Election Politics are over, time to support our new President

I could see using 'stolen' if the election was within 15 electoral votes...but the margin of victory is friggin' huge...thewill of the American people was felt last night...

Obama - 349

McCain - 173

that's not stealing, that's a beatdown

I could see using 'stolen' if the election was within 15 electoral votes...but the margin of victory is friggin' huge...thewill of the American people was felt last night...

Obama - 349

McCain - 173

that's not stealing, that's a beatdown

UltimateJustin was actually talking about the primaries, saying Obama stole the primary and nomination from Hillary.

Oh my mistake and apology.....I think the primary could have gone either way...I also feel that if Hilary got the nom, McCain would have won

Oh my mistake and apology.....I think the primary could have gone either way...I also feel that if Hilary got the nom, McCain would have won

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...I'm not convinced of that. But I don't think independents particularly care for her.

I wonder if this thread would've existed if there were a politics forum on here in 04.

That's not "stealing" anything though. It's a smart strategy. Going against the most popular name in the Democratic Party is not easy. Starting the campaign he was at a huge disadvantage in every area: money, brand name, exposure to the public, and on and on...and did I mention he's a black guy with Hussein as his middle name? Even as he tried to let voters get to know him, plenty of them refused to even consider the notion that he might be a decent person simply because of those two factors. And yes, I'm talking about the Democratic Primary. It played out eerily similar to a General Election, with Hillary winning a vast majority of the rural vote (the people more likely to be uninformed about Obama and suspicious of him).

I did not say that he stole the nomination. What I have said was that I believe that caucusses are not democratic and should be eliminated.

You know how they act as if Jesse Jackson is the voice of all black people? Well now thats you."

And it's about damn time.

I voted for McCain, on the basis that I saw his plans as the "lesser of two evils". In my opinion as an American voter, I do not believe Barack Obama will be a good President. He has numerous ties to Islam, supports both gay marriage and abortion, and wants to withdraw our men and women in uniform from Iraq prematurely.

And the whole "divorcing his wife" thing? Where does that fall, in terms of morality?

-He supports a woman's right to choose, not abortion
-He supports gay rights, not gay marriage
He was very clear on both these points in the second and third debates.

I'm just glad my home state of Florida didn't screw up this time.

As I'm glad my home state of Ohio didn't, either.

This isn't going to make the divisive politics go away. But hopefully it will lessen them somewhat.

I did notice though that at McCain's speech, they booed Obama but when Obama gave his speech, they clapped at McCain's name.

To the credit of the McCain supporters, it was only a few drunken morons who booed during McCain's speech.

Congratulations Barack Obama!

I'm conservative by most standards (but liberal around my part of the country), but I've been backing Obama since the primaries. I'm glad he got in. Here's hoping for real change for the better!

A vote for McCain / Palin is not a racist vote, not in the least bit.

I know plenty of people who voted for McCain / Palin because their fundamental beliefs for the United States fall along a conservative / Republican line of thinking, and it has absolutely nothing to do with race.

Um...where did I say it was?

My comment about the ignorance and racism in this country not winning over the election has nothing to do with McCain/Palin (I do feel that they should have been telling their supporters to stop all the unfounded hatred though...).

I have no problem with the voters who voted for McCain/Palin because they liked their plans better (even though I personally disagreed with them).

My comment is regarding the people in this country who voted for McCain because they didn't want a black man and a man with a Muslim name as their president, and choose to believe that terrorists will invade our country if Obama won...instead of doing their homework and paying attention to the real facts.

I have a couple of coworkers that think just like that, and it was infuriating to listen to.

When I defended Obama, pointing out that he was not a Muslim (and that even if he was there was nothing wrong with that, and that religion has no place in politics) and that he was in no way a terrorist...one of them turned to me and told me that I was cute and naive. That very woman claimed that she usually voted Democrat, but would vote Republican in this election because she didn't want a terrorist running the country.

THAT'S what I'm referring to when I say that I'm glad that racism and ignorance didn't win out in this election, people who think like shouldn’t be allowed to vote if you ask me!

If I was naïve about anything, it was my belief (until this election started) that racism (and ignorance) were near extinct…and that we, as a country, were better than that.

I’m ashamed to say, as this election played out and the ugliness of racism and ignorance did indeed rear its head, that I was so very wrong.

Yet, I’m thrilled and proud that in the end it didn’t win out in this election after all as I had come to fear.

I'm sorry if my original comment had come off in the wrong manner, I didn't mean it in the way you thought I had.

Last edited:
Since this thread is about supporting our next president lets come up with some ideas of how we can do that and also help our country. I'll start;

Let's invest in energy efficient light bulbs.

I'll give Obama 180 (80 days to get his cabinet together, and 100 days to set policy after inauguration) days to impress me, before I give him my support. If I'm satisfied, I'll support him. If not, I won't. Until then, I'll take a wait and see approach.

O.

I'll give Obama 180 (80 days to get his cabinet together, and 100 days to set policy after inauguration) days to impress me, before I give him my support. If I'm satisfied, I'll support him. If not, I won't. Until then, I'll take a wait and see approach.

O.

That's a good way of approaching it for all Presidents. :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"