• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Do you think Marvel will EVER get the film rights to Spider-Man?

I think it will happen, but by that time we will all be senile. Too busy drooling on the caretaker than care about the difference between Tom Rothman's grandson's Fox or Warner Brothers. I guess for that single solitary time, ignorance wouldn't be bliss.

Sony's film division would have to cave or be gutted.

No Way will this ever happen.

As much as we all want to see Spiderman with The Avengers, it all comes down to one thing with the movie companies and that is MONEY...

I just look at the rights to the old 1966 Batman series never being released to blu ray or dvd. Fox produced the show, and Warner Bros owns the character, and here it is 40+ years later and there is no Batman 66 on blu ray or dvd.

(Of course, This is just one of many reasons Batman 66 hasn't been released, but I a sure money is the key factor in all of this)

What? The thought of a long-term, serial story was unthinkable in 2002. I doubt anyone was consciously thinking that thing would go on forever and ever. Furthermore, after doing the reboot once, it would be difficult for them to get away with it again as early as after TASM3 without catching major heat. We're in a completely different situation now.

Not to mention that between the 2 origin movies they've pretty much covered everything that needed to be covered. Now people won't be confused by webshooters instead of organics, or Gwen coming before MJ. TASM actually had gaps it was able to fill in for the uninitiated. Now there's nothing left that wasn't touched upon with regard to the origin. I seriously doubt we'll ever see another Spidey origin movie again. Maybe if they do reboot again they might do a during the credits TIH-style thing but that's about it.

Yeah we might get movies set earlier in his career but I doubt we ever see a true origin story again, or at least not for another 20-30 years.

No Way will this ever happen.

As much as we all want to see Spiderman with The Avengers, it all comes down to one thing with the movie companies and that is MONEY...

I just look at the rights to the old 1966 Batman series never being released to blu ray or dvd. Fox produced the show, and Warner Bros owns the character, and here it is 40+ years later and there is no Batman 66 on blu ray or dvd.

(Of course, This is just one of many reasons Batman 66 hasn't been released, but I a sure money is the key factor in all of this)

Just to note, not everyone wants to see Spider-man with the Avengers. I certainly don't. I want to see Spider-man in the MCU, which is *not* the same thing.

As long as Sony is in the film-making business and loaded, they will ALWAYS have Spider-Man. He's their big money-maker and they will do ANYTHING to keep the rights to him. At MOST (which is STILL really doubt will ever happen) you'll see a cameo in a Marvel movie. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Oscorp or the Daily Bugle in the background of the MCU at some point, like they discussed before.

Just to note, not everyone wants to see Spider-man with the Avengers. I certainly don't. I want to see Spider-man in the MCU, which is *not* the same thing.

I'm right there with you. Sure, I'd like him to bump into the Avengers occassionally but call me old school...I prefer Spidey as a bit of an outsider even among other superheroes. Of course I have little emotional investment in anything Marvel comics have done since Heroes Reborn(and including that itself). That's where I stopped reading comics. Anything that came after that seems alien to me and not the Marvel Universe I grew up reading.

Marvel doesn't have to be making 'homegrown' Spider-Man movies in order to make it so that a particular film version of the character(s) fits into the MCU, as the planned Easter Egg of the TASM OsCorp Tower appearing in The Avengers demonstrates.

As for actual appearances of Spider-Man or other related characters in one of the MIC films, I've yet to hear a compelling reason for this happening.

Last edited:
Well the Oscorp Industries logo appeared in the new IM3 game so that's something :oldrazz:

^ Easter Eggs like that I'm perfectly fine with; I'd even be fine with a reference - vague or otherwise - to Marvel's 'homegrown' films in a Spidey film or references to a Spidey film in one of Marvel' s 'homegrown' films.

I think Spider-Man could work in a Daredevil film.

Not to mention that between the 2 origin movies they've pretty much covered everything that needed to be covered. Now people won't be confused by webshooters instead of organics, or Gwen coming before MJ. TASM actually had gaps it was able to fill in for the uninitiated. Now there's nothing left that wasn't touched upon with regard to the origin. I seriously doubt we'll ever see another Spidey origin movie again. Maybe if they do reboot again they might do a during the credits TIH-style thing but that's about it.
What they should do is just continue making more Spider-Man movies taking place after high school, with Peter growing up, marrying Mary Jane, maybe becoming a teacher, etc. So many good stories to tell.

What they should do is just continue making more Spider-Man movies taking place after high school, with Peter growing up, marrying Mary Jane, maybe becoming a teacher, etc. So many good stories to tell.
I agree with this. I wonder if they would have gone in that direction with SM4 (since Peter kinda proposed in SM3). Can't know that now.

I agree with this. I wonder if they would have gone in that direction with SM4 (since Peter kinda proposed in SM3). Can't know that now.

