EA and BioWare's Anthem

tried a bit of the demo last night on Xbox. ran into the loading screen "freeze" issue several times, so it took a while for me to be able to actually experience the game.

Unfortunately, if the demo is indicative of the final product, this game just went from a preordered, must buy to a maybe. And the issue for me is the flying.

As I've stated here before, the flying aspect is the biggest draw for me, especially since this is not the traditional single player Bioware game.

Well, in the demo, flying is fun, but it only lasts a few seconds at a time due to the overheating mechanic. Hopefully, in the final game, the overheating variable is something we can control and extend with character progression and/or suit customization.

Otherwise, if you are only able to fly in short bursts of several seconds at a time, then that would severely limit the biggest draw of the game to me.

Add to that the fact I found out there's no actual face creation because you explore the Fort base in 1st person and in combat you are in the suit. So, that's another area where the game lacks the traditional Bioware experience.

And, speaking of exploring the Fort base, in the demo, the walking speed is relatively slow. In the final game, that needs to be faster or else give us the option to run/sprint in 1st person. Otherwise, I think traversing the Fort will become painfully slow and tedious.

So, right now, I'm less sure about this game.

Last edited:
It's a damn shame Anthem ended up as a loot shooter. I think if they kept the gameplay, and went for a more narrative driven, RPG styled focus, it'd be looking so much better.

They have a pretty neat world crafted here, and the appeal of flying around like Iron Man and using all kinds of guns and crazy tech is goddamn awesome.

But to use all that on a loot shooter is just a waste. All this creativity for a game that just boils down to:

Fly here, shoot things, collect reward x 10384748392020284830$049 times.

Too bad.

It's not like it's entirely surprising given what we've known about the game from day one. I think there could be a huge untapped world in regards to narrative-driven online gaming, where developers are creating and evolving the story through player feedback, but that's never what Anthem was going to be. It was always a Destiny clone. Classic BioWare has been dead for some time.

tried a bit of the demo last night on Xbox. ran into the loading screen "freeze" issue several times, so it took a while for me to be able to actually experience the game.

Unfortunately, if the demo is indicative of the final product, this game just went from a preordered, must buy to a maybe. And the issue for me is the flying.

As I've stated here before, the flying aspect is the biggest draw for me, especially since this is not the traditional single player Bioware game.

Well, in the demo, flying is fun, but it only lasts a few seconds at a time due to the overheating mechanic. Hopefully, in the final game, the overheating variable is something we can control and extend with character progression and/or suit customization.

Otherwise, if you are only able to fly in short bursts of several seconds at a time, then that would severely limit the biggest draw of the game to me.

Add to that the fact I found out there's no actual face creation because you explore the Fort base in 1st person and in combat you are in the suit. So, that's another area where the game lacks the traditional Bioware experience.

And, speaking of exploring the Fort base, in the demo, the walking speed is relatively slow. In the final game, that needs to be faster or else give us the option to run/sprint in 1st person. Otherwise, I think traversing the Fort will become painfully slow and tedious.

So, right now, I'm less sure about this game.
it was shown in all the articles I put up in video .

With the exception of the storm javelin Exo suit's the other's can't stay in the air with out over heating. you have to be near a water fall to cool your engine's down. if you want to stay in the air then the storm's for you. the other need to be cooled often.

I am on the fence about this one.

With a wife and a toddler and new born as you can imagine time is valuable. I only got to get into the VIP "Demo" twice on Saturday. I sort of liked playing it, but did not get enough time. Other attempts to log in were met with failure.

Does not give me high hopes. I wonder if it is too late to cancel my pre order now that VIP "Demo" access has come and gone.

It was this or BDO even though that is more my type of game, I know that it is a time hog so I choose Anthem, hoping it is was a 100 well spent.

it was shown in all the articles I put up in video .

With the exception of the storm javelin Exo suit's the other's can't stay in the air with out over heating. you have to be near a water fall to cool your engine's down. if you want to stay in the air then the storm's for you. the other need to be cooled often.
oh really??

I haven't been watching that many videos or reading many articles, other than a few things here or there.

hopefully I can check out the Storm suit in the demo this weekend.

oh really??

I haven't been watching that many videos or reading many articles, other than a few things here or there.

hopefully I can check out the Storm suit in the demo this weekend.
Look up the articles I put up the page prior most of the thing's you may be seeking are in them in the video's. I seek for the informative stuff when I'm able to find them

Look up the articles I put up the page prior most of the thing's you may be seeking are in them in the video's. I seek for the informative stuff when I'm able to find them
I appreciate you posting the articles and vids.

it's just I haven't had much time to read/watch them...…..lol

but I'll start doing so in the runup to Anthem, so I can decide which class I want to play as.

Still think I'm going to lean Ranger, since Storm seems so fragile and glass canon like a mage.

I prefer playing warrior types, and usually bread and butter sword-shield types. Ranger seems closest to that, with Colossus being closer to a "heavy weapon" tank character. Interceptor is obviously rogue and Storm is mage.

