Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness Rate And Review Thread(Tag Spoilers!!)

No spoilers,but the one - let me know if you want any and I'll post them for you - tagged of course.

Anyway, just saw it. Better than all the Phase 4 movies, not counting No Way Home ( which is much, much better).

Decent performances from Cumberbatch and Olson carry the film but wayyyy too much cgi nonsense and a convoluted story that should have been much tighter and about half an hour shorter.

What would have been "whooah!" moments were so overplayed that they were more "...whatever." moments.

The Illuminati are in this film, and honestly they serve pretty much zero purpose
other than to get killed by Wanda, which I kind of enjoyed as they came across like a bunch of smug cosplayers.

A 6/10. A bit less forgettable than Ant Man. The MCU is indeed struggling.

IMHO Dr Strange 1 was a much better film, the visuals were striking and really stayed with me. In this film they're just pretty but dont really leave a lasting impression. None of the performances top Tilda Swintons......although Multiverse of Madness has a much better villain.

I'll be surprised if its higher than 75% on RT when more reviews come in.

i don't know. I think I prefer the first movie simply because i don't know why they made

Wanda a villain... like I saw WandaVision but she had a total 180 in this. Dr. Strange 2 could have easily used a different lead villain. For the people that skipped that show, they would be confused and Vision wasn't even mentioned that much, its like they forgot him in the Multiverse

Visuals, sets, and music are great. The Multiverse as a concept is great but I wish they were more trippy alternate realities, we got 1 minute glimpse of it but they went back and forth to just 3 realities.

Christine got a better role. Mordo his role was a downgrade. I'm kinda meh on Wong here. I wasn't digging the "horror" like these are superheroes not the conjuring. Ms. America was alright but cliche teen who doesn't how to use her powers. Love Strange and his variants. Shuma gorath looked amazing.

The highlight for me are the Inhumans, the Fantastic Four and the X-Men officially joining the MCU. It is such a weird timing to see Patrick Stewart as Prof X again, the fancast favorite for Mr..Fantastic and the lead of the flopped show Inhumans together. Like that was such a moment. Carter, Mr. Fantastic and the Professor got the biggest applauds and the applauds were really just for the Illuminati reveals. Though I wish black Bolt and Mr. Fantastic weren't beaten in a flash second. The two Captains really got to fight the Scarlet Witch. love the X-Men theme being used.

Clea, I wasn't eXcited as she randomly appeared in the mid credits. But good for Marvel getting a high profiled actress for the role.

its an Eight for me. But there's something lacking for me. Like No Way Home, Civil War, winter Soldier were more satisfying. This one, I enjoyed it but it wasn't zomg so good.

i don't know. I think I prefer the first movie simply because i don't know why they made

Wanda a villain... like I saw WandaVision but she had a total 180 in this. Dr. Strange 2 could have easily used a different lead villain. For the people that skipped that show, they would be confused and Vision wasn't even mentioned that much, its like they forgot him in the Multiverse

Visuals, sets, and music are great. The Multiverse as a concept is great but I wish they were more trippy alternate realities, we got 1 minute glimpse of it but they went back and forth to just 3 realities.

Christine got a better role. Mordo his role was a downgrade. I'm kinda meh on Wong here. I wasn't digging the "horror" like these are superheroes not the conjuring. Ms. America was alright but cliche teen who doesn't how to use her powers. Love Strange and his variants. Shuma gorath looked amazing.

The highlight for me are the Inhumans, the Fantastic Four and the X-Men officially joining the MCU. It is such a weird timing to see Patrick Stewart as Prof X again, the fancast favorite for Mr..Fantastic and the lead of the flopped show Inhumans together. Like that was such a moment. Carter, Mr. Fantastic and the Professor got the biggest applauds and the applauds were really just for the Illuminati reveals. Though I wish black Bolt and Mr. Fantastic weren't beaten in a flash second. The two Captains really got to fight the Scarlet Witch. love the X-Men theme being used.

Clea, I wasn't eXcited as she randomly appeared in the mid credits. But good for Marvel getting a high profiled actress for the role.

its an Eight for me. But there's something lacking for me. Like No Way Home, Civil War, winter Soldier were more satisfying. This one, I enjoyed it but it wasn't zomg so good.

You know what mate
The one thing that stood out for me was how good Olson was as a villain. Not up there with Thanos, but she did a good job, it was as much her movie as Strange's really. Luckily she was up to it.

The story was rubbish and the bells and whistles were dialed up to 11. Totally agree the first film was much better.

Somebody hurled on me when Zombie Strange entered the picture. It wasn't that bad IMO. A revision of the rating is required, I missed the last 20 minutes.

6/10

I'm disppointed by the movie. The whole vision of it, maybe the directing. Technically it's fine and the actors are very fine ! But it's ot about Steven Strange but Wanda. Too many characters having too much space and not enough focus on S.Strange ! Some scene are even neglectable some long empty scenes and not enough character. Very far from it.
I'm quite disappointed because I was expecting, so to speak, a focus on him after seeing him appearing in other marvel movies. They don't go further than the previous Dr Strange movie did, which is very sad and make the whole thing almost empty.In one word : I didn't get enough of Benedict Cumberbatch/Steven Strange.
It's the whole vision of it all that is unbalanced and going nowhere really.

Sorry guys, this was bad. Synder level of bad. Style over substance, throwing Wanda completly under the bus. I was in shock what they decided to let her do - and not in the intended way. That was badly written I dont want imagine how this would look before the actual reshoots. Sure Olsen delivered her A-Game, but I see why she didnt looked so excited in the interviews to me.

Also, there was nothing interesting about America Chavez besides the fact she has two mothers. Oh, and she likes Pizza. Great. She was a one-trick pony in every scene she was involved.

Everything about the actual Multiverse was random and, thats even worse, boring. Or cringe. The
music
battle? Every scene related a 3rd eye felt poor. Come on.

I feel betrayed and I am sure the majority of the Wandavision fanbase will feel the same.

Reposting/rewording my first thoughts:

It’s fine but not the groundbreaking film Marvel and others hyped up. But then again not every film needs to be a game changer and Marvel’s long form storytelling approach means that some movies will advance the narrative without necessarily being a huge leap forward. It happened in the past and it’s going to happen again. The main issue I see here is definitely the disconnect between the hype and the end result and Multiverse of Madness will no doubt get a lot of vitriol for that even though it has some undeniable qualities. I feel though that it would have had a much bigger impact if it was released closer to Wandavision and more importantly if it was the first movie playing with the concept of a multiverse like originally envisioned before Covid forced Marvel to rework their slate.

Overall the movie is fast paced but doesn’t feel rushed, makes some bold choices (by Marvel’s standard), it’s super entertaining and sometimes really pushes the boundaries of what a PG-13 rating allows. People who enjoy Raimi’s style should have a blast. Others, like me, may find some stylistic choices a little bit off-putting although his horror inclinations and at times brutal vision elevates some key sequences. Not every choice should be commended though as some of the much anticipated cameos are nothing more than multiversal winks to Marvel fans while others may feel like missed opportunities at the moment. The score unfortunately misses the mark (especially compared to Giacchino’s stellar work on the first movie) and I felt a bit letdown by the costume designs (both in concept and execution).

All in all it’s fine but people should most definitely keep their expectations in check.

I give it 3 Stephens.

Last edited:
Style over substance
Ok, I have to agree here. It didn't have much substance and I don't understand what they did to Wanda (and why). It didn't make sense to me.

And for a movie that is called Multiverse of Madness, there weren't much of that. And what there was could've been better. It didn't live up to the hype IMO.

And worst. Post. Credit. Scene. Ever. That wasn't funny at all.

Fresh out. I'm buzzing. Gave it a 9. Might change my mind when the dust settles, but I am a sucker for fan service.

And as a Inhumans fans I lost it when Anson walked on screen. Inhumans was a horrible show, but the cast were great and deserve shot in the MCU.

The trailers for this and NWH built way too much hype and high expectations for this than what it actually turned out to be.

There was barely any multiverse madness and NWH didn't really carry over the consequences for Strange in the film. It was basically
America who opened the multiverses and travelled with Strange through them, rather than the spell in NWH that crack-opened the Multiverse.
The trailers made it out like Strange was going to have to face the consequences from his actions in NWH and that didn't happen at all. He still walked around and made jokes left and right, even one about Spider-Man.

The Illuminati were cool, but they barely had any screen time (5 mins tops) and then
Wanda brutally dispatches every single one of them
. No other crazy appearances like everyone else expected.

I still quite liked Sam Raimi's visual style and it was also pretty much a horror film in tone. Defender Strange, the choices made for his character (especially towards the end) and Danny Elfman's score were an absolute blast, though. Elizabeth Olsen was phenomenal as usual.

They really should've left Sam Raimi to do more of his magic and make it less safe, rather than trying to tick boxes, in order to make it "the next MCU entry".

P.S Wong changing wigs because of the re-shoots was hilarious.

7/10.

Last edited:
Fresh out. I'm buzzing. Gave it a 9. Might change my mind when the dust settles, but I am a sucker for fan service.

And as a Inhumans fans I lost it when Anson walked on screen. Inhumans was a horrible show, but the cast were great and deserve shot in the MCU.
Yes, agreed with that spoiler. Worked well here.

A solid 7/10 and no 9 overall in my MCU rankings. It was refreshing seeing a Marvel movie as violent and horror-tinged as this one. Great camerawork and music. The cameos were cool.
I liked the fact that the characters are front in the center in the third act and don't get drowned in a sea of CGI monsters and flying fortresses.

Pasting from another thread. My general feeling is "I didn't hate it", which isn't to say I think it's good. I would put it bottom tier MCU. There's enough there to enjoy, but the horrific script really holds it back. The editing was absolutely atrocious. The thing about the runtime? Oh yeah, this movie was absolutely Justice League-d right down to the really bad/obvious reshoots with changing hair. I don't think extra time could've helped all that much, but I could feel the missing pieces.

At the very least it was nice to see someone with a discernible style behind the camera. This movie is certainly Raimi to the point of being obnoxious at times. Almost like a parody towards the end.

The Good:
- Lizzie killed this role. I need more of her playing villains because her chewing up the scenery was probably the leading reason I didn't absolutely detest Wanda in this film
- The creativity with the main character's powers. This is the most "magical" I've felt either character felt. There's still a lot of nerfing going on with Wanda, which was annoying, but for the most part I thought all the action was inventive. Wanda in the mirror dimension was the standout scene of the film for me
- Visually I found the film to be a treat. Creative camera work, really striking imagery, at some really great effects at time.

The Bad:
- Editing... whoever edited the first half of this film should be fired. Dreadful. One sequence in particular just reeked of studio editing
Wanda's character was a mess. There's a really crucial piece missing there that bridges the insanity gap between this and WandaVision. The motivation and goal? Fine. The insane murdering of people? Not fine. The cruelty and callousness she showed was way too extreme for this character, and some of this would've worked better if she was just simply incapacitating them. Which then also presents more of an interesting conflict because one character isn't a psychopath, even with the wishy washy Darkhold aspect
- The "horror" aspects got really over played towards the end and even fell into the pitfalls of a lot of horror films of just being obnoxious with characters being stupid for no reason. I got sick of the jump scares after awhile
- The Illuminati... just why. Gimmicky fan service that was just unnecessary and stupid. All those characters sucked. Using the 90s theme doesn't make any of that less annoying and stupid

The Mixed
- Strange's character. Really interesting idea on paper, but I didn't feel like they did enough with it. That whole thing could've carried a film, but it felt as if someone put it on the back burner until slightly relevant
- America Chavez. More of a plot device than a character, the actress was pretty good in the role
- The music. Man, modern Danny is just not it. I thought Raimi could've gotten something better out of him like Burton manages, but I was wrong. There seems to be themes, but they're not all that identifiable and the lack of Giacchino's theme/ use of harpischord was disappointing. Some nice pieces, but not remotely close to his best works

Just got out and I'll write something later but I thought it was good.

I felt like I was watching a Dr. Strange comic come to life and seeing how much of Sam Raim's influence was in the film def knocks it a couple of notches. Solid 8/10 for me.

Just got back and I loved it! I knew a lot of spoilers going in, and wasn't bothered by anything really. This was a blast! It was so welcoming to have Raimi back directing and his touch is felt all over the movie, particularly the second half. I get why some may be disappointed, but for me this is what I was looking for out of the MCU for a while now. I'm so happy Feige let Raimi run wild!

Overall a very enjoyable ride and it was so nice to see Raimi do his thing again after so long. It's not perfect by any means and I feel there are a lot of plot elements that could have been given more room or been done differently, but besides that it's a plus for me.

This was a great fantasy pulp adventure...and very Sam Raimi. Some issues here and there, but overall this was an extremely fun flick.

Enjoyed it far more than the first film and love that Marvel took a risk with the tone and letting Raimi go all out. A lot of these D+ Marvel shows and films last year (sans No Way Home) just felt generic.

America Chavez was a solid addition to the cast. Actress did excellent in that role.

8.5/10

Yeah I liked it. I give it a 7.

I was really pleased with the film. I gave it a 9/10. As a big Sam Raimi fan, I was glad his sensibility was all over this film. The horror elements were amazing, and the acting from all involved was exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"