Do you think Marvel will EVER get the film rights to Spider-Man?

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be anytime soon, but do you think that Spider-Man will EVER be in the MCU? Even if its not for another 10-15 years.

Sony has to make a film every 5 years in order to keep the film rights to the character. When this current Marc Webb series is over (lets say by 2017 or so), they would have to reboot the series AGAIN after 5 years, or continue it. There was talk of Webb POSSIBLY mapping out a Spider-Man cinematic universe, leading up to a Sinister Six film or something. In that case, Sony would hold onto the rights for a VERY long time.

With the Oscorp tower almost being in the skyline, Spider-Man & Iron Man being in the target commercial together, and the ESU shirt appearing in the Item 47 short, does anyone think its possible that Spider-Man will at the very least make an appearance in an MCU film?

Let me hear your thoughts. Spider-Man is the flagship character and icon of Marvel comics, so I think he should have some part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

There should be a 'No, unless Sony drops the ball and forgets to make a Spidey film' choice, but since there isn't...I say no. It's Sony's biggest franchise they have going on.

Only if Sony goes bankrupt and has to sell off its assets and/or studio.

That means that Sony would continue making Spider-Man movies for all eternity. Well, not literally. Let's map this out...

2014- TASM2
2017- TASM3
2022 - Reboot
2024 - Sequel
2026 - Sequel

That means by 2026 we would have about 9 Spider-Man films. I think its more of a "who knows?" thing at this point.

It's very unlikely that Marvel gets Spidey back. I'd say there are three possible scenarios where we could see Spidey alongside Marvel/Disney.

1. Sony goes drops out of the film making business entirely, resulting in Marvel buying back the rights. Not likey, but also not extremely far fetched, Sony doesn't do unbelievably well in the box offices.
2. Marvel outright buys back the rights to Spidey. Also not likey, considering the sheer amount of dough Marvel/Disney would have to fork over (probably billions) and the fact that Sony would have to agree.
3. Disney and Sony make a temporary mutually beneficial deal or trade of some sort. Which is probably a lot more complicated than many of us think, but still the most plausible of options.

No, nor do I want them to, to be honest. Also, it's more like Sony has to produce a Spidey film every two years and have it released every 3-4.

That means that Sony would continue making Spider-Man movies for all eternity. Well, not literally. Let's map this out...

2014- TASM2
2017- TASM3
2022 - Reboot
2024 - Sequel
2026 - Sequel

That means by 2026 we would have about 9 Spider-Man films. I think its more of a "who knows?" thing at this point.
Why would they need to make a reboot after TASM3? It's clear they've set it up to be an ongoing story from now on ala MCU.

No, nor do I want them to, to be honest. Also, it's more like Sony has to produce a Spidey film every two years and have it released every 3-4.

Why would they need to make a reboot after TASM3? It's clear they've set it up to be an ongoing story from now on ala MCU.

My thoughts exactly. Even with recasting, the stories will be a continuation of the same universe.

Last edited:
I saw the title, and I'm just going to answer it with one word:

No

I believe Marvel and Sony will come to or already have come to some agreement on Spidey and the rest of the MCU. Unlike FOX, Sony only has Spidey seeing as I highly doubt they're making anymore GR films. If Spider-Man where to make a small appearance in a MCU film or vice versa it could mean a sizeable increase in Spidey's box office which is already doing pretty well. I also say this because Marvel and Sony have worked out a deal dealing with the animation and toy side of Spider-Man plus Emma Stone hinted at not being able to wait to see how Spider-Man interacts with the rest of the universe

simple answer: as long as people are interested in the character and the movies keep making money Sony will make this movies, sequels and reboots until the character is done to death. as soon as that happens Sony will negotiate with Marvel and give the rights back, but then it is way to late.

I think Spider-Man is the kind of character that could have a very long lasting film series if done properly. There are so many great stories to tell, and what we've gotten so far is the tip of the iceberg.

HOWEVER, the GA may get tired of him eventually, or lose interest simply because his films have no contribution to the Avengers or the MCU in general. If the box office gross gets much lower and gives Sony very little profit, they might consider selling or lending the rights to Marvel.

Until Sony goes bankrupt, no, they're never going to give up their gravy train.

Though Sony may want to reboot the Spider-man franchise for a third time within two decades after Garfield hangs up the tights, box office results may convince them otherwise. Though still extremely profitable, The Amazing Spider-man saw a 16% drop in worldwide box office from the awful finale of Raimi's trilogy, and I can't see the next reboot reversing the trend. With the character's merchandise and animation rights firmly under Disney/Marvel's control, Sony is going to have to do something different in order to keep their gravy train rolling.