How impressive are the game visuals?

I only got to play for 10 minutes, but I thought the visuals were pretty impressive.

but then I've watched some demo impression vids who harped on the visuals saying they're only so-so.

The visuals look like a combination of Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda.

I honestly don't see this thing doing particularly well. Hopefully this will be the second wake up call that EA needs to get their **** together.

Just DL it earlier.

This demo is hot garbage. It's barely even functional. The controls are terrible and barely even responsive.

It's like they took Andromeda gameplay and combat, vomited all over it, dumped it into a bucket of razors and dropped it down the steps of the Buddhist monastery from Ace Ventura 2.

How are they going to have a game ready in mere days?

Now The Division and Destiny are both very flawed games. But their open demos were infinitely smoother and more playable than this.

Ft. Tarsis is so clunky and restrictive. And it's in First Person. Why is it in first person?

Combat everything looks bad. The screen looks cluttered and like chaotic. I have no idea what's going on. When it's static it looks OK. It's hardly Witcher 3 or Uncharted 4.

They could have just given us ME4.

Combat everything looks bad. The screen looks cluttered and like chaotic. I have no idea what's going on. When it's static it looks OK. It's hardly Witcher 3 or Uncharted 4.
Oh right :csad:

6 days ago
BioWare Explains Why ANTHEM's VIP Demo Was So "Rocky"; Offers Free Vinyl At Launch As An Apology
BioWare has issued a response to the "rocky" first day of Anthem's VIP Demo, revealing what the three main issues were and how they are addressing them moving forward.Read more

4 days ago
ANTHEM BioWare Lists Issues That Are Already Fixed For Launch
After listening to player feedback from the Anthem VIP demo weekend, BioWare is aware of the work that has to be done before release and has issued a community letter summarizing their plans before launch!Read more

1 day ago
BioWare Is "Confident" Heading Into ANTHEM'S Open Demo This Week; Lists Fixes Made For Launch
Prepare for battle as the Anthem Open Demo kicks off tomorrow. Ahead of its start, BioWare has delivered a community update expressing confidence in the improvements they've made since the VIP Demo.Read more

17 hours ago
ANTHEM Was Initially Considered Being A Free-To-Play Title
Developer BioWare's upcoming online multiplayer action game, Anthem, was initially considered being a free-to-play title. Here are the details behind the original game plan for the project.Read more

Anthem will be offering free expansions featuring different creatures and settings. This post-launch content will not be charing players at all, just like The Division 2. Anthem's open demo is available right now.

18 hours ago
ANTHEM Open Demo Is Now Live; Here's Some Of What's Included
Jump into your Javelin and explore the world of Anthem. The open demo is now live for everyone who wants to experience BioWare's new shared-world shooter.Read more

When you embark on your journey, you'll begin as a level 10 pilot with a fully equipped javelin of your choice. You'll be able to unlock a second javelin of your choice (Ranger, Colossus, Storm, or Interceptor) at level 12. The open demo is capped at level 15; however, you'll be able to personalize your javelins and change your loadouts using the Forge.

For those of you who participated in last week's VIP demo, your progression - Pilot level, unlocked Javelins, looted gear and weapons - will carry over to the open demo
. And as a reminder, anyone who participated in the "rocky" VIP demo will receive a free vinyl at launch.

source: GameFragger.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Trailers and more!

Played the Demo yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Gun play, flight and melee combat (as the Interceptor) all feel great. Graphics are stunning, frame rates are stable most of the time.

Now to wait 2 months to see if people will be still playing it, have good things to say about it and the microtransaction store won't be complete bs.

there was one I missed it seems it's not just the vinyl.
anthem-fort-tarsis-213x120.jpg

After a rocky Anthem demo weekend, BioWare is giving players a free Javelin skin

6 days ago |
January 27, 2019 BioWare has acknowledged that Anthem’s VIP demo weekend was “rocky,” so they’re giving participants a free in-game vinyl.

Anthem’s VIP demo weekend didn’t quite go as planned – players couldn’t log in for hours, and once they did, infinite loading screens kept many from launching expeditions from Fort Tarsis. Problems with the demo eventually spread across EA’s live services, making entire PC game libraries inaccessible to some players.

BioWare’s head of live service, Chad Robertson, updated the community with a blog post Saturday. While many players assumed EA and/or BioWare had failed to provide adequate servers for the demo weekendRead more

source: PC games news and reviews from PCGamesN.com

I was wondering why I couldn't get to a tutorial until I realized there was none and they just throw you into that **** blind. I was flying when I didn't want to, bouncing off stuff.

Played the Demo yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Gun play, flight and melee combat (as the Interceptor) all feel great. Graphics are stunning, frame rates are stable most of the time.

Now to wait 2 months to see if people will be still playing it, have good things to say about it and the microtransaction store won't be complete bs.
Cool. I might not get time to try it this weekend so I'm interested in what everyone else thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"