The problem is getting those younger actors to be willing to sign long deals for all of the films. If the SM films are successful enough for 4-6 films, the demand for those young actors (Garfield, Woodley, DeHaan, Stone, etc.) would skyrocket. Would you want to be tied down, playing the same character for 9-12 years while other studios are throwing big money your way with opportunities to branch out?

That being said, if it would work, I'd like that story concept you mention. Could get very deep.

Well if they're going to do that then they'll need to actually cast real teenagers and have them grow with the project ala' Harry Potter.

Never gonna happen. Sony will stop making movies altogether before spiderman reverts back to marvel/Disney.

I think the only way Marvel can get Spider-Man's rights back is over Sony Picture's dead body, so unless they go bankrupt and belly-up, the likihood of that happening is slim to none. But if Sony is smart, they'd let Marvel borrow Spidey for Avengers' sequel, and with that extra marketing it would only help both companies' bottom line.

I would have thought buying Star Wars would have been impossible until recently.

So you never know. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Everyone thought the same in 2002...

Everyone was mistaken then, because the movie clearly wasn't framed to be episodic in the manner that most CBMs are these days.

Thinking back to all of the Spider-Man bullet points it nailed:

• Origin
  • Ben's death
  • MJ
  • High School
  • Harry
  • Flash
  • Infamous bridge scene
  • Goblin; archenemesis, and his subsequent death

The list goes on, but many of these are things that could have(and in some cases, should have) developed over the course of several films, but I think that Raimi & the powers that be wanted to make something of a definitive Spider-Man film. Although I enjoyed the movie, in retrospect they were probably a bit too eager to "cover all their bases", if you will. TASM is obviously trying to correct some of this, and is approaching the franchise in a more episodic manner.

The whole movie was a fairly self-contained story that hit all of the wickets, and although the cast and crew signed on for multi-picture deals, I'd say Spider-Man was initially meant to be a franchise of one-offs as opposed to a long, intricately connected narrative ala LotR.

To address the topic, it's anyone's guess. Truth be told, while it would be cool to see Spidey make cameos in other films, or even team up with other heros in an Avengers pic, he's always been a solid standalone character, so as long as the films are being handled well, I don't particularly care where he ends up. The landscape has changed for the genre in recent years, but I just don't think it's quite to the point where sprawling crossover events and multi-threaded adventures can work. That's all we want out of this anyway, but I don't think the cinematic landscape has room in it for an 'Amazing', 'Spectacular', 'Avenging', 'Scarlet Spider', etc to occupy the box office. Avengers would be fun every 4-5 years or so, but when it's all said and done, it's back to business as usual - one franchise, with one Spider-Man, and one focus.

If Sony manages to get their act together, I'd be content with them and Marvel making nice for cameos and Avengers collaborations.

I would have thought buying Star Wars would have been impossible until recently.

So you never know. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Spider-Man is good, but that franchise isn't even comparable to Star Wars.

Although there are some similarities:
Very good first movie
Better sequel
Both have an abortion of a film (Phantom Menace/Spider-Man 3)

That being said, in the film world, Spider-Man will NEVER reach Star Wars.

this is my 2 cents

box office numbers for amazing were below those for spiderman 3, and thats WHEN sony was making money off of merchandising, and lets face it, without merch royalties, how can sony cover another massive pr campaign? it cost money to advertise a movie, and yes, it cost money to advertise overseas. so regardless of how great everyone thinks amazing 2 is going to be, it will probably make less than amazing , but i could be wrong. sony did release the ps3 after all.

so fox is down to X-Men and Fantastic Four, fox just hired Mark Milllar to oversee their "own" shared universe which will fail, fox will get nothing on the merchandise side of things, the last official toy they made for an "x" movie was through mini-mates for first class, which was a tru exclusive and doesnt really count has "mass" market. regardless of what hard core fan boys want to say, the x-men movies have been only "slightly" successful (none have gone over 300 million domestically or over 500 million worldwide. for comparison, the worst spiderman movie did 300+/700+) I think its only a matter before we start seeing some crossovers, because everybody wants to get paid and with no merchandising money to cover a an advertising campaign, fox will give up first, i mean really 150 mil dom bo may seem like a lot of money, but its nothing when the movies budget was over 100 mil. the x movies profits have shrank since 3, and with sony having no merchadise money, spiderman will follow suit, my predictions:

fantastic four (going up against avengers 2 and possibly justice league) marvel gets them back in 2016

xmen (wolverine will tank, xdofp will see xfc numbers at best, and if fox will not share characters and give the FANS what they want)

after 2 more flops fox will cave in 2015

if sony doesnt reach out to disney (like they did prior to avengers)
i see spiderman coming home after amazing 2.........but i dont think sony will be that stupid.

please keep insults and spell checking to yourselves

Last edited:
No. Sony has no reason to give up the rights. It won't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"