My wild speculation? The next iteration of Spider-man will be Michael Morales, whose first appearance will come in Avengers 3 as a Fury recruit to replace whoever Whedon gets the green light to kill. This will come subsequent to the Amazing Spider-man 3's release in 2016 and effectively serve as the third reboot of the character. This will be followed by a Sony/Marvel joint release with Morales fully integrated into the MCU, perhaps serving as a SHIELD trainee as in the well rated but poorly received Ultimate Spider-man cartoon. The change in ethnicity and environment may be enough to goose future box office revenues and motivate Sony and Marvel to make an arrangement that can benefit both parties.

Though Sony may want to reboot the Spider-man franchise for a third time within two decades after Garfield hangs up the tights, box office results may convince them otherwise. Though still extremely profitable, The Amazing Spider-man saw a 16% drop in worldwide box office from the awful finale of Raimi's trilogy, and I can't see the next reboot reversing the trend. With the character's merchandise and animation rights firmly under Disney/Marvel's control, Sony is going to have to do something different in order to keep their gravy train rolling.

You think the sequel is going to have a drop? Don't think so

My wild speculation? The next iteration of Spider-man will be Michael Morales

Na, I think by that time he'll be from China.

I was talking about the next reboot, not the sequel. The sequel should do fine.

I see. If thats the case then your argument should go for every reboot, not just the next Spider-Man one.

simple answer: as long as people are interested in the character and the movies keep making money Sony will make this movies, sequels and reboots until the character is done to death. as soon as that happens Sony will negotiate with Marvel and give the rights back, but then it is way to late.

To me it's inevitable that the rights will revert back simply because of the tight window Sony has to make these films. It's seems impossible that there won't be a burnout at some point.

I see. If thats the case then your argument should go for every reboot, not just the next Spider-Man one.

It does. TASM and XMFC both saw a sizeable decrease in world wide box office from the final films in the preceding trilogy despite, in most people's opinions, being of greater quality than the preceding finales.

And Fantastic Four had a much bigger opening than Batman Begins. I wouldn't be surprised to see ASM2 and X-Men: DoFP perform gangbusters.

Anyway, by the time Marvel gets the rights back, I'd wager they'll be able to make a TV show because the necessary special effects will have caught up by then. So yeah, not for a long while.

It does. TASM and XMFC both saw a sizeable decrease in world wide box office from the final films in the preceding trilogy despite, in most people's opinions, being of greater quality than the preceding finales.
Yup. But I think a movie's success is directly related to the quality of the preceding film. X3 and SM3 succeeded in the box office thanks to them being sequels to X2 and SM2, two of the best superhero movies ever made. XMFC and TASM, by contrast, followed XMOW and SM3, two of the most disappointing superhero movies ever made.

Also, the marketing and production quality for XMFC sucked.

To me it's inevitable that the rights will revert back simply because of the tight window Sony has to make these films. It's seems impossible that there won't be a burnout at some point.
I do see people getting tired of the characters at some point. Though if that did happen, and Spider-Man was brought back to Marvel, I think people would be excited to see him on the big screen again since now he would be among other heroes as well.

Everyone thought the same in 2002...
What? The thought of a long-term, serial story was unthinkable in 2002. I doubt anyone was consciously thinking that thing would go on forever and ever. Furthermore, after doing the reboot once, it would be difficult for them to get away with it again as early as after TASM3 without catching major heat. We're in a completely different situation now.

Everyone thought the same in 2002...

Like Dent said no one back in 2002 thought it would even go as far as it did. And for the record it was supposed to go past SM3. It didn't because Raimi didn't like the treatment for SM4 and left which in turn made the rest of the cast leave too so they had to reboot it. Nolan is by far probably the only director who thinks of doing superhero films as trilogies. X-Men planned/plans on continuing the series beyond X3. Iron Man 3 hasn't even once been referred to as "the final Iron Man" or "the ending of a trilogy" by anyone. Every series ending in the third film is only because the fourth film has had unforseen problems. So to say Sony's rebooting the series after every 3 films is unfounded.

Its never gonna happen. Spider-Man is one of the top franchises of Sony right now. Unless they go bankrupt and loses all their millions, then I could see Marvel Studios getting the movie rights of Spider-Man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"