Emmanuelle Chriqui is Lana Lang

Interesting. I wonder what role Lana plays in this.

This is her, for anyone who isn't familiar:

emmanuelle-chriqui.jpg

Emmanuelle+Chriqui+Friends+Benefits+New+York+sboPrGefajCl.jpg

hgSUI51D_400x400.jpg

She could've played Lois herself in a Teri Hatcher sort of mould. I think she definitely doesn't come across as the home town girl-next-door type. There's something too sophisticated and sexy about her for Lana.

Stacy Haiduk and Emily Procter were sophisticated and sexy. Well, really Haiduk's Lana was Lois by a different name.

Stacy Haiduk and Emily Procter were sophisticated and sexy. Well, really Haiduk's Lana was Lois by a different name.

I don't remember them. Which shows were they on?

She could've played Lois herself in a Teri Hatcher sort of mould. I think she definitely doesn't come across as the home town girl-next-door type. There's something too sophisticated and sexy about her for Lana.

Part of the fun of the original/classic Superman and Lois dynamic was the flirtation, the courtship and the hijinks that ensued from a love “triangle” consisting of only two people. But this has become old hat. Consequently, newer iterations have this famous couple in a committed and stable relationship. And arguably, this represents a more mature take on the material. Certainly, one aspect of the Superman & Lois premise - married with children - speaks to this new and different approach.

However, there’s also another aspect.

The setting is Smallville; and one of the regular characters is Lana Lang - Clark’s old sweetheart. Moreover, the Lana actor looks like a supermodel. So what at first appeared to be a step away from the typical CW romance melodrama is now seeming like a step towards it. :shrug:

Not to say that Chriqui can't play the part or that she'll appear conspicuously/inappropriately glamorous. Still, the casting choice is... curious.

Part of the fun of the original/classic Superman and Lois dynamic was the flirtation, the courtship and the hijinks that ensued from a love “triangle” consisting of only two people. But this has become old hat. Consequently, newer iterations have this famous couple in a committed and stable relationship. And arguably, this represents a more mature take on the material. Certainly, one aspect of the Superman & Lois premise - married with children - speaks to this new and different approach.

However, there’s also another aspect.

The setting is Smallville; and one of the regular characters is Lana Lang - Clark’s old sweetheart. Moreover, the Lana actor looks like a supermodel. So what at first appeared to be a step away from the typical CW romance melodrama is now seeming like a step towards it. :shrug:

Not to say that Chriqui can't play the part or that she'll appear conspicuously/inappropriately glamorous. Still, the casting choice is... curious.

Well Chriqui as Lana is definitely going to raise the question in Lois's mind "that was your ex-girlfriend???" And she might start to feel instantly threatened. Normally it's Lois who is more glamorous and sophisticated, and definitely more homely. Tulloch's Lois is almost starting to look more like a traditional Lana Lang by comparison to Emmanuelle Chriqui, who seems more exotic and more of an "opposites attract" type for Clark.

Lois seems more similar to Clark in this portrayal. And if she has been raising kids since she was in her early to mid 20s (seeing as they are now teenagers), it seems as if she's the more traditional family type than Lana, who might be more of a career woman.

It almost looks as if they've switched some of the traditional traits around. I could be surprised though and Chriqui could be playing completely against type and not playing the glamorous siren. But are the CW really going to hide THAT look?

It doesn’t really feel like from the pilot script there’s gonna be much tension there that she is Clark’s ex.

It doesn’t really feel like from the pilot script there’s gonna be much tension there that she is Clark’s ex.
As best as I can recall, that’s a fair reading of the pilot script.

But casting someone who looks like Chriqui adds an “extra-textual” element to the Lana character :word: that’s not obvious on the printed page. Moreover, they seem to be establishing that Lana has a strained and troubled home life. I.e., Kyle Cushing may have issues with alcoholism; Sarah Cushing may have attempted suicide. So these details create a nuance to the renewed Lana/Clark “friendship” that is… suggestive.

I think Emmanuelle Chriqui would bring out sexual tension with anyone.

Well, the character is not going to be all glam-ed up like the actress is in press events or her character in Entourage (who's a rich LA kid) so don't imagine her looking like so. She's playing a lower middle class hometown girl and based on the character description they want to emphasize that she stayed behind while others went on to 'bigger and better' pastures. They will most likely deglam her to fit that stereotype and present a contrast to someone who's been to the city.

She'll still look better than Lois, and that'll suit the CW just fine. Even if Clark remains perfectly steadfast, they'll like having the ghost of a love triangle to help maintain viewer interest.

I hope Lana is a good and decent person and not some femme fatale. Would be a nice change if she and Lois became friends.

I agree with the notion that Ms. Chrique could have made a good Lois Lane. :hrt:

I actually would have loved that but I'm extremely curious with them casting her as Lana.

They've definitely piqued my interest.

:hmm

Having read the pilot script I really will say to people calm down re panic over the love triangle.

Having read the pilot script I really will say to people calm down re panic over the love triangle.

Yes calm down. No love triangle. Just a couple. Superman dumps Lois for Lana. :p

Seems that Emmanuelle and Jenna Dewan are best friends in real life. Maybe they can get Jenna back as Lois's sister.

I have to say that Emmanuelle's personality and voice would've really suited Lois if she had been cast as her instead.

Last edited:
I can see Jenna Dewan reprising as Lucy Lane for Superman and Lois instead of returning to Supergirl.

I wonder if they will introduce John Henry Irons and have them date like they did in the comics. I preferred that relationship to the Pete Ross one.

I wonder if they will introduce John Henry Irons and have them date like they did in the comics. I preferred that relationship to the Pete Ross one.
I'd have preferred if he, played by Aldis Hodge, would've been in Supergirl instead of Jimmy. I could accept him in the role here.

On topic: She's older than I'd prefer. I don't know if Clark's supposed to be 44. Not that she looks it necessarily, but couldn't they have cast someone a little younger, like, if we're keeping a race change:

Hannah Simone
hannahsimone-770x470-1-600x366.jpg

Genevieve Padalecki
1416385564jenevev-padaleki.jpg

Christina Millian
main-qimg-d459c70e2a82e70feecae459dad50950

If not a race change:

Abigail Spencer
1c20b85192d84957142d340721019b58.jpg

Autumn Reeser
b1aa0c301f5d64c4abe323ccd04709b7.jpg

Julie McNiven
MV5BMTc1MTU4MTAxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTc4MzY1MDI@._V1_SY450_SX300_AL_.jpg

1c20b85192d84957142d340721019b58.jpg

There's no way they could cast Abigail Spencer as Lana Lang and not have everyone constantly thinking she'd make a better Lois Lane than Bitsie Tulloch. She could really have played the part instead and would've brought much more to the role, but would probably have outshone Tyler Hoechlin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"