E3 2012 Sony Conference Edition

I know people want to own physical copies, but you've seen where music has gone as of late, as well as movies. Games are next on the block.

But there will be an option to watch it on the PS3 & on the TV. Which is better then on a Computer Monitor

Oh, I dunno. It'll be in Home, yeah, but that won't be a better option over a computer monitor.

You don't see the value in being able to play video games instantly, without having to go out and buy a disk or download and install the game? You don't see the value in a next generation console that could potentially cost as low as $99 and take up no more space than an iPod?

The die hard Sony fans will go for it. But what happens when your connection goes down ? You lose those games that you paid for & you can not play them. Until the connection goes back online. Would the non die hards go for that ? I just dont think the market is big enough yet & what if that service goes down for whatever reason for a bit ? Look at how many times DC Universe Online goes down for the PS3. I dont think most customers would have the patience

Last edited:
You don't see the value in being able to play video games instantly, without having to go out and buy a disk or download and install the game? You don't see the value in a next generation console that could potentially cost as low as $99 and take up no more space than an iPod?
Nope. I dont like the idea of a constant online connection to play my games. Its not as if Sony's reputation is known for having the best servers. I know for me, my internet provider occasionally has several times where service is down and if that happens, I wouldnt be able to play anything and Im in a pretty populated area. Other places have it worse and not everyone has hi-speed internet. Many countries impose a bandwith cap on internet and theres been heavy talk of that coming to the US in the last year. Not to mention the graphics and quality of the games would take a hit. Ever try OnLive? When the connection isnt at its optimal, the video drops in resolution and quality to remain playable, but it can look pretty ugly as a result

On a small scale like a handheld, I can see it working, but not as a replacement for what will be the next gen home consoles. If you are expecting a PS4 thats as small as an iPod and $99 than I say keep dreaming. Not gonna happen. Sony would be killing itself in the game market if it went this route. If anythign the streaming will be an additional option, not a replacement for traditional gaming

Ever try OnLive?

I have, and it's worked flawlessly every time I've used it.

On a small scale like a handheld, I can see it working, but not as a replacement for what will be the next gen home consoles.

I never said such a device would be a replacement.

If you are expecting a PS4 thats as small as an iPod and $99 than I say keep dreaming. Not gonna happen. Sony would be killing itself in the game market if it went this route. If anythign the streaming will be an additional option, not a replacement for traditional gaming

Once again, I never said or insinuated it would be a replacement. Anyway, contrary to your theory, I think if such a theoretical device were to exist alongside a more traditional and more expensive PS4 as a much cheaper, entry-level alternative, I think it could be extremely beneficial to Sony.

If the next Generation consoles are as small as Onlive i would definitely get it! I mean you can carry it in your pocket how awesome does that sound.

I'm really hoping it's GaiKai and not Onlive, because they are upgrading their servers.

Having tried OnLive, another cloud-based gaming service, I can say streaming games has me rather skeptical, as lag and framerate issues choked off my Batman: Arkham Asylum enjoyment to a choppy slideshow. However, Nvidia’s Ujesh Desai claims that, when Gaikai upgrades its data centers to run on Nvidia GeForce GRID, server-side latency will be reduced by 30 ms, on top of decreased data center costs.
“Latency will go down so that it will feel like a local console,” said Desai. “Server power is reduced by one half and game encoding is moved from the CPU to the GPU. Therefore, server GPU and game density can be increased by four times. This reduces game streaming costs. Higher quality modes are now possible.”

At an Nvidia press event, Adhesive demoed Hawken on Tegra 3 tablets, showing the game streaming at 60 fps in 720p HD with no latency.

http://geek.pikimal.com/2012/05/16/meteor-gaikai-partnership-brings-hawken-to-tablets-smart-tvs/

I would definitely take advantage of this with games like DC Universe Online. It would save so much space & time when it comes to DLC & Expansions

I know people want to own physical copies, but you've seen where music has gone as of late, as well as movies. Games are next on the block.

But what works for music is that music files are incredibly small. Movies and games though are two completely different bags. With movies (and television) it seems streaming as opposed to full on downloads is where the industry is headed to with services like Netflix and Amazon Video on Demand. With games though, the industry is still far too dependent on physical copies. Game files are far too big and most of the world has data caps that hinder peoples' abilities to download massive game files like Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto, etc.

Reports are coming in that Sony is in talks about acquiring either Gaikai or OnLive.

But what works for music is that music files are incredibly small. Movies and games though are two completely different bags. With movies (and television) it seems streaming as opposed to full on downloads is where the industry is headed to with services like Netflix and Amazon Video on Demand. With games though, the industry is still far too dependent on physical copies. Game files are far too big and most of the world has data caps that hinder peoples' abilities to download massive game files like Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto, etc.
My god, I cant imagine having to stream MGS4

The way I see it is that this is just to get the ball rolling. Yes it won't be of much use if it does come to PS3, but it's only going to be a three or four more years when this **** gets real, and then Sony can say that they started it all.

Looks more and more like it is Gaikai, which would be awesome.

The signs are pointing to an acquisition of Gaikai at the hands of Sony.
Yesterday MCV exclusively revealed that Sony was on the cusp of purchasing a high profile cloud gaming firm, thought to be either Gaikai or OnLive.
Now this morning Gaikai has sent out invitations to journalists for what it is heralding as a game-changing announcement.
“Gaikai has some major announcements in store for E3 that have the potential to change the future of video games, game consoles and how we play,” it reads.
It is unlikely that the deal means Sony is abandoning more traditional models for the PS4, but it does mean that it intends to diversify its offering. Expect disc-based games to soon become simply one option amongst many.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/gaikai-emerges-as-sony-acquisition-frontrunner/http://playstationlifestyle.net/201...o-change-future-of-video-games-game-consoles/

Probably why it's possible for Sony to buy them.

Yeah, they mostly do Demos and have a smaller library of full games in comparison to Onlive. There are probably a lot less hoops for Sony to jump through than going the Onlive route. For those interested, here's some info.

Main site:
http://www.gaikai.com/

History:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaikai

From the first page of the thread, Onlive/Gaikai comparison from March:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-gaikai-vs-onlive

Gaikai upgrading to Nvidia's GeForce Grid:
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/301026,nvidia-to-take-gaming-into-the-cloud-with-gakai-and-hawken.aspx

Last edited:
Sony Conference will be streamed on the Blog, Home, an App on your PS3, and Nico Nico App on Vita.

First, I’m uber-hyped to share details about our ambitious livestreaming plan. Once again, we’ll be streaming E3 to you live, worldwide, over four jam-packed days. The live E3 broadcast begins this Monday, June 4th at 5:30pm Pacific/8:30pm Eastern with the PlayStation E3 2012 Press Conference, the most exciting (and most Tweeted-about) event on the PlayStation calendar. We’ll then continue the live broadcast through the rest of the week with live gameplay demos for hot upcoming PS3 and PS Vita games — 25 to 30 new game demos in all. We’ll even be snagging your questions from Twitter and posing them to the developers. Make ‘em count!

You’ll find the livestream here on PlayStation.Blog, as well as PlayStation Home, PlayStation.com, Facebook, Google Plus, and Ustream. And, for the first time, you’ll be able to watch E3 live directly on your PS3 — a handy icon will be located under the What’s New section on your XMB. PS Vita’s even getting in on the E3 action, with the new Nico Nico video app supporting a beta feed of our E3 livestream. Technology!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-2012-watch-live-attend-the-press-conference/

Also...

Starting this Monday, June 4th, you can log into PlayStation Home and get your daily fix with our virtual E3 experience. Begin by watching the PlayStation E3 Press Conference LIVE in our special E3 Theater on Monday, June 4th at 6:00pm Pacific/9:00 PM Eastern (that’s 7:00pm MDT and 8:00pm CDT, BTW). Then on Tuesday, June 5th at 12:00pm Pacific/3:00pm Eastern, we will open the doors to the virtual E3 booth and let millions of players into a gaming event unlike anything you’ve ever experienced before!

Embark upon a quest hosted by Christina Lee where you will check out the newest PlayStation games, unlocking tons of exclusive content from the top titles that we will be showing on the floor. Collect them all to gain access to the VIP area, where you can get hands-on with an unreleased game and get access to even more PlayStation content. The best part? You don’t even have to leave your couch – the 2012 virtual E3 experience in PlayStation Home is 100% free to all PlayStation gamers and delivered to you from the comfort of your PS3.

See you there!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/01/experience-the-2012-e3-show-live-in-playstation-home/

Last edited:
That would be a bit more appealing than PS3 games. If that's the case than I'd hope they'd still make the games available for download for those who want to purchase them

I would say Sony should also use that for MMO's on the PS3. It would be extremely helpful

I would say Sony should also use that for MMO's on the PS3. It would be extremely helpful
Im not sure if thats even a possibility. That would just be way too much to stream. The price would most likely be ridiculous as it most likely would not be a free to play model and I think MMOs need that to thrive on a console

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"