. I believe that Russia attacked, invaded, whatever, into Georiga to gain control of the Pipeline that runs through it. Hopeing to use the PeaceKeepers as an excuse on the International Media. I think they know that there is going to be a shortage of energy someday, and they want to be prepared for it. They are stockpiling their Resourse, and know that their Blend of Capitalism that they enjoy over there is dependant on Oil.

Edit - I've been playing catch up trying to follow this. However I'm putting my vote in the no hat. I'm sure Russia is still powerful, but I'm not sure it's powerful enough to go toe to toe with other Superpowers. China, and several other places have stepped their game up since the last cold war.

I can see there being an unerving tension, but not a full blown in your face stand off.

Considering the fact that Russia has just now threatened to nuke Poland over their planned missile shield, it pretty much confirms we're already in a new Cold War.

Considering the fact that Russia has just now threatened to nuke Poland over their planned missile shield, it pretty much confirms we're already in a new Cold War.

True, there is also the new weapons defense shield that Russia is against. They also threatened a military response if the system goes online. I dont know if they would really do that though. It seems like a bluff to me. Any "military response" into Poland would start WW3.

No. Putin wants more power in the reigon, but he is also smart enough to know Russia is not economically capable of maintaining an empire or picking a fight with any of the super powers (the US, EU, or China).

I pray to God you're right. I hope the U.S. stays out of this.

The head of the British secret service has said they are having trouble dealing with terrorism because Russians are still operating like they are in the cold war. They estimate there are a number of russian spies still operating in britain.

This seems pretty obvious after the Alexander Litvinenko fiasco in London two years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Litvinenko

Cheney needs to get his head out of his arse if he thinks we need to get involved. We need to keep our noses out of this mess. Iraq is still happening.

McCain has been doing a lot of sabre rattiling over this, which just convinces me more that he's the wrong man to be leading the free world.

McCain has been doing a lot of sabre rattiling over this, which just convinces me more that he's the wrong man to be leading the free world.

He'd be better equipped to handle this than black Jimmy Carter.

This is all overblown, i dont appreciate the media bringing fear of a new cold war into this situation. Its completely different, no world power is dumb enough to start a war between world powers. The only way a nuke will go off is if its in the hand of a terrorist not a world leader. What i wanna know is where Is Russia's president and how does he feel about this situation, its clearly that he has taken a back seat to Putins plans but he still is the president. What the U. S needs to do is have our European Allies back us up on this situation to scare Russias aspirations away.

Mr. "Bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran" war hungry McCain? On what basis?

Cheney needs to get his head out of his arse if he thinks we need to get involved. We need to keep our noses out of this mess. Iraq is still happening.

Can we afford to let an ally get slaughtered as we stand by and do nothing?

Wouldn't that pretty much destroy the bond of trust that any nation that faces the pressures of Russia, Iran or any problematic larger country? Letting Georgia be destroyed by Russia would do far more damage to American Diplomacy than every combined diplomatic mishap handled by Bush and Clinton.

I think basing anything purely on the logic of Putin is a scary notion.

He'd be better equipped to handle this than black Jimmy Carter.
Oh my god, oh my god! Black Jimmy Carter! Ah hahahahahah! Ooh hehehehe! Black Jimmy... Ha haha! My sides, they are splitting! Bwa hahaha oh hohohoho. You owe me a new keyboard/laptop/monitor/CPU/Palm Pilot! Tee hee hee! Heh heh heh! Black Jimmy Carter! :dry: :dry: :whatever:

The Russians signed the ceasefire agreement but last I saw on the news Russian tanks are still in Georgia